Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Milk Question
Sunchimes 05:29 PM 02-04-2014
I'm not on the food program, but since the new baby went off formula last month, I've been trying to figure out what to do.
I have a 3.5 year old. I know she needs 2% milk.
I have a 2 year old who has to have almond milk.
Now, I have a 15 month old, and I know he needs whole milk.

I really don't want to be buying 3 different kinds of milk each week, 2 is bad enough. I have been giving the 3 yo whole milk and not worrying about it. I just wonder what others with an age spread do about the milk requirements.
lizzardb85 05:36 PM 02-04-2014
In Illinois we can't even give 2% to kids over 2. We have to give whole before 2 and 1% or low-fat milk after, but if the kids don't like that light of milk we can serve flavored ie chocolate or strawberry milk. Ugh most ridiculous regulation ever.
Blackcat31 05:59 PM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I'm not on the food program, but since the new baby went off formula last month, I've been trying to figure out what to do.
I have a 3.5 year old. I know she needs 2% milk.
I have a 2 year old who has to have almond milk.
Now, I have a 15 month old, and I know he needs whole milk.

I really don't want to be buying 3 different kinds of milk each week, 2 is bad enough. I have been giving the 3 yo whole milk and not worrying about it. I just wonder what others with an age spread do about the milk requirements.
If you are not on the food program and simply offer meals/beverages as part of your services, why does that have to mean accommodating special requirements?

I'd offer milk. Anyone that can't have milk, needs to supply their own. I'd also only offer one type of milk and that would be the one the majority of kids drank. If 4 out of 6 kids drink 1%, then I'd only provide that.

Soy, almond, organic, lactose free, whole etc are all pretty expensive and that choice or requirement for their child should be their expense to manage.

That's my 2 cents.
TwinKristi 06:07 PM 02-04-2014
I would just serve everyone whole milk except almond which I would have the parents supply.
itlw8 08:55 PM 02-04-2014
I found if you slowly switch them down a percentage they do not notice.If on the food program 2 and up must be given 1 % or less. My kids now have 1/2 % The actually drink skim even better. It is recommended but nor required to give 1 yr olds whole milk. I do not the parents agree they get enough fat in their diets from food and the whole milk they have at home so I just serve the 1%
Leigh 08:58 PM 02-04-2014
My food programs regs say that all kids over 12 months get 1% milk. I have one on soy and one on rice milk (with Dr. Notes). I provide all of them. I hate having 3 kinds of milk clogging up my precious fridge space, too!
Josiegirl 03:06 AM 02-05-2014
What do YOU and your family drink? Supply that, everyone else supplies their own. JMO
daycarediva 03:56 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What do YOU and your family drink? Supply that, everyone else supplies their own. JMO
This is what I do. I provide organic skim. Everyone else must supply their own, with a dr note, if they want/need something different.
Kimskiddos 06:56 AM 02-05-2014
I serve 1% milk and if a kiddo needs something other than that the parents provide it.

I have one on soy milk parents bring a 1/2 gal. container and another that just turned 2yo, his parents just brought in a sippy cup each day with whole milk, he's on my 1% now. Yay was getting tired of having to pour three different "milks" each day.
Meeko 03:42 PM 02-05-2014
It irritates me too.

The food program is strict on what kind of milk I serve.

Whole milk for the under two's
1% for the over two's.

My own family can't stand 1% (it tastes watered down..yuck) and so I buy 2% for us.

Buying three different kinds is a major pain. Especially when Costco (the cheapest around here) only sells milk in two gallon packs.
blandino 04:10 PM 02-05-2014
Our FP says that 12-24 months can drink 1% or 2%.

And says that 24m + need to have 1%.

I go with the 1%, because I don't want to buy ultiple types of milk and keep up with who needs what.
Cradle2crayons 05:26 PM 02-05-2014
I serve my two kids 1% and the rest 2% but sometimes my parents bring me their WIC milk or bring me a gallon here and there. I rarely put out money on milk.
Crazy8 06:33 PM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
This is what I do - I use almond for me but not for my dck's. They get the 2% that my kids drink/use in cereal. Anyone needing anything other than 2% supplies their own and anyone drinking milk out of a bottle supplies their own - I do cups only. Learned that when a DCM wanted baby to have three 8oz. bottles here so she only had to give 1 bottle at home. No thank you.
blandino 06:41 PM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
This is what I do - I use almond for me but not for my dck's. They get the 2% that my kids drink/use in cereal. Anyone needing anything other than 2% supplies their own and anyone drinking milk out of a bottle supplies their own - I do cups only. Learned that when a DCM wanted baby to have three 8oz. bottles here so she only had to give 1 bottle at home. No thank you.
Yes, I had a similar experience. DCG was getting two milk bottles and a zippy at breakfast & lunch. It took a while to dawn on me that we were supply an extra child's worth of milk each day to her. Now the rule is you supply what goes in the bottles.
Sunchimes 07:55 PM 02-05-2014
Thanks everyone. I talked to the mom of the 3 yo, and she is fine with giving her whole milk here. She doesn't get it at home, and the 1 cup here isn't going to make much difference. I don't mind buying the almond milk. He isn't allergic, but we suspect autism, and the therapist said that there is some evidence of a connection between casein and ASD. If it might make a difference, I'm happy to do it. It's just my husband and I here now, and we don't drink a cup of milk a week between us, so we aren't a factor is the decision.
renodeb 08:56 PM 02-08-2014
Honestly giving a 3 year old whole milk is not going to hurt him at all. Just do that.
Tags:diet, food, milk, nutrition
Reply Up