Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2019 Business Goals
BumbleBee 07:36 AM 01-01-2019
What are your business goals for 2019?

I only have 2.

1. Track my mileage better.

2. Track my hours better.
ColorfulSunburst 11:14 AM 01-01-2019
Josiegirl 01:21 PM 01-01-2019
Use up what I have instead of buying more more more.
(I found 3 boxes of 400 ct. Q-tips so far, that I had bought for crafts)

Smile and laugh with the dcks more, even if I'd rather be anywhere else. It's the simple things that count.

Maybe you don't mean these types of things? I've never had a good head for business. I do know I've got to get back into sending monthly newsletters home.
BumbleBee 02:23 PM 01-01-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Use up what I have instead of buying more more more.
(I found 3 boxes of 400 ct. Q-tips so far, that I had bought for crafts)

Smile and laugh with the dcks more, even if I'd rather be anywhere else. It's the simple things that count.

Maybe you don't mean these types of things? I've never had a good head for business. I do know I've got to get back into sending monthly newsletters home.
I mean any business related goals 😃

I, too, need to get back to enjoying the kids. I find myself sitting back and watching more and more. Burnout? I don't know but I've noticed myself doing it.

One of my non-business goals is to work on the clutter and get more organized. A large part of the clutter is daycare related, hence I buy multiples of things because I can't find what I bought the first time.

My reason for tracking hours and miles better is I know I drove more business miles then I claim, simply because my mileage tracking is horrible. Ditto for hours. I work 50-55 hours a week with kids, but data entry, billing, etc. are also done regularly and I'm horrible about keeping track of those hours.

The end result is my t/s% is lower then it should be. This results in less deductions which results in more taxes.

With wages increasing every year until 2020 in Michigan, and my business model, I need all the deductions and lower tax bill I can get to continue thriving in this business.
DaveA 04:52 AM 01-02-2019
mileage is my big one. I go a lot of places with DCKs and constantly forget to track mileage. Otherwise it is to get a new toy or activity for the classroom weekly, rotate stuff more often, and redo the outdoor slide/ playhouse.
Ms.Kay 06:58 AM 01-02-2019
To find a way out of daycare😜😎!
Cat Herder 07:18 AM 01-02-2019
I am going back to Birth to age 4.

I decided to keep a couple previously enrolled kids (from birth) as a test run, up to age 6 at parents request, and it has drained my energy, damaged my equipment/grounds and strained my resources too much. Lesson learned.

Preschool is free here at age 4, so it will not hurt families. It may limit my sibling groups, but that may actually help my illness transmission rates, so it's a wash.
Annalee 07:26 AM 01-02-2019
I just want to do daycare....without all the worry of QRIS! Not sure if I even remember what that was like

I begin every new year with QRIS renewal....I guess that's good timing as I am re-freshed from the time off but it also sets a bad tone for the upcoming months.
storybookending 07:48 AM 01-02-2019
Tracking my non daycare hours for sure. I haven’t done this in the past even though I know I’m entitled to and should be. I would always do it for a week here or a week there but nothing consistent and I ended up claiming none of it.

I also switched tax consultants as I have always felt that I know more than the guy that I was using. We will see how this one goes when we meet in February.

Better sign in/sign out sheets. Planning on updating my welcome area as a whole just waiting on my new wall clock and need to buy one more piece. Plus possibly new hooks for jackets and such but that might not get done as soon as the rest and I kind of want to paint the cubby the coats are in as well.
Mike 09:27 AM 01-02-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
To find a way out of daycare😜😎!
I'm hoping to get set up to go into daycare.
Moving into a nearby town (currently live out in the sticks) in March and maybe get daycare going this summer.
Mom2Two 01:28 PM 01-02-2019
Label and track receipt categories better for taxes.

Lots of repairs, tweaks, and that sort of thing to make my day to day tasks easier.

For example...I just bought a new Graco pnp and I notice that they have larger, opposing velcro straps, unlike my old ones where the velcro straps all go the same way. It seems like the opposing directions keep them holding together better when I move them. So I want to do a sewing project and sew new velcro onto the old ones and hopefully make them work better.

If that doesn't work though, I'll just buy new ones. It's such a pain when I'm carrying them and the crib falls out of the mattress.

Another tweak...some kids constantly play with my hinged baby gate. I want to put some hardware up to stop them fooling with it when it's not in use.

And there are tons more tweak thoughts that would make each day easier.
Josiegirl 03:11 PM 01-02-2019
I have got to bank more, spend less. Period. I've done well in many ways. I used to visit the Dollar Tree couple times a month and easily spend 40 bucks a trip. Same with WalMart, except those trips would cost me more like $100. And getting back into serving healthy basic meals costs less than feeding my junk food habit(buying things *for* the kids and they wouldn't end up getting any of it ).
Lil_Diddle 10:31 PM 01-05-2019
1) do better at keeping track of receipts and everything accounting. I put all receipts in a box and let them pile up. Tax time is a nightmare. I think I’m going to schedule a day on the calendar for each month. Hopefully seeing a visual reminder will get me motivated.

2) after seeing this years receipts, I need to budget better. I am wasting. I’m shocked at how much I’ve spent to run the daycare.

3) counterproductive to #2, but I need to spend the money to have a new/larger storage shed built. I switch out toys monthly. I want a shed with better shelving and bigger so I can stay more organized. Also my current shed leaks, so I have to make sure everything is sealed water tight.

4) focus on continuing to entice families that work on the school district schedule. Currently I have all teachers kids with the exception of two. But next year will be their last year.
Tags:2019, goals, new years resolutions
Reply Up