Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those Who Don't Use Bumbos..
littlemommy 07:20 AM 04-16-2012
What do you tell parents who are so excited for their little ones to use them?
MarinaVanessa 07:34 AM 04-16-2012
I'm in CA so I have it easy, I blame licensing. I've never liked them personally, never used them on my own kids either. I suppose I like it better when the littles are free to roll over and move around. In CA anything that's a restraining device isn't allowed. We don't use excersaucers, bouncy chairs, bumbos, etc. We even have to remove kids from high-chairs as soon as they finish eating. We can use swings at least as long as they don't sleep in them. I've never really used any of the restraint devices for my kids, I've owned one of those soft councy seats that you lay your baby in and it has straps and I've owned one jumperoo for my DD (now 7) but she didn't much care for them so I didn't bother getting any of that for my DS (now 17mo).

When a parent asks me about any of these things I explain about how using them doesn't really help the baby build muscle development because they are just sitting instead of trying to sit up on their own and I explain about how using any of the restraining devices over a prolonged period regularly can cause Hypotonia ("floppy baby syndrome").

I use play gyms for the babies and tons of tummy time . If the baby is really little and I need to prepare a meal or change another diaper etc then I use a swing.
cheerfuldom 08:28 AM 04-16-2012
I don't use them and don't like them, although I am not regulated regarding their use. I think they are just another thing to keep kids restrained and unfortunately, the moms I know that use them, use them to put baby in and scoot baby in front of the TV......I had a friend try to set up my four month old in front of a HUGE TV when we went over for dinner. I told her no thanks, baby would be fine on a blanket, facing away from the TV.
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Nothing! I tell them from the beginning that what they do with their own child and what equipment they use at home is strictly up to them but when it comes to the safety of the children in child care and the possible liability issues for me, I choose NOT to use them.

I can't imagine why a parent wouldn't understand that.
littlemommy 08:36 AM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'm in CA so I have it easy, I blame licensing. I've never liked them personally, never used them on my own kids either. I suppose I like it better when the littles are free to roll over and move around. In CA anything that's a restraining device isn't allowed. We don't use excersaucers, bouncy chairs, bumbos, etc. We even have to remove kids from high-chairs as soon as they finish eating. We can use swings at least as long as they don't sleep in them. I've never really used any of the restraint devices for my kids, I've owned one of those soft councy seats that you lay your baby in and it has straps and I've owned one jumperoo for my DD (now 7) but she didn't much care for them so I didn't bother getting any of that for my DS (now 17mo).

When a parent asks me about any of these things I explain about how using them doesn't really help the baby build muscle development because they are just sitting instead of trying to sit up on their own and I explain about how using any of the restraining devices over a prolonged period regularly can cause Hypotonia ("floppy baby syndrome").

I use play gyms for the babies and tons of tummy time . If the baby is really little and I need to prepare a meal or change another diaper etc then I use a swing.
have you ever had a parent argue or not agree with your opinion?
I had my son in physical therapy for torticollis when he was 3 months old and the therapist said that they are restrictive and don't teach anything. Dcm offered to bring one cuz he wants to sit up. I didn't get a chance to offer my opinion..but am scared she won't like it. She's a first time mom...and i remember with my son how excited i was to get one so he could sit up!
JenNJ 08:39 AM 04-16-2012
I had my son in physical therapy for torticollis when he was 3 months old and the therapist said that they are restrictive and don't teach anything. Dcm offered to bring one cuz he wants to sit up. I didn't get a chance to offer my opinion..but am scared she won't like it. She's a first time mom...and i remember with my son how excited i was to get one so he could sit up!
If he is ready to sit, he will sit. But, you can get similar support from a Boppy placed around the child's hips behind them. I do that a lot with littles who are ready to sit.
littlemommy 08:43 AM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nothing! I tell them from the beginning that what they do with their own child and what equipment they use at home is strictly up to them but when it comes to the safety of the children in child care and the possible liability issues for me, I choose NOT to use them.

Good point. I used the swing with him until i realized he became reliant on it to sleep. Speaking of sleep....he needs it!! He will only quit crying if the bottle is in his mouth...but he won't eat. I can't sit here and hold this all day!
Maybe i should get the swing back out. Just kidding!
My3cents 09:39 AM 04-16-2012
I like saucers, jumpers, swings and bumbos, vibrating seats- but not as babysitting devices. I like to use them for short periods of time to change up the views of the little's, build up muscles. I don't like walkers. I do tons of floor time, belly time too. Hope I am not alone on this, but I like mixing things up.
MarinaVanessa 09:54 AM 04-16-2012
Mention to her that the bumbo seat has been recalled once already and there is still a hot debate about whether or not they should be pulled of the shelves again due to skull fractures even from use on the floor.
Here's an article from USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ety/53032746/1

Mention to her exactly what the therapist said because he's right. The bumbo isn't exactly bad in itself or bad for the baby but even if used in moderation for normal babies it's bad for the baby's development because it interferes with the baby's mobility. The bumbo is a tool that is used so that a baby can do something (like sit up) before they are developmentally ready to do it. And what does the baby do while in it? Where is the benefit? That's the point that licensing makes when talking about them, walkers, excersaucers etc. Even when used in moderation you aren't allowing the baby to develop at his/her own proper developmental pace. I wish I had articles about it but I don't ... sorry. And don't get me wrong, I do use a swing but that's it. Nothing else. And I use the swing for an infant while I have to do something and I want the baby near me and off of the floor away from the other kids.

You can simply ask her not to bring it to you and if she wants to use it at home then at least you know that in DC the baby will get lots of practice to develop without it I know that my DC parents do have different views than I do and even my own family but you can't change everyone's minds so don't try. At least at home you can run DC the way you like.
blueclouds29 10:10 AM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I like saucers, jumpers, swings and bumbos, vibrating seats- but not as babysitting devices. I like to use them for short periods of time to change up the views of the little's, build up muscles. I don't like walkers. I do tons of floor time, belly time too. Hope I am not alone on this, but I like mixing things up.
you are not the only one. I use the same thing and the bumpo but not a lot. The bumpo seems like a suction! I do a lot of floor play but when the kids are dancing and playing i use the boucy seat and the saucer. I see nothing wrong with them at all. You just have to USE them the right way and not as a babysitter like you said
Jennick 08:17 PM 04-24-2012
I agree with most of the parents here that you should be cautious. I suggest reading some reviews and safety issues first. If you go to http://babytopgear.com they have a good review on when you should use a Bumbo and some of the safety issues from the manufacturer.
Crazy8 04:38 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I agree with you. I think anything in moderation is fine. I have a bumbo seat, can't remember the last time I used it but there is a little time right before baby can sit up that it came in handy. I'd sit him in it for feedings or sometimes for circle time if I couldn't put him on my lap, etc. Once he sat on his own it got tossed aside. Great thing about daycare and multiple kids is you don't feel like any one product is a "waste of money" because you use it for a short time. I don't think its appropriate for a 3-4 month old so I'm really only using it for a month or two with most kids. It just helps to change their view of the room/kids for a while. Same with the saucer and the little toddler rocker I have. My babies spend lots of time on the floor but once in a while its nice to be able to have something to sit them in.
thatdivalady 05:11 PM 04-25-2012
I think that things are good in moderation and I feel that a good portion of the problems with equipment like this is a lack of supervision, overuse, and misunderstanding of the original intent. I personally like the exersaucer (but you do have to make sure that the child is able to be flat-footed), the dreaded "walker" (but how about we don't use it near stairs and supervise the children?) and the bumbo (don't think you can walk away somewhere while the child is in it). I swear there are so many things that my generation grew up with that was absolutely fine but now that you have lazier people who think everything can be used to just put the child in, they are suddenly deadly...
DaycareMama 07:36 PM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is what i say also.
Reply Up