Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Question About The Random Drug Test Post...
youretooloud 03:43 PM 03-28-2011
Has it been closed? Or locked? I posted on it, and it didn't move or show my post.

I just wonder if I should take it personally, or if it has something to do with the post it'self.
youretooloud 03:57 PM 03-28-2011
Nevermind.. it showed up.
Abigail 04:29 PM 03-28-2011
The post should be closed because it's annoying. It's more of a personal battle than anything.
Michael 06:15 PM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
The post should be closed because it's annoying. It's more of a personal battle than anything.
Let me know next time something like this crops up.
QualiTcare 08:38 PM 03-28-2011
i peeked at it a few times, but never considered it out of hand. everyone isn't going to agree on everything - there are going to be debates (in real life and online) and if a particular debate upsets someone, i think they should walk away - literally or virtually.
jen 05:31 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i peeked at it a few times, but never considered it out of hand. everyone isn't going to agree on everything - there are going to be debates (in real life and online) and if a particular debate upsets someone, i think they should walk away - literally or virtually.
I agree...if we close every thread that someone disagrees with, there won't be much left.
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I agree...if we close every thread that someone disagrees with, there won't be much left.
I agree. The main reason I visit this board is to see/read the threads that are hot topics of debate. Never in a person's life will you learn more than in those times that a person feels strongly about something and is willing to share their opinions and see how others see it. It is like being able to view things from every angle rather than only looking in one side.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
~Martin Luther King Jr.

dEHmom 08:19 AM 03-29-2011
yep. Well said blackcat.

I like the hot topics as well.

I disagree with what the op in the other thread was talking about, because I personally like to drink on my spare time. Sometimes I drink more than others, but it never NEVER affects my ability to care for the children.

And I don't have anything against marijuana (I do not smoke it, but have in the past, and know people who do) and I know the truth about it, and I know exactly how it does and does not affect someone. Some people are better off smoking weed, then drinking. THATS A TRUTH. And some people are better off smoking weed than being sober. To each their own. My complaint with weed is the dopes who have to sit there all day and do it ALL day to make it through. But if someone wants to smoke it on a saturday night with the friends once a year, and a random drug test happens to be 2 weeks after, well now that person's career is gone. Also, my concern with marijuana is that there are a lot of jerks out there who lace it with other stuff, so the consumers keep coming back for more. Those guys deserve to rot in a jail cell.

YES it is not ok to use illegal substances. I am not saying everyone should go use weed cause it is ok. But I have known many many professionals in many professional fields who smoke weed, and that does not make them bad people, unworthy or irresponsible. Alcohol used to have a stigma on it too. The government has not figured out a way to control it, and profit on it (tax it), so they keep it illegal. AS SOON as the government finds a way to profit on it regularly, it will be legal just like alcohol. thats mo. Agree or disagree I really don't care.
youretooloud 08:32 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
AS SOON as the government finds a way to profit on it regularly, it will be legal just like alcohol. thats mo. Agree or disagree I really don't care.

So true. They should sell if legally (and safely) then tax the heck out of it. And, ya know what? Sometimes, when I need a few extra motrins, I'd smoke weed instead. Not often, but I'd sure love the option.
dEHmom 08:42 AM 03-29-2011
I know I sort of hijacked this in a sense, but here's where I stand...

I'm saying this from a stance of a casual, once in a blue moon type thing.

Alcohol - legal & can kill you

Cigarettes- legal and can kill you and filled with toxins and cancer causing

Marijuana- its a plant, no carcinogens that cause cancer (unless you mix it with tobacco), nothing addictive is in marijuana (unless laced) other than YOU might enjoy the high and choose to do it more often, but that's a choice. it does increase heart rate which in some can increase risk of heart failure. But SO DOES EVERYTHING!

Am I wrong?

ETA: long term use of weed is harmful (same as alcohol of course) because it can weaken your immune system, more chest infections due to the coughing, phlegm production, and bacteria/infections will just take over.
youretooloud 08:52 AM 03-29-2011

Marijuana- its a plant, no carcinogens that cause cancer, nothing addictive is in marijuana (unless laced) other than YOU might enjoy the high and choose to do it more often, but that's a choice.

Am I wrong?
Nothing to hijack, this is better than my concerns over being censored in the drug test post. LOL

Anyway.. I have a friend who broke her spine, they offered her heavy duty prescription pain killers. She'd have to take them the rest of her life. But, they made her depressed and she gained 30 lbs. So, they gave her Xanax. Xanax and prescription pain killers. Now she was pretty much brain dead. (in her own happy little world) She stopped calling me, she didn't get on facebook, she never went anywhere.

So, she went to Eugene Oregon, got a bag full of pot, and quit taking all of the prescriptions. It changed her life. Now she has a "green card" AND is part owner in a pot farm!! (I had no idea there was such a thing) She pays a certain amount each year, and two or three times a year, she puts on her hippy clothes and Birkenstock sandals, drives to Eugene and spends a week farming, picking, or whatever it is they do. She takes her share home, and leaves the rest for others who have "stock" in this pot farm.

I wish I lived closer to Eugene.
QualiTcare 11:34 PM 03-29-2011

I'm saying this from a stance of a casual, once in a blue moon type thing.

Marijuana- its a plant, no carcinogens that cause cancer (unless you mix it with tobacco), nothing addictive is in marijuana (unless laced) other than YOU might enjoy the high and choose to do it more often, but that's a choice. it does increase heart rate which in some can increase risk of heart failure. But SO DOES EVERYTHING!

Am I wrong?

ETA: long term use of weed is harmful (same as alcohol of course) because it can weaken your immune system, more chest infections due to the coughing, phlegm production, and bacteria/infections will just take over.
i agree 100%. i used to smoke it like a freight train, but stopped when i got pregnant. the ONLY reason i haven't done it since having children is because it's illegal and that scares me. i was the one who when i'd visit someone they'd say, "are you high?" cus i usually was. my roomate and i even had an article in our college newspaper cus we got "busted" after a "strange aroma" was detected from our dorm - lol. but i always tell this story that literally scared me straight:

i was minding my own business in my apartment after i just got home from working as a waitress (and i still had my uniform on) when someone knocked on the door. i opened it up to find a police officer who asked if he could come in. my daughter who was just a couple months old was lying on the couch and as he was eyeballing everything he proceeded to tell me that someone called to say there was a guy standing on my porch steps trying to sell drugs to kids that were passing by on their bikes! i was like WHAT?! i just got home from work and trying to get settled (which was obvious by my uniform and infant) but told him i couldn't speak for my neighbors who happened to be a midget who went by the name of "shorty" and some other crazy looking man who told me he was joining the circus - true story. the cop laughed at the crazy/true story, complimented me on my apartment, and left.

i thought to myself, "WHAT IF i had been smoking a bowl before he knocked on my door (not near my child of course)" do you know what would've happened if i opened the door for that police officer and he smelled marijuana? ESPECIALLY with me having a child? i would've gone to jail, the teacher that i later became would've never happened, and my child could've possibly been taken away. i was doing NOTHING wrong. it was a false alarm. there was NO reason for a cop to be at my apartment. after that - as much as i loved smoking, and as much as i think alcohol is 1,000 times worse - i didn't touch it. it wasn't worth it.

i agree with you though. people get drunk and beat their wives/kids. people don't smoke a joint and beat them up. the law has really and literally killed my buzz.
dEHmom 04:50 AM 03-30-2011
hahaha great story QualiT.

This was my last time.....3 yrs ago almost exactly.

Super bad pregnancy, constantly hospitalized because of placental previa, placental abruption, blood clots etc....Not to be gross, but basically every day, I could've filled a bucket with the blood I'd lose. One morning in february, same thing, but I told hubs don't worry it'll stop just go to work. But it didn't stop, and I passed out a few times with the amount lost. I didn't want my 2 kids seeing it, so I called my mil to take me to hospital, and she did, i was passed out when she got here. My cousin was living with us, so we just left a note cause she was sleeping.

Anyways, ds was born almost 2 months early, emerg. c sec in the next city. I refused the blood transfusion and the docs told me because I am normally anemic, that it saved my life, because my body was able to handle the blood loss. Otherwise we both would have died.

Ok that was the background....

DS 1 month old, ALWAYS throwing up. ALWAYS across the room. I was using big bath towels for a burping cloth it was so bad. My house was a mountain of dirty laundry, I was home alone with 3 kids (hubs had to work alot to pay the bills) blah blah. I couldn't sleep, eat, was depressed.

I had a hoot. Baby starts crying, so get a bottle hubs and I sit on couch to feed him, and hubs and I cuddled together to feed baby and all of a sudden, ds eyes go really big, milk (formula) is pouring out of his nose, and mouth, he is choking, and struggling to get a breath (remember this baby is tiny and fits in my hand still). If it wasn't for hubby I don't know what I would've done! I panicked, and he had to take ds from me, and clear out his throat and nose, and we had to prop him up.

I know it was wrong, but we figured babes were in bed, sleeping, and we'd be asleep and high would be gone before kids woke up.

Needless to say, I was scared we were going to have to go to the hospital and our eyes would be all red. I never wanted to feel like that ever again. My son had pyloric stenosis, that is why he was vomiting the way he was. We didn't know that yet. But I never want to worry about not being sober enough to take care of my children. It was stupid. you NEVER know when something can happen.

ETA: hubs was regular smoker of it, and he actually functioned a lot better high. He was more cautious and gentle, and stays calm which is what actually saved the day. Me i just panicked. We are both marijuana free now though
Unregistered 06:17 AM 03-30-2011
I really cant even imagine the life style of being high while feeding my baby or getting high at all as an adult. Just my opinion to each his own, but daycare families I have that get high I think are trash. Daycare families that I have that drink to get drunk are trash. Such a different life style you all think is okay. As an adult, parent and daycare provider I would never do the things I did as a teenager. Its called growing up and now I can see why people would want their daycare provider tested for drugs.
dEHmom 06:52 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I really cant even imagine the life style of being high while feeding my baby or getting high at all as an adult. Just my opinion to each his own, but daycare families I have that get high I think are trash. Daycare families that I have that drink to get drunk are trash. Such a different life style you all think is okay. As an adult, parent and daycare provider I would never do the things I did as a teenager. Its called growing up and now I can see why people would want their daycare provider tested for drugs.
If you can't tell, I wasn't a regular smoker of it.

And I was not doing daycare at the time.

I was VERY clear in my explaination to show that I am not a chronic user. I don't normally use it. And I wasn't sitting there with my baby and getting high.

While I can appreciate you have your opinion, you do not need to put me down.

I don't do drugs. I don't generally drink to get drunk, but I have on occassion gotten drunk, and that does not make me trash.

You say to each his own, yet, you put me down for sharing my story. An opinion is an opinion, but it doesn't make you better than me.

ETA: I was given prescription narcotics to try and sleep. They knocked me off my ass. I preferred not to take them. Advil, aspirin, and tylenol did nothing. So I had 1 hoot of marijuana to help me sleep (and not be completely useless and sleep through my child choking?) better or worse? Who knows. I just know that I chose never to smoke it again. EVER.

You can call me trash if you want. I can call you many names too. You don't know me, and I don't know you. Maybe you would choose the narcotics instead.

oh and another thing.....I didn't do anything like that when I was a teenager. Worst thing I did as a teenager was smoking cigarettes.
Unregistered 07:01 AM 03-30-2011
If you can't tell, I wasn't a regular smoker of it.

And I was not doing daycare at the time.

I was VERY clear in my explaination to show that I am not a chronic user. I don't normally use it. And I wasn't sitting there with my baby and getting high.

While I can appreciate you have your opinion, you do not need to put me down.

I don't do drugs. I don't generally drink to get drunk, but I have on occassion gotten drunk, and that does not make me trash.

You say to each his own, yet, you put me down for sharing my story. An opinion is an opinion, but it doesn't make you better than me.
Yes I got that you didnt smoke it all the time, I get that it wasnt during daycare hours, I get that you werent smoking while feeding your baby, but a one month old doesnt sleep through the night and since he was so premature if it were my kid I would want to be in my most alert state of mind. I just dont agree with being high while feeding a baby, not even the fact that you werent puffing away while feeding them the fact that you were puffing away at all. I just think certain behaviors should stop when you are an adult. I didnt say I was better than you I said that is not my life style and the parents that I have that are high around their kids I do think are trash. And I am sure they think Im a stuck up BI*** but I dont care, I never have had the fear of someone thinking I was high, I have never had fear of cops coming to my home and I have never had the fear of my baby choking while I was stoned out of my mind.

If I was a parent and I knew that my daycare provider even had a small amount of illegal drugs in there home that would be the end of that and I would make sure to let every other parent know what was inside their home.
missnikki 07:07 AM 03-30-2011
I hardly think it's dangerous to laugh, eat, and sleep yourself silly once in a while.

Flame me all you want, with responsible use it is perfectly fine IMHO.

I'll join the ranks of George Clooney, Willie Nelson, and John Kennedy, Jr, even if they are 'loser trash'.
youretooloud 07:15 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
, Willie Nelson.
LOL Have you seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iezk-z6hy9k

OK.. I am pro-pot. But, I will never, ever smoke pot while it's illegal. I don't ever do anything illegal. I won't even have a few sips of alcohol and drive. Ever. I am the most rule following person in the entire world.
missnikki 07:19 AM 03-30-2011
Oh I'm with ya on that one too, you'retooloud! That's why I have a green card for a particular situation, which allows me the occasional stress relief as needed (rare, trust me.)
dEHmom 07:21 AM 03-30-2011
I'm going to check that video out.

I agree with you too, I actually called the cops a few times to inform them of my mom driving after have 2 beers, and friends who were supposed to stay here the night, but decided it was better to leave and go to the bar (and drive).

I cannot stand people who drive intoxicated/inebriated. It ticks me off because it's not them I am worried about, it is the person they might hurt or kill.

It is not ok to be intoxicated in public imo (unless you're drinking at a bar). I prefer to drink in the comfort of my own home. lol. Then I NEVER have to worry about anything like rides home, where's my car, etc.

I heard in usa it's easy to get a green card. Go and fill out a form, say your back hurts and you get it. Is it true? lol.
marniewon 07:42 AM 03-30-2011
I'm going to check that video out.

I agree with you too, I actually called the cops a few times to inform them of my mom driving after have 2 beers, and friends who were supposed to stay here the night, but decided it was better to leave and go to the bar (and drive).

I cannot stand people who drive intoxicated/inebriated. It ticks me off because it's not them I am worried about, it is the person they might hurt or kill.

It is not ok to be intoxicated in public imo (unless you're drinking at a bar). I prefer to drink in the comfort of my own home. lol. Then I NEVER have to worry about anything like rides home, where's my car, etc.

I heard in usa it's easy to get a green card. Go and fill out a form, say your back hurts and you get it. Is it true? lol.
I agree that it's way more convenient to drink at home. I prefer that also.

As far as pot goes, I don't do it. Not because I'm some goody-two-shoes - it just makes me sick!! The few times I tried it I got sick as a dog. Now, my ex did it daily, and I was okay with it as long as he did it outside (and stored it outside - no way was I losing my kids because of his "habit"). He was fairly enjoyable when high, and fairly abusive while drunk. So which do you think I preferred? LOL

A very long time ago I worked at a convenience store. It was Christmas Eve and our (of all people) beer distributor came in completely wasted. You could smell it on him, he passed out in the cooler for a few, etc. When he was done with the delivery, he got back in his huge semi and started to drive away. As he pulled out I could see him drinking from a beer can. I called the cops ASAP and they caught up to him just down the road. Can you imagine the damage he could have done with that semi in a residential area on a holiday?? I had to go testify in court. His lawyer tried to say that he was sick and taking cold medicine. Ha Ha. Yeah, he lost his CDL (or whatever that license is) and went to jail.

I'm on the side that pot should be legal, regulated and taxed like cigarettes or alcohol. I don't have a problem with people who smoke pot. As long as it's not all day long every day. Same with drinking.
Meyou 07:46 AM 03-30-2011
I think it's shameful that we are "ok" with alcohol being legal despite all the drunk driving accidents, teen deaths and other horror stories associated with drinking but weed is a gateway to heck. Pro-weed all the way.
dEHmom 07:47 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I agree that it's way more convenient to drink at home. I prefer that also.

As far as pot goes, I don't do it. Not because I'm some goody-two-shoes - it just makes me sick!! The few times I tried it I got sick as a dog. Now, my ex did it daily, and I was okay with it as long as he did it outside (and stored it outside - no way was I losing my kids because of his "habit"). He was fairly enjoyable when high, and fairly abusive while drunk. So which do you think I preferred? LOL

A very long time ago I worked at a convenience store. It was Christmas Eve and our (of all people) beer distributor came in completely wasted. You could smell it on him, he passed out in the cooler for a few, etc. When he was done with the delivery, he got back in his huge semi and started to drive away. As he pulled out I could see him drinking from a beer can. I called the cops ASAP and they caught up to him just down the road. Can you imagine the damage he could have done with that semi in a residential area on a holiday?? I had to go testify in court. His lawyer tried to say that he was sick and taking cold medicine. Ha Ha. Yeah, he lost his CDL (or whatever that license is) and went to jail.

I'm on the side that pot should be legal, regulated and taxed like cigarettes or alcohol. I don't have a problem with people who smoke pot. As long as it's not all day long every day. Same with drinking.
wow, glad his career is down tube as a driver!!! lol.

It makes me mad watching some things that go on. And i hate that people think pot is the same as crack, etc. Drugs are drugs, some are legal, some are not. They are all dangerous if used improperly.

Hubs was regular in the sense that he did it every night before bed. And he is much more tolerable when high. It sucks because it was a little too late by the time I realized this!!! hahahahahahahaha. We were already married with kids before I realized he's almost unbearable when he's sober.
marniewon 08:02 AM 03-30-2011
wow, glad his career is down tube as a driver!!! lol.

It makes me mad watching some things that go on. And i hate that people think pot is the same as crack, etc. Drugs are drugs, some are legal, some are not. They are all dangerous if used improperly.

Hubs was regular in the sense that he did it every night before bed. And he is much more tolerable when high. It sucks because it was a little too late by the time I realized this!!! hahahahahahahaha. We were already married with kids before I realized he's almost unbearable when he's sober.
Yes, I used to work at a bar and a guy used to come in all the time. He was hooked on oxy and drank quite a bit also. He died. Was a shame, he was a young guy and he and his wife just had a baby. Sad. But just goes to prove that drugs are drugs and legal or not, they can kill you (or wreck your life).

That's exactly my ex! Didn't realize that I preferred him high until we were married with babies. Up to that point I'd never seen him just drunk, and didn't realize what a mean drunk he was.
dEHmom 08:06 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Yes, I used to work at a bar and a guy used to come in all the time. He was hooked on oxy and drank quite a bit also. He died. Was a shame, he was a young guy and he and his wife just had a baby. Sad. But just goes to prove that drugs are drugs and legal or not, they can kill you (or wreck your life).

That's exactly my ex! Didn't realize that I preferred him high until we were married with babies. Up to that point I'd never seen him just drunk, and didn't realize what a mean drunk he was.
Yeah, my hubs isn't exactly mean drunk, but if he drinks hard liquior he gets annoying, then obnoxious, then mouthy and passes out. If he drinks beer he gets goofy. so it really depends of the flavor he chooses.

I never really noticed that he was high all the time when I first met him, because he was always like that since he was like 13 yo and always had a hat on so couldn't really see the eyes much. As he got older, he smoked less and less, and then eventually none at all. But while we were a couple, he only smoked before bed.
Unregistered 08:47 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I think it's shameful that we are "ok" with alcohol being legal despite all the drunk driving accidents, teen deaths and other horror stories associated with drinking but weed is a gateway to heck. Pro-weed all the way.
Maybe as a society we need to not be okay with drunkenness, then. The problem with telling a drunk driver not to drive is that they lacked the ability to make a reasonable decision when drunk!

So I have to wonder, wouldn't the same thing happen with weed if it were legalized and more readily available?

I'm okay with alcohol, I'm not okay with getting drunk. That's where I get stuck on the legal pot argument--most people I know who drink are very good at limiting themselves. Not just knowing not to drive when drunk, but not getting drunk in the first place, especially when they're responsible for their child (awake or asleep). The people I know who smoke weed, however, smoke to get high.
QualiTcare 07:34 PM 03-30-2011
Yes I got that you didnt smoke it all the time, I get that it wasnt during daycare hours, I get that you werent smoking while feeding your baby, but a one month old doesnt sleep through the night and since he was so premature if it were my kid I would want to be in my most alert state of mind. I just dont agree with being high while feeding a baby, not even the fact that you werent puffing away while feeding them the fact that you were puffing away at all. I just think certain behaviors should stop when you are an adult. I didnt say I was better than you I said that is not my life style and the parents that I have that are high around their kids I do think are trash. And I am sure they think Im a stuck up BI*** but I dont care, I never have had the fear of someone thinking I was high, I have never had fear of cops coming to my home and I have never had the fear of my baby choking while I was stoned out of my mind.

If I was a parent and I knew that my daycare provider even had a small amount of illegal drugs in there home that would be the end of that and I would make sure to let every other parent know what was inside their home.
who had fear of cops coming to their home? i wasn't afraid when the cop came to my home (for NO REASON) because i wasn't doing anything wrong. i wasn't high. i actually hadn't smoked since before i became pregnant. i was simply stating that it was the moment i decided that i would never do it again. the consequences when i was young and didn't have children were worth the risk, but once i had a child the consequences weren't worth the risk so i didn't do it.

i know, how trashy of me!
QualiTcare 07:37 PM 03-30-2011
Maybe as a society we need to not be okay with drunkenness, then. The problem with telling a drunk driver not to drive is that they lacked the ability to make a reasonable decision when drunk!

So I have to wonder, wouldn't the same thing happen with weed if it were legalized and more readily available?

I'm okay with alcohol, I'm not okay with getting drunk. That's where I get stuck on the legal pot argument--most people I know who drink are very good at limiting themselves. Not just knowing not to drive when drunk, but not getting drunk in the first place, especially when they're responsible for their child (awake or asleep). The people I know who smoke weed, however, smoke to get high.
come on - you drink to get a buzz and you smoke to get a buzz. saying that people who drink can drink without getting drunk, but people who smoke do it to get HIGH is playing with words.

what's the difference in drinking a beer or two (enough to ge a buzz, but not be drunk) and smoking a hit or two (again, enough to have a buzz, but not be HIGH)?
Unregistered 07:24 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
come on - you drink to get a buzz and you smoke to get a buzz. saying that people who drink can drink without getting drunk, but people who smoke do it to get HIGH is playing with words.

what's the difference in drinking a beer or two (enough to ge a buzz, but not be drunk) and smoking a hit or two (again, enough to have a buzz, but not be HIGH)?
I thought buzzed was the same thing as drunk? I don't mean that in a mean way, just that seriously, I've always heard that if you're "buzzed" you've had too much to drive. My DH is sober 4 yrs, and in his drinking years he always said he "just wanted a nice buzz." He wanted to be drunk, and will admit so now. Sorry, maybe it's just semantics.

IRL, the only people I know personally who smoke don't care if they're affected. They want to be affected, and a couple of them think nothing of driving while flat-out stoned.

Affected by alcohol or affected by weed--it's still a problem. And I don't see how making weed legal does any good for anyone (not talking medical).
Meyou 08:43 AM 03-31-2011

What makes you think weed isn't readily available now?? It is but at higher prices and lesser qualities than it would be if it was legalized and regulated. Weed is going through the same paces as alcohol did 100 years ago. 100 years ago Al Capone was one of the most wanted men in the USA and the world because he sold whisky. Now every cornerstore in the US sells it. What's changed with the liquor?? Nothing that I can see...its just the socially acceptable standard has changed.

Noone should drive while taking any type of perception altering substance. Alcohol, illegal drugs, legal drugs, huffable substances or whatever....the legality or illegality of the substance has NOTHING to do with my opinion on whether people should be driving. That's pretty much a given isn't it?? That people shouldn't drive all messed up? Technically we could included sleep deprived and emotionally distraught people since I don't think they should drive either.

My problem is that our governments are dragging their feet on legalizing weed when in comparison it's much less harmful than its legal and socially acceptable counterpart alcohol. They're also missing out on an opportunity to tax and control the drug which has a hugely useful and PROFITABLE "side product" of hemp which has hundreds of uses from clothing to paper. Missing an opportunity to relieve a strain on our criminal justice systems for all those tax payers dollars spend prosecution of every teen found with a gram in their pocket. In fact by not legalizing it they're contributing to the ease in which drug dealers find their customers.
Cat Herder 08:49 AM 03-31-2011
Go RICO!!!!!!

http://narcoticsanon.blogspot.com/#

That is all.......
Unregistered 10:54 AM 03-31-2011
What makes you think weed isn't readily available now?? It is but at higher prices and lesser qualities than it would be if it was legalized and regulated. Weed is going through the same paces as alcohol did 100 years ago. 100 years ago Al Capone was one of the most wanted men in the USA and the world because he sold whisky. Now every cornerstore in the US sells it. What's changed with the liquor?? Nothing that I can see...its just the socially acceptable standard has changed.

Noone should drive while taking any type of perception altering substance. Alcohol, illegal drugs, legal drugs, huffable substances or whatever....the legality or illegality of the substance has NOTHING to do with my opinion on whether people should be driving. That's pretty much a given isn't it?? That people shouldn't drive all messed up? Technically we could included sleep deprived and emotionally distraught people since I don't think they should drive either.

My problem is that our governments are dragging their feet on legalizing weed when in comparison it's much less harmful than its legal and socially acceptable counterpart alcohol. They're also missing out on an opportunity to tax and control the drug which has a hugely useful and PROFITABLE "side product" of hemp which has hundreds of uses from clothing to paper. Missing an opportunity to relieve a strain on our criminal justice systems for all those tax payers dollars spend prosecution of every teen found with a gram in their pocket. In fact by not legalizing it they're contributing to the ease in which drug dealers find their customers.
Interesting argument! I think you hit the key phrase, though: social acceptability. That makes comparing the prohibition of alcohol and the illegality of marijuana hard for me to accept. Most American households used alcohol at one point or another, even if just for special occasions, before prohibition. At some points in history, alcohol was even necessary because drinking water wasn't very safe (ie, watered wine). While people may have used weed, it was always a fringe part of the population in the US. Apples and oranges, IMO. And part of the reason marijuana hasn't been legalized federally has a lot to do with how the governed see it, not the government.

If marijuana were legal, of course it would be more readily available. Oh, I know it's not hard to find now. Neither is meth (the big problem drug around here right now) and a host of others. Some growers who wouldn't want to take the risk of jail growing an illegal substance would jump at the chance to grow it legally. And when it's more readily available without penalty, more people are going to use it. Especially teens, even if we tell them they can't (one of the issues with teens and alcohol).

Now, I do think some of our mandatory sentencing laws are ridiculous, and that could be a place for some serious reform. And I think that there should be a federal amendment regarding medical marijuana--because that would make it easier for it to be prescribed and controlled, rather than the hodge-podge of state laws that allow for a lot of abuse by those who really don't need it.
Unregistered 11:14 AM 03-31-2011
If you have ever seen a baby neglected while the mother was high on pot, and the condition/environment the child was in you would probably have a whole different view on the subject. Sad Sad Sad..... no more to say. Seems like a lot of you are for this......sorry I am against.
Meyou 12:22 PM 03-31-2011
If you have ever seen a baby neglected while the mother was high on pot, and the condition/environment the child was in you would probably have a whole different view on the subject. Sad Sad Sad..... no more to say. Seems like a lot of you are for this......sorry I am against.
I've watched my father suffer the after effects of having an alcoholic father for the past 33 years of my life even though my grandfather died in a house fire 23 years ago that he set himself because he was drunk and smoking and passed out. I lost my best friend when I was 7 to a drunk driver.....he was carried 2 blocks on the hood of the drunks car after being hit on a crosswalk with his mother and brother. The guy got 18 months. Should I continue with more personal sob stories to make my point more tragic than yours?

A neglected child has parents with issues...regardless of drug use. People with substance abuse problems have issues. If you want to make that argument every child ever beaten by a drunken father should be a perfect example to ban alcohol. Rather than use shock and awe to make your point perhaps you can say sometime concrete.
Meyou 12:35 PM 03-31-2011
Interesting argument! I think you hit the key phrase, though: social acceptability. That makes comparing the prohibition of alcohol and the illegality of marijuana hard for me to accept. Most American households used alcohol at one point or another, even if just for special occasions, before prohibition. At some points in history, alcohol was even necessary because drinking water wasn't very safe (ie, watered wine). While people may have used weed, it was always a fringe part of the population in the US. Apples and oranges, IMO. And part of the reason marijuana hasn't been legalized federally has a lot to do with how the governed see it, not the government.

If marijuana were legal, of course it would be more readily available. Oh, I know it's not hard to find now. Neither is meth (the big problem drug around here right now) and a host of others. Some growers who wouldn't want to take the risk of jail growing an illegal substance would jump at the chance to grow it legally. And when it's more readily available without penalty, more people are going to use it. Especially teens, even if we tell them they can't (one of the issues with teens and alcohol).

Now, I do think some of our mandatory sentencing laws are ridiculous, and that could be a place for some serious reform. And I think that there should be a federal amendment regarding medical marijuana--because that would make it easier for it to be prescribed and controlled, rather than the hodge-podge of state laws that allow for a lot of abuse by those who really don't need it.
This is just a quick google search:
http://brainz.org/420-milestones-history-marijuana/

There is a long history of use all over the world. Just because there has been a anti-drug campaign (for those drugs governments find convenient to pursue) for less than the last century doesn't mean we should dismiss 1000's of years of history. Especially when we legalize things much worse.
dEHmom 12:40 PM 03-31-2011
"side product" of hemp
I like EVERYTHING you said Meyou and you said it way better than I could've ever attempted to.

But you had one point quoted above I'd like to correct you on

Hemp is a cousin of the weed plant. Neither one of them is the same. Hemp gets a bad name because of it's relationship with Marijuana, although they are nothing more than just cousins
dEHmom 12:47 PM 03-31-2011
And again...

Your points come down to the irresponsible people.

ANYONE can neglect a baby, whether stoned, drunk or sober.

There are many people out there who should've never been allowed to breed, unfortunately, we can't stop that.

Cigarettes and alcohol are available to the young children. But there are laws against selling to minors, and whoever does should be caught and prosecuted. HOWEVER...who would you rather a child receive something like alcohol or drugs from IF they choose to go out and get it anyways? from some punk on the street who more than likely laced it? OR from a store with a crooked clerk who turns a blind eye to the age? If a teenager wants it, a teenager will get it. No matter where it's from. Drug dealer on the street in a bad neighborhood, or the local grocery/corner store.
missnikki 03:39 PM 03-31-2011
I like EVERYTHING you said Meyou and you said it way better than I could've ever attempted to.

But you had one point quoted above I'd like to correct you on

Hemp is a cousin of the weed plant. Neither one of them is the same. Hemp gets a bad name because of it's relationship with Marijuana, although they are nothing more than just cousins
If you've ever worn hemp, lemme tell ya...it is very scratchy and uncomfortable.

It is fabulous however for paper, twine/rope and canvas. A hugely renewable resource- moreso than bamboo (it grows like a weed!)
dEHmom 03:55 PM 03-31-2011
If you've ever worn hemp, lemme tell ya...it is very scratchy and uncomfortable.

It is fabulous however for paper, twine/rope and canvas. A hugely renewable resource- moreso than bamboo (it grows like a weed!)
hahahahahahaha
I was the one promoting the hemp seeds(hearts) and oils and such. I think hemp is such an amazing superfood, and now it is everywhere. Seems like all my preaching about it on daycare.com got it somewhere!
missnikki 04:33 PM 03-31-2011
hahahahahahaha
I was the one promoting the hemp seeds(hearts) and oils and such. I think hemp is such an amazing superfood, and now it is everywhere. Seems like all my preaching about it on daycare.com got it somewhere!
OK this better not get out people... I was a 'Hemp Fairy' at a NORML NHA (National Hemp Alliance) rally in Los Angeles a couple of times back in college...

So funny! That info stays in this room, I swear!
dEHmom 04:49 PM 03-31-2011
OK this better not get out people... I was a 'Hemp Fairy' at a NORML NHA (National Hemp Alliance) rally in Los Angeles a couple of times back in college...

So funny! That info stays in this room, I swear!
hahahahah lips are sealed...

hey did you hear about miss nikki? ahahah jk.
Meyou 03:28 AM 04-01-2011

You've never felt good hemp fabric then and you're missing out!! It is by far the most delightful, soft fabric I have ever sewed with. It wears and washes better than cotton, doesn't pill and drapes like a dream. I'm drooling just thinking about sewing it's overpriced goodness.

DEHmom - you're totally right about hemp being a cousin. I should have been more specific that since the growing requirements for both plants are so similar we're missing out on the whole industry and it's applications. Hemp is dismissed and underused because of it's relationship with marijuana. Also because there are so closely related there is a great possibility that they non0smokable or eatable parts of the marijuana plant could be used for other applications like paper.
Tags:drug test, drugs, legalizing pot debate, random drug test
Reply Up