Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think Of The New Baby Doll?
My Lil' Monkeys 03:39 AM 03-30-2011
I got up this morning and the news was just going on and on about a new breastfeeding baby doll. I'm just wondering how you feel about the doll?

I think girls (and some boys) are going to mimic their mothers feeding a sibling and I really don't have a problem with the doll

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/now_at...causes-outrage

P.S. I'm not trying starting any "outrage" ... just thought I would see how others felt about it as it's ALL over my news
Cat Herder 03:53 AM 03-30-2011
Well, I had a doll that I gave water to so she peed her pants, another that I fed baby food gel to that pooped her pants, and a huge plastic cow that lapped up water from a bowl, had a white refill packet that was shoved in its bottom that then had to be milked.....

Remember the hullabalu about the anatomically correct dolls in the 80's? My Mom went ahead and got me the junior high science class ones whose organs fell out...

I think I turned out remotely "normal", muahahaha.......

A breastfeeding doll really sounds tame to me...... Ah, the 70's
MamaBearCW 03:56 AM 03-30-2011
I think that it is really cute. I nursed all of my children, and my girls did "breastfeed" thier dolls when they were little. I guess my youngest did not however since she never seen me breastfeed another baby besides her twin brother. I would love to get this doll. I will keep my eye out for it.
SilverSabre25 04:18 AM 03-30-2011
As a mama who is still breastfeeding a three year old, I don't have a problem with it except for one thing...WHY does everything need electronics?! What is so darn hard about holding a doll to their chest and saying, "I'm nursing my baby!" WHY does it need to cry, make sucking sounds, etc?

I like simple things...pretending to nurse a baby (or, um, any other toy ) is about as simple as it gets.

But beyond the fact that I get so tired of EVERY toy being developed with bells and whistles and batteries, I have no problem with a breastfeeding doll.
mac60 04:30 AM 03-30-2011
To each their own, but I would not allow it in my daycare, nor would I buy it for my own child. While it is a natural thing, I don't feel it needs to be pushed onto a young child. Just weird and not natural for a young child to be doing it. Kids are pushed into grown up things way too early already in their life, I don't feel we need to push this on them.
squareone 04:32 AM 03-30-2011
I think this doll is done in a tasteful and modest way. It teaches young children the importance of breastfeeding. I breastfed both my children. My kids are 2 and 4 and they know that nursing babies are just "drinking their mommy's milk". They don't even think twice about it. It's a totally natural thing. Nothing irks me more than when people try to sexualize breastfeeding.

I have seen many kids take regular baby dolls and hold them up to their chest as if they are breastfeeding so I don't understand what the difference is. For the parents that are offended by this doll...then just don't buy it for your kids.
ammama 05:41 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
As a mama who is still breastfeeding a three year old, I don't have a problem with it except for one thing...WHY does everything need electronics?! What is so darn hard about holding a doll to their chest and saying, "I'm nursing my baby!" WHY does it need to cry, make sucking sounds, etc?

I like simple things...pretending to nurse a baby (or, um, any other toy ) is about as simple as it gets.

But beyond the fact that I get so tired of EVERY toy being developed with bells and whistles and batteries, I have no problem with a breastfeeding doll.
Same here. My kids just nurse their babies the old fashioned way, by holding it up to their chest. They give birth the old fashioned way too, by stuffing the dolly under their shirt, pulling it out, and yellling, "it's a girl! (or boy)".
Meeko 05:52 AM 03-30-2011
Not too sure on this one.......

I think it's fine for a toddler who sees their mother breastfeeding a sibling, to watch and ask questions etc. if they want....and they should get simple, honest answers. But there is something a little creepy about making a doll so that little girls can "do it themselves". They'll grow up soon enough.

Menstruation is natural too.......and nothing at all to be ashamed of.....but are we going to have little girls pretend play that too????
AnythingsPossible 06:05 AM 03-30-2011
I'm not opposed to kids "nursing" the baby dolls, I've even had little boys with younger siblings do this, however I find this toy a bit disturbing. Just seems a bit much to me.
DBug 06:19 AM 03-30-2011
What an amazing idea!! I love it! My son carried his doll in a carrier, and would sit down beside me on the couch, lift up his shirt and nurse his doll while I was nursing his baby brother. Honestly, when I started collecting toys when I was starting out doing daycare, my youngest wanted to know what the doll bottles were for .

I do wish that they wouldn't be so gender-specific when talking about the doll in the video clip though. Why should only girls learn how to breastfeed? If more boys learned, they'd be way more supportive of their wives when they become parents.

I'm the most prudish, modest person out there, but they made this doll very tastefully. I am seriously considering buying one of these for my own kids and my daycare kids.
youretooloud 06:35 AM 03-30-2011
The concept of the doll.. I like.

But, here is what bugs me about it. It HAS to make noise? Why do all the dolls have to make noise now?

I'm afraid to walk through the doll isle in Target anymore because of all those obnoxious dolls. As soon as you get too close to the isle, 25 dolls turn and start crying and waving their arms. I doubt I buy a doll like that (I would if my dd really wanted it) But, I wouldn't purposely go out and buy an electronic noise producing doll.

I had the Anatomically correct dolls in the 70s. I had the REALLLLY ugly lifelike dolls in the 80s (as an adult no less) Bottle fed, breast fed, whatever.. I don't care. But, every doll every kid brings over here, has a voice box inside.

*I grew up with pull string dolls... so, I'm sure my parents wished I'd stop pulling those stupid strings. But, that's different... there was nothing better than a Mrs Beasly or Drowsy doll
SilverSabre25 06:40 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
The concept of the doll.. I like.

But, here is what bugs me about it. It HAS to make noise? Why do all the dolls have to make noise now?

I'm afraid to walk through the doll isle in Target anymore because of all those obnoxious dolls. As soon as you get too close to the isle, 25 dolls turn and start crying and waving their arms. I doubt I buy a doll like that (I would if my dd really wanted it) But, I wouldn't purposely go out and buy an electronic noise producing doll.

I had the Anatomically correct dolls in the 70s. I had the REALLLLY ugly lifelike dolls in the 80s (as an adult no less) Bottle fed, breast fed, whatever.. I don't care. But, every doll every kid brings over here, has a voice box inside.

*I grew up with pull string dolls... so, I'm sure my parents wished I'd stop pulling those stupid strings. But, that's different... there was nothing better than a Mrs Beasly or Drowsy doll
Yep, that's what I thought too. I see cute dolls and then discover that they make noise, and it's sayonara! I won't have noisy dolls in my daycare. That's what the kids' voices are for.

I right there with ya on the not purposely buying one unless it was particularly coveted by my own DD...and then it will be Santa buying it, not me. I didn't have dolls in the 70's or lifelike ones in the 80's though...I didn't exist yet in the 70's and was 4 when the 80's ended (I am 25).
youretooloud 06:48 AM 03-30-2011
(I am 25).
I have daycare toys older than you.
SilverSabre25 06:52 AM 03-30-2011
I have daycare toys older than you.
I'm sure many of you on this board do.

Actually, I have some toys older than me too, but I don't let those babies into the daycare kids' hands. Those are MINE and they are kept safe. Mine. My own. My precious...
Symphony 07:36 AM 03-30-2011
Yay!!!!! I get SO SO SO irritated that dolls always come with bottles! This makes me so happy
nannyde 09:03 AM 03-30-2011
Mine. My own. My precious...
My precious

VanessaEO 09:09 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
Yay!!!!! I get SO SO SO irritated that dolls always come with bottles! This makes me so happy
Yes ---- THIS!!! Typically after the first day or whatever the bottle (or pacifier) finds its way to the trash after bedtime.

Why is it OK for girls to pretend to feed infants using fake bottles, but not OK for girls to pretend to breastfeed?

I could also do without any noise making. I take batteries out of toys here. Seriously, there are nine children here, 8 of them are boys. They make enough noise, we DON'T need toys making more noise on top of that.
SilverSabre25 09:12 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by VanessaEO:
Yes ---- THIS!!! Typically after the first day or whatever the bottle (or pacifier) finds its way to the trash after bedtime.

Why is it OK for girls to pretend to feed infants using fake bottles, but not OK for girls to pretend to breastfeed?

I could also do without any noise making. I take batteries out of toys here. Seriously, there are nine children here, 8 of them are boys. They make enough noise, we DON'T need toys making more noise on top of that.
When my DD is looking for a baby doll bottle and failing to find one, I will suggest that she nurse her baby instead. If I forget to throw the word "pretend" into the suggestion, she gives me a withering look and says, "Mommy, I can't! I don't make milk! YOU do!"
Evansmom 11:10 AM 03-30-2011
I breastfed my boys till preschool years so I'm sometimes referred to as a lactivist. I don't have any objections to the doll but I don't understand why it's needed. My sons bf'd their own toys. Even plastic dinosaurs! So I don't think it's necessary. But it does get people talking about breastfeeding so I like it for that reason.
kidkair 11:49 AM 03-30-2011
I personally don't allow electronics in my daycare. I think kids need to cultivate more imagination. There is a doll that pees and poops, others that eat from bottles, others that cry and sing, but the best is the one that does everything based on the child's imagination. I've had baby dolls walking the high wire at the circus, using the potty, washing hands, taking a bath, playing in the sandbox, watching a parade, and much more all in the comfort of my toy room.

I agree that it is good because it's stirring up society and possibly desexualizing breastfeeding.
Abigail 11:55 AM 03-30-2011
I'm afraid to walk through the doll isle in Target anymore because of all those obnoxious dolls. As soon as you get too close to the isle, 25 dolls turn and start crying and waving their arms. [/i]
LMAO! I use to work at Target and hated putting dolls on the shelves.....the noise NEVER ended! ha ha

I see nothing wrong with this doll, as adults we see things totally different than the kids and we focus on our concerns where the child just wants to hold the doll and be the mom or dad. Soon enough the batteries will die, the vest will get lost, and a the baby doll will "grow up" and be potty training and eating instead of drinking, LOL.
dEHmom 11:55 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
To each their own, but I would not allow it in my daycare, nor would I buy it for my own child. While it is a natural thing, I don't feel it needs to be pushed onto a young child. Just weird and not natural for a young child to be doing it. Kids are pushed into grown up things way too early already in their life, I don't feel we need to push this on them.
I don't think that a toy designed to show the nursing side of motherhood is forcing them to grow up any faster.

Its a fact that children need to play this way.

I agree with I think it was silver who said why does the toy have to be designed with all this fancy schmancy stuff that needs batteries to play with it?

I haven't seen this doll yet, and can't even picture it but I will look into it right away.

I wish that toys weren't designed for only one specific use. They should be able to be creative with a toy, and not only play with it for a specific reason.
jen 12:36 PM 03-30-2011
I wouldn't care if a child was "breastfeeding" a doll. But, I do not think we need a breastfeeding doll. Thats just me...I don't think kids need to be led down the path to imagination. I would much prefer to see them make up their own play, than to give them the pre-boxed version of imagination.
daycare 02:37 PM 03-30-2011
So what happen when a little boy wants to breastfeed with the doll? Lol. How do we explain that One? All of the boys here play with dolls, but none that are used for the sole purpose of breatfeeding. lol oopppss darn iphone..
Kaddidle Care 03:26 PM 03-30-2011
I think it's kind of cool and I bet a lot of nursing mothers will buy it for their children. I love the fact that you have to burp it afterwards - too cute!

Children will mimic what they see so I don't think it's a big deal.

It's a big deal to those opposed to breast feeding.
Former Teacher 03:55 PM 03-30-2011
I know I am going to get A LOT of backlash for my opinion but here it goes.

I don’t think a breastfeeding doll is appropriate. Then again, I don’t think breastfeeding is appropriate either. Now don’t get me wrong. I believe wholeheartedly in breast milk. However, just recently I have changed my mind.

I have a friend who had a baby. She said she will NOT ever give her child a bottle. This baby was going to be strictly breastfed. Everyone told my friend, that it was not right nor fair that even the own baby's father couldn't feed his child. No, said my friend, only breast. My friend couldn't do nothing without this baby hanging on her because she CONSTANTLY wanted the breast. Of course my friend would also pump. When my friend had to go out of town on an emergency, this baby would not take a bottle. All day. This baby was SO hungry. Poor thing just couldn't drink out of a bottle. Again, I believe in breast milk. However in a BOTTLE.

I also disagree with the posters that still feed their preschoolers breast milk. To me, that is just disgusting. But as Mac said about the doll, to each their own.

I could have logged out and posted but I chose to stay logged in. I will NOT go back and forth with my beloved colleagues. This is my opinion. If you don’t agree, then we can choose to agree to disagree
youretooloud 04:07 PM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:

I don’t think a breastfeeding doll is appropriate. Then again, I don’t think breastfeeding is appropriate either. Now don’t get me wrong. I believe wholeheartedly in breast milk. However, just recently I have changed my mind.

I have a friend who had a baby. She said she will NOT ever give her child a bottle. This baby was going to be strictly breastfed. Everyone told my friend, that it was not right nor fair that even the own baby's father couldn't feed his child. No, said my friend, only breast. My friend couldn't do nothing without this baby hanging on her because she CONSTANTLY wanted the breast. Of course my friend would also pump. When my friend had to go out of town on an emergency, this baby would not take a bottle. All day. This baby was SO hungry. Poor thing just couldn't drink out of a bottle. Again, I believe in breast milk. However in a BOTTLE.

I also disagree with the posters that still feed their preschoolers breast milk. To me, that is just disgusting. But as Mac said about the doll, to each their own.

I could have logged out and posted but I chose to stay logged in. I will NOT go back and forth with my beloved colleagues. This is my opinion. If you don’t agree, then we can choose to agree to disagree
I respect your opinion. I disagree, but I totally respect it.

I also think it's a little bit regional. I think it depends on the level of "Crunchiness" in your area.

I feel pumping, then putting it in a bottle, then feeding it to the child is a waste of extra time. The child is only an infant for such a short time. If a Mom is adamant about never giving the child a bottle, fine, she also gives up her free time for six or eight months. After that, the baby can have a sippy cup. If he or she won't take a sippy cup, they need to work on that.
Kaddidle Care 04:16 PM 03-30-2011
My 2nd child refused a bottle as well. If you are solely breastfeeding then you have to take the child with you. It's part of the commitment you make when you choose to solely breastfeed. It's also extremely exhausting to be the only one able to feed the baby, day and night but again, part of the commitment.

As far as breast milk in a bottle - not everyone has great success pumping and it will not increase milk production so the child must nurse to keep the milk flowing.

I'm also not pro nursing preschoolers. It would be mainly a comfort at that stage and does not provide the nutrients necessary to sustain a toddler. But - to each his/her own and we all do our best to be the best mothers we can be.

Back to the doll - while I think it's cute in a private home situation, I don't think it would be great in a Daycare situation because just as you see in this thread, not everyone is Pro-Breastfeeding. And I would suspect especially Daycare parents would be against it for the most part since they are leaving their infants and children in other people's care.
Hunni Bee 05:13 PM 03-30-2011
(I am 25).
You're 25?? Im 23! I thought I was the only "kid" here!

But as far as the breastfeeding doll...I like it. My sis and I were both breastfed, and we always pretended to breastfeed our dolls...I like the fact that the sucking actions dont work unless the child wears the vest thing...so there's really no "sexual" element...because breastfeeding is not sexual.

I wouldnt have it my classroom though...besides the fact that I do very few electronic toys, I would'nt open that Pandora's box of parent complaints.
jen 05:27 PM 03-30-2011

I don't think you can judge the whole breast feeding community by this one example. All three of my kids were breast-fed and ate equally well from a bottle. I have had almost exclusively breast fed babies in daycare and every single one takes a bottle just fine.

It isn't breastfeeding or the bottle that is the issue...the problem comes when people take things to extremes.
jen 05:31 PM 03-30-2011
I respect your opinion. I disagree, but I totally respect it.

I also think it's a little bit regional. I think it depends on the level of "Crunchiness" in your area.

I feel pumping, then putting it in a bottle, then feeding it to the child is a waste of extra time. The child is only an infant for such a short time. If a Mom is adamant about never giving the child a bottle, fine, she also gives up her free time for six or eight months. After that, the baby can have a sippy cup. If he or she won't take a sippy cup, they need to work on that.
I agree about the crunchiness of the area...

I've still never had a baby that wouldn't take a bottle tho...breastfed or not. My hubby ALWAYS did one feeding a night, from the first night they came home.
ninosqueridos 05:58 PM 03-30-2011
I agree that it's just not needed. Most of my dcks used to pretend to nurse during the months I nursed my LO....they certainly didn't need sucking motions.
QualiTcare 07:58 PM 03-30-2011

i don't think there's anything wrong with breastfeeding, but i don't see why someone would be AGAINST putting breast milk in a bottle at a certain point either. that seems odd to me. i agree that breastfeeding preschoolers is disgusting - perhaps a little demented, but that's just my opinion.
nannyde 03:03 AM 03-31-2011
I think you COULD have an issue where the kids would do it directly onto their skin... meaning they would lift up their shirts and put the doll directly on their nipple.

Breast feeding is something adults do not little children. Because it is something adults do with a portion of their body being exposed, I just don't think it's going to work to have the kids pretend play it like they do "princess" or "chef" or "fireman".

I don't allow battery operated toys and I've never seen any dck pretend breast feed. Two of three of my kids who attend were/are bf.
DBug 03:16 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i don't think there's anything wrong with breastfeeding, but i don't see why someone would be AGAINST putting breast milk in a bottle at a certain point either. that seems odd to me. i agree that breastfeeding preschoolers is disgusting - perhaps a little demented, but that's just my opinion.
Not to start something, but we all give our kids cows' milk, which is "breast milk" for calves. I've always wondered why it's okay to give older kids milk from a different species, but not the only milk that's designed for human consumption .

If you want to talk about demented ... .

Anyway, just a random thought, nothing personal intended.
Cat Herder 03:21 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I think you COULD have an issue where the kids would do it directly onto their skin... meaning they would lift up their shirts and put the doll directly on their nipple.

Breast feeding is something adults do not little children. Because it is something adults do with a portion of their body being exposed, I just don't think it's going to work to have the kids pretend play it like they do "princess" or "chef" or "fireman".

I don't allow battery operated toys and I've never seen any dck pretend breast feed. Two of three of my kids who attend were/are bf.
I have never had one here pretend to breastfeed, either.

I really just think they are trying to compete in a saturated market like many of us. They found a controversial new concept that will get them lots of press fast...win-win for them.

I want a "Time-out Timmy Doll" that tears up the child's toys, writes on their bedroom walls, pulls their friends hair and throws food in the floor.

It would have to be adaptive though.

Each time a behavior is curbed it will have to come up with an equal but opposite bad behavior.

Maybe it will teach them just how annoying those behaviors actually are in a group setting and appreciate the importance of the word NO....
Kaddidle Care 03:25 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I have never had one here pretend to breastfeed, either.

I really just think they are trying to compete in a saturated market like many of us. They found a controversial new concept that will get them lots of press fast...win-win for them.

I want a "Time-out Timmy Doll" that tears up the child's toys, writes on their bedroom walls, pulls their friends hair and throws food in the floor.

It would have to be adaptive though.

Each time a behavior is curbed it will have to come up with an equal but opposite bad behavior.

Maybe it will teach them just how annoying those behaviors actually are in a group setting and appreciate the importance of the word NO....
Great idea! It might make a great interactive computer game!!!!!
QualiTcare 03:30 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
Not to start something, but we all give our kids cows' milk, which is "breast milk" for calves. I've always wondered why it's okay to give older kids milk from a different species, but not the only milk that's designed for human consumption .

If you want to talk about demented ... .

Anyway, just a random thought, nothing personal intended.
well, if the theory is that we all give our kids milk from different species - i can't disagree, but i've never seen a 3-4-5 year old sucking on a cow's udder.

if you've noticed, babies become attached to their bottles and if you let them they will hold them and suck on them even when they aren't hungry because it's used as a pacifier/security. for children who are breastfed, the breast becomes their pacifier/security.

if the argument is "the milk is more nutritious" then pump the milk and put it in a cup. there's no sense in a kid who's old enough to lift your shirt up and whip it out to be sucking the breast just like there's no sense in a child over the age of one to be sucking a bottle. breastfeeding is meant to feed hungry babies, not pacify fussy toddlers. if you allow your breast to be a pacifier, that's demented IMO.
daysofelijah 04:45 AM 03-31-2011

if you've noticed, babies become attached to their bottles and if you let them they will hold them and suck on them even when they aren't hungry because it's used as a pacifier/security. for children who are breastfed, the breast becomes their pacifier/security.
Yes you're right. It's much better for a baby to get their comfort/security from a piece of plastic, than their mother.

I exclusively breastfed all three of my kids. I don't think my third every even had a single bottle. I'm proud to say it. Babies are born to be breastfed. Because of the way of society, formula feeding and bottles have become somewhat necessary. I'm sure the pioneers weren't out pumping their breastmilk and bottle feeding so they could have more time out or so daddy could share in the experience. It's a ridiculous late 20th-21st century notion. Breastfeeding is just one part of having a baby, there are plenty of other things that daddy can do to bond.

As far as the doll, eh. Not really my cup of tea. But I don't have a problem with it. Even though I breastfed all three of mine for 1-2 years each while doing daycare I never have had kids pretend to breastfeed. I don't think many of them really noticed I was breastfeeding though.
dEHmom 07:05 AM 03-31-2011
Nannyde made me think of this.....

Breastfeeding is natural, but do we need children breast feeding their toys?

S.........E..........X is natural, but should we allow our children to play like this?

Some things are meant to be taught young, others are meant to be learned or taught at a MUCH older age.

I have no issues if a little one decides to pretend to breastfeed a doll because they know mommy is doing that with baby, or whatever. My issue is there isn't any necessity for a doll on the market that does so. thats my mo.

And my opinion on breastfeeding past the age of 1 is the same as most. I don't think it is appropriate, necessary or "normal". Sorry I do not mean to offend you, as I know some of the posters I normally agree with, think it's great. I'm sorry, I'm pro breastfeeding. For those who are nursing toddlers, are you expressing the milk and then giving it to them in a cup? If you are, then so be it, great for you! But if you are actually physically nursing them, then ew.

I know myself, as soon as the kids would've cut a tooth, that was it. I never got to nurse that long, but I know for a fact, I would've stopped nursing, and switched them to a bottle at around 6 months (and allowed breastmilk in a bottle/cup until 1 yr).

Sorry once again, I'm not trying to offend, but I just think it is gross for a toddler to be doing this.
Symphony 07:51 AM 03-31-2011
I breastfed all 4 of my kids 2+ years a piece and will do the same with this baby I am carrying now. None of my kids ever had a bottle, not once. They are all perfectly bonded to Daddy and Grandma as well. Food is not the only way to comfort and nurture a child. No, I never expressed milk to feed my child. That doesn't make any sense?

A handful of links explaining the benefits of breastfeeding beyond one year, including the MINIMUM recommendation of one year by the AAP and the MINIMUM of two years by the WHO.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/nursetoddler.html

http://www.llli.org/faq/advantagetoddler.html

http://www.lightparty.com/Health/10R...reastfeed.html

http://www.mothering.com/breastfeedi...dings-benefits

http://www.parenting.com/article/ask...-the-criticism

http://www.breastfeeding-mom.com/ext...stfeeding.html
MommyMuffin 08:21 AM 03-31-2011
I dont think it is anything news worthy..but neither is half of the "stories" they show on the news. haha

Anyways..I dont care if it is produced and I dont care if people buy it, as for me and my family we will not be playing with this toy.

I will be breast feeding my child but I will do it somewhat discreetly and not be just "whipping" it out in front of the children. When asked about it and/or what I am doing I will stick to simple statements.
MommyMuffin 08:43 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
I breastfed all 4 of my kids 2+ years a piece and will do the same with this baby I am carrying now. None of my kids ever had a bottle, not once. They are all perfectly bonded to Daddy and Grandma as well. Food is not the only way to comfort and nurture a child. No, I never expressed milk to feed my child. That doesn't make any sense?

A handful of links explaining the benefits of breastfeeding beyond one year, including the MINIMUM recommendation of one year by the AAP and the MINIMUM of two years by the WHO.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/nursetoddler.html

http://www.llli.org/faq/advantagetoddler.html

http://www.lightparty.com/Health/10R...reastfeed.html

http://www.mothering.com/breastfeedi...dings-benefits

http://www.parenting.com/article/ask...-the-criticism

http://www.breastfeeding-mom.com/ext...stfeeding.html
To each his/her own. I think it is disgusting after a certain age. This is my opinion and also the opinion of others but do not let other people discourage you from doing it. Your the mother it is your choice and you dont have to explain yourself. You are just doing what you think is right for your child.
nannyde 09:03 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
To each his/her own. I think it is disgusting after a certain age. This is my opinion and also the opinion of others but do not let other people discourage you from doing it. Your the mother it is your choice and you dont have to explain yourself. You are just doing what you think is right for your child.
YIKES

How is it disgusting and who cares? I don't care if they breastfeed until they are five. It's an excellent source of nutrition and awesome for Mom and kid. Who cares?

The idea of stopping bf when they are still babies is very new. People all over the world bf until the kid is five/six years old. It's been done since the begining of time. If it hadn't... we would all most likely not be here.

When I first started caring for kids the idea of taking them off the bottle at one wasn't even invented yet. Every kid I took care of in the eighties was on the bottle till they were three.

These kinds of reccomendations come because people ABUSE it so reccomendations are put in place for the least common denominator behavior of the adults.

I could care less whether a kid is on the bottle when they are three. I really don't care. If you don't put sweets in it and they don't carry it around and sleep with it... what difference does it make to have a couple of bottles a day?

I take them off the bottle when the parent tells me I must. Not before. I don't like taking them off of it too young but it's something that's not really my choice. Most of my parents are very cool about doing a slow transition and letting the kid have it if they aren't converting to a cup easily. That's usually around the fourteen/fifteenth month.

Sorry... but kids like to suck bottle and Mommy. It's not a hardship to allow them to do it as long as it's done with moderation and doesn't affect their total care or well being.
Symphony 09:20 AM 03-31-2011
YIKES

How is it disgusting and who cares? I don't care if they breastfeed until they are five. It's an excellent source of nutrition and awesome for Mom and kid. Who cares?

The idea of stopping bf when they are still babies is very new. People all over the world bf until the kid is five/six years old. It's been done since the begining of time. If it hadn't... we would all most likely not be here.

When I first started caring for kids the idea of taking them off the bottle at one wasn't even invented yet. Every kid I took care of in the eighties was on the bottle till they were three.

These kinds of reccomendations come because people ABUSE it so reccomendations are put in place for the least common denominator behavior of the adults.

I could care less whether a kid is on the bottle when they are three. I really don't care. If you don't put sweets in it and they don't carry it around and sleep with it... what difference does it make to have a couple of bottles a day?

I take them off the bottle when the parent tells me I must. Not before. I don't like taking them off of it too young but it's something that's not really my choice. Most of my parents are very cool about doing a slow transition and letting the kid have it if they aren't converting to a cup easily. That's usually around the fourteen/fifteenth month.

Sorry... but kids like to suck bottle and Mommy. It's not a hardship to allow them to do it as long as it's done with moderation and doesn't affect their total care or well being.
I could give you a big kiss There ya go!

I love being called disgusting and demented first thing in the morning
Evansmom 09:25 AM 03-31-2011
yikes

how is it disgusting and who cares? I don't care if they breastfeed until they are five. It's an excellent source of nutrition and awesome for mom and kid. Who cares?

The idea of stopping bf when they are still babies is very new. People all over the world bf until the kid is five/six years old. It's been done since the begining of time. If it hadn't... We would all most likely not be here.

When i first started caring for kids the idea of taking them off the bottle at one wasn't even invented yet. Every kid i took care of in the eighties was on the bottle till they were three.

These kinds of reccomendations come because people abuse it so reccomendations are put in place for the least common denominator behavior of the adults.

I could care less whether a kid is on the bottle when they are three. I really don't care. If you don't put sweets in it and they don't carry it around and sleep with it... What difference does it make to have a couple of bottles a day?

I take them off the bottle when the parent tells me i must. Not before. I don't like taking them off of it too young but it's something that's not really my choice. Most of my parents are very cool about doing a slow transition and letting the kid have it if they aren't converting to a cup easily. That's usually around the fourteen/fifteenth month.

Sorry... But kids like to suck bottle and mommy. It's not a hardship to allow them to do it as long as it's done with moderation and doesn't affect their total care or well being.
thank you thank you thank you!!!

And Symphony: me too! It's been a long time since I've been called disgusting or demented, I guess it was high time...

ETA: I just had to add a musing of mine. If nursing a toddler or preschooler is so disgusting and demented then why in the world would all the Pediatric Associations including the ones in Europe, Canada and the US (though the last to jump on board) including UNICEF and WHO all say in their statements on breastfeeding something to the effect of: breastfeeding should continue exclusively for the first 6 months then with complimentary foods for AT LEAST two years and beyond as mutually desired between mother and child.??
dEHmom 01:10 PM 03-31-2011
I just want to clarify that I don't think its demented or disgusting that fact that a toddler or young child be drinking breast milk. I think it is great!

I just think it's not normal to see a 5 yo, or even a 3 yo attached to a breast. I know there was a topic not to long ago, about moms/dad's being naked, having showers, etc in front of each other. I grew up in very "open" family but the nursing a toddler thing doesn't sit well with me.

Maybe I just don't understand how often the nursing happens at ages over 2. Is it throughout the day? is it just before bed?

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from this! I think if you have the ability to do so, and you are comfortable with it, than great. I think it would be inappropriate to do so in front of other people though. It just reminds me of that movie "grown ups" and if you haven't seen it, then watch it.
QualiTcare 01:25 PM 03-31-2011
we didn't call anyone disgusting or demented - we called the concept of letting a breast be a security blanket for a walking, talking toddler disgusting and demented. if the shoe fits...oh well. breastfeeding is meant to provide nourishment. when a child can eat steak and potatoes they don't need to be falling asleep with a boob in their mouth. that's using the breast as a pacifier and not as a source of nourishment.

i really couldn't care less what anyone does. it's not something i'd ever do, and i still think it's creepy.
Former Teacher 02:03 PM 03-31-2011
we didn't call anyone disgusting or demented - we called the concept of letting a breast be a security blanket for a walking, talking toddler disgusting and demented. if the shoe fits...oh well. breastfeeding is meant to provide nourishment. when a child can eat steak and potatoes they don't need to be falling asleep with a boob in their mouth. that's using the breast as a pacifier and not as a source of nourishment.

i really couldn't care less what anyone does. it's not something i'd ever do, and i still think it's creepy.
My thoughts exactly!
daycare 02:08 PM 03-31-2011

Lol I just saw a movie where this 4-5 year old kid comes up an starts nursing on his mom. All of the parents grossed our and covered their kids eyes. Then toward the end of the movie the dad teaches the kid how to drink from a milk carton. It was pretty funny movie. Adam sandler movie I think.
I know I'm on board with it being gross to breastfeed a toddler. But I think it's natural to nurse an infant for as long as possible.

But to each their own. I just know I Would not personally breastfeed a toddler.
dEHmom 02:10 PM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Lol I just saw a movie where this 4-5 year old kid comes up an starts nursing on his mom. All of the parents grossed our and covered their kids eyes. Then toward the end of the movie the dad teaches the kid how to drink from a milk carton. It was pretty funny movie. Adam sandler movie I think.
I know I'm on board with it being gross to breastfeed a toddler. But I think it's natural to nurse an infant for as long as possible.

But to each their own. I just know I Would not personally breastfeed a toddler.
haha I just mentioned it above it's called "grown ups" lol
great minds think alike
daycare 02:15 PM 03-31-2011
Lol. I misse your post. I'm on an iPhone so it's hard to read everything.

My mom told me that my childhood best friend used to walk up to her mom at the age of 4 and pull her breast our and start drinking. Lol. Thank god I don't remember that. Lol.
Tags:article, breastfeeding debate, dolls
Reply Up