Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Get Babies To Sleep At Daycare
LeslieG 07:47 AM 02-15-2013
I currently watch two babies (8 months and 10 months) who are very light sleepers and just in general not good sleepers. I am really at a loss for what to do...

I have them napping in different rooms (but the rooms are right next to each other) with multiple fans and white noise. However, they continue to wake up about every 15 minutes... if I ever get them to sleep. I have been going in there to try to reassure them it's okay every time they wake up, but I just can't keep doing that! Also, I feel like going in there to "get them back to sleep" every time they wake up is only teaching them they need me to go to sleep.

I also care for a 3 year old and a 2 year old who play in the playroom while the babies nap... so I need to be able to watch them as well, which I feel like I can't always do if I'm constantly going in and out of the babies nap rooms.

Oh, I should mention, I don't think the babies are waking up from noise because I've gone in there with the fans and white noise on and I can't hear a thing even with the other kids in the playroom playing.

I stress out about letting the babies cry because I live in an apartment and I don't want to bother my neighbors.

Do any of you have suggestions of what to do?
Any baby experts out there?!?

Thank you! Hope you're all enjoying your Friday
coolconfidentme 07:51 AM 02-15-2013
Sorry, but they have trained you to come in there when they cry. You have to let them cry it out & be consistent about it. (If they are fed, diapered, etc.) Worry about the neighbors when they complain.
Heidi 07:52 AM 02-15-2013
yeah...I think you just need to let them cry at this point. When they get into a lighter sleep cycle and wake up a little, you're going in there just wakes them fully. A LOT of kids cry in their sleep, which doesn't mean they are ready to get up.

I have sort of a policy that if you wake up crying, you must still be tired. This doesn't apply to tiny ones, of course...

I would warn your closest neighbors that you are sleep training a couple little ones, and there may be a bit of fussing for a few days (like all of next week..lol). Maybe they're not even home during the day....
LeslieG 07:58 AM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Sorry, but they have trained you to come in there when they cry. You have to let them cry it out & be consistent about it. (If they are fed, diapered, etc.) Worry about the neighbors when they complain.
Originally Posted by Heidi:
yeah...I think you just need to let them cry at this point. When they get into a lighter sleep cycle and wake up a little, you're going in there just wakes them fully. A LOT of kids cry in their sleep, which doesn't mean they are ready to get up.

I have sort of a policy that if you wake up crying, you must still be tired. This doesn't apply to tiny ones, of course...

I would warn your closest neighbors that you are sleep training a couple little ones, and there may be a bit of fussing for a few days (like all of next week..lol). Maybe they're not even home during the day....
How long would you let them cry?
Oneluckymom 08:02 AM 02-15-2013
I agree....they are counting on you coming in when ever they cry. It will probably take a good 5 days (maybe less) to get them re-trained.
Heidi 09:13 AM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
How long would you let them cry?
A long as nap time is, according to you. Then go in and say "nap time is over..."

Set a reasonable schedule for them, and stick to it. They are old enough to catch on. Probably a 45 min-1 hr nap in the am, then playtime, outdoor time if possible...lots of fresh air. Then lunch, diapers, story, lullaby, and nap for everyone... 2-2 1/2 hours.
SuperNinjaMommy 09:19 AM 02-15-2013
I agree with the others, let them cry it out. It only takes usually a week or two of training with cry it out for them to get it down. It is hard but it's worth it and they need their sleep.
LeslieG 11:32 AM 02-15-2013
Okay I'm going to try it. Thank you so much everyone!!
LK5kids 07:31 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
A long as nap time is, according to you. Then go in and say "nap time is over..."

Set a reasonable schedule for them, and stick to it. They are old enough to catch on. Probably a 45 min-1 hr nap in the am, then playtime, outdoor time if possible...lots of fresh air. Then lunch, diapers, story, lullaby, and nap for everyone... 2-2 1/2 hours.
Great advice! Thanks!
melilley 08:11 AM 02-15-2013
This reminds me of when my daughter was an infant. I too lived in an apartment and didn't want her to cry and bother any neighbors-we had thin walls and there were only 6 apartments in the building so you could hear EVERYTHING! Anywho, I would always go straight to her room when she would cry, at night I would go into her room every time she made a peep. Let me tell you, it just got worse! Fast forward a year we were still in the apt. and my daughter was a toddler. Well, she learned that every time she made a peep someone would go get her, so every night she needed to be put to sleep or she would just cry. It was getting ridiculous, but again, I didn't want to bother the neighbors.
Well my mom had to stay with us for a couple of weeks. She saw how ridiculous bed/nap time was and wouldn't put up with it (she had to share my daughters room). So she would put her in there and let her cry. I was heartbroken, but something needed to be done. Well low and behold a week or two passed and after a week or so of being consistent and letting her cry it out, she finally would sleep on her own. And I didn't get one complaint from a neighbor! I guess my point is, be consistent and lay them down and walk away. Hopefully after a while they will get used to it and sleep. And like others have said, worry about the neighbors when they complain, maybe they aren't even there during the day. Good luck! Happy Friday to you too!
youretooloud 05:22 PM 02-15-2013
I have all the kids nap at the same time. So, except for a morning cat-nap (which I don't really care about) the kids are all either awake together, or asleep.

I do put babies in their own rooms too. I don't expect them to sleep in the same room as the other kids.

I've really never had any infants who didn't sleep really well, so I don't have any ideas to help. I know how frustrating it would be though.

But, at the age you are talking about, they should be able to sleep a good solid two hours at the same time the others are napping. But, they are at an age, where they don't want to miss out on any fun.
Reply Up