Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unnanounced Interview?
DaisyMamma 12:26 PM 04-11-2012
Someone just showed up at my house!
I was out for a walk with the kids and my husband answered the door. He has no idea about the daycare and couldn't answer them. She left a note.

Weird?

She could have called even 10 minutes before coming.
wdmmom 12:29 PM 04-11-2012
I don't disclose my address until an interview is scheduled.

It's safer for me and safer for the kids. I don't need or want anyone just showing up.

Note or not, this just shows me a complete lack of respect. I wouldn't respond to her attempts to contact you!
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 04-11-2012
I've had this happen before and was like but when I did the interview the family turned out to fantastic and I LOVE them.....

mom was from another country and had no clue how things worked here! lol!
Half-Pint Hide-Out 12:37 PM 04-11-2012
I had a lady stop me while I was out for a walk with the kids and start asking me questions. She said she had seen us playing outside and figured we were a daycare since there were so many kids and that when she saw us out, she figured it was a good time to chat. Um, hello?! I'm pushing a double stroller and have 7 kids walking and you think right this minute is a good time for me?! I gave her my business card and told her to call me during the hours listed and leave me a message or e-mail me. I never heard from her.
DaisyMamma 12:40 PM 04-11-2012
The search engines give out my address. I need to figure out how to remove it.
Meeko 12:41 PM 04-11-2012
I had a couple show up at the door last week!

They were nice enough, but I told them I only do tours and interviews in the evenings so they can have my undivided attention. And only then if I have active openings available.

I rounded up the child and handed him back to his parents. I gave them a business card and they called the next day for more information. I don't have any openings right now, but I will let them know if I do. Only then will I do a tour and interview. It's a complete waste of my time otherwise. I wouldn't let folks look over and sit in my car when it's not even for sale....same with my day care services.

It's just something that may happen. The state licensing board lists all providers on their web site along with address and phone number. MOST people call.....but a few may try and stop by. No biggie.
permanentvacation 12:47 PM 04-11-2012
The thing is that we are a business. In most businesses, the general public does randomly show up and walk in to the business. Now, yes, in our particular business, it is more known that the public would call ahead and schedule an interview. But a person who is not familiar to home daycares, would think more on the lines of them going up to a business and would just randomly show up expecting to inquire about the daycare business.

My friend had had different people randomly knock on her door a few times. As providers, we do think that it's weird. But if you think of it as them approaching a business, maybe we could understand them a little better.
Heidi 12:53 PM 04-11-2012
I've actually done it...but I had an ulterior motive.

I stopped at a provider's home once because I had heard she was running an illegal operation, and my niece was attending there. I did happen to be looking for daycare, and I was curious. Sure enough, she had 12 kids there by herself (ok to have 3).

As I was driving away, 6 more got off the school bus....

When I explained all this to my SIL, she gave me attitude. Still does 12 years later 9so we don't talk about it).

The lady is STILL in business, although according to my licenser, they have tried to shut her down.
MarinaVanessa 12:57 PM 04-11-2012
Yeah personally I don't feel like it's a huge deal either. I purposely add my address on my advertising including a listing on google places. People are coming to your door and you're not even advertising. I see the upside to that and think that you're doing something right. Most people choose a daycare that's close to their home or place of work so if you're near them they'll call, if they don't know where you live then you're on their lower list of places to check out.

I havn't had to advertise for a while now and I still get calls a couple times a week and stopped on the street because I added myself to google places. I havn't had someone just show up unnanounced unless you include some neighbors that didn't have my number but knew where I lived. I think it's only rude or obnoxious when people go over unnanounced and expect you to drop everything. If they're understanding when you ask them to make an appointment or tell them that you're full or busy then I don't see anything wrong with it. JMPO.
wahmof3 01:21 PM 04-11-2012
In order for me to be protected by the sex offender registry I have to have a sign in my front yard stating that this is a daycare. I am surprised that someone hasn't knocked on my door......yet lol

I wouldn't feel comfortable if someone just showed up. They were pushing a union in my state & a union rep just randomly showed up but thats it lol
TBird 01:34 PM 04-11-2012
YUP! I've had two of these surprise interviews recently (before I even put my sign out).

sharlan 01:43 PM 04-11-2012
Years ago, I didn't do any advertising. All of my business came from people seeing us out and about and stopping to talk.
grandmom 02:15 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
In order for me to be protected by the sex offender registry I have to have a sign in my front yard stating that this is a daycare. I am surprised that someone hasn't knocked on my door......yet lol

I wouldn't feel comfortable if someone just showed up. They were pushing a union in my state & a union rep just randomly showed up but thats it lol
What does this mean? In order for me to be protected by the sex offender reigstry.....
MarinaVanessa 03:06 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by grandmom:
What does this mean? In order for me to be protected by the sex offender reigstry.....
Pretty much if you make it known that you are a daycare then registered sex offenders can't live or be within a certain distance from your home. If you don't make it noticeable and obvious that you are a daycare then they can live near you, walk and hang out near you. There may be other reasons too but this is probably the biggest reason.
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:35 PM 04-11-2012
I think this has only happend once for us, but it was no big deal. It was kind of embarrassing, though. I didn't have my glasses on, and was in the other room with the children for lunch. When I heard a door open, I peeked my head around the corner, and thought it was a certain dc mom, so I greeted her quite friendly lol. When I got closer I realized I didn't know her! LOL She was the same height, same hair color, body size, etc as the dc mom I had thought she was at first glance without my glasses. She just wanted information for her baby. Since we don't care for that age, we couldn't help her, and she left after just a minute. Well, a couple years later (a couple months ago, infact), she called about openings for her now 2 1/2, almost 3, yr old son for a part time spot. We were pretty desperate for children when she called, so we were more than happy to have her son join us! I didn't realize it was the same lady until she asked if we remembered her, from when she dropped by 2 years before! This family has ended up being the PERFECT family. She is always asking what she can donate for our use, she reads, remembers, and follows all the policies and never asks to be an exception. If there are any problems with her son (behavior or otherwise), she wants to know about it, and immediately takes care of it. If he's developed a new behavior that isn't good, she works with us and with him to correct it (but any behavior is really really mild, since he is a well behaved little boy, and the mom is a really good mom, not being afraid to discipline and train him). I think in this case, it was best for us that she did stop in that time. Apparently she liked what she saw, and kept us in mind for when her son was old enough. If she had just called, she would have been told we didn't accept that age, and she wouldn't have met us or seen the daycare to keep us in mind for later. Most likely we would never have heard from her again.
Michelle 05:54 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by Half-Pint Hide-Out:
I had a lady stop me while I was out for a walk with the kids and start asking me questions. She said she had seen us playing outside and figured we were a daycare since there were so many kids and that when she saw us out, she figured it was a good time to chat. Um, hello?! I'm pushing a double stroller and have 7 kids walking and you think right this minute is a good time for me?! I gave her my business card and told her to call me during the hours listed and leave me a message or e-mail me. I never heard from her.
I was at a play place today and saw 3 ladies that had a bunch of kids all the same ages so I assumed either a daycare or a mommy group.
So I asked and they said they were "sister wives"
I said "oh" and
DaisyMamma 06:08 PM 04-11-2012
What is a sister wife? Like they share a Husband?

Anyhow I wasn't offended, but thought it to be a bit odd. Even daycare centers require an appointment for a tour, don't they?
Maybe she wanted to be unanounced just to see how the environment looked without me having time to prepare for her. Who knows.
wahmof3 06:25 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Pretty much if you make it known that you are a daycare then registered sex offenders can't live or be within a certain distance from your home. If you don't make it noticeable and obvious that you are a daycare then they can live near you, walk and hang out near you. There may be other reasons too but this is probably the biggest reason.
Couldn't have said it any better

This is fairly new. The local sheriff's dept sent out letters to providers the beginning of the year letting us know what we need to do. Once we had some sort of sign out we were put in the system & a registered sex offender cannot live within 1000 feet (I think) of the daycare.
momofboys 08:01 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by TBird:
YUP! I've had two of these surprise interviews recently (before I even put my sign out).
  • The first lady knocked on my door with one of her kids in tow (she was a really nice neighbor so I didn't mind).
  • The second lady asked me what 'vicinity' my daycare is in. I told her the area I lived in and then we finished the conversation & she hung up. She called back about 10 minutes later asking if she could stop by. When I said yes, what time.......she says, well I'm in your driveway now. :eek:

sassysue 06:52 AM 04-12-2012
Yes,it's a little wierd! That being said.I've enrolled a few great families that way.
One was just moving to the area and saw my daycare sign so she stopped by.
Another was a grandma helping to look for child care and was out on a walk with her grandchildren.
Then another who's child stayed with grandma three days a week,they walked past the daycare every day and the little girl would see the kids outside playing.She told her mom"I don't think I want to go to grandma's any more,she's fun and all,but a girl needs friends!"
She was 3 and is the sweetest girl ever!
Sometimes it works.If I don't have the time I usually just hand them a business card and tell them to give me a call later.
MarinaVanessa 07:03 AM 04-12-2012
I was just thinking about how great it is to have so many people on this forum with so many different views and takes on everything DC related. Like for example, I would LOVE to have walk-in traffic and the opportunity to have a sign out on my lawn (I live in an HOA community) and other people see that as a risk. It's so great to discuss differences and to see how other people do things
DaisyMamma 08:30 AM 04-12-2012
It is really helpful to get other perspectives, for sure!

I just had a meeting with the woman who showed up yesterday. She seemed really nice, but unsure of what she is doing. She's maybe moving here and wanted to check it out.
texascare 08:12 AM 04-13-2012
Here in Texas our addresses are on the state web site so that is where alot of people get our address. For the childrens safety I do not allow interviews during the day. I did have a man show up with a small infant one day and I did not let him in. I told him he needed to schedule an interview. His response was "I am in the area interviewing daycares"....I felt odd about him and he looked suspicious very nerveous . I never heard from him.
Reply Up