Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Prospective Clients Get Paid Every Two Weeks...AND???
TBird 05:24 AM 05-01-2012
I'm sure this has been covered already but I've been getting LOTS of phone calls lately and I'm kind of surprised by some of the responses I get to my weekly payment schedule.

On an interview when we get to the part about my payment schedule (which is weekly), parents have the need to tell me that they get paid every two weeks. Of course I get a blank look on my face...... Does your mortgage company, phone company, cable company, commercial daycare center or any other business care that you get paid every two weeks??? Nooooooo...they just want to get paid when their invoice is due.

Why do parents think that a home based daycare means that they can rustle up their own payment schedule based on their particular situation??? I just feel like they wouldn't try to do that with a commercial daycare center or any other bills.
Heidi 05:55 AM 05-01-2012
Your payment schedule is weekly IN ADVANCE of care, right? I would look at them and say "oh, that's fiiinne, as long as you are paying in advance, of course you can pay every 2 weeks!

I have one parent that often pays me 3 weeks at a time...in advance. He works for a small company with an irregular payroll schedule.

I also get a one week deposit at the time of signing.
cheerfuldom 06:17 AM 05-01-2012
I don't care as long as I get paid in advance
TBird 06:29 AM 05-01-2012
OMG, EVERYTHING IS IN ADVANCE!!! Actually, I have one family that pays bi-weekly and a brand new family that wants to go bi-weekly. I told the new family that it's fine, as long as it's PRE-PAID and OPPOSITE the week that the other family pays. They didn't understand the pre-pay but I don't provide services without payment.

I guess I don't mind it so much, it just irks me that they expect to pay bi-weekly just because that's when they get paid. You really can't expect that with any other business. I'm a certified business with a state license & a business license....if they wouldn't say that to AT&T, I'm really not expecting them to say it to me.
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by TBird:
OMG, EVERYTHING IS IN ADVANCE!!! Actually, I have one family that pays bi-weekly and a brand new family that wants to go bi-weekly. I told the new family that it's fine, as long as it's PRE-PAID and OPPOSITE the week that the other family pays. They didn't understand the pre-pay but I don't provide services without payment.

I guess I don't mind it so much, it just irks me that they expect to pay bi-weekly just because that's when they get paid. You really can't expect that with any other business. I'm a certified business with a state license & a business license....if they wouldn't say that to AT&T, I'm really not expecting them to say it to me.
I hear you.....I require parents to pay me weekly as well. I find it is easier to budget, easier to keep track and simply the way I prefer to be paid.

I used to be paid weekly, bi-weekly and monthly but just recently (about 8 monhts ago) went to weekly. I too had a few parents complain that they get paid bi-weekly or monthly or whatever and I just said, "Well then when you get paid, just write me a check for the first week, put the other week's pay into a safe spot and give it to me the next week." NOT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!

I think the reason parents try to negotiate with daycare providers is because it is uaually the only time they are face to face with the "billing department"....kwim?
Sunchimes 07:23 AM 05-01-2012
One of my parents pays me bi-weekly. I take the amount for the second week and tuck it into a pocket in my wallet and then I don't touch it until the next week. It's easier for her, and I don't mind. I always just cash my checks anyway because I don't like writing checks or using debit cards--I'm a cash kind of girl.
Kiki 07:24 AM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I hear you.....I require parents to pay me weekly as well. I find it is easier to budget, easier to keep track and simply the way I prefer to be paid.

I used to be paid weekly, bi-weekly and monthly but just recently (about 8 monhts ago) went to weekly. I too had a few parents complain that they get paid bi-weekly or monthly or whatever and I just said, "Well then when you get paid, just write me a check for the first week, put the other week's pay into a safe spot and give it to me the next week." NOT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!

I think the reason parents try to negotiate with daycare providers is because it is uaually the only time they are face to face with the "billing department"....kwim?
^ I get paid weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly. It all depends on the parent, but I'm slowly starting to change over to weekly, trying to keep track of everyone's pay date is a little harder than I thought it would be. . I know that some will complain, but it's the same as paying for 2 weeks/4 weeks in advance, you're just splitting the payments into two.
MarinaVanessa 07:27 AM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Your payment schedule is weekly IN ADVANCE of care, right? I would look at them and say "oh, that's fiiinne, as long as you are paying in advance, of course you can pay every 2 weeks!
This is what I do too. I occasionally get the "But I get paid every two weeks" thing too when I discuss the weekly payments so I just say

"Yes of course, all of my other families do too. And you can always choose to either pay me one week in advance at a time or pay two weeks in advance at a time ... whatever is more convenient to you is fine with me"

This way it clicks in their minds that no, they are not the only clients of mine that get paid bi-weekly and yes, they can live with paying me week to week even if it means having to save one weeks tuition for one extra week.
wdmmom 09:37 AM 05-01-2012
I'm sure this has been covered already but I've been getting LOTS of phone calls lately and I'm kind of surprised by some of the responses I get to my weekly payment schedule.

On an interview when we get to the part about my payment schedule (which is weekly), parents have the need to tell me that they get paid every two weeks. Of course I get a blank look on my face...... Does your mortgage company, phone company, cable company, commercial daycare center or any other business care that you get paid every two weeks??? Nooooooo...they just want to get paid when their invoice is due.

Why do parents think that a home based daycare means that they can rustle up their own payment schedule based on their particular situation??? I just feel like they wouldn't try to do that with a commercial daycare center or any other bills.
Most providers are flexible enough to work with their parents. When i started working for a teacher, i found getting paid once a month was awesome. Less trips to the bank, got paid ahead, etc. Many of my parents have chosen to pay monthly because i offer a smalk discount if they do.
TBird 09:46 AM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Most providers are flexible enough to work with their parents. When i started working for a teacher, i found getting paid once a month was awesome. Less trips to the bank, got paid ahead, etc. Many of my parents have chosen to pay monthly because i offer a smalk discount if they do.
I agree and I can be flexible as long as I can pay my bills & furnish food & supplies for the daycare on a weekly basis. I guess what rubs me wrong is the "way" that it's said sometimes. Not really "inquiring" but more like "Uh Uh...I get paid every two weeks so that's that."
Nikki2199 10:49 AM 05-01-2012
I do allow flexable payment options as long as it's always in advance....weekly, bi weekly, or monthly...it doesn't matter....I require my parents to pay in advance...regardless. I guess I just feel, I dont care how or when I get the money as long as it's before the week it's needed...but at the same time, you have your rules and good for you for sticking to them. Don't you sometimes want to say, 'i didn't pick your job or their payment schedule for you'...hahaha
sharlan 10:57 AM 05-01-2012
I used to have everyone pay on Fri for that week, never had a problem.

Right now, I have one family that pays on the 15th for that month - so 2 weeks late and 2 in advance. One that pays every Monday for that week. One that pays on Fri for the next 2 weeks. One that pays on Fri for the next 4 weeks. I have one that pays me on the 15th for the past 4 weeks. It gets a bit confusing sometimes to remember who's paid and who's not.
DaisyMamma 12:25 PM 05-01-2012
I agree and I can be flexible as long as I can pay my bills & furnish food & supplies for the daycare on a weekly basis. I guess what rubs me wrong is the "way" that it's said sometimes. Not really "inquiring" but more like "Uh Uh...I get paid every two weeks so that's that."
I know what you mean. For some reason parents think they can negotiate anything in your contract just because it doesn't work for them. I think many think of their relationships with home daycare providers as if they are hiring you and not that they are purchasing your service like a center.
"well I can't do that because...."
"oh that's not going to work for us...."
"do you mind if...."

Sometimes you need to respond....."the door is over there".

Sometimes something simple like the biweekly payment makes you wonder what other special requests they will make.
3girls 05:16 PM 05-01-2012
Right, lol. I accept payment every week on the first day of care for that week or no stay. I offer a cool incentive for parents who pay monthly, cause I love not worrying about it for a whole month
saved4always 05:24 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:

I have one parent that often pays me 3 weeks at a time...in advance. He works for a small company with an irregular payroll schedule.

I also get a one week deposit at the time of signing.
Yep, this for sure! My contract always said that I was to be paid on the first day that care was provided for that week. Everyone would bring me a check or cash on the morning of their first day of care to pay for that week. I had one parent who wanted to pay 2 weeks at a time, so she would give me a check on the first day of care for the week and then pay me for that week and the following week. She was very organized..wrote the dates she was paying for in advance on the envelope....and she never forgot to pay me.
Rachel 02:53 AM 05-02-2012
I agree. I get each month on the 1st of the month, I don't care when they get paid. I am paid in advance for care I haven't given yet. If they want to pay in advance for 2 weeks, it will just be the money in your pocket all the sooner.
Reply Up