Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Live in Nanny Refuses to Move Out, Threatens to Sue
MotherNature 03:56 PM 06-26-2014
What the....??? Check this out. This lady is unhinged. I can't believe the cops are claiming that she basically has residential rights and they have to formally evict her..

https://gma.yahoo.com/family-stumped...opstories.html
Play Care 04:05 PM 06-26-2014
Did they not check her references?! It sounds as if she has a history of lawsuits, odd behavior. It seems odd that someone would invite a person in their home without knowing the laws of their state... I mean, I feel bad for the family, but this is why you do your research.
MarinaVanessa 04:06 PM 06-26-2014
aDCprovider, can you send a link of this article to your DC family that just termed to look for a nanny? lol
KidGrind 04:08 PM 06-26-2014
She’d be out of my house. That is all I am going to type….
Michael 04:10 PM 06-26-2014
Yes, I read this earlier. Be careful when you invite someone into your home. They can legally stay as long as they want.

(Note: That doesn't prevent you from pushing them out of your house and locking the door. If you tell the police you invited them in, then they will tell you to go to court. Now if you tell the police they came in forcefully without permission...end of story )
Play Care 04:13 PM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
She’d be out of my house. That is all I am going to type….

sharlan 04:40 PM 06-26-2014
They definitely need to start formal eviction proceedings.

I would give her a written statement saying that she was on her own as far as food. She would not be allowed to eat the families food. I would also see to it that someone was in my home 24/7. I would not leave my home unprotected.

I wonder if the family would get a restraining order stating that she has threatened the family and they are fearful for their children...........
Hunni Bee 04:48 PM 06-26-2014
What the entire heck...

"...wants the family out of the house from 8 am to 8 pm.."

The word is "batsh*t". I don't care what i had to do, she be beating the pavement.
Leigh 05:34 PM 06-26-2014
And they are feeding her? I would literally empty the house of anything she could eat...lock food in a safe if they had to. She can only live so long without food.
craftymissbeth 05:45 PM 06-26-2014
Honestly, no judge in their right mind is going to let her back in a court room to sue again... so I'd just do what I needed to do
AmyKidsCo 05:50 PM 06-26-2014
OMG crazy!!!
aDCProvider 05:53 PM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
aDCprovider, can you send a link of this article to your DC family that just termed to look for a nanny? lol

Blackcat31 06:16 PM 06-26-2014
Ummm...
daycare 06:22 PM 06-26-2014
I am assuming that this family did not conduct a back ground search on this woman. If they did, then they would have learned about her other violations and never hired her in the first place. Or am I missing something here..
Michael 06:48 PM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am assuming that this family did not conduct a back ground search on this woman. If they did, then they would have learned about her other violations and never hired her in the first place. Or am I missing something here..
I think even with a background check would not prevent anyone from setting up house in your home if invited in.
NightOwl 06:31 AM 06-27-2014
On the Today Show this morning, the family said they DID check references. Who would ever think to check the list of court system abusers?? Not me. Didn't know there was such a thing.
Michelle 06:43 AM 06-27-2014
California laws are very strict about "tenants" that's how the law see's it
we are landlords and we had a horrible time with some tenants
luckily for us they were too stupid to read their 30 day right and when the cops and locksmith came they had to leave with the clothes on their backs
Cops told us we had to pack up all their stuff and place outside in boxes ( big 3 bedroom house) ugh or they would squat again!

This lady knows what she is doing!
I just saw on our local news that they are locking their fridge and they had they news crew in their home interviewing her
They said they are afraid of leaving the house even for a few minutes because they think she will change the locks on them
so, they are taking the right legal steps and they will get her out.
and the news said that they did do a background check
what a nightmare!!!
I read some posts elsewhere to cut her electricity off in her room
that would back fire because she could say " lack of air /heat cause her to become sick etc. because she is elderly that have to be careful
Unregistered 07:28 AM 06-27-2014
I would make it very uncomfortable for her to live there maybe along the lines of sending my family away on vacation and then taking up a new hobby.. Indoor bee keeping right outside her room.
Laurel 07:38 AM 06-27-2014
I read this this morning and a ton of the comments afterwards. They seem to be between a rock and a hard place.

After reading so many comments and thinking about this, I don't see they have much choice but to just go through legal channels. Otherwise it could really backfire on them. If they do certain things she could cry 'elder abuse'.

What I think I would do though is to go talk to anyone I thought could expedite the court proceedings. I would find out how it's done and then make personal visits with court officials/clerks whoever and implore that they 'please' put my case on top of the stack. Who wouldn't sympathize and want to help out if they could? I wonder if a lawyer would take this case pro bono for the publicity to make it harder for this con artist to drag things out so the legal expenses would mount up. At least this way they could get her out faster. Some places are so backlogged with cases that there were posters who said it took them six months to evict. At least this might speed up the process.

Laurel
daycare 07:46 AM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
On the Today Show this morning, the family said they DID check references. Who would ever think to check the list of court system abusers?? Not me. Didn't know there was such a thing.
holy cow.....I would have never thought of that.....makes you wonder why they would not include that on a background check. One would think that it includes all legal matters, but I guess I just learned something new
Laurel 07:52 AM 06-27-2014
Now that I think of it after they get her out I wonder if they can sue her? She agreed to 'work' for the room and board and didn't. Wouldn't she then owe them the fair market value of the work she neglected to do? She did claim she was sick now but she should have to prove that she was and she was unable to perform the tasks she agreed to do.

It would make an interesting court case anyway.

Laurel
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Now that I think of it after they get her out I wonder if they can sue her? She agreed to 'work' for the room and board and didn't. Wouldn't she then owe them the fair market value of the work she neglected to do? She did claim she was sick now but she should have to prove that she was and she was unable to perform the tasks she agreed to do.

Laurel
I was also wondering about the after she is out part.

I doubt that will be nearly as newsworthy as her refusing to leave it so we may never know but once she is out, if I were the people who originally hired her, I'd be suing her for EVERYTHING I could legally sue her for and then some.

Hoping we are able to find updates.
Mom of 4 08:10 AM 06-27-2014
I can't believe that someone could possibly LEGALLY get away with being an unwanted guest in someone's home simply because they were hired as a live-in nanny. Reason # 6972 that we do not write for full-time live-in employees in CA (or anywhere else!)
Michelle 10:14 AM 06-27-2014
I actually read on another post
" scorpion?, now how did that get there?"
exrememely wrong, sad, and horrible that I laughed so hard that I almost choked on my coffee but we have been through this with our tenants!
after we evicted them and they came to get their stuff
they called the police on us saying that we "stole" their cat (who we found later hiding)
anyways, when the police came... they just laughed and ran a warrant check on all of us and arrested him because he had a warrant!

this kind of lady just really peeeves me
taking full advantage of our legal system
e.j. 03:26 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Now that the story has been all over the news everywhere, I'll bet many more people will start to check the list! It will definitely make me think twice about inviting anyone to stay in my home for any length of time.

It feels like the world is getting crazier and crazier. It always amazes me when the law actually protects people who are clearly in the wrong. Awhile back, it was legal in this state to take a picture up a woman's dress/skirt without her permission. It took public outcry to make "upskirting" illegal. Hopefully, there is enough outcry to make what this woman is doing illegal, too.
spud912 03:32 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
anyways, when the police came... they just laughed and ran a warrant check on all of us and arrested him because he had a warrant!
Karma!
e.j. 03:32 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Laurel
I'd love to see them sue her but it would probably just add to their legal costs and waste their time. They'd probably win the suit but would they be able to get anything from her?
Mom of 4 03:34 PM 06-27-2014
In many states, a burglar can come into your home, steal your things, but don't let them fall because if they get hurt, they CAN SUE YOU, and win....Totally stupid and rewards the bad behavior! BUT for the fact the jerk came UNINVITED on the property and STOLE, he would NOT have been hurt on (whatever) he is hurt on!

Kinda like parents rewarding kids with candy after a fit...hmmm...U wonder why so many self-entitled, spoiled rotten criminals exist.
Meeko 03:42 PM 06-27-2014
At least this is getting out in the media. She will eventually be evicted. But by then, her face will be known. She could end up with nobody willing to give her a job, rent her a room etc. She WILL get what's she deserves......just feel so sorry for the family and what they are going through right now.
nannyde 04:03 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Michael:
I think even with a background check would not prevent anyone from setting up house in your home if invited in.
Can I have the address of one of the Costello compounds? I am thinking my son and I could "visit" and maybe do some pool cleaning for you.

;-)
Blackcat31 04:20 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Can I have the address of one of the Costello compounds? I am thinking my son and I could "visit" and maybe do some pool cleaning for you.

;-)

Unregistered 04:32 PM 06-27-2014
I just heard on the news that she left last night
sharlan 05:49 PM 06-27-2014
I can't find anything on our local news that she is gone, but I hope she is.
Michelle 06:58 PM 06-27-2014
http://abcnews.go.com/US/nanny-leave...ry?id=24339459
sharlan 11:42 PM 06-29-2014
http://news.yahoo.com/nanny-hell-cou...004539591.html
Mister Sir Husband 12:45 AM 06-30-2014
I am very late chiming into this thread, and in fact only read it about 10 min ago... but my solution ? ⬇

Oh darn... Ya know what? It seems that we suddenly have a case of insect infestation and will need to set off a couple dozen of those bug bombs.. you are welcome to stay in the house but according to this label you may become violently ill for a couple days. (and once she's out of the house).. Oh darn.. ya know what? It seems that I have lost my house keys and will be needing to change the locks...
Laurel 04:04 AM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
I am very late chiming into this thread, and in fact only read it about 10 min ago... but my solution ? ⬇

Oh darn... Ya know what? It seems that we suddenly have a case of insect infestation and will need to set off a couple dozen of those bug bombs.. you are welcome to stay in the house but according to this label you may become violently ill for a couple days. (and once she's out of the house).. Oh darn.. ya know what? It seems that I have lost my house keys and will be needing to change the locks...
Someone suggested the bug bombing on a comment on the article I read. The police said she is a legal resident. She could come back after the fumigation I'd think. A legal resident would probably be legally entitled to a key to their legal residence. Just guessing here. She might also be able to prove it is harassment of some sort.

Maybe making it public helped. The last I read is that she left Thursday morning and was hiding in her car in the police department's parking lot. She went there as she was being followed by a photographer.

This is getting interesting!

Laurel

P.S. I don't think you'd find a company that would even do the fumigation if someone wouldn't leave. That would leave them liable.
nannyde 05:04 AM 06-30-2014
Anyone remember Waco? The FBI set up huge speakers outside of the compound and played Barney music and Nancy Sinatra "These boots are made.for walking" along with some other annoying music and sounds to try to drive them nuts and get them to come out. It's called noise terrorism or something like that.

Since she loves kids I was thinking the family my want to set up a daycare space right outside her bedroom door and invite over some attachment parented, no cry, sling worn, co-sleeping, swing sleeping, all night nipple suckling, six to ten month olds who have never been in daycare before.

A few hours of floor time and nap time for the little newbies would have a far greater noise output than any giant outdoor speakers.

We should start a no cry "cry tract" and sell it to the military.
e.j. 05:48 AM 06-30-2014
Anyone remember Waco? The FBI set up huge speakers outside of the compound and played Barney music and Nancy Sinatra "These boots are made.for walking" along with some other annoying music and sounds to try to drive them nuts and get them to come out. It's called noise terrorism or something like that.

Since she loves kids I was thinking the family my want to set up a daycare space right outside her bedroom door and invite over some attachment parented, no cry, sling worn, co-sleeping, swing sleeping, all night nipple suckling, six to ten month olds who have never been in daycare before.

A few hours of floor time and nap time for the little newbies would have a far greater noise output than any giant outdoor speakers.

Evil genius!
originalkat 07:37 AM 06-30-2014
Oh my gosh. All I have to say is my DH woud have dragged her out and asked questions later. He would not care what legal proceedings followed. There is no way she would be chillin in our house. What a psycho!! What has our world come to when the rules would protect someone like this?!?!?!?!
MarinaVanessa 02:47 PM 06-30-2014

I'd throw in a few curious 3yo' ..

knockknockknock "whucha doing? Why don't you ever come out?" knockknockknock "How come you don't ever leave?" knockknockknock
knockknockknock "My bruver danny has a friend and his dog is brown"
knockknockknock "Hellllooooooo. Can you hear meeeee?"
knockknockknock "Do you ever have to go to the bafroom?"
knockknockknock "Do you ever get hungry?" knockknockknock
knockknockknock "Are you sleeping?"....

nannyde 09:40 PM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I'd throw in a few curious 3yo' ..

knockknockknock "whucha doing? Why don't you ever come out?" knockknockknock "How come you don't ever leave?" knockknockknock
knockknockknock "My bruver danny has a friend and his dog is brown"
knockknockknock "Hellllooooooo. Can you hear meeeee?"
knockknockknock "Do you ever have to go to the bafroom?"
knockknockknock "Do you ever get hungry?" knockknockknock
knockknockknock "Are you sleeping?"....

She is still there!
Tags:contracts, fired, get a background check first, hand that rocks the cradle, insanity, nanny
Reply Up