Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WI Rule Explanation
chad3756 12:43 PM 05-31-2017
in wisconsin the rule says 4 or more kids under 24 hours and the home care needs to be licensed. does this mean 4 kids total in a week or 4 at same time? can i have 4 part time kids if there is only ever 3 or less in the house at once?
AmyKidsCo 01:04 PM 05-31-2017
Hi! I've been licensed in WI since 1999... The rule means you can't care for 4 or more children at once without being regulated. You can have as many in a week as you want, as long as there are 3 or less present at once.
chad3756 01:07 PM 05-31-2017
thx for the quick reply
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by chad3756:
in wisconsin the rule says 4 or more kids under 24 hours and the home care needs to be licensed. does this mean 4 kids total in a week or 4 at same time? can i have 4 part time kids if there is only ever 3 or less in the house at once?
Wisconsin rules say:

"Anyone providing care and supervision for 4 or more children under age 7 years for less than 24 hours a day must be licensed by the Department. Exceptions to this rule are:
- A parent, grandparent, greatgrandparent, stepparent, brother, sister, first cousin, nephew, niece, uncle, or aunt of a child, whether by blood, marriage, or legal adoption, who provides care and supervision for the child.

- Public and parochial schools.

- Care provided in the home of the child’s parent for less than 24 hours per day.

- Counties, cities, towns, school districts and libraries that provide programs for children primarily intended for social or recreational purposes.

- A program that operates not more than 4 hours per week.

- Group lessons to develop a talent or skill such as dance or music, social group meetings and activities, group athletics.

- A program where the parents are on the premises and are engaged in shopping, recreation or other non-work activities.

- Seasonal programs of ten days or less duration in any 3-month period, including day camps, vacation bible school and holiday child care programs.

- Emergency situations.

- Care and supervision for no more than 3 hours a day while the parent is employed on the premises.

- A program provided where the child of a recipient of temporary assistance to needy families, or Wisconsin works, is involved in orientation, enrollment or initial assessment or where parents are provided training or counseling."

https://www.daycare.com/wisconsin/

Hope that helps!
Mike 01:08 PM 05-31-2017
In every case I know of, the counts are number of children at one time. That would mean as long as you never have more than 3 kids at a time, you're ok.
chad3756 01:51 PM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wisconsin rules say:

"Anyone providing care and supervision for 4 or more children under age 7 years for less than 24 hours a day must be licensed by the Department. Exceptions to this rule are:
- A parent, grandparent, greatgrandparent, stepparent, brother, sister, first cousin, nephew, niece, uncle, or aunt of a child, whether by blood, marriage, or legal adoption, who provides care and supervision for the child.

- Public and parochial schools.

- Care provided in the home of the child’s parent for less than 24 hours per day.

- Counties, cities, towns, school districts and libraries that provide programs for children primarily intended for social or recreational purposes.

- A program that operates not more than 4 hours per week.

- Group lessons to develop a talent or skill such as dance or music, social group meetings and activities, group athletics.

- A program where the parents are on the premises and are engaged in shopping, recreation or other non-work activities.

- Seasonal programs of ten days or less duration in any 3-month period, including day camps, vacation bible school and holiday child care programs.

- Emergency situations.

- Care and supervision for no more than 3 hours a day while the parent is employed on the premises.

- A program provided where the child of a recipient of temporary assistance to needy families, or Wisconsin works, is involved in orientation, enrollment or initial assessment or where parents are provided training or counseling."

https://www.daycare.com/wisconsin/

Hope that helps!
no not really. i was confused by it regarding my situation.
chad3756 01:52 PM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
In every case I know of, the counts are number of children at one time. That would mean as long as you never have more than 3 kids at a time, you're ok.
thank you
LK5kids 08:31 PM 05-31-2017
Certified Family Child Care
A program regulated under DCF 202 where a person provides care and supervision for less than 24 hours per day for no more than 3 children under age 7 with a maximum group size of 6, including the provider’s own children under age 7.

I'm not in WI anymore but thought this was still an option. I looked it up just now online.
LK5kids 08:57 PM 05-31-2017
I just found a chart ( it wouldn't copy and paste correctly or I would have included it) that states 3 of your own children or related children and three unrelated for certified homes (or four related, 2 non-related, ect. Not to exceed 6).

Four years ago before I was licensed I cared for three unrelated and my granddaughter up until I was licensed..
AmyKidsCo 12:10 PM 06-01-2017
Originally Posted by chad3756:
no not really. i was confused by it regarding my situation.
What specifically is your situation?
LK5kids 05:17 PM 06-01-2017
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
A program regulated under DCF 202 where a person provides care and supervision for less than 24 hours per day for no more than 3 children under age 7 with a maximum group size of 6, including the provider’s own children under age 7

I'm not in WI anymore but thought this was still an option. I looked it up just now online.

This explanation still does sound like no more than 3 kids Under 7 yrs. I always understood it being 3 unrelated plus 3 related for a total of 6. The chart specifically says you can have three Related and three unrelated under the age of 7 yrs.
Unregistered 06:08 PM 06-01-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
What specifically is your situation?
The original answer you gave answered my question. We have 4 part time kids but never more then 3 at a time.i was unclear about the rule. Either it meaning 3 or less at a time or total kids watched at end of a week.
LK5kids 06:48 PM 06-01-2017
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
A program regulated under DCF 202 where a person provides care and supervision for less than 24 hours per day for no more than 3 children under age 7 with a maximum group size of 6, including the provider’s own children under age 7

This explanation still does sound like no more than 3 kids Under 7 yrs. I always understood it being 3 unrelated plus 3 related for a total of 6. The chart specifically says you can have three Related and three unrelated under the age of 7 yrs.
Reply Up