Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It's Hard Not To Take It Personally
littlemommy 07:26 AM 05-21-2012
When I went on vacation last October, I have my DC parents the number of a family friend who was just starting daycare. I thought it would be nice to help since none of my families had backup. It has backfired.

one family left a few months ago because they found a provider closer to home. That girl has been going to family friend on days her new provider has off. before our vacation I termed a boy due to mom overmedicating child. Termed mom went straight to family friend and she took her on ft (after I warned her what had happened.)

I had a family who I've had ft for two years switch to pt a few Weeks ago. I just found out that she's going to family friend because "there's no other kids at old providers house besides her own." Hearing that hurt. The girl and my son played great and she knew that. I feel like the other provider is stepping on my toes a bit by saying yes to my families. I also feel mad at myself because I tried to help them during my vacation. The 2 families also used her during my maternity leave. Sorry for the long rant..I'm just feeling sorry for myself!
SunshineMama 08:09 AM 05-21-2012
I'm sorry that is happening to you! Are you mentioning anything to your friend about it or not? I don't think I would be too happy about giving someone a back up provider and then losing all of my clients. Is she charging cheaper?

I guess you live and you learn. Sorry that's happening to you!
saved4always 09:18 AM 05-21-2012
A few years ago, I lost a family because they decided to go to another area provider who they used for back up when I was on vacation. That's what I get for going on a family vacation ). The other provider watched the dcm's best friend's child and I think her friend convinced dcm that she should switch to this provider so thier kids could be together. I watched dcm's friend's child the previous year but I did not do preschool runs so the friend's child was moved when he needed to be driven to preschool.

I am pretty sure that dcm's friend told the other provider exactly what stuff I did NOT do so that the provider could use these things to "lure" dcf away from me. Dcm called me to let me know the kids would not be returning the following year and she told me that this other provider would be $200 cheaper a month (mind you, I am already really cheap for this area so this provider must take many more kids to charge so little), she had longer hours than me so dcm could exercise after work (I had a strict pick up time because these dck's came pretty early in the a.m. and I wanted my time with my kids after school), provided lunch (at the time I had the kids bring lunch), AND she "promised" that she would drive dcm's kids to school through kindergarten (I had already relented on my "no preschool run" thing for this family but don't know how anyone can "promise" anything for the next 4 years ). I was going to do the preschool drive and I could have done lunch but the other 2 were non-negotiable. Anyways, I was really upset cuz I loved those kids and dcm really did love sending the kids to me...turned out though that she was more concerned with saving a buck and having her "me" time than she was with leaving her kids with a loved dcp. Taught me a lesson though: always be ready for daycare families to leave for any reason, even if they love you.

Sorry for highjacking the thread....I must still be a little bit bitter about this as it happened years ago.
jojosmommy 11:19 AM 05-21-2012
Sorry that has happened. I think your friend is taking advantage of you. And for your dcf, they come and go like the wind blows. Some stay for the love and great care you provide, others are always grass is greener people and go wherever they think they are getting a better deal. Bummer.
littlemommy 12:27 PM 05-21-2012
I haven't said anything to the other provider about it. I'm finding all of this out by someone else. It just feels like she's stepping on my toes by saying yes to my families, knowing that I'm still in town (until our house sells.) And she's actually more expensive and a drive across town. I wanted to use my last family as a reference, but not sure anymore.
temom 10:11 AM 05-22-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I haven't said anything to the other provider about it. I'm finding all of this out by someone else. It just feels like she's stepping on my toes by saying yes to my families, knowing that I'm still in town (until our house sells.) And she's actually more expensive and a drive across town. I wanted to use my last family as a reference, but not sure anymore.
First of all sorry this is happening to you, i went through the same thing just recently, this so called friend went on fb and said some really nasty things about me to the dcms and now both the families are going to her.
Once again sorry you have to go through this
renodeb 11:21 AM 05-22-2012
This is why its hard having dcproviders as friends. I really only have one provider friend now. I to got burned by a provider friend (well I thought she was a friend). Often we would be interviewing the same families. One day a prospective scheduled a meeting with her and me back to back, she kept calling me to see if they came by to meet me. They never did and they ended up going to her. I think she said something to keep them from coming to meet me but I could never prove it. After that I decided that I'd had it.
Im sorry shes doing that to you. I know it hurts.
Reply Up