Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Disappointed and a little ticked off
justgettingstarted 09:27 AM 08-08-2012
I had a new DCG start last week. I like the parents love the girl and seemed like a great fit. At interview they said they'd drop off at 8. No mention of early drop offs or need for flexibility. DCM calls last night asking to drop off an hour early. I said no and I was pretty proud of myself. Normally I would roll over and say sure no matter how I really felt. Well I'm two months pregnant and morning are rough right now so I stood my ground. She was very nice said ok. This morning she shows up and tells me tomorrow will be DCG's last day She says they need more flexibility. She goes on to say that grandma will watch her for now but they will consider placing her with me again in the future as if they can just come and go as they please. I'm just totally shocked right now. I passed on three other calls over the past two weeks and pulled all of my ads. I told her that I could be more flexible in another month or so when I'm feeling better but now that she's gone I'm starting to get really mad about this.
cheerfuldom 09:34 AM 08-08-2012
Originally Posted by thinkinboutstarting:
I had a new DCG start last week. I like the parents love the girl and seemed like a great fit. At interview they said they'd drop off at 8. No mention of early drop offs or need for flexibility. DCM calls last night asking to drop off an hour early. I said no and I was pretty proud of myself. Normally I would roll over and say sure no matter how I really felt. Well I'm two months pregnant and morning are rough right now so I stood my ground. She was very nice said ok. This morning she shows up and tells me tomorrow will be DCG's last day She says they need more flexibility. She goes on to say that grandma will watch her for now but they will consider placing her with me again in the future as if they can just come and go as they please. I'm just totally shocked right now. I passed on three other calls over the past two weeks and pulled all of my ads. I told her that I could be more flexible in another month or so when I'm feeling better but now that she's gone I'm starting to get really mad about this.
It was wrong of her to represent her schedule as one thing and then turn around and expect something different. I really dont think you should offer future flexibility either because 1. you dont know for sure that you will feel better (I am 25 weeks pregnant and morning sickness has come back BAD) and 2. she may start asking for a lot more than 1 hour on one day and once you open the door and say you will be flexible, you know she is going to expect you to do anything at anytime or she will pull her daughter again.

I say, let her go and keep interviewing. Make sure you are clear with future parents about what you can and cant do as far as business hours.
Kaddidle Care 09:45 AM 08-08-2012
Well if she keeps pulling that on people it's going to get very expensive for her. Bye-Bye deposit. Hello 2 weeks notice pay.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:47 AM 08-08-2012
Did you have her sign a contract with 2 weeks written notice or is she still in the first two weeks probationary? I always keep a waiting list when people call me because you never know when things will change unexpectedly. I probably wouldn't try to apease her now. Mark this down as a lesson learned and move on.
crazydaycarelady 10:05 AM 08-08-2012
I'm guessing that they weren't really wanting the situation with you to work out. They tried daycare, it didn't work out, now grandma will do it for FREE! The certainly didn't give the arrangement much time!
MaritimeMummy 10:08 AM 08-08-2012
So what, it only took one time of you saying no for them to think that this wasn't the right fit for their family?

Seems to me that they were looking for any excuse not to put their child in day care. Frustrating as it may be, isn't it good that they've shown their true colors now and not down the road when you've invested even more time in them?

I'm sorry it didn't work out!
DCMama 10:08 AM 08-08-2012
Seriously, is she pms'ing? You do not need those kind of people. They think they have the upper hand if you let them control the situation. You have a very good and polite reason for not being able to be flexible, I think it's sad that as a woman she can't understand that you are prego and can't be flexi. Good ridance! But yes, I would be pissed off too for turning away clients for people like that. Oh well lesson learned, at least you get two week pay...I hope.
DCMama 10:09 AM 08-08-2012
Sorry typing wit ipad, its hard...
MizzCheryl 10:15 AM 08-08-2012
Wow that was harsh. Will they give you a 2 week notice?
MizzCheryl 10:23 AM 08-08-2012
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/child-c...clients-really

Michael posted this the other day. It is an interview with Nanny de and she talks about interviewing new clients.

I love this!!!
Give it a listen and maybe it can help with your next client.
justgettingstarted 10:31 AM 08-08-2012
I have a two week trial period in my contract during which I or parents can term immediately, so no notice. This policy has benefited me in the past so I don't mind. I'm more ticked off that I spent so much time getting her setup and settled in but I supposed that's the nature of this business some times.

Out of curiosity is this something you all would accommodate normally? An hour early drop off with fewer than 12 hours notice? I'm all for being flexible, I don't even do contracted hours but this seems like a bit much especially for the third day of care.
Crazy8 10:32 AM 08-08-2012
good bye and good riddance... hope you fill the spot very quickly. And I'd be very sure to tell mom that they will not be welcomed back in the future.

Was grandma watching child before? I've seen instances where they aren't happy with grandma's care so they threaten to put child in another daycare and then do it when grandma still doesn't follow their rules, etc. - usually its the "shape up or ship out" call for grandma.
Crazy8 10:34 AM 08-08-2012
I have a two week trial period in my contract during which I or parents can term immediately, so no notice. This policy has benefited me in the past so I don't mind. I'm more ticked off that I spent so much time getting her setup and settled in but I supposed that's the nature of this business some times.

Out of curiosity is this something you all would accommodate normally? An hour early drop off with fewer than 12 hours notice? I'm all for being flexible, I don't even do contracted hours but this seems like a bit much especially for the third day of care.
If it was my first child of the day and a new client, no I would probably not accommodate it. A long time client who I know wouldn't ask unless they really needed it I would as long as it wasn't some ungodly hour (7am is my reg start time so before 6:30 would be ungodly for me, LOL!!!!).
brookeroo 10:48 AM 08-08-2012

Me... if it's a one time thing because they have an appointment or something then yes. I will accommodate them on occasion even if that means opening a little earlier because sometimes things come up. I needed some flexibility at times when I was working outside the home.

If they are asking me to open earlier on a regular basis...then no.
justgettingstarted 10:57 AM 08-08-2012
Grandma has been watching her for a while but has to come out of retirement and start working again (which is sad), so her going back to gma is only temporary while she's looking for a job. Not sure what their plans is. They seemed really happy here, DCG has settled in very quickly, I'm really surprised they wouldn't even talk to me about it first.
Kaddidle Care 11:08 AM 08-08-2012
It sounds like the Mom just jumped at the opportunity to receive free daycare (who wouldn't?) from Grandma and the child will be there until Grandma finds a job.

The inflexible thing.. I don't know why she even said that unless it was just pride.

Don't be surprised if they ring you on a Friday that they need care on Monday.
jojosmommy 12:08 PM 08-08-2012
I think you saved yourself from this happening all the time. Seems to me there are those who get it and explain their sched and stick to it and those who are always schedule difficult if you KWIM.
saved4always 01:43 PM 08-08-2012

I always had the parents' specific contracted hours listed on thier contract with their rate. If a parent asked for an early drop off or late pick up, I totally felt fine saying "no" if it did not work for me. I did accomodate if it was truly okay with me, but, if not, I would feel free to say "no". Also, when I did agree to take a child outside my usual hours, I would make it sound like it was a really big deal...so they didn't ask me unless it was really necessary. Sounds to me like they got Grandma to watch for free. Not many parents will pass up a free sitter.
busymomof2 01:51 PM 08-08-2012
Proud of you for standing your ground and saying no. I get my parents trying to pull this on me all the time. I may do 15 minutes or so early but an hour...no way.
Blackcat31 02:35 PM 08-08-2012
Was flexibility and hours discussed during the interview at all? I am just wondering if the family was honest about their needs in the first place or if they didn't mention anything about needing flexibility because they didn't but then something unexpected came up ...kwim?

Originally Posted by DCMama:
Seriously, is she pms'ing? You do not need those kind of people. They think they have the upper hand if you let them control the situation. You have a very good and polite reason for not being able to be flexible, I think it's sad that as a woman she can't understand that you are prego and can't be flexi. Good ridance! But yes, I would be pissed off too for turning away clients for people like that. Oh well lesson learned, at least you get two week pay...I hope.
That is kind of harsh.... What are "those kinds of people"? And as a woman, I am kind of insulted that you think using pregnancy as an excuse for anything is justifiable. I mean I understand that is why the OP doesn't want to accommodate the family's request for early drop off but I don't agree that just because she (DCM) is a woman, she should automatically understand. Lots of women work through pregnancy with no issues at all. Pregnancy isn't an automatic disability.

OP shouldn't have to use any excuse, if she doesn't want to accommodate early drop off, then don't. She doesn't HAVE to share the reason why.

Grandma has been watching her for a while but has to come out of retirement and start working again (which is sad), so her going back to gma is only temporary while she's looking for a job. Not sure what their plans is. They seemed really happy here, DCG has settled in very quickly, I'm really surprised they wouldn't even talk to me about it first.
That is the only reason I would be upset. I feel that I am VERY open with my daycare families and I expect them to come to me if there are any issues that are not working. If I can, I will gladly compromise so things work out for everyone and if I can't find a way to make it work for all, I will still be satisfied that we (both DCF and myself) did everything possible first before calling it quits.

I am sorry that you are losing a family (income) and am also glad you stood your ground and said no to a request you weren't willing to do. Sometimes saying no, is super hard. I hope you are able to find new client soon.
Reply Up