Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pet allergies
kitkat 07:36 PM 12-26-2012
DD was just tested for allergies & is allergic to dogs (which we knew), cats, & ragweed (didn't know cats & ragweed). Dcg got a kitten for Christmas. Dd hasn't been around cats, so we don't know what type of reaction she could possibly have. She's the first in our family to have any allergies besides seasonal, so this is all new to us. Do you think there is anything I should be concerned about with dcg and her kitten? Anything I can or should do to help cut down any chance of dd having a reaction?
daycaremom76 08:57 PM 12-26-2012
I have pet allergies as well and we have 3 dogs, 2 cats and a rabbit all of which I am allergic too! Two of the Dogs are hypo-allergetic(sp) which means I'm not allergic to them, they have hair instead of fur. It didn't make sense to me either but google it and you will understand. Anyway, the only time they really bother me is when either our American Bull Dog gets on the couch and I get her fur on my face or if the cats fur has gotten on me. Other then that we live side by side with no issues. I get really itchy eyes, sneezing, wheezing, etc........ When we first got each pet I would take Zyrtek cause it was for indoor/outdoor allergies and eventually I just got used to them and it only bothers me when they are in my face. Zyrtek is pretty expensive but most pharmacies have a generic of it and it works the same way. Just make sure it says indoor/outdoor on the label and it will cover pets and ragweed! You can also get eye drops for pet allergies as well.
daycaremom76 09:02 PM 12-26-2012
Ok so scratch pp I was thinking dd got a kitten..........oops! There shouldn't be any issues if dcg has a kitten, she wouldn't have enough cat hair on her to cause an issue. If you are that worried just get one of those lint rollers and just run it down her when she gets dropped off in the morning.
MamaG 09:13 PM 12-26-2012
I'm allergic to cats, have been since I was a child. It didn't bother me as bad as it does now. Allergies can get worse or better with time. My grandma has a cat allergy but it is severe enough it can kill her now. My sons allergic to dogs, oak pollen, dust. I vacuume at least once a day and sweep daily as well. If your daughters allergy is not sever you won't see a reaction unless you go to DCG house to play. With each exposure to the allergen (it can be fur, dander, or saliva) it can become worse.
Sunshine74 09:18 PM 12-26-2012
It depends on how bad her allergies are. My dad, 1 sister, and I, as well as my brother-in-law are all allergic to cats. I know for me personally I can have an allergic reaction if I am around something that cats fur and dander have been on (mostly stuffy nose, itchy eyes) and my brother-in-law can have a reaction if someone with a cat comes to the house and sits too close. I don't think my dad and my sister are that bad, they actually have to be around cats to have a reaction.

That being said, I've heard it all depends on the individual cat and how much dander it produces. I can go to my husband's paternal grandparents house and spend the night and not have too bad of a reaction (his grandma cleans and closes off the room we sleep in), but at his maternal grandma's house, even being there for an hour can cause symptoms. Zyrtec is what has worked the best for me, plus eye drops. If I get really bad I do need my inhaler, but that is only if I am around and have been petting cats (I can't control myself... lol).

I would do the lint roller if you find your DD is having issues, and have allergy medicine on hand. But you never know, it could be no problem at all.
Scout 04:18 AM 12-27-2012
Good to know I am not the only one allergic to dogs! I start to wheeze and feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest around labs, setters, retrievers, dalmations...these are all the animals family members own so I can not even go over my parents house without trouble! Funny thing is, I live with their two setters prior to moving here! I was fine then, I guess when I moved out my allergy got worse? In my experience I have to actually be near the animal or in a space the animal occupies to have a reaction. I haven't had it happen from just being around a pet owner. It is extremely miserable to have these reactions. When I was pregnant with DS I had a puffer for pregnancy induced asthma but, I still think I developed a temporary allergy to my cats. I hope she does well with this! It stinks to be allergic to animals!!
Reply Up