Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Shelves For Toys And Books
Abigail 08:44 PM 12-07-2010
I would like to know about your toy shelves and book shelves. Sounds weird, lol, but I don't like our current daycare shelves for various reasons. We have two shelves in the infant area with enough toys in that area to fill one shelf nicely. Then, we have a double-sided shorter (maybe 20 inches tall) toy shelf for the 1-5 year olds and they always just seem to climb on the top of it and toys never get put away nicely because they shelves are all so low they only come up to the child's knees. The last (fourth) shelf in the daycare is actually like two standard/small book shelves like found at Target or Kmart for $20, but it's actually heavy duty shelves. This shelf--it's actually two, but they're side by side and look like one shelf--has one adjustable shelf that the kids pull out on a regular basis. So anyways, I obviously don't want the same shelves as the daycare I work at. (Sorry for the long boring description!)

What would you recommend for a group of 6 children ages newborn to age 5.......(Someone is going to build me shelves, so I want to have a better idea of size/shape)

for the height of the shelves?
whether they're two-sided or one-sided?
whether they should have an adjustable shelf option?

I will have a limited space, but I was thinking about asking for two one-sided shelves so I could use them to separate play areas or section off open areas and basically just have more options for re-arranging. I don't know how large they should be or how many shelves or how many divider sections in them. LOL. I just want something simple but nice, that will withhold years of play too!
Tags:books, display, furniture, shelves, toys
Up