Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Recreational Weekend Care
Lianne0613 06:50 AM 12-30-2012
Hello parents!

I would like to ask all the parents what you think about recreational weekend care. We are planning of opening an affordable recreational weekend care which gears to all working moms and dads, single parents, students with children and basically for all types of parents. The reason why we're planning to provide this service is because we've noticed that a lot of parents doesn't have the luxury to have someone care for their children over the whole weekend so the parents can go to work, or maintain their social life, or go on a mini honeymoon to maintain their relationship with their partner, or even go to school to study. This service would operate starting from Friday at 7pm to Sunday at 6pm.

Parents, how would you feel about having someone care for your child(ren) over the weekend? What are your suggestions to make this service work? I would like for everyone to be open and honest about your suggestions regarding this type of service. We want to know if there's a need for this type of service. We do feel that there is a need for this service, but we would appreciate your honest opinions and suggestions. We appreciate any feed backs.

Thank you.
Solandia 07:03 AM 12-30-2012
You mean overnight and/or for the whole weekend? In my state, there is no option for a licensed daycare to provide that type of service. Max hours a child can be in care is 10 hrs, anything over 12hrs has to be documented with the parent having employment requiring >12hrs care.

So, no. As a parent I would not use that type of service with stranger care as it would be unlicensed/unregulated.
Blackcat31 09:20 AM 12-30-2012
Regardless of when care is offered it has to be licensed here. You couldn't just do a drop in service on weekends only without following ALL the same policies and rules other child cares follow.

As a parent, I wouldn't use the service either because it seems to be drop off type care and that means no routine, no regular providers, no structure, different playmates for my kid, sleep issues in the evenings. Too many different kids/families coming and going.

Just way too confusing.

We have a similar service here but it is open 7 days a week and only offers care for 4 hour blocks. It seems to be doing ok but it also has the above issues as well as other ones like parents not telling providers about behavior problems their kid has and parents doping and dropping off. Caregivers don't get a chance to really know the family or child so they don't know what behaviors and issues to be aware of and that is a huge problem.

Plus, there are meals and snacks to worry about. Are you supplying them or is the parent required to supply?

Will this be in a home or in a center? What ages? How many kids at one time? Will there be staff or only one or two caregivers?

I could ask a million more questions but I honestly don't see how this idea (although a good one in concept) can really successfully work without all the hundreds of issues that pop into my mind.

Also like Solandia mentioned, this would basically be "stranger care" and you definitely attract a certain type of client when you are a stranger...kwim? I have parents who are very particular about who they are leaving their child with and I would think that any parent who has no issue just dropping their child off with a stranger wouldn't really be my type of client. Just sayin'

Good luck though.
nanglgrl 03:50 PM 12-30-2012
While I do think everyone's points are valid I would need more information on the services you plan on providing to determine if it would be something I would use. I know where I live parents have a hard time finding care on weekends when they work but they all figure it out through family members, friends or hiring a babysitter. As far as parents who need time to themselves, etc. parents that do this sort of thing usually have the money to hire a regular babysitter to come to their home and they prefer to pay more and do it this way so their children are in their own home. I would be afraid of getting the single parents who want to go out so they can have a social life (which I totally understand) but then go the bar, drink and are in no condition to pick up their child. KWIM? Another thing, the parents that work on the weekend are normally going to be in the service or retail industry and their weekend schedule will probably change week to week. If your plan is to keep children all weekend long I think it would be a rarity that a parent would need that type of care and if they did they would most likely prefer to have someone in their home. I would never let anyone that I didn't know well to keep my children for an entire weekend.
Unregistered 04:13 PM 12-30-2012
There are parents that would use this type of service. I know a few poviders who offer only night care, weekend care can have structure and positive purpose. Find out with Social Services if it legal to offer this type of service. I've know day care providers to have a 24 hour service, however, no child can be there more than 23 hours and child can leave and come back in an hour. This would'nt be a service for me but there are others who I know would love your service, just do your research first.
cheerfuldom 04:39 PM 12-30-2012
I guess I am confused at how a provider is supposed to be making a reliable income off this type of idea. am I understanding that this would be drop in services basically? not regularly scheduled kids?
Hunni Bee 05:03 PM 12-30-2012
I just say do your research. I plan to open a second shift child care home, but I know I will have to search thoroughly for clients, and I am prepared for the possibility that I may have to shift to traditional hours if it doesn't work. The fact is that most people.rely on family members or babysitters for the type of care you (and I) want to offer.

However, the previous posters are correct in that there will be a certain type of clientele you will attract by being an all-night, all-weekend care situation. People simply looking to dump.their kids, partygoers, bar wait staff, etc. Also you have to be prepared for reality that.some people will leave their kids in your care the entire weekend. Lastly, these kids will probably attend another daycare or school during the week, and will tired and want to be at home. So you may run into lots of behavior and health issues....
Reply Up