Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Walking with DCKs
mamamanda 12:06 PM 07-23-2015
I currently have a summer assistant who walks with us to the bookmobile each week. We use two strollers and the older kids hold onto the handle of a stroller. I will be by myself again once school starts. I'm trying to decide if its realistically possible to continue our weekly bookmobile visit or if I will have to discontinue that. If we were just walking through the neighborhood I would feel comfortable having them all hold a rope while we walk and just pushing the babies in a stroller, but we have to cross a fairly busy street and walk down said street on the sidewalk for approximately 2 blocks. Do you walk near busier streets with your dcks? If so, how do you go about teaching them to walk nicely? They do a good job with the 2 of us, but I'm nervous about taking them by myself. Most of the time they do great, but it just takes one time of someone not behaving for someone to get hurt, kwim?
rosieteddy 01:09 PM 07-23-2015
I have walked 6 kids for many years.I use a double stroller for length and put anyone under 2 yrs in stroller(I also have 3 &5 seater strollers).Everyone else holds on youngest in back with me oldest in front.Everyone has a safety strap.They usually are worn on the adult and childs wrist.I attatch to stroller two on handle two up front.The children love when they graduate to the front of stroller or from the seat to a strap.You can buy these on amazon or babies r us stores.I never had a complaint from a parent about ''leashing ''their child works well.
NoMoreJuice! 02:18 PM 07-23-2015
My assistant and I have 12 kids. We partner them up big to Littles (preschoolers to toddlers). The rules are that they must hold hands at all times, and walk in a row like nice little ducks. If I have to remind them to line up like ducks, they go "quack quack!" They love it, we've been doing it for years and we walk a mile or two every other day to the park and children's museum. Lots of training and consistency at first, but now the older kids help remind the Littles and it's really very smooth and organized. And the quacking is adorable!
Blackcat31 03:04 PM 07-23-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
My assistant and I have 12 kids. We partner them up big to Littles (preschoolers to toddlers). The rules are that they must hold hands at all times, and walk in a row like nice little ducks. If I have to remind them to line up like ducks, they go "quack quack!" They love it, we've been doing it for years and we walk a mile or two every other day to the park and children's museum. Lots of training and consistency at first, but now the older kids help remind the Littles and it's really very smooth and organized. And the quacking is adorable!
HaHa! We do the exact same thing...quacking and all!

When we walk, we have a walking rope. The kids are buddied up (one older/one younger) and each of them holds a loop on the walking rope.

If my DH is with, we put one adult (each with a non-walker in a stroller) in front and one in the back of the line. The "little ducks" walk in between us.

If it's just me....they walk ahead of me while I follow up. That way I can visually see everyone ahead of me.
nannyde 03:14 PM 07-23-2015
https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/the-...alk-part-1.htm
nothingwithoutjoy 05:54 PM 07-23-2015
I walk with kids all the time, and I think the key is doing it a lot so your rules are a very familiar routine. I put the two youngest in a double stroller if it's too far for them to walk (or if it's easier for me, or if we're hauling a ton of library books). The others pair up two by two: I say "partner up!" and they know what I mean. Sometimes I ask older kids to hold a younger child's hand; sometimes I let them do it however; it depends whom I've got and how they do with walking. I vary whether I'm in front or they are according to where we are; as we approach a busy intersection, I want them behind me; other times, I like them in front where I can see them all. If someone needs extra attention (i.e. doesn't listen well, might bolt off, tend to walk super slowly...) they're in the stroller or hold my hand or the strap of the stroller. When we cross really busy streets, I hold everyone in some way (like I spread out all my fingers and everyone takes one), but for the most part, they know what's expected and walk well. With each new group, I start small and work up to longer/trickier walks.
mamamanda 07:31 PM 07-23-2015
These are great ideas! I love the quacking ducksGreat suggestions on the tot a longs! Thank you all! I think we will practice around the housing addition for the next couple weeks to get them ready. I'm kind of excited about it. I really dislike pushing 3 &4 year olds in a stroller.
rosieteddy 06:40 AM 07-24-2015
What Nannyd posted was exactly what I have used for 25 yrs.They are a great product.I even had a friend who walked daily with me and all our kids from 2 on got it.Funny story,my grandson was at the kindergarten-preschool nearby.One afternoon I walked to pick him up with the dckids . Arriving at the school some of my friends former dckids ran over and tried to tie themselves with the "safety straps'' they wanted to go for the walk.
mamamanda 10:23 AM 07-24-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
What Nannyd posted was exactly what I have used for 25 yrs.They are a great product.I even had a friend who walked daily with me and all our kids from 2 on got it.Funny story,my grandson was at the kindergarten-preschool nearby.One afternoon I walked to pick him up with the dckids . Arriving at the school some of my friends former dckids ran over and tried to tie themselves with the "safety straps'' they wanted to go for the walk.
That's so cute!
Reply Up