Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I or Shouldn't I?
AfterSchoolMom 10:21 AM 08-09-2010
I generally provide before and after school childcare for SA's only. I was full last year, but this year I'm down to two SA's plus my own kids. I have one more spot (I'm unlicensed and can only have 5 total). I had a teacher contact me and would like me to watch her infant (the catnapper from my previous post) during the day. The hours will only be from 8 to 3:30, so would only be for the school day, and the baby would leave only a few minutes after the SA's get off the bus. However, that's the entirety of the time that I usually use to get things done - errands, cleaning, etc.

I could use the money, but is it worth it to take on a full timer when I haven't had any full time children in several years? What do you all think? I'm having a hard time making this decision!
misol 10:50 AM 08-09-2010
Do you NEED the money or WANT the money? If you can afford not to do it, I would say pass on the opportunity. Especially since it has been years since you've done full-time. I can't remember how old the infant was but I would imagine that he/she will cut into all of your errand and cleaning time. You are not going to be able to get much done during the day.
Unregistered 10:52 AM 08-09-2010
Sorry but what is an SA? I would say it really depends on how much you enjoy your time off during the day and if you really NEED the extra money or not, we all could use a little extra. I have 2 infants that both just turned one & I am already planning on making them my last full day kids besides my own. I am having a dilemma with taking an extra b & a dck, I will be over my capacity for 2 hrs 2 days a wk in the morning and for maybe 30 mins in the afternoon after the bus for possibly 1-2 days per wk. I don't know whether to risk it or not- its just for a family that I already keep 2 out of the 3 kids and mom is thinking about changing schools so he can come to me also. How would you handle this? Look at your infant this way too- they are infants-they do sleep alot so there is still plenty of time to clean, etc. And hopefully mom will agree to errands- I feel the parents dont trust me enough if they dont allow them to run errands occasionally with me. And mom will be off with school days so you can look forward to those days off more often than usual....
Michael 04:17 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sorry but what is an SA? I would say it really depends on how much you enjoy your time off during the day and if you really NEED the extra money or not, we all could use a little extra. I have 2 infants that both just turned one & I am already planning on making them my last full day kids besides my own. I am having a dilemma with taking an extra b & a dck, I will be over my capacity for 2 hrs 2 days a wk in the morning and for maybe 30 mins in the afternoon after the bus for possibly 1-2 days per wk. I don't know whether to risk it or not- its just for a family that I already keep 2 out of the 3 kids and mom is thinking about changing schools so he can come to me also. How would you handle this? Look at your infant this way too- they are infants-they do sleep alot so there is still plenty of time to clean, etc. And hopefully mom will agree to errands- I feel the parents dont trust me enough if they dont allow them to run errands occasionally with me. And mom will be off with school days so you can look forward to those days off more often than usual....
I created a Legend for Acronyms here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16317

SA - School Age
AfterSchoolMom 04:21 PM 08-09-2010
SA = "School Ager"

The want vs. need question is a great one. I don't think it's a matter of starvation or ruin if I don't take the baby, but the extra money would be very handy for bills and savings. I'd have to take on two B/A kids to equal the money I'd be getting from ONE baby, who'd only be here $35 hours/week; however, the same two B/A kids would only be here 15 hours/week. I could get a few things done during naptime, but not as much as I'm used to. Maybe the hesitancy is selfishness on my part - I just don't know!
Unregistered 04:46 PM 08-09-2010
I would say give it a shot! It may not be as hard as you think, babies take naps and if the parents trust you as much as they should- you can run at least some errands during the day. If it doesnt work out- at least you can say you tried-and give the parents ample notice to find someone new or refer them to another provider you trust, Im sure they will understand given the circumstances. And having a teacher as a parent, you will have plenty of days off, granted she keeps the child home when she is off. And the hours(8ish-330) are wonderful- if only everyone had those hrs!
AfterSchoolMom 11:54 AM 08-10-2010
Well, I think I've pretty much decided not to do it. Now I need to come up with a nice/professional way to tell the family!
Tags:after hours care, before school
Reply Up