Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What is The Benefit For a Enrollment Fee?
legomom922 02:02 PM 08-24-2010
Do you have one? I have never charged one before, but considering it, but how do you explain that to parents as what the reason is and what does it cover? Also, how much should one be?
caitlin 02:54 PM 08-24-2010
We have a $30 enrollment fee per child. I use the money to purchase each child the few things they need to start daycare that I don't have parents provide. These things are:
-2 sippy cups (no soft tops and no removable stoppers!)
-2 cot sheets (so I can ensure they fit our cots)
-2 blankets (I buy the material and a friend sews them for me)
-toothbrush (I asked the parents to provide them and I was getting way too many different kinds)
-A package of water proof labels with their name for their cups, toothbrush, cot, etc.

Parents are aware of what the money is spent on and the reasons why I prefer to buy the items. I buy all of these things for each child in ONE color. So Sally's cup matches her toothbrush and that matches the color I write her name on her sheet. This helps the children who can't read their names yet know what is theirs. I buy 2 sheets and 2 blankets so I can wash them every other day instead of every day.
legomom922 06:38 AM 08-25-2010
hmmm..that excuse wouldnt work for me, LOL, as I only have 2 kids. Any other reasons to explain to parents I could use?
MommyD 06:52 AM 08-25-2010
I say mine is to help off-set the cost of curriculum materials, consumables (art supplies, etc.) and paper goods (toilet paper, paper towels, tissues). It is $35/year. I wrote it as "A $35 annual fee is required to help cover the cost of materials." I didn't actually collect it from anyone, but it is in the policies and on the contract, I just told them I was waiving for the first year.
kendallina 09:29 AM 08-25-2010
I charge $20 every six months to each parent and call it a "materials fee" to help offset the cost of consumable materials or special activity materials. Everyone pays it without a problem.
Liliya 09:44 AM 08-25-2010
I charge $25,one time fee,not every year and I never explain to the parent what it is used for,and no one ever asked me. For me it is to cover enrollment packet.
mac60 11:36 AM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I charge $20 every six months to each parent and call it a "materials fee" to help offset the cost of consumable materials or special activity materials. Everyone pays it without a problem.
I like that idea, but if a family has 2 kids, do you then charge $40?
legomom922 12:16 PM 08-25-2010
Ok, so what I ended up doing is charging them a one time $50 fee to help offset costs of things needed for their baby, in this case, I need a bouncy seat & a infant car seat! Is that ok?
Abigail 12:29 PM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by caitlin:
We have a $30 enrollment fee per child. I use the money to purchase each child the few things they need to start daycare that I don't have parents provide. These things are:
-2 sippy cups (no soft tops and no removable stoppers!)
-2 cot sheets (so I can ensure they fit our cots)
-2 blankets (I buy the material and a friend sews them for me)
-toothbrush (I asked the parents to provide them and I was getting way too many different kinds)
-A package of water proof labels with their name for their cups, toothbrush, cot, etc.

Parents are aware of what the money is spent on and the reasons why I prefer to buy the items. I buy all of these things for each child in ONE color. So Sally's cup matches her toothbrush and that matches the color I write her name on her sheet. This helps the children who can't read their names yet know what is theirs. I buy 2 sheets and 2 blankets so I can wash them every other day instead of every day.
Where do you get your water proof paper from? Can you take a picture of what you tooth brushes look like with a label and matching cup? Thanks! What a great idea!
caitlin 02:20 PM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Where do you get your water proof paper from? Can you take a picture of what you tooth brushes look like with a label and matching cup? Thanks! What a great idea!
I let my kids use my camera the other day to take pictures of bugs and it has been missing ever since, but I have been assured it wasn't left outside in the rain last night (I hope that is true!) so here are some links to what I buy.

Labels are from here: http://www.oliverslabels.com/

Toothbrushes are from here: http://www.smilemakers.com/Smilemake...4486EA41578192

I love these toothbrushes because I can label the outside and it makes storage so easy and they are never touching each other. They don't always match the kid's color because they come in 4 colors but the benefits out way that for me.

I use these cups, but I buy them at Walmart and the valve goes in the trashcan except for one certain little by who loves to shake his cup: http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Spill-Rev...772274&sr=1-24

But, now that I have been able to find the Playtex Tumbler style sippies I am going to switch to those for my kids who are older.

I also request that parents try to find binkies that match their child's color.

I end up spending more than the enrollment fee but I didn't want to make it too much since it is per child, and most of these things I require because I am just picky
kendallina 02:22 PM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I like that idea, but if a family has 2 kids, do you then charge $40?
Good question...I run a preschool, so right now all my kids are 2-3, so no siblings yet. I would probably just charge $20 per family (or maybe $30 if there is more than one child).
Abigail 11:29 PM 09-11-2010
Originally Posted by caitlin:
I let my kids use my camera the other day to take pictures of bugs and it has been missing ever since, but I have been assured it wasn't left outside in the rain last night (I hope that is true!) so here are some links to what I buy.

Labels are from here: http://www.oliverslabels.com/

Toothbrushes are from here: http://www.smilemakers.com/Smilemake...4486EA41578192

I love these toothbrushes because I can label the outside and it makes storage so easy and they are never touching each other. They don't always match the kid's color because they come in 4 colors but the benefits out way that for me.

I use these cups, but I buy them at Walmart and the valve goes in the trashcan except for one certain little by who loves to shake his cup: http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Spill-Rev...772274&sr=1-24

But, now that I have been able to find the Playtex Tumbler style sippies I am going to switch to those for my kids who are older.

I also request that parents try to find binkies that match their child's color.

I end up spending more than the enrollment fee but I didn't want to make it too much since it is per child, and most of these things I require because I am just picky
I'm picky too! That is why I'm doing the research before I buy, even though I was told to hold off purchasing before I'm licensed because I could claim it, but I would rather get what I really want and not feel rushed. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to personalize with the labels you use because I tried it using my daycare name and it was going to give me 40 of the same name when I only want to have 5 or so of the same name and not pay that much total. LOL.

Do you think it's okay to have a matching toothbrush with a matching cup without a name on it? This would be cost-effective for me. I could use a red toothbrush with a red rinse cup in the bathroom and have them put their toothbrush into their cup when they're done. I'm not sure if this works for licensing though? As far as other things needing labels, I would label water bottles/sippies for water as those don't need washing every day, but weekly...that is was our current daycare does and I hope it's okay with licensing too!

Each child will have an art supply box that I can label except infants. Everyone will have one cubby near the door for their extra set of clothing. Each child in diapers will have another cubby/basket in the bathroom with their diapers/personal supplies needed.

We use the "take and toss" containers by The First Years found almost anywhere for storing pacifiers. That has a name on the lid, but right now only one child has one anyways and it is only used at nap time. We also use the take and toss cups with lids like a sippy, but it just snaps on for the kids who can't use a regular small cup yet. Babies always have their own bottles supplied by the parents. http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-...A-Free/3999182

Since I will have up to 7 children, I don't see the need to label shoes or jackets and I think I could remember which blanket belongs to which child because they're stored between their cots until Friday when they're sent home to be washed. Is their anything else I'm forgetting about that may need a label?
caitlin 07:02 AM 09-12-2010
Here is what I label,
-Cups x2
-Cubby
-Coat Hook
-Toothbrush
-Diaper Cubby
-Mailbox
-Small Item Storage (I use the small plastic drawer systems and store things like binkies, teethers, teething tabs, oralgel, etc)
-Playdough (we all share art supplies EXCEPT for playdough)
-Car Seats
-Bottles
-Pack & Plays/Cribs/Cots (this is a licesning requirement for me)
-Any items parents bring in specifcally for their child
- And more.

I only have a handful of kids, right now I have 5 and one is my own. I still label EVERYTHING, I had a problem when my son was tiny (he's 10 months now) with parents accidently taking his personal things because he had the same things as the two other babies I had that were around the same age. This one time included his infant carrier so even those get labled now. I also have a pack of lables with my daycare's name on it and we have things that are the daycares labeled, and my son has labels for his things. 2 of my kids have the same people do drop off and pick up every day, and the other two have parents with crazy work schedules so different people do pick up and drop off every day and this makes it easier for them as well.

I normally have kids from 6 weeks until they start school so I find plenty of things to label throughout the years. I am also slightly OCD about organization so I can justify the cost.
Abigail 06:12 PM 09-12-2010
Good list Caitlin!

How often do you use the mailboxes? It is a sectional tray organizer? I'm looking for things I can hang up high on the wall for papers to store out of reach, yet convenient to get to. I'm just not sure how much I'll need to send home besides art work, so maybe I better look for larger mailbox slots.

I'm excited, today I dropped off my calendar to get laminated and then I get put velcro on it for the kids to put up everyday on it. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!
seashell 09:02 AM 09-13-2010
I don't charge an enrollment fee in my home daycare, but when I had my center I charged a fee and explained that it covered the enrollment packet and insurance costs.
caitlin 07:47 PM 09-13-2010
I use the mail boxes more often than I thought I would. All of the kids have bills that go out weekly or biweekly, depending on what parents choose. The older kids have art work that goes home, and the kids who aren't potty trained have notes that go home stating when they will need diapers, wipes, etc, and then of course for things like newsletters which go out monthly.

I was putting these things in the diaper bags, but I got tired of finding things crumpled at the bottom. So, now it is the parent's responsibility to check it.
WImom 05:22 AM 09-14-2010
I charge $35. A one time fee. I use it to buy items for the child care.
Tags:enrollment, fee
Reply Up