Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Stumped-MMK Expenses Input Question
legomom922 06:02 AM 01-14-2011
I am in the process right now of inputting my expenses/reciepts into MMK. Now I have stumbles upon 2 questions as I am working on this:

1. Most of my reciepts are from Walmart and are mixed with Personnal/DC items. When entering expenses into MMK, am I suppose to list each item individually, such as clorox wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, OR can I group them together as cleaning supplies? Part 2 to this question, is that am I suppose to include in the amount I enter into MMK the amount before the sales tax or after? It seems like it would take me forever to figure the sales tax on each item or each grouping...

2. I had bought one of those portable/temporary blue pools by Intex, (I'm sure you know the type I mean) and my DC kids would go in it in the summer. So I can I use T/P% on the pool and all of it's up keep & supplies? (Chlorine, pool toys, cover,) and also we had to buy a few loads of dirt to level our ground, so can I write that off too?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:36 AM 01-14-2011
I don't know if this is the "right" way, but I group my purchases together. If I have items on a receipt that is part TSP and part 100%, I enter the group of TSP in one entry and the group of 100% in another entry. In the item desciption box I write the things I purchased using comas. I add in the sales tax, if I have 5 items for TSP I add those prices up and add in my 8% sales tax and same with the 100%. Then on either the back or front of the receipt I write down TSP=(total cost here with the sales tax included), then the same for 100%.

I enter in my receipts throughout the year, I couldn't imagine having to do it all at once. I did get a few months behind over the summer and had a bunch to enter in late Sept. and that took a little while.

As far as the pool, we (in NYS) are not allowed to have any type of kiddie pool at all, and if we have a large pool we have to get permission and go through a lot to get authorized to let daycare kids use it. If your state allows that type of pool and the daycare kids are using it, I would certainly claim it as a TSP write off as well as the dirt it took to level it and any supplies it takes to maintain it. If daycare kids are using it too, all that can be time/space percentage write off.
legomom922 06:54 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I don't know if this is the "right" way, but I group my purchases together. If I have items on a receipt that is part TSP and part 100%, I enter the group of TSP in one entry and the group of 100% in another entry. In the item desciption box I write the things I purchased using comas. I add in the sales tax, if I have 5 items for TSP I add those prices up and add in my 8% sales tax and same with the 100%. Then on either the back or front of the receipt I write down TSP=(total cost here with the sales tax included), then the same for 100%.

I enter in my receipts throughout the year, I couldn't imagine having to do it all at once. I did get a few months behind over the summer and had a bunch to enter in late Sept. and that took a little while.

As far as the pool, we (in NYS) are not allowed to have any type of kiddie pool at all, and if we have a large pool we have to get permission and go through a lot to get authorized to let daycare kids use it. If your state allows that type of pool and the daycare kids are using it, I would certainly claim it as a TSP write off as well as the dirt it took to level it and any supplies it takes to maintain it. If daycare kids are using it too, all that can be time/space percentage write off.
I am in NYS too, but I am not registred, so I guess you can say I make my own rules? LOL There is no one to tell me I can't allow the DC kids go in the pool, and I did get permission from the parents to do so.

Also, the town I live in has no restrictions on pools either, maybe because I live in the country?

Also, as far as the reciepts the go, so it sounds like then you really do have to figure out the tax seperately........ugh......I was afraid of that, LOL Aren'tthere some items that are non-taxable? I think on walmart reciepts, they are marked with either a N for non-taxable or a X for taxable..I am guessing anyways from looking at the reciept.LOL
TomCopeland 01:42 PM 01-14-2011
MySunshine is exactly correct in how to handle the receipts in MM and about the pool expenses!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:33 PM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
MySunshine is exactly correct in how to handle the receipts in MM and about the pool expenses!
See how valuable you are Tom? I have learned so much by reading your responses and starting to re-read your book....just another THANK YOU for all you do!
TomCopeland 07:29 PM 01-14-2011
You are welcome.
legomom922 11:07 AM 01-16-2011
Tom, Since I am not licensed, and have no laws to follow for my pool, wouldn't the answer be different in my case? Shouldnt I still be able to write it all off with t/s% since the dcks used it all summer?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 11:38 AM 01-16-2011
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Tom, Since I am not licensed, and have no laws to follow for my pool, wouldn't the answer be different in my case? Shouldnt I still be able to write it all off with t/s% since the dcks used it all summer?
I would think so since the daycare kids use it. As long as you're in the guideline for NY and have only 2 non related children for daycare kids, you should be fine to write it off with TSP.
TomCopeland 02:36 PM 01-16-2011
You can deduct the t/s% of a wading pool if you are using it in your business and you are not forbidden from using one under your state law.
legomom922 03:08 PM 01-16-2011
It's not a wading pool, it was 3.5 ft deep x 15.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:30 AM 01-17-2011
Since you are not licensed and have no rule on those types of pool, you should be fine to claim it...we are in the same state and being licensed, we can't use use any pool like that. Being unlicensed exempts you from those rules. I asked my licensor back when I was getting registered because I had a couple kids in care.
TomCopeland 08:52 AM 01-17-2011
It doesn't matter that it isn't a wading pool. As an unlicensed provider you are not in violation of any state rules for having this pool, so it's deductible.
legomom922 08:54 AM 01-17-2011
Yay!!!
Tags:mmk, money management
Reply Up