Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outside Play Temp Limits
MN Day Mom 07:48 AM 12-08-2011
Just curious at what temperature or windchill do you keep the children inside and skip the outdoor play?? Do you have self made guidelines that you use as your own rule??
Zoe 07:51 AM 12-08-2011
Personally, I'm a wimp during the winter, so if it's under 20 degrees (temp, not windchill), I stay in. But that's just me!
sharlan 07:52 AM 12-08-2011
I just refused to let the kids go outside, it's 44*. Anything below 55* and it's a no go.
melskids 07:54 AM 12-08-2011
below 20* here....or above 90*

Sharlan...I had to chuckle. a day at 55 here and its a beautiful day...we'd be outside in tshirts and flip flops...lol
sharlan 08:00 AM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:

Sharlan...I had to chuckle. a day at 55 here and its a beautiful day...we'd be outside in tshirts and flip flops...lol
I just dressed my grandson in an undershirt, long sleeved t-shirt, and heavy sweat pants for a trip to the zoo, later when it warms up.
meganlavonnesmommy 08:02 AM 12-08-2011
I have licensing regulations that outline outdoor playtime for certain temps.

90 degrees and up, outdoor activity limited to 20 minutes
88-90 degrees, limited to 30 minutes
85-88 degrees, limited to 45 minutes
82-85, limited to 50 minutes
55-82, no limitations
45-55, limited to 45 minutes
35-45, limited to 30 minutes
20-35, limited to 20 minutes
below 20 degrees, no outdoor play
Lianne 08:50 AM 12-08-2011
I have a very scientific way of determining whether we play outside or not. I step out onto my porch. If the first words out of my mouth are "Holy crap, it's cold" then it's too cold to play outside. If I step out and my first words are "Wow, what a nice day" then we go out. It's taken me years to perfect this technique
Unregistered 08:54 AM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I have a very scientific way of determining whether we play outside or not. I step out onto my porch. If the first words out of my mouth are "Holy crap, it's cold" then it's too cold to play outside. If I step out and my first words are "Wow, what a nice day" then we go out. It's taken me years to perfect this technique
LOL!!!!! That's great! I bet it way more reliable than a temp right?
Lilbutterflie 08:55 AM 12-08-2011
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet; this website has a page on this topic with a chart:

https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
Ariana 09:21 AM 12-08-2011
At the centre where I used to work it was to be no colder than -17 celcius for preschool and -10 celcius for toddlers. This is a guideline I use. If we go out and I feel it's too cold then we come in. Today it was 'only' -8 celcius but with the cutting wind it was soooo cold!!
laundrymom 10:51 AM 12-08-2011
This is me!!!!! Also, 40 and calm wind with sun is totally different than gusting wind and cloudy wet skies at 50.
DCMom 11:00 AM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:

I had to look and see where you were from when I read that, lol! It is a beautiful, sunny 22* here and all my 4's and older are outside playing in the snow
Meeko 11:20 AM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I just refused to let the kids go outside, it's 44*. Anything below 55* and it's a no go.
LOL Sharlan! We go outside every day unless there's a danger of freezing solid mid motion!

My SIL lives in CA and she makes me laugh when she puts a sweater on when it's warm enough for shorts here!!

Funny how we all have different ideas of cold...or too hot!
Oneluckymom 12:04 PM 12-08-2011
LOL...love this. This is so me!!
SilverSabre25 12:06 PM 12-08-2011
Right now we're barely going out at all because I have yet to see hats or gloves arrive with my dcks. It's chilly enough that I, who hates hats and gloves, am wanting to put them on (mid-30's) and I'm not going to haul the small children out without them. I will be making hats and gloves to stay here just as soon as I get a chance.
SilverSabre25 12:07 PM 12-08-2011

youretooloud 12:09 PM 12-08-2011
Kinda ashamed to admit this.

Anything below 65 degrees is kinda cold, and I tend to keep everybody inside. And...... if I'm totally honest, anything below 70 degrees is a wee bit cold for me.
Michael 02:51 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Kinda ashamed to admit this.

Anything below 65 degrees is kinda cold, and I tend to keep everybody inside. And...... if I'm totally honest, anything below 70 degrees is a wee bit cold for me.
Since you live in the desert I would agree. Our blood is thinner.
frgsonmysox 02:57 PM 12-08-2011
Here, a 50 degree day is NICE! It gets down to -28 a lot in the winter time. It's sad that if the temp went up 50 degrees we'd still be freezing.
sharlan 05:45 PM 12-08-2011
That yucky, wet, cold, white stuff that you call snow is beautiful. Beautiful as long as I am looking out my bedroom window at the mountains some 45 miles away. I don't think I've been to the snow in 25 yrs.
VTMom 05:54 PM 12-08-2011
Below 20 degrees is my typical cut-off for outdoor play. We were outside for 45 minutes this afternoon in low 30 degree weather. Nice fresh snow to play with!
mema 06:52 PM 12-08-2011
Usually 15-20* with the windchill. I see we are going to be in the 30's this weekend tho!!! I'm sure my kids will be asking for shorts!
Abigail 11:05 PM 12-08-2011
All I can say is this is going to be an interesting winter for me having my own daycare kids............soon I hope! I'll be following the chart that I have laminated and hung up near the exit door as a reminder. It's the same as others have posted about 20 degrees......we'll be lucky to reach 20 degrees shortly here. I need to go buy a pair of boots this week or else I'll be making sure I keep 2-3 pairs of socks in the daycare area just for MY feet to stay warm, ha ha!
Solandia 02:40 AM 12-09-2011
We go outside for long periods of time, even when cold out. Without any wind, I would say near 0F. I don't keep the littles out in the wind, but my big kids can stay out and come in whenever. I require waterproof outerwear, of decent quality. We are outdoors a TON. This is when a parent tells me their kid hates the snow....I would to if I was dress in ill-fitting Wally world crap that doesnt keep me warm. I don't care if it isnt fair that you have to spend more than $10 on a pair of boot, or that your kids mittens cost more than$2. It's required, and if you dint like it.... move along.

Does anyone else put ob their snowpants & play in the snow or go sledding with the kids? I, and many of my daycare parents do, therefore most haven't complained about the decent outerwear requirement. and with having all super active boys on most days, thecpatents totally get that staying inside is not optional.
Kaddidle Care 04:20 AM 12-09-2011

Love this!

I think here it's 32* or under they aren't supposed to go out but we've been known to go out if it's that cold if it's bright and sunny (our playground has that rubber padding that absorbs the heat of the sun so it's usually warmer out there).

So long as the children are bundled properly, they should be allowed to get out to burn off some steam at least for 15-20 minutes. Sometimes if it's damp outside we'll just use the children as a guide. First one that says they are cold means it's line up to go in time.
mismatchedsocks 05:20 AM 12-09-2011
If I think the kids can enjoy themselves outside for at least 15 minutes without being cold or cuddling up to me, then we go outside. But when it takes longer to put outerwear gear on then we are outside, then nope!
BigMama 07:31 AM 12-09-2011
Here in NY our regulations say that we must go outside for at least 30 min. a day unless there is "inclement weather." I used to define that as below 30 degrees. Last month, however, I read a snippet in Young Children journal that stated that in Fairbanks, Alaska the children go outside unless it is colder than
-10 degrees! That really broadened my thinking about it being "too cold!"
Zoe 08:01 AM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by Solandia:
We go outside for long periods of time, even when cold out. Without any wind, I would say near 0F. I don't keep the littles out in the wind, but my big kids can stay out and come in whenever. I require waterproof outerwear, of decent quality. We are outdoors a TON. This is when a parent tells me their kid hates the snow....I would to if I was dress in ill-fitting Wally world crap that doesnt keep me warm. I don't care if it isnt fair that you have to spend more than $10 on a pair of boot, or that your kids mittens cost more than$2. It's required, and if you dint like it.... move along.

Does anyone else put ob their snowpants & play in the snow or go sledding with the kids? I, and many of my daycare parents do, therefore most haven't complained about the decent outerwear requirement. and with having all super active boys on most days, thecpatents totally get that staying inside is not optional.
I don't want to start a fight or anything, but I do have some hats and mittens from WalMart that are actually pretty good and my own two kids have no problems playing outside or having problems staying warm.

But I get what you're saying about cheap stuff that doesn't do what it's supposed to do.
littlemommy 08:19 AM 12-09-2011
I have a parent that is very good about bringing snow pants, gloves, hat, and a warm coat every day. Every day at pick up she asks if we went outside. Yesterday was the only day we've made it out. Either one kid doesn't have warm clothing, or it's just too cold. It's also kind of a hassle to get 4 toddlers dressed and drag my 35 week pregnant self into the cold. It's tough to chase after them!

Am I wrong to get annoyed when this mom seems annoyed that we have only gone out once in the snow?
Country Kids 08:24 AM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I have a parent that is very good about bringing snow pants, gloves, hat, and a warm coat every day. Every day at pick up she asks if we went outside. Yesterday was the only day we've made it out. Either one kid doesn't have warm clothing, or it's just too cold. It's also kind of a hassle to get 4 toddlers dressed and drag my 35 week pregnant self into the cold. It's tough to chase after them!

Am I wrong to get annoyed when this mom seems annoyed that we have only gone out once in the snow?
I think from the parents view I would get very tired of bringing the proper clothing every day just to hear there was no need to. It would get tiring to pack it up and then here no we didn't go out. Either make it a rule everyone goes outside or we won't be going outside till March when the weather may be nicer.
Solandia 08:26 AM 12-09-2011

I would be annoyed, too. It is because the parent doesn't want to take the kid outside, and figures you are getting paid for it and should do it with a smile. It is the same with fingerpainting, playdoh and all sorts of messy stuff that so many parents dont allow at their house. They want the child to have those experiences, but don't like/want the effort that goes with it.
littlemommy 08:55 AM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I think from the parents view I would get very tired of bringing the proper clothing every day just to hear there was no need to. It would get tiring to pack it up and then here no we didn't go out. Either make it a rule everyone goes outside or we won't be going outside till March when the weather may be nicer.
It's hard to make it a rule that everyone goes out when there always seems to be one that doesn't have proper clothing.
melskids 09:04 AM 12-09-2011
It's hard to make it a rule that everyone goes out when there always seems to be one that doesn't have proper clothing.
I make sure they have proper clothing at drop off in the morning. If not, mommy takes little Jonny back home to get it, or, to work with her that day.
Tags:outside play winter, outside temp, weather policy
Reply Up