Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Immunization Regs
Meeko 01:37 PM 12-31-2012
Our state is changing their regs for immunizations. Licensing will no longer check immunization records during inspections. Sounds good, right? WRONG!

Once again, daycare providers are being told we have to babysit parents as well as their children.

We are going to have to still keep track of shot records and fill out online reports to the state immunization program. They, in turn, will notify licensing if we don't keep up on it and then licensing will give out citations as they deem fit. Licensing staff will no longer look at records while in our homes. They will rely on the state report.

Here's my problem with this.

The state immunization program wants records filled out online. OK...fine.

So why not have the PARENT be responsible for that?????

It could be set up, so that parents have to print off a form to show a prospective provider than the child is either up to date or has a waiver.

Why oh why does it have to be OUR responsibility to make sure kids are immunized? Make the parents actually be parents!!!!! No up to date form to show the provider? No care. Easy.

If the state are going to inform licensing as to shot updates...then why not just inform the providers instead? "So-and-so parent is not up to date, so no care until it's taken care of". Parents would get it done on time if they were held responsible and were paying for a slot regardless of attendance. Let the STATE do the chasing...not me. Let the STATE keep on the records (which they say they are going to anyway) and not me. Hold the parent liable and not me.

I have 16 daycare kids. I am supposed to be responsible for making sure they all have their shots, even maybe being fined if my records aren't in order........while the parents aren't held responsible for anything?

What is wrong with government?!!!!!!

What's next? Am I going to get fined if a child gets cavities because the parent doesn't take them to the dentist? Am I going to be held responsible for bathing the children if their parents don't wish to do it?

At what point to the parents just give up ALL responsibilities and hand over to the daycare?

There is no reason that PARENTS shouldn't be forced to take care of their own kids instead of forcing the daycares to do it.

I am honestly sick to death of babysitting adults.
MarinaVanessa 02:05 PM 12-31-2012
I'm assuming because parent's have a choice (in most states) to vaccinate their children or not, for them it's a personal choice. As a parent you aren't regulated or required to vaccinate your child at a young age. Once they get to school or go into daycare it's now that entity's responsibility to make sure they know who is vaccinated and who isn't just in case of an outbreak. Some states require that children in daycare and in schools require the children that attend be vaccinated, other states allow it to be a parent's choice.

I'm in CA and I make it perfectly clear that I am REQUIRED to check vaccines and THAT THE ONLY WAY AROUND THIS IS IF THE PARENT DECIDED NOT TO VACCINATE AND SIGNED THE PERSONAL BELIEF AFFIDAVIT on the back of the vaccination card that I'm required to keep. Last year every single parent filled out the back of the card and I know that at least 2 of my DCK's get vaccinated because the parent's have told me that their child would be absent due to vaccinations. I think they do it because they don't want to mess with having to fill out the paperwork which suits me just fine but I know that not every state allows this.

Even though licensing raises an eyebrow at this they can't really say anything.

I'm sure they come in and see my paperwork and say "Hmmm, every single parent here chooses not to vaccinate their child. Interesting."
allieannarbor 02:28 PM 12-31-2012
We too have to do that, I actually have to go through and count how many families received their MMR on time and how many choose religious exemption and do that for each and every vaccine. I was also told by the state agency (health dept) that it is my responsibility to know when a child is due for another shot and to remind the parents and have them update paperwork--I understand updating paperwork but agree why am I babysitting parents?!
MarinaVanessa 02:33 PM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by allieannarbor:
We too have to do that, I actually have to go through and count how many families received their MMR on time and how many choose religious exemption and do that for each and every vaccine. I was also told by the state agency (health dept) that it is my responsibility to know when a child is due for another shot and to remind the parents and have them update paperwork--I understand updating paperwork but agree why am I babysitting parents?!
I'm sure the school systems feel the same as well. I know our schools remind the parents ... but I think they have it easier. You only need vaccines for entrance into pre-school once and then not again until the child starts kinder. Once again I think in middle school and maybe once again in high school ???? I can't remember that far ahead .... in DC we have infants and young toddlers and they get vaccinated as often as every 3-6 months, multiply that by a ton of DC kids ... sheesh .
Meeko 02:58 PM 12-31-2012
To get a waiver here, the parent has to pay $20 per child, watch an official information video at the health dept. and then have the card signed by a health official.

I wish I could just have them sign the immunization form, but it's not that easy here.

Otherwise...I would have them all sign the waivers and then do whatever they want later.

As it is...I am expected to closely watch the records of 16 children to make sure they are up to date.

I just figured that if the immunization program was going to watch closely anyway and then inform licensing if children were missing their shots and then licensing come after the provider,,,,sheesh....why not go after the parents instead!!!!!???

Bottom line....The answer is money.

They can't fine the parents for not keeping up on shots. But they can fine us. They don't want to lose that possible revenue, so why make it streamlined and have parents be parents.
Blackcat31 03:02 PM 12-31-2012
Doesn't MMK have something that tracks the imms of the kids enrolled?

I think I saw something on there but I don't use that part of it so I can't remember.

Thank goodness most imms kids are required to have are all done by age 2. I think the next set they need after age 2 isn't until school entrance so even though it is a pain in the a$$, it isn't too complicated.

I am NOT required to notify parents when their child is late or due for imms but I do it as a courtesy because I prefer they are up to date at all times.

Our state gives the option of religious expemption with just the parents word and notarized signature.
allieannarbor 03:33 PM 12-31-2012
Hmmn no fines for us.

I actually kind of like there are added steps for parents other than just checking a religious exemption box... hmm
CozyHome 03:40 PM 12-31-2012
Wow, you have so many rules and regs to follow! I'm feeling very lucky after reading a lot of these posts to be self-employed and not with any agency. I follow all the common sense safety rules but I don't have any problem with parents who don't want to vaccinate their children. It's too bad your state is putting such restrictions on you. I do ask that children be vaccinated on Fridays so they are home for 48 hours with their parents in case of fevers or other reactions.
MarinaVanessa 04:06 PM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Doesn't MMK have something that tracks the imms of the kids enrolled?

I think I saw something on there but I don't use that part of it so I can't remember.

Thank goodness most imms kids are required to have are all done by age 2. I think the next set they need after age 2 isn't until school entrance so even though it is a pain in the a$$, it isn't too complicated.

I am NOT required to notify parents when their child is late or due for imms but I do it as a courtesy because I prefer they are up to date at all times.

Our state gives the option of religious expemption with just the parents word and notarized signature.
I saw that too but I don't know if it gives you alerts since none of my clients get their children immunized **cough cough ... so I haven't had to use it.
Tags:immunization
Reply Up