Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting Nap Dilemma
mamamanda 06:20 PM 06-09-2015
I have 2 kids that don't typically nap during the day. I have all of my kids lay down for 20 minutes at nap time which gives the nappers time to go to sleep and the non-nappers a few minutes to rest and then these two get up for preschool which I teach daily. It has been working out great for all of us. My problem is that this week my 3yo dcb who is still very much in need of a nap has figured out that the older kids get back up once he goes to sleep. He is purposely keeping himself awake at nap time and bothering the other nappers in the process now because he refuses to go to sleep if they don't have to. I'm not sure how to handle this. With my other nappers if someone doesn't go to sleep right away I can leave them on their mat with instructions to go to sleep and leave the door open and monitor on so that I can see/hear them and all is well, but this little guy is the type who will do anything and everything to get into trouble the second he thinks you're not looking. One day I moved him into a separate room by himself to nap since he wouldn't leave the other nappers alone, but that's not really something I don't really want to have to do daily. Any suggestions on how to handle this? He's typically asleep within 10 minutes so I know he's tired. It's not fair to any of us for him to miss his nap, but its not fair to my preschoolers to have to skip their lessons which they love because he won't go to sleep either. (I am actually teaching these two curriculum in lieu of them going to another preschool so its not like we're just missing fun "school" time. They really are missing out on preschool if we can't make this work.)
spedmommy4 10:19 PM 06-09-2015
Does dcb want to be isolated from the other nappers? If not, that could work for you. I have 1 that comes twice a week that does this. I gave him a choice, " stay here or go to the quiet room." (My daughters room/no other nappers) He lasted 10 minute and asked to join the group again. I haven't had a big problem since.

With this little one, I also set him up for success by giving him tons of space. He doesn't get to lay near anyone or anything. His nap spot is near the blank wall a good 3 feet from friends. Even on good days, he doesn't need much to keep him awake.
nannyde 07:15 AM 06-10-2015
Start his nap at least a half hour before the kids.
Shell 09:55 AM 06-10-2015
I have one like this. I have the older kids pretend to sleep- they are very convincing. No one moves a muscle until the child is asleep, and then the big kids get up and do activities. Hth!
Hunni Bee 06:27 AM 06-11-2015
Honestly, I havent even tried to be "fair" about it. I have one that has never napped and one that only naps if its been a busy morning, he doesn't feel well, etc.

The others all need to nap. Everybody gets on their cots, the none nappers get books after 30 minutes.

If the sleepy ones try and stay up if they happen to see the books, they quickly find out it's not worth it as I'm just going to keep smiling sweetly and saying "You need to sleeeep"

I haven't really had an issue with it though.
Tags:nap - disruptions
Reply Up