Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Magic Sleep Suit
Indoorvoice 04:49 AM 06-26-2015
http://www.magicsleepsuit.com/

One of my dcf wants their 3 month old to sleep in this. It's basically super thick pajamas. One, it's a pain to get on and off for his 3 naps a day, especially if I need to do a diaper change during nap. Two, I'm sure it's safe, but the thickness makes me nervous and I don't know how licensing would feel about it. Three, I want him to learn how to sleep without any gimmicks. Four, he was sleeping fine in his sleep sack for 3 weeks until mom changed to an erratic work schedule.

Would you use this? If not, how would you say no thanks, please don't bring this politely? Mom was pretty insistent that I use this.
Shell 05:05 AM 06-26-2015
I don't see how that is any better than a sleep sack?!

I would blame licensing and say the only approved anything are the sleep sacks.

I'm glad to be getting out of the infant game- there's a new gimmick every week. Whatever happened to putting your child down for nap/bed sleepy and letting them learn to fall asleep independently? If you do so from the start, there's no crying and baby learns.
NoMoreJuice! 05:07 AM 06-26-2015
That thing looks like a nightmare when baby poos all over and you have to wrangle them out of it. Tell her you have to run it by licensing.
Unregistered 05:18 AM 06-26-2015
That thing looks like a snow suite not a sleep outfit. I would take it from the mom but never use it!
Laurel 05:18 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:

One of my dcf wants their 3 month old to sleep in this. It's basically super thick pajamas. One, it's a pain to get on and off for his 3 naps a day, especially if I need to do a diaper change during nap. Two, I'm sure it's safe, but the thickness makes me nervous and I don't know how licensing would feel about it. Three, I want him to learn how to sleep without any gimmicks. Four, he was sleeping fine in his sleep sack for 3 weeks until mom changed to an erratic work schedule.

Would you use this? If not, how would you say no thanks, please don't bring this politely? Mom was pretty insistent that I use this.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it. I think that is what I would do and if it was a pain, I'd tell her and not use it.

It seems like just a gimmick to me. I don't see how it fills in for swaddling. Both legs and arms are free. It just seems like a glorified what we used to call 'blanket sleeper' (in the olden days ).

Laurel
Laurel 05:21 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
That thing looks like a snow suite not a sleep outfit. I would take it from the mom but never use it!
I thought of that too. I've taken things from parents and not used them. It makes the parents and me happy. Win, win. (although I know some people disapprove of this 'white lie.' I would try it and then if I didn't like it just not say anything to the parent.

Laurel
Leigh 05:55 AM 06-26-2015
It's summer. An overheated baby is at risk for SIDS. I wouldn't allow it.
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 06-26-2015

Nope.

If parents want special clothing for their child, the child needs to arrive in it.

Just as I would not dress a preschooler who arrived in pajama's I am not changing an infant in and out of some magic suit.....

I'd tell them they are welcome to do whatever they want on their time but when it's your time....dressing and redressing their child several times a day in addition to the multiple diaper changes you already do, it's just not feasible. I wouldn't do it.
Indoorvoice 06:04 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
I don't see how that is any better than a sleep sack?!

I would blame licensing and say the only approved anything are the sleep sacks.

I'm glad to be getting out of the infant game- there's a new gimmick every week. Whatever happened to putting your child down for nap/bed sleepy and letting them learn to fall asleep independently? If you do so from the start, there's no crying and baby learns.
They will do anything to not have to deal with normal infant sleep disturbances at night! I already tried the first day he was here and after his first nap decided it was not worth the hassle and that it was better for him to learn to sleep in a sleep sack and I told mom not to bring it anymore. He had 3 weeks of beautiful sleep here. Now mom changed her work schedule and he doesn't come at the same time everyday and she wonders why he isn't sleeping well here anymore. I was put off by her rudeness of insisting that he sleep with that and my passive aggressive side would just love to prove her wrong, but I know I can't always act that way in this business
Indoorvoice 06:17 AM 06-26-2015
**update**

I ran it by licensing and she said while there are no specific rules about that suit, that she personally wouldn't use it and if she saw an infant sleeping in that during a visit that she would insist that it be changed to a sleep sack. She said it is too thick for summer months and puts him at risk for SIDS.

Thanks for your advice as usual! Now I'm armed with some information and words to back up my wishes.
Baby Beluga 07:44 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
It's summer. An overheated baby is at risk for SIDS. I wouldn't allow it.
This was my thought too
midaycare 10:12 AM 06-26-2015
"It helps baby transition from the swaddle." Goodness gracious. If a baby wants a swaddle, swaddle it. If not, don't. I didn't realize their was a transition phase now.

I would not do it.
Laurel 10:15 AM 06-26-2015
**update**

I ran it by licensing and she said while there are no specific rules about that suit, that she personally wouldn't use it and if she saw an infant sleeping in that during a visit that she would insist that it be changed to a sleep sack. She said it is too thick for summer months and puts him at risk for SIDS.

Thanks for your advice as usual! Now I'm armed with some information and words to back up my wishes.
Perfect! Now you have licensing to back you up. I love it when things like that happen.

Laurel
Leigh 01:08 PM 06-26-2015
First the "magic" teething necklaces, then the kids covered in essential oil, now the magic sleep suit...what's next?
Thriftylady 01:47 PM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
First the "magic" teething necklaces, then the kids covered in essential oil, now the magic sleep suit...what's next?
Hard telling, but you know parents will spend money on it!!
Unregistered 10:44 AM 06-27-2015
Not sure what state you are in by in mine, they allow use of the magic sleepsuit. I use all the time and is well worth it because it really helps babies sleep and I would rather that than a cranky baby. While bulky, because feet and hands are open, babies regulate heat very well. You of course have to be the ultimate judge, but we love it.
Unregistered 02:09 PM 12-09-2015
I never reply to posts but just have to say that I think you are being very rude. I am a new mom, stumbled across this site while researching the magic suit. My infant has been in daycare a month and is having a hard time napping there. Now he is starting to roll so they won't swaddle anymore- the only thing that helps him get any small nap. He is exhausted when I pick him up and falls right asleep...won't nurse at all when he is so tired. It is not that we are trying to "avoid sleep disturbances at night" like you say. We want our children to be happy and content during the day when we can't be there to comfort them and to have a sleep pattern that is normal and healthy for our infants.
Please do not lie to the parents. It is a hard enough transition without snotty daycare providers who think they know your children better than you do. Lying will make it impossible for that parent to figure out what works best for her child.
Blackcat31 02:19 PM 12-09-2015
I never reply to posts but just have to say that I think you are being very rude. I am a new mom, stumbled across this site while researching the magic suit. My infant has been in daycare a month and is having a hard time napping there. Now he is starting to roll so they won't swaddle anymore- the only thing that helps him get any small nap. He is exhausted when I pick him up and falls right asleep...won't nurse at all when he is so tired. It is not that we are trying to "avoid sleep disturbances at night" like you say. We want our children to be happy and content during the day when we can't be there to comfort them and to have a sleep pattern that is normal and healthy for our infants.
Please do not lie to the parents. It is a hard enough transition without snotty daycare providers who think they know your children better than you do. Lying will make it impossible for that parent to figure out what works best for her child.
I may not know your child better than you but I know babies MUCH better than you. I have 25 years of hands on experience with babies and sleep.

Your child care provider is not choosing to not swaddle. She more than likely CAN'T swaddle anymore since he is rolling over. The LAW says so.

I am required BY LAW to follow the state's regulations and could lose everything I've worked for if I take a risk and listen to a parent before that law.

I also think that parents ARE trying to find easier ways to get their child to sleep verses training them to sleep in the way that daycares can LEGALLY replicate.

Training your child to sleep in the manner that their child care requires is providing your child with the tools to THRIVE and not just survive. There is a BIG difference.

Once he outgrows the magic sleep suit, then what? Another gimmick? Another easy button?

It would be much simpler and much more beneficial to your child if you as the parent taught him to sleep in a manner that is conducive to BOTH home and daycare.

The up side to that is you won't ever have to wean him from some magic suit, vibrating bouncy seat or some other contraption that is only a short term solution to a long time issue.

Also, for what it's worth, I dot condone lying to a parent either. I just tell them what I can and can't do. The rest is up to them but I will also terminate care for a child who has needs that hinder my ability to provide safe and nurturing care for the others in my program. This includes a child that can't sleep in my care because of a ritual a parent created at home.
Ariana 02:33 PM 12-09-2015
I have parents show up with lots of gimmicks to get their kids to sleep and I just smile and nod and then I do what I feel is best for the kid. They chose me as their provider and they need to trust that I know what I am doing and I have their child's best interest in mind. I don't lie to parents at all, if they ask I simply say "No i didn't use it"...but they rarely ask. Once the child is transitioned to the way it is done in my home they end up sleeping WAY better here than they do at home. Every child. Every time.

I am a parent and I know what it's like to jump through hoops to get your child to go to sleep and if you choose that in your home then that is up to you. At my home I do what I feel is right.
nannyde 03:05 PM 12-09-2015
You may know your baby better than I do the day I meet your baby but within a couple of days I will know your baby better than you do.

I have three plus decades of caring for babies. Within a few hours I could tell you precisely where your child is developmentally. I could tell you what you are doing to net xy and z. I could tell you what he or she will do in a week, two weeks, next day even. I could accurately predict what you do at home with the baby that you think I couldn't possibly know.

Having a baby doesn't net you knowledge of that baby that would even touch the surface of what an experienced provider knows within minutes, hours, days or weeks.

I call your thinking "I know my baby best and I know what's best for my baby." You have been sold that bill of goods by those with something to sell. It's not true.

In order to know baby best you have to take care of a ton of babies.

Think of it like this... when you go to the doctors do you believe that because the baby has your dna and you gave birth to the baby that you know the baby's heart better than your pediatrician? Do you know his neuro development better? Do you know his bowel sounds or lung sounds better?

You don't. The pediatrician can spend two minutes and know more than you do about your kids health. That's what he's trained and experienced to be to you and your baby.

It's the same in child care.

Here's why....

Babies are WAY WAY WAY more alike each other than different. They progress in a linear way doing basically the same things in the same sequence at approximately the same time. Us experienced providers have seen OVER AND OVER what your baby does with his hands, toes, breath, suck etc.

Now every baby has their own flava flave where they show you their two three percent difference than the ones who came before. That's fun for the provider. That really small difference is what makes baby unique to us. That little difference you most likely haven't even noticed.

It isn't personal. You are hard wired to believe, as a mother, you know best. We know that about you.

Most often you know a eeensey weeensey fraction of what we know about your kid. Our job is to endure your false notion and try to weave it seamlessly into what we do with your kid.

It's funny that in generations past... mothers weren't so confident. They weren't surrounded by a culture that sold them the notions you have. They were surrounded by generations of women who wouldn't try to make money off them but rather there to teach them and pass down their multigenerational knowledge.
Unregistered 07:08 AM 12-10-2015
We also use the Magic Sleepsuit, it was designed by a pediatric physical therapist for her own children since after the swaddle they would not sleep. It does look bulky but the design with the open hands and feet allow a babies heat to dissipate when they sleep. My daycare loves the Magic Sleepsuit for babies who can no longer be swaddled because it allows babies a little more freedom of movement while they sleep but the fabric layers make them feel cozy and secure. My daycare had licensing review the Sleepsuit and they approved and even now recommend it to all their parents with babies that are my daughters age. Shame on any of you who would lie to the parents no matter how many years experience you have. Give the parents the option to go elsewhere if you do not want to do what they ask.
Play Care 09:33 AM 12-10-2015
We also use the Magic Sleepsuit, it was designed by a pediatric physical therapist for her own children since after the swaddle they would not sleep. It does look bulky but the design with the open hands and feet allow a babies heat to dissipate when they sleep. My daycare loves the Magic Sleepsuit for babies who can no longer be swaddled because it allows babies a little more freedom of movement while they sleep but the fabric layers make them feel cozy and secure. My daycare had licensing review the Sleepsuit and they approved and even now recommend it to all their parents with babies that are my daughters age. Shame on any of you who would lie to the parents no matter how many years experience you have. Give the parents the option to go elsewhere if you do not want to do what they ask.
Parents always have the option to go elsewhere. They don't need permission from the day care.

But just because licensing in your area approved it doesn't mean all licensing will. In fact the OP was told flat out by her licensing agent that it was NOT recommended, so no "lying" necessary. And just because the one licensor approved it at your current center to means nothing - the next licensing agent can say NO, and the center or provider legally has to abide by that. In fact in some states swaddling isn't allowed at all, even if using the special brand designed for swaddling.

At the end of the day the STATE is in charge, like it or not.
LysesKids 11:25 AM 12-10-2015
First off childcare providers do not work for you, we own our small businesses and run them as we see best for the entire group out of our HOMES and according to state law - I am not your private Nanny or an employee of any family either. I do not allow parents tell me how to run MY BUSINESS or do my job because they think their way is better; I offer a service just like to tire store down the road... you don't like my policies you are free to go elsewhere. As was said before - in the end, a licensing agent can say yah or nay to something one minute and 6 months later it's just the opposite. Rules are changing all the time.

BTW, I have 34 years of experience raising children and the last 15 of it has been professional; 10 of these have been infants only so i pretty well know what will work or won't when it comes to soothing a child/getting them to nap and I never have used a Magic suit
Tags:magic sleep suit, sleep - solutions
Reply Up