Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default How Often Do Your Daycare Children Get Sick?

Just wanted to know what is typical for babies 0-2 to get sick and stay home a year? I find myself going overboard and explaining that I will bleach from top to bottom everytime one of parents tells me their baby has the sniffles. I have a newer home that is extremely clean and get very offended by this parent regularly. Now, I’m going to start saying, “oh he has the sniffles?! Oh no! Maybe he needs to stay home so he does not get the others sick!!!”
Old 12-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core12 View Post
Just wanted to know what is typical for babies 0-2 to get sick and stay home a year? I find myself going overboard and explaining that I will bleach from top to bottom everytime one of parents tells me their baby has the sniffles. I have a newer home that is extremely clean and get very offended by this parent regularly. Now, I’m going to start saying, “oh he has the sniffles?! Oh no! Maybe he needs to stay home so he does not get the others sick!!!”
I have a kid 17 months who I would bet money has gone less than 50 days of his life without a runny nose. If I excluded fit just that he would never be here.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
That is by far THE best way to deal with those types of parents. Play right into their issues.

"Oh, DCM he 'looks' as though he doesn't feel well. You better keep him home tomorrow so he doesn't spread it to anyone else. "

If they (parents) want to make a big deal out of everything little sniffle and think it's other DCKs that get their kid sick, they have to be willing to be on the other side of the issue too... their kid can get others sick too.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Daycare.com Member

half my class has the sniffles, runny nose ect . I just spend forever running around with sanitizer! had one stay home last week for a diaper rash!
Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Sick children

Hey everyone. Please go to your local Home Depot and buy Odorband regular scent. Some people are allergic to lavender. It cost round 10$. I guarantee sickness will be rare. Bleach is still use like in toilets but when you read everything odorband kills, you will use it everywhere. Let's not forget how lovely it smells. You have to be so careful with bleach. I Know license like use to use bleach, use bleach but I would not use much. The Odorband will take care of the germs. I do not have that problem at all in my daycare 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗😁😁
Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getnsmart View Post
Hey everyone. Please go to your local Home Depot and buy Odorband regular scent. Some people are allergic to lavender. It cost round 10$. I guarantee sickness will be rare. Bleach is still use like in toilets but when you read everything odorband kills, you will use it everywhere. Let's not forget how lovely it smells. You have to be so careful with bleach. I Know license like use to use bleach, use bleach but I would not use much. The Odorband will take care of the germs. I do not have that problem at all in my daycare ��������������
I use Odoban. It comes in many scents other than regular and lavendar. It also comes in many different styles...

http://www.odoban.com/

It helps with illness and germs just like any other similar disinfectant product like Lysol etc. and although I love Odoban for many uses I wouldn't guarantee that it's any better than any other product. Although the scents they offer are nice!

I like citrus myself...

Last edited by Blackcat31; 12-11-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

How often are you outside? Eating healthy food?

I don't oversanitize. Yep, my kids get the sniffles, but we don't have any major 'spreads' of illness. I clean the tables and it's not dirty but OVER sanitizing is proven to make kids less resilient anyway.

Lots of fresh air in all weather, lots of good healthy food, teaching them to use their elbows, wash hands, etc. Does work better than any other cleaning regimen, imho.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:53 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Sick children

Who cares, this is not a debate on which better. If you are nasty, nothing will work. People on the forum ask for advice. They are free to use or not. I believe that Odorband will help make their situation alot easier. By the way Odorband does a whole lot more than some Lysol.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:01 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I understand "daycare diva" but eventho children wash hands, you still have to make sure their surrounding or environment is clean. You can't be too clean when keeping parents children. You don't know what coming from the parents home. The parents could be good and nasty.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Who cares, this is not a debate on which better. If you are nasty, nothing will work. People on the forum ask for advice. They are free to use or not. I believe that Odorband will help make their situation alot easier. By the way Odorband does a whole lot more than some Lysol.
Um, okay... no need to be rude.

I hope your day gets better!

Peace out! ✌️
Old 12-11-2017, 09:00 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Blackcat I'm appalled at you. As forward texting you are. I'm reaching out to the ones that want to overcome the sickness in their daycare. I believe it will help. I been in daycare since I was 20. I'm 40 now. I try new things all the times. Some things suck some are better. But always striving for excellence. I'm in childcare and I have a backbone. And I stay full.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I understand "daycare diva" but eventho children wash hands, you still have to make sure their surrounding or environment is clean. You can't be too clean when keeping parents children. You don't know what coming from the parents home. The parents could be good and nasty.
Quote:

Oh good grief lady. I wasn't even responding to you, I was replying to the original poster. My home is spotless, and licensing even comments on it. BUT- protecting children from germs/over sanitizing their environment is proven to have the opposite effect. Exposure to germs is HEALTHY for children to better strengthen their immune systems. It's also statistically proven that children in childcare get sick more than children not in childcare. Nothing PERSONAL against you. I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond so rudely to me when I wasn't even addressing you?

I hope you're teaching the children in your care more appropriate social responses.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/i...yes-f1C6345427

and YES, you CAN be TOO CLEAN.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Blackcat I'm appalled at you. As forward texting you are. I'm reaching out to the ones that want to overcome the sickness in their daycare. I believe it will help. I been in daycare since I was 20. I'm 40 now. I try new things all the times. Some things suck some are better. But always striving for excellence. I'm in childcare and I have a backbone. And I stay full.
You are appalled at me

Again, okaaaaaay....
Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Too sensitive. Good luck
Old 12-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I am 100% confident it all about healthy eating and getting good sleep. I just had a family leave my care who had two boys that were constantly sick. One of the boys had 3 ear infections since February. In my 7 year career as a home provider I had sent a child home once with a fever but these kids were sent home multuple times each!! It was crazy! Now that they are gone everyone has been healthy and not one missed day . My cleaning habits have not changed at all.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Too sensitive. Good luck
WE are too sensitive? But YOU are the one who assumed my post was in reference to yours and became hostile.

FYI- I'M FULL TOO.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Daycare.com Member

Well, this conversation has been entertaining While I generally use bleach to keep all things clean, my sons were raised in the same environment and one stays well and one will catch every bug around. Like another poster, I think eating right and sleep helps the most which falls back on the parents. My youngest has never been a good eater..very picky. He is better about staying well after getting his tonsils out but still doesn't have the best immune??? Just interjecting some thoughts in the lively conversation from personal experience.