Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Old 07-01-2011, 03:24 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Question Sensory Bin ?

For Aug I am doing a back to school/All about me unit (theme). I have really gotten into the sensory tub/bin so have the DCK! Does any one have any ideas on what to put in the tub? I can figure out the filler just not sure what items to choose. I had originally thought of "school supplies"

Thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Alphabets, numbers, mini (Barbie size) desks, mini crayons and pencils, tiny tins for lunchpails, mini bus, little dolls (teacher)..........
Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Hmm, seems like a hard one to make a sensory bin out of. A small chalkboard and sticks of chalk is one thing that comes to mind. Mini school bus (like a die cast one).

You could just do a color bin, like "yellow" or something. Sensory bins don't always have to relate 100% to the theme. Counting Coconuts
has a lot of fantastic sensory tub ideas!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

You could fill the sensory bin with rice. And make each childs name on a nambe tag, lamenate it and bury it in the rice and they have dig out their names.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

adding to auntie's idea....also include laminated photos of each child.....bury them in the sensory table, along with the names....help the children match their name to their photo....
Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Thank you for your ideas! Yes it is a tricky one. So your ideas along with some Internet browsing gave me an idea.... School supplies so simple right?! I only have one dck so I can't really do the name tag thing. My own son will be heading back to school and my daughter is still to young to fully participate in everything we do. I think my dck will like it too. Pencils, erasers, ruler, crayons and paper (maybe kid scissors). I will try to remember to post how it works out. Thanks again for your ideas! :-)
Old 08-08-2011, 07:56 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Hello so I put the bin together last week so today starts week 2. My 8 year old really enjoyed the bin... So much he used up everything I had in there! :-). I replenished everything and told him this is just for the dck this time.. Pout pout... So far my dck has cut, glued, used the ruler to make straight lines and also used the writing paper and pencil to "write"! I love that he will already feel comfortable with school supplies by the time he starts kindergarten!! I think that next time I'm going to do more a of scavenger hunt. Place school supplies in the bin and cover with rice. They will use pictures to find each item. I'm still trying to figure out how post a picture with a reply to show how it looks.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Unregistered

Default another idea

I know this is a little late, but I was looking for sensory bin ideas for an All About Me theme and just found your post. I am going to put laminated pictures of the kiddos, small hand-held mirrors, and magnet letters for the first letter of their names in the bin for my class.

Tags
sensory material, themes