Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Sad, And Scary....
Crystal 07:49 AM 09-26-2011
This was in the paper yesterday. I happen to know this provider and conducted her FCCERS a couple of years ago. I cannot believe how she reacted in this situation and am deeply saddened for all involved:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/25/393...-provider.html
NiNi.R. 08:18 AM 09-26-2011
Oh I teared up reading this. That is just sickening. That poor poor family
sharlan 08:24 AM 09-26-2011
My heart goes out to the family that lost their child. No one should ever have to bury their child.
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 09-26-2011
That was an awful story. I can't believe she conscientiously thought to simply lay the baby down elsewhere when she already knew he was unresponsive! That decision was the different between intentional and unintentional death!! WOW!!

I understand the panic she must have felt but she should also have known that the rules we have in place (ie. no sleeping in carseats) are in place for specific reasons.

How heartbreaking for everyone involved.
sharlan 08:33 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That was an awful story. I can't believe she conscientiously thought to simply lay the baby down elsewhere when she already knew he was unresponsive! That decision was the different between intentional and unintentional death!! WOW!!

I understand the panic she must have felt but she should also have known that the rules we have in place (ie. no sleeping in carseats) are in place for specific reasons.

How heartbreaking for everyone involved.
OT - My daughter was told by her OB and PEDI to NEVER allow her son to be in a carseat unless he was in the car. She was also told to never use the carset with a stroller. He had breathing issues at birth and both drs said that being curled up in a carseat puts pressure on the lungs.
Crystal 08:39 AM 09-26-2011
In Cali if you are licensed for 14 you are not EVER allowed to use the upstairs, for any child. I don't understand WHY the infant was upstairs....she actually had the entire downstairs dedicated space for daycare WITH a bedroom set up as a nursery with three cribs. I don't know why she would place the infant upstairs.

I am sick.
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
In Cali if you are licensed for 14 you are not EVER allowed to use the upstairs, for any child. I don't understand WHY the infant was upstairs....she actually had the entire downstairs dedicated space for daycare WITH a bedroom set up as a nursery with three cribs. I don't know why she would place the infant upstairs.

I am sick.
My initial thought was she had the baby in his carseat in the downstairs area but didn't notice he was unresponsive until she actually touched him or check on him. I would venture to guess that she then placed him upstairs (already knowing he was unresponsive) thinking that being in trouble for using the upstairs was better than leaving him in his carseat and being responsible for causing his death by leaving him in his carseat. Putting him upstairs was an easy way for her to act as though it was SIDS and was not related to anything she directly did or didn't do.

Of course I am only speculating but I am guessing that she thought it would cover up the fact that she left him in his carseat and the lesser of two evils would be using the upstairs vs the carseat. Being upstairs would not have caused his breathing difficulties/death while the carseat did.....kwim?
Holladee 09:48 AM 09-26-2011
That poor, poor family. How devastating.

The comments on that article are making me sick. I quit reading after the first few basically saying parents were responsible. "Why would they go through fertility treatments just to dump the kid at a daycare?" Seriously? We're going to blame the parents here?

I cannot even begine to imagine. I pray I never have to.
nannyde 10:43 AM 09-26-2011
Crystal why do you think her only consequence is to not be able to do child care?

It sounds like they didn't find abuse in the autopsy. Sounds like it may have been a positional asphyxia death.
Crystal 11:07 AM 09-26-2011
I certainly don't suspect abuse. It sounds like positional asphyxia to me as well. Sheila was a great provider, not for one second have I thought she abused the child. I think this was a case of extremely poor judgement and panic/shock. That doesn't negate her responbsibility to call though and I am beside myself trying to figure out WHY she didn't call. She may have saved his life and her livelihood at the same time.

They haven't ruled out charges yet.....it is still possible that she will be charged for failure to call 911 and for lying to the police. I would expect a civil suit against her as well.
Hunni Bee 04:51 PM 09-26-2011
...letting one child wander away from the home and having sex in front of at least one child in her care...

That is despicable. And these were ongoing things before the baby died. What made her be able to go to sleep at night and get up and watch these people's children again and again?
daycare 05:38 PM 09-26-2011
If this women did those things mentioned in the article, or was acused of those things then how in the world did she get provider of the year??? Maybe getting the award went to her head and she got lazy...UGH

so sad for this family and I do feel for the provider as well. We never know what could happen day to day and how we will respond. When in shock people don't make the best of judgment calls....Still it's no excuse, just saying...

thanks for sharing this story
countrymom 06:11 PM 09-26-2011
some of the things don't make sense. Like how do they know about the medication being left out or her sex thing or letting the kid wonder. Who said those things and why weren't they ever brought up before.
nannyde 06:39 AM 09-27-2011
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/25/393...#disqus_thread

A grieving mother doesn't need strangers to lecture. The story doesn't state: that was Avin's 2nd "week" at daycare, after his mom took as much time off as income would allow. Between her schedule and her husband's schedule, Avin was in daycare 3 hours a day, twice a week. Mr. Rominger had 4 10 hour work days, Mrs. Rominger got two weekdays off (worked weekends). She worked 1:30-10:00pm. He worked 6am to 4pm. They arranged their schedules so the kids would not spend in full time daycare. The day in question: dropped off by his mom at 1:15, dad arrived at 4:15 to pick up. Three short hours. Life lost within three hours. Horrible. But Sheila didn't cause Avin's death, much as the people want someone to blame.

This is in the comment section but it makes it a little bit more suspicious.

If this is correct he would have had only a few hours in day care total.

I'm wondering if there is a chance she actually laid him down on his belly to sleep and did the stall to call 911 because she knew she had to reposition him to show that he WASN'T in the face down position. It would take TIME and gravity to have his blood pooling change.

The high incidence of SIDS in child care is in part because providers put babies who have never been on their belly on their belly to muffle the crying and to wear them out. This happens often on the first day of child care. Because this kid was so part time and had only had a few hours of time total in child care he may have had what was equivallent to one full day of day care when this happened.
Crystal 07:57 AM 09-27-2011
I am wondering where her assistant was when this happened. Unless she had several out that day, her assistant should have been there.
Country Kids 08:00 AM 09-27-2011
Going out on a limb here but is it possible that the baby passed away on the way over to the childcare? If the dad just put baby down and left he wouldn't have known then when the provider foiund him she panicked? If the child was in childcare for such a little amount of time how come the article sounds like this was on going for hours? Something just doesn't sound right.
Crystal 08:20 AM 09-27-2011
I am taking the comments on the article with a grain of salt....we have no idea who is posting that info, how they know, etc.

No, I don't think baby was dead before he was dropped off.....even so, the provider was negligent when she failed to remove him from the carseat IMMEDIATELY upon arrival. Had there been an issue prior to arrival it would have been discovered at that time.

A few things re. negligence and why she might (shoul?) face criminal charges:

baby was not removed from carseat upon arrival
baby was placed upstairs, which is against regs
baby was not provided CPR and no call to 911 was made when it was discovered that he was non-responsive
baby was moved from carseat to bed when it was discovered he was non-responsive
there was not a second caregiver present....if there were more than 8 children in care, there should have been a 2nd provider
provider did not inform licensing of the event
renodeb 09:39 AM 09-27-2011
My heart breaks for that family. That provider handled everything wrong. If 911 would have been called maybe that dear baby would hav e had a chance. Very sad.
renodeb 09:42 AM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Going out on a limb here but is it possible that the baby passed away on the way over to the childcare? If the dad just put baby down and left he wouldn't have known then when the provider foiund him she panicked? If the child was in childcare for such a little amount of time how come the article sounds like this was on going for hours? Something just doesn't sound right.
Either way she handled it poorly, in Nevada we are required to take the baby out of there car seat and put them in an appropriate crib. She handled it all wrong (IMO). Your right though! Something aint stirring the koolaide!
renodeb 09:48 AM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

A grieving mother doesn't need strangers to lecture. The story doesn't state: that was Avin's 2nd "week" at daycare, after his mom took as much time off as income would allow. Between her schedule and her husband's schedule, Avin was in daycare 3 hours a day, twice a week. Mr. Rominger had 4 10 hour work days, Mrs. Rominger got two weekdays off (worked weekends). She worked 1:30-10:00pm. He worked 6am to 4pm. They arranged their schedules so the kids would not spend in full time daycare. The day in question: dropped off by his mom at 1:15, dad arrived at 4:15 to pick up. Three short hours. Life lost within three hours. Horrible. But Sheila didn't cause Avin's death, much as the people want someone to blame.

This is in the comment section but it makes it a little bit more suspicious.

If this is correct he would have had only a few hours in day care total.

I'm wondering if there is a chance she actually laid him down on his belly to sleep and did the stall to call 911 because she knew she had to reposition him to show that he WASN'T in the face down position. It would take TIME and gravity to have his blood pooling change.

The high incidence of SIDS in child care is in part because providers put babies who have never been on their belly on their belly to muffle the crying and to wear them out. This happens often on the first day of child care. Because this kid was so part time and had only had a few hours of time total in child care he may have had what was equivallent to one full day of day care when this happened.
Well either way you slice it she should of called 911 and atleast given him the chance to live. And moving him so she looked less guilty hhhmmm. It was poorly handled no matter how you look at it. Lots of stuff does not add up.
countrymom 09:49 AM 09-27-2011
I don't know something just doesn't add up. If he was in care for only 3 hours, he had to have died right away, so I wonder if it could have been shaken baby syndrome. Think about it, dad drops him off, and he dies sunddenly. The blood from the nose makes me think that there was bleeding in the brain. Also, unless i missed it, was the baby sleeping when he arrived.
Jewels 11:07 AM 09-27-2011
I'm just very sorry for the family and everyone involved, A child lost their life way to early, and its just so so sad. No matter how it happened, it did happen, and its horrible.
nannyde 11:22 AM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by renodeb:
Either way she handled it poorly, in Nevada we are required to take the baby out of there car seat and put them in an appropriate crib. She handled it all wrong (IMO). Your right though! Something aint stirring the koolaide!
I don't allow car seats in the house. That solves the sleeping baby issue. All kids have to come to day care AWAKE every day.
MommyMuffin 11:47 AM 09-27-2011
[quote=nannyde;148676]http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/25/393...#disqus_thread

Cant figure out the quote thing...but Nannyde...you said: (The high incidence of SIDS in child care is in part because providers put babies who have never been on their belly on their belly to muffle the crying and to wear them out. )

WHAT!!?? People really do that? That makes me want to cry. I dont think I will ever bring my infant to daycare because that image haunts me. Nanny where did you hear of providers doing that? Scary!!
laundrymom 11:52 AM 09-27-2011
[quote=MommyMuffin;148850]

The high incidence of SIDS in child care is in part because providers put babies who have never been on their belly on their belly to muffle the crying and to wear them out. QUOTE]

WHAT!!?? People really do that? That makes me want to cry. I dont think I will ever bring my infant to daycare because that image haunts me. Nanny where did you hear of providers doing that? Scary!!
Mommy, not everyone. But I've heard of it too. Just one more reason to be an advocate for safe sleep practices. It's probably the thing I am most passionate about. Babies sleep better swaddled on their sides or tummies. However, it's not safe. Remember when putting baby to sleep put only two things in the bed. Baby, and your love.
MommyMuffin 11:59 AM 09-27-2011
[quote=laundrymom;148855]
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Mommy, not everyone. But I've heard of it too. Just one more reason to be an advocate for safe sleep practices. It's probably the thing I am most passionate about. Babies sleep better swaddled on their sides or tummies. However, it's not safe. Remember when putting baby to sleep put only two things in the bed. Baby, and your love.
Baby and your love! That is so sweet! I'm gonna go do another safety check on my little ones..especially after reading this!
nannyde 12:10 PM 09-27-2011
[quote=MommyMuffin;148850]

Cant figure out the quote thing...but Nannyde...you said: (The high incidence of SIDS in child care is in part because providers put babies who have never been on their belly on their belly to muffle the crying and to wear them out. )

http://www.sidsma.org/professionals/...thpictures.pdf
Crystal 12:51 PM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I don't know something just doesn't add up. If he was in care for only 3 hours, he had to have died right away, so I wonder if it could have been shaken baby syndrome. Think about it, dad drops him off, and he dies sunddenly. The blood from the nose makes me think that there was bleeding in the brain. Also, unless i missed it, was the baby sleeping when he arrived.
I don't think it was shaken baby. They did a complete autopsy and found no evidence of shaken baby, which is likely the first thing they were looking for.

Regardless though, the provider should have given him those two rescue breaths and called 911 the second she found him not breathing. There may have been a chance, albeit a small one, that he could have survuved.
nannyde 01:45 PM 09-27-2011
I don't think it was shaken baby. They did a complete autopsy and found no evidence of shaken baby, which is likely the first thing they were looking for.

Regardless though, the provider should have given him those two rescue breaths and called 911 the second she found him not breathing. There may have been a chance, albeit a small one, that he could have survuved.
My guess is that she either had him unsupervised in a seat, face down, or unsupervised completely. She had to have been covering something up.

She moved him so that says to me that the position he was in was illegal.

The positional asphyxia is one theory BUT I don't know the ages for this. The whole idea of it is that they are strong enough to jut their head either forward, to the left and then down or to the right and then down. At two months... even with the slightest amount of angle in the seat.. it would take a pretty fiesty two month old to jut it's head forward. The angle of the seat would have to be really close to 90 degrees... I would think

Now if she layed him belly down... that would make sense. EVERYBODY knows not to do that.
mom2many 01:58 PM 09-27-2011
This is such a horrible tragedy and my heart goes out to this little boy's family. Something just doesn't add up with this...I agree with pps that she isn't being honest about what really happened and it does seem like she was trying to cover up something she did or didn't do. I just cannot imagine how she could not call 911 and start CPR.
Crystal 02:04 PM 09-27-2011
She stated that she intially lied because she was afraid of getting in trouble with licensing for having the child upstairs. And, she would have, but it would have been a hell of alot less trouble than she is in now. He was definitely unsupervised while upstairs, as she had the rest of the group downstairs. With a large FCC license upstairs can NEVER be used, even if the children are supervised....she was worried that she would face a penalty for having him upstairs....but she still left him there rather than move him downstairs.

The story also states that she made several calls after finding him, but none were to 911.....I wonder who she called and if they knew what was up and also failed to call 911.....
Crystal 02:11 PM 09-27-2011
I'm also thinking the child was there more hours than what a comment on the article said....someone posted he was only there from 1:15-4:15, but WHO said that and how do they know?The article says that Shiela acommodated the parents work schedule by allowing them to drop their children off early every day.....so I am thinking he was there for several hours.
mom2many 02:18 PM 09-27-2011
She stated that she intially lied because she was afraid of getting in trouble with licensing for having the child upstairs. And, she would have, but it would have been a hell of alot less trouble than she is in now. He was definitely unsupervised while upstairs, as she had the rest of the group downstairs. With a large FCC license upstairs can NEVER be used, even if the children are supervised....she was worried that she would face a penalty for having him upstairs....but she still left him there rather than move him downstairs.

The story also states that she made several calls after finding him, but none were to 911.....I wonder who she called and if they knew what was up and also failed to call 911.....
This is so crazy...what was she thinking. It makes no sense why she'd even use the upstairs, her house was huge and it was stated she had a designated nursery too. Newborns are usually very sound sleepers and I have always kept little ones this age out in my living room area, right smack in the midst of it all, so I can keep a constant eye on them and never in a back room. I just don't get why she left him up there either

I also don't get how she could make phone calls and not be frantic and call 911 immediately. Then to act like nothing was wrong when dad showed up is totally beyond my comprehension...
justgettingstarted 03:31 PM 09-27-2011
This post gave me chills. I live in this area and saw her daycare items on CL, I wondered how an in-home daycare could have such expensive, high end stuff and why they would be closing...now I know. So sad and so scary. Its hard to imagine that in this situation her first thought would be how to keep herself from getting into trouble. I'd like to think that that would not even be on my radar but I guess you can't know until you experience it. I am so sad for the parents I could cry.

Just to throw this out there, the sacbee is notorious for shotty journalism and badly written articles. So, if something isn't adding up it could very well be the writing.
nannyde 04:21 PM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by thinkinboutstarting:
This post gave me chills. I live in this area and saw her daycare items on CL, I wondered how an in-home daycare could have such expensive, high end stuff and why they would be closing...now I know. So sad and so scary. Its hard to imagine that in this situation her first thought would be how to keep herself from getting into trouble. I'd like to think that that would not even be on my radar but I guess you can't know until you experience it. I am so sad for the parents I could cry.

Just to throw this out there, the sacbee is notorious for shotty journalism and badly written articles. So, if something isn't adding up it could very well be the writing.
You have a link to the craigslist ad? I would love to see the toys.
nannyde 04:43 PM 09-27-2011

I dunno

I think when people are caught they admit to the least possible case scenario. Even though your state doesn't allow upstairs... the truth is that a baby being upstairs isn't intrinsically dangerous. The reasoning for it is for fire which there is a one in a hundreds of thousands of chance of happening.

I'm NOT saying to put kids upstairs. I'm saying that millions of babies sleep upstairs at home and there are no real life regulations for that. It's based on the group of kids and the age... not that being upstairs is in and of itself life threatening.

Having a baby sleep on their belly... no matter where the child is... no matter who the adult is caring for them... no matter WHAT that is dangerous and life threatening to the baby. It's especially dangerous if that baby has never had belly time.
Crystal 11:20 AM 10-28-2011
There has been an update to this story. The provider has been arrested and is being charged with felony child neglect. She faces up to 8 years in prison:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/28/401...to-arrest.html
nannyde 11:43 AM 10-28-2011
My guess is that she either had him unsupervised in a seat, face down, or unsupervised completely. She had to have been covering something up.

She moved him so that says to me that the position he was in was illegal.

The positional asphyxia is one theory BUT I don't know the ages for this. The whole idea of it is that they are strong enough to jut their head either forward, to the left and then down or to the right and then down. At two months... even with the slightest amount of angle in the seat.. it would take a pretty fiesty two month old to jut it's head forward. The angle of the seat would have to be really close to 90 degrees... I would think

Now if she layed him belly down... that would make sense. EVERYBODY knows not to do that.

But Caceres initially told a detective she found Avin unresponsive in a downstairs crib. Later, she amended her version, telling Detective Darin Pometta that she left Avin sleeping upstairs in a car seat and sometime that afternoon found him unresponsive.

She said she picked him up, then placed him on his side in a portable playpen, rubbed his back and went downstairs until Dave Rominger arrived,
sharlan 11:44 AM 10-28-2011
I wonder if the outcome for her would have been better had she told the truth from the beginning.......

Sad situation for all involved.
sharlan 11:45 AM 10-28-2011
But Caceres initially told a detective she found Avin unresponsive in a downstairs crib. Later, she amended her version, telling Detective Darin Pometta that she left Avin sleeping upstairs in a car seat and sometime that afternoon found him unresponsive.

She said she picked him up, then placed him on his side in a portable playpen, rubbed his back and went downstairs until Dave Rominger arrived,
How can anyone do that?

SIDS was always my greatest fear as a provider. I refused to take babies under 1 yr for many years.
Crystal 11:49 AM 10-28-2011
Sharlan....It might have been a little better for her had she told the truth, but in all honesty, she deserves to be punished for failing to act when she found him unresponsive. She didn't attempt CPR, call 911, NOTHING.....oh, wait, she did make numerous other phone calls after finding him, but she was apparently not of the state of mind to dial 911.

I understand panciking....but I don't think that is what happened.....I think she was buying time trying to come up with an excuse, and then acted as if she was completely unaware when Dad arrived in hopes that she wouldn't be found negligent.
Crystal 11:52 AM 10-28-2011

Yes, that was in the original story. I am almost certain this was caused by positional asphyxia.....I googled that and there are SO many stories in which infants under 3 months have died in their carseats.....
cheerfuldom 11:57 AM 10-28-2011
who knows that what she said in either response is the actually truth....very very sad situation
Blackcat31 12:03 PM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
How can anyone do that?

SIDS was always my greatest fear as a provider. I refused to take babies under 1 yr for many years.
I won't take any under 8 months right now for those reasons. Although I am aware SIDS can happen after 8 months, the likelihood is considerably less.

Yes, that was in the original story. I am almost certain this was caused by positional asphyxia.....I googled that and there are SO many stories in which infants under 3 months have died in their carseats.....
Another reason to NOT allow car seats to even be left on the premesis. Removes any liability about them being used.

SAD. VERY SAD.
Cat Herder 12:03 PM 10-28-2011
The worst part is that there are providers out there right now who have infants asleep in swings and carseats because "That is the ONLY way they will sleep".

"No Cry" care (both at home and in childcare) is killing babies.

This won't be the last time we hear a story like this.
sharlan 12:04 PM 10-28-2011
I can totally understand panicing when she found the baby unresponsive, she knew she did wrong. I would probably panic all the way to the phone to call 911.

In no way do I justify what she did. How does any sane human being find an unresponsive child, move the child, pat it on the back, and walk away? IMHO, she compounded the problem when she LIED. (Remember I am OCD about lying.)

I never knew of positional asphyxia until my grandson was born.
Crystal 12:15 PM 10-28-2011
I agree she compounded the problem when she lied. I imagine that they are really going to try to stick it to her for that. It is an additional charge against her, and so is placing babies upstairs to sleep which is against licensing regs and fire code.

I understand that she probably had a crier that she didn't want to listen to. What I don't understand is leaving him in the carseat. We take 15 hours of health and safety training in Ca. and positional asphyxia is well covered......

I also don't undertsand how she could sit there with a dead infant lying upstairs for hours....like it hadn't even happened....WHO DOES THAT??????
sharlan 12:20 PM 10-28-2011
I agree she compounded the problem when she lied. I imagine that they are really going to try to stick it to her for that. It is an additional charge against her, and so is placing babies upstairs to sleep which is against licensing regs and fire code.

I understand that she probably had a crier that she didn't want to listen to. What I don't understand is leaving him in the carseat. We take 15 hours of health and safety training in Ca. and positional asphyxia is well covered......I also don't undertsand how she could sit there with a dead infant lying upstairs for hours....like it hadn't even happened....WHO DOES THAT??????
No it's not. Nothing was ever said in either one of the classes that I took. My daughter took both classes with me and she said the same thing. The person who did our training 1 1/2 yrs ago had no idea what she was talking about most of the time. My daughter corrected her on several issues.
Crystal 12:26 PM 10-28-2011
No it's not. Nothing was ever said in either one of the classes that I took. My daughter took both classes with me and she said the same thing. The person who did our training 1 1/2 yrs ago had no idea what she was talking about most of the time. My daughter corrected her on several issues.
It is here. One of the first things we covered was SIDS, SUIDS and risks of sleeping in equipment of any type, proper use of cribs with no bedding other than fitted sheets. I suppose it depends on the trainer....but every provider I know in our area (and I know many) recieved this training before becoming licensed.
nannyde 12:29 PM 10-28-2011

I understand that she probably had a crier that she didn't want to listen to. What I don't understand is leaving him in the carseat. We take 15 hours of health and safety training in Ca. and positional asphyxia is well covered......

I also don't undertsand how she could sit there with a dead infant lying upstairs for hours....like it hadn't even happened....WHO DOES THAT??????
I don't think it's covered well in Iowa. In fact... I think that safety training that is NOT thru red cross or american heart or Iowa public health dept is kind of scarce...........

I don't know that for SURE so don't quote me on it. But I've noticed over the years that safety training is harder to come by because... my theory... is that they don't want to endorse anything that could be used against them in the future.

They allow us to have 12 hours of online or book study for our registration every two years. They are picky about what companies they allow to do it because they have had too many deals where providers could go online and quickly get thru the twelve hours by using their computer savvy OR by doing it alongside of one of their friends and cheating with the answer sheet.

So they only allow programs that are not highly cheatable. I noticed the last time I looked at the few they allowed that weren't from the ones I stated above that the not "allowable" courses they crossed out were ALL safety classes.

I think everyone is afraid to do specific safety training that says what you CAN do. Saying you CAN'T do is a lot easier and less risky.

I've been working on a positional ashphxia blog and I'm half afraid to publish it. I'm fearful that someone will take my words and use it for bad instead of good.... to get OUT of care ... instead of give good care. I've done a ton of research on it and I think I could do a great article but even "I'm" afraid of publishing something like that. It's not possible to think of EVERY possible way someone can undo the good that you tell them to do.

I think that's the problem with safety classes in general. You can't dream up how someone can take one piece of your stuff and turn it into something that would actually hurt a kid.

Can you tell us where to get the training California does in their 15 hours? Is it written anywhere?
mismatchedsocks 12:30 PM 10-28-2011
What a sad story all around. I dont understand how one can not call 911 if she found infant unresponsive, regardless if she had baby upstairs. MOVE a dead baby, rub its back and walk out and carry on!?!?!? She obviously has some mental problems, and am glad that this is being pursued. Who knows what else she has let slide, and what is with the other charges?!?! sex in front of child? I dont see how she was provider of the year???
Crystal 12:39 PM 10-28-2011
I'm going to ask around and find out where other providers recieved their training. Unfortunately, the health/safety portion only has to be taken once prior to licensing (cpr/first aid is every two years) I did mine at the college, years ago.....I know they no longer offer the course. They even covered binky holders...ya know the little clippies that hold a binky fastened to the child's clothing.....they showed how that could get pulled across the child's windpipe and suffocate them......they were very thorough. I will do some research into what is being taught NOW in the classes available elsewhere.
Cat Herder 12:40 PM 10-28-2011
There are many videos and news stories of babies dying in swings/carseats on Youtube.

There are also lot's of training/psa videos about this topic available there for free.

WARNING: very sad/graphic and lots of photos/video of babies who died and the families they left behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRe3mPSoy7o
Crystal 12:44 PM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
What a sad story all around. I dont understand how one can not call 911 if she found infant unresponsive, regardless if she had baby upstairs. MOVE a dead baby, rub its back and walk out and carry on!?!?!? She obviously has some mental problems, and am glad that this is being pursued. Who knows what else she has let slide, and what is with the other charges?!?! sex in front of child? I dont see how she was provider of the year???
ahhh...the whole provider of the year thing is silly to me....it is based on the best written letter by a parent of the providers nominated- not by inspections, licensing records, etc. A selection panel who has likely never met the provider reads the letters submitted, then selects the best one. I don't think that qualifies anyone to be provider of the year.
sharlan 12:49 PM 10-28-2011
Not to take this off topic, but the last class I took, a lady came to my house. I agreed to have 5 other providers come here for their training. The lady didn't even have a VHS player to play the very outdated video. I had to bring one down from upstairs. She was more interested in selling her "goodies" at the end of the meeting. A 15yo who took basic health could have done a better job. I don't recall her discussing SIDS other than "back to sleep" and I know she never said a word about SUIDS. Today is the first I've heard of that.
Crystal 12:52 PM 10-28-2011
Not to take this off topic, but the last class I took, a lady came to my house. I agreed to have 5 other providers come here for their training. The lady didn't even have a VHS player to play the very outdated video. I had to bring one down from upstairs. She was more interested in selling her "goodies" at the end of the meeting. A 15yo who took basic health could have done a better job. I don't recall her discussing SIDS other than "back to sleep" and I know she never said a word about SUIDS. Today is the first I've heard of that.
Ahhh.....I didn't even know that was doable. Sounds like she really prepares her clients for saving lives, huh?

So, there is another issue with licensing standards......in some states there are NO standards at all, so providers wouldn't have even basic training, and in states like ours, there seems to be little oversight in WHO is doing the training and WHAT is being taught??? I wonder if this is a county/by county thing??? I have a list of local trainers.....I am going to call them and ask them if they train on this topic.
Michelle 12:57 PM 10-28-2011
I have learned more about health and safety from this site than I did from the classes I took when I was first licensed.
Even though I don't have to stay for the first aid class when I renew my CPR I always stay, hoping to learn more stuff. ( I don't)

I learned about positional asfixia here, also about not having blankets and padding in the cribs.. etc.
Also about keeping the doors locked and interviewing tips.. to keep the weird creepers away
sharlan 12:57 PM 10-28-2011
Ahhh.....I didn't even know that was doable. Sounds like she really prepares her clients for saving lives, huh?

So, there is another issue with licensing standards......in some states there are NO standards at all, so providers wouldn't have even basic training, and in states like ours, there seems to be little oversight in WHO is doing the training and WHAT is being taught??? I wonder if this is a county/by county thing??? I have a list of local trainers.....I am going to call them and ask them if they train on this topic.
CA's standards is no standards.
Country Kids 01:20 PM 10-28-2011
We have no type of safety training that is required except abuse and neglect. That is only required once when we become registered.
Crystal 01:54 PM 10-28-2011
another update:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...n-babys-death/
Crystal 01:57 PM 10-28-2011
"She told sheriff’s detectives she took the baby upstairs to sleep after he was crying downstairs. She initially told detectives that she put the baby in an upstairs crib but subsequently admitted that she left the baby asleep upstairs in a car seat.

She also admitted that she checked on Avin at about 4:30 p.m., found that he was not breathing and in a panic, then put Avin in the crib and left him.

According to the arrest affidavit, Caceres told detectives she noticed mucous coming from Avin’s mouth and “knew something was wrong with him but that she had never dealt with a baby not breathing before and just went into denial and moved him into the crib and left him.”

It WAS all about the crying!!!!!
Crystal 01:58 PM 10-28-2011
"Caceres also told detectives that she didn’t make any phone calls after finding Avin not breathing, but phone records showed she called her father, Bryan Ellis, her husband, Gonzalo Caceres, and her close friend, Jennifer Clinton. Records also show her father, Bryan Ellis, called his brother, Greg Ellis, at 4:12 p.m, and Greg Ellis admitted to detectives that his brother told him “that a baby was found unresponsive at Sheila Caceres’ residence,” according to the affidavit"

As I suspected, she made phone calls trying to figure out how to cover her butt..............I think these people that she called who failed to report should also be held ac****able!!!!
sharlan 02:05 PM 10-28-2011
"Caceres also told detectives that she didn’t make any phone calls after finding Avin not breathing, but phone records showed she called her father, Bryan Ellis, her husband, Gonzalo Caceres, and her close friend, Jennifer Clinton. Records also show her father, Bryan Ellis, called his brother, Greg Ellis, at 4:12 p.m, and Greg Ellis admitted to detectives that his brother told him “that a baby was found unresponsive at Sheila Caceres’ residence,” according to the affidavit"

As I suspected, she made phone calls trying to figure out how to cover her butt..............I think these people that she called who failed to report should also be held ac****able!!!!
I agree with you. An infant was dead or dying - how in the hell do you not respond immediately? My first call would have been to 911. The second would have been to the parents.
Crystal 02:55 PM 10-28-2011
State of Ca. EMSA training requirements/course content:

§ 100000.30. Required Course Content.
(a) The course content for pediatric first aid and CPR shall include instruction to result in
competence in the following topics and skills, which shall prepare personnel within the child care setting to recognize and treat the ill or injured child, as follows:
(1) Patient examination and injury assessment principles;
(2) Orientation and access to the emergency medical services system;
(3) Recognition and treatment of:
(A) Burns;
(B) Environmental exposure;
(C) Bleeding;
(D) Bites and stings (including human, animal, snake, insect and marine life);
(E) Fainting and seizures;
(F) Dental emergencies;
(G) Diabetic emergencies;
(H) Eye injuries and irritants;
(I) Head and neck injuries;
(J) Respiratory distress (including use of inhaled medications and nebulizers for children with lung diseases);
(K) Fractures and sprains;
(L) Exposure and response to toxic substances;
(M) Shock management; and
(N) Wounds (including cuts, bruises, scrapes, punctures, slivers, penetrating injuries from foreign objects, amputations and avulsions).
(4) Assembly and use of first aid kits and supplies;
(5) Understanding of standard precautions and personal safety in giving emergency care;
(6) First aid action plan within a group care setting (including classroom management while caring for an injured or ill child);
(7) Injury reporting;
(8) Reassuring parents and children in an emergency situation and;
(9) How to talk to young children about emergencies and instructing children in the emergency action plan.
(b) The course content for preventive health and safety training shall include instruction to result in competence in the following topics and skills, which shall prepare personnel to recognize, manage, and prevent infectious diseases and childhood injuries as follows:
(1) Prevention of Infectious Disease.
(A) Standard precautions.
1. Sanitation;
2. Hand washing; and
3. Use of gloves.
(B) Hygiene for children and care givers.
1. Hand washing; and
2. Diapering.
(C) Childhood immunizations; i.e., age and type requirements;
(D) Maintenance of health records and forms;
(E) Process for review of medical form information, including medication administration, allergies, immunizations, and health insurance; and
(F) Infectious disease policies.
1. Notices for exposure to disease;
2. Guidelines for the exclusion/inclusion of sick children;
3. Diseases that should be reported to local health agencies and to the child care facility children’s parents;
4. Guidelines for managing mildly ill children; and
5. Guidelines for staff health regarding potential risk of infectious diseases, including but not limited to cytomegalovirus (CMV) and Hepatitis B.
(G) Community Resources, to include information on local resources for services that deal with children’s health and the prevention of infectious disease shall be given to trainees by the training instructor.
(2) Child Injury Prevention
(A) Risk of injury related to developmental stages (i.e., falling, choking, head injuries);
(B) Establishing and adhering to safety policies in the child care setting;
(C) Procedures to reduce the risks of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and Shaken Baby Syndrome;
(D) Managing children’s risky behaviors that can lead to injury;
(E) Regular assessments for the safety of indoor and outdoor child care environments and play equipment; and
(F) Transportation of children during child care.
1. Motor vehicle safety;
2. Child passenger safety;
3. Field trip safety; and
4. School bus safety.
(G) Community resources, to include information on local resources for services that deal with children’s health and the prevention of childhood injuries shall be given to trainees by the training instructor.
(H) Child abuse resources, i.e., where to go in your community for help and information regarding child abuse.
(c) The course content for preventive health training may include instruction in the following:
(1) Children’s nutrition, i.e., age-appropriate meal planning to ensure nutritional requirements and the correct portions of food for monitoring children’s food intake.
(A) The food pyramid and how to apply it to children;
(B) Appropriate eating behaviors for children (i.e., snacking); and
(C) Specialized diets, including diet restrictions based upon medical needs. These medical needs include but are not limited to food allergies and diabetes.
(D) Awareness of feeding/growth problems such as failure-to-thrive.
(E) The connection between diet and dental decay in children.
(2) Environmental sanitation.
(A) Vector prevention;
(B) Kitchen cleanliness and sanitation practices;
(C) Toilet and diapering area sanitation.
(3) Air quality.
(A) Hazards of smoking (including, second hand smoke);
(B) Importance of keeping air filters clean;
(C) Importance of fresh air;
(D) Hazards of use of fireplaces; and
(E) The connection between allergens and children’s respiratory illnesses, and how to reduce airborne allergens.
(4) Food quality.
(A) Safe food practices;
(B) Safe food handling;
(C) Cooking safety;
(D) Preparing foods safely (i.e., washing produce; keeping raw meats and utensils used on raw meats away from cooked foods or foods that will be eaten raw; the importance of keeping cold foods cold, and hot foods hot);
(E) Safe storage of food (including prevention of lead poisoning);
(F) Fully cooking meats and eggs;
(G) Use of only pasteurized fruit juices; and
(H) Dangers of e. coli and salmonella.
(5) Water quality.
(6) Children with special needs.
(A) Knowledge of resources for services for children with special health care needs; and
(B) Knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act, and how it pertains to children with special needs in child care.
(7) Community resources, knowledge of city, county and state resources, both non-profit and governmental, for services for children.
(8) Child abuse identification and prevention.
(A) Child abuse mandated reporting requirements;
(B) Signs of child abuse and neglect; and
(C) Care giver stress and the relation of this to abuse issues.
(9) Procedures to reduce the risks of the following injuries, including but not limited to: burns, choking, falls, poisonings (lead, iron, acetaminophen, and other medications), oral injury, suffocation, drowning, injuries from weapons, and injuries from animals.
(10) Earthquake and emergency preparedness.
(A) Preparing the child care environment for major disasters; and
(B) Community resources for gaining information regarding preparing for disasters and/or assistance in case of a disaster.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 1797.107 and 1797.191, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 1596.798, 1596.8661, 1597.866, and 1797.191, Health and Safety Code; Section 3765 Business and Professions Code.
nannyde 03:09 PM 10-28-2011
http://cbssacramento.files.wordpress...-affidavit.pdf

Story starts on page five.
daycare 03:45 PM 10-28-2011
so she had a large lic but she did not have an asst.?

I just got done reading the whole report. NOt sure what to say really. It is so very sad and I feel for both the family and the provider. Sounds like she freaked out under pressure, but at the same time also sounds like she has some screws lose??
Cat Herder 03:46 PM 10-28-2011
http://cbssacramento.files.wordpress...-affidavit.pdf

Story starts on page five.
Just WOW.

Even told her 15 year old to lie
daycare 03:49 PM 10-28-2011
yeah what a great thing to teach your child to do. This whole story sounds a little screwy. SOunds like even the family might be trying to cover for her as well. Everyone involved has a lot of I cant recall and conflicting stories...

Ugh, this is why I can't do babies....Im afraid of them....lol
mom2many 03:55 PM 10-28-2011
I got my 15 hours of Health & Safety through the American Red Cross- Santa Clara Valley Chapter and this was not covered... granted that was many years ago, so it could be different now. I would sure hope so, because this is so extremely important to educate providers on.
Heidi 04:07 PM 10-28-2011
Well, that does clear a few things up! Initially, it was made to sound like she left Avin for hours after he'd died.

I can see how she'd freak out, I guess. She freaked out because she broke the rules, and she broke the rules because she had too many kids to take care of by herself, including a part time infant who does not sleep well, and who's crying distracts everyone else.

She knew she'd broken the rules, probably thought they were dumb like we all sometimes do. But, if one knowingly breaks the rules, then something happens, panic sets in.

The little guy may have survived with CPR, maybe not. We will never know.

I personally don't see her as a horrible person, but someone who made a very bad decision, and that will cost her dearly, and of course, cost the family of Avin dearly.
daycare 04:27 PM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I got my 15 hours of Health & Safety through the American Red Cross- Santa Clara Valley Chapter and this was not covered... granted that was many years ago, so it could be different now. I would sure hope so, because this is so extremely important to educate providers on.
ditto I learned about sids through a class I took on my own. NOT through the CA Health and Safety class
nannyde 06:04 PM 10-28-2011
After reading the affidavit I'm wondering if the provider didn't take the baby upstairs and prop a bottle while he was in the car seat....... send the kid up to check on him..... the kid either didn't do it or did it too late....... and found the kid burried in whatever she used to prop the bottle.

I'm wondering if the baby suffocated in whatever was used to prop the bottle. I'm wondering if the teenager was supposed to check on him and didn't or found him buried in the cloth.

Some of the stuff just doesn't add up.

A two month old drinking a six ounce bottle.
A baby that arrived at one is eating a bottle at 3:45 but teenager said the baby was in it for two hours. Dad came an hour and ten minutes later. So that would mean the kid was already in the seat during the time the provider said she fed him a whole bottle. Six ounce feeding for a two month old would take a while.

The provider left the kid away from the other kids even after knowing he had died but remember that one of the other kids is a FOUR year old sibling who can most likely fully talk.

I don't know. I'm just guessing but there HAS to be SOMETHING more than just having a kid on the second level of the house. She HAD to have done something else wrong..... really wrong...... that caused her to want to hide what happened. She may be protecting the teen if the teen was supposed to do the feeding???

I believe that the kid was fussy. I think she wanted to get him away from her and the kids. I think she had to keep the crying away from the sibling. What I can't figure out is the feeding in the middle of this and why she would have a kid in a car seat when she had a portacrib right in the room. What's easy about hauling a car seat up to a second floor with a kid in it? If she had him awake during the feeding right before she took him up there then why wouldn't she just take HIM up to the playpen? When you are climbing stairs all day long you don't take unnecessary crap up with you.

The car seat HAD to have served some purpose in the room other than holding the kid. It makes more sense to me that she had him in the seat to FEED him but she had to be downstairs with the other kids. She or the teen was supposed to be checking on him but they didn't until it was too late.

I could be way off. It could be her not wanting to wake him and leaving him in a seat after a feeding and him dying of positional asphyxia. He was only there four hours and there isn't an accounting of where she was during the first hour and forty five minutes.

With the phone records it makes me think that the kid got to the grandpas at four... the grandpa called the provider at 4:07 so the baby most likely was found dead right before four. The provider claims she fed him at 3:45.

The feeding has something to do with this........
dave4him 06:26 PM 10-28-2011
hate that so much!
sharlan 06:44 PM 10-28-2011
I agree, things just aren't adding up. IMHO, natural instinct would be to take the baby out of the carseat to feed. It's awkward to feed an infant in a carseat. As you said, why carry a heavy, bulky infant carseat upstairs when you don't have to. You take the baby out of the carseat, feed it, change it's diaper, then place the baby in a crib. I can't see doing all of that and then putting the baby back into the carseat and carrying everything upstairs.

Sad thing, there have been so many lies that I don't think anyone will ever know what the truth is. The only person who does know the truth has told so many lies that she probably doesn't even know what the truth is anymore.
mom2many 06:54 PM 10-28-2011
After reading the affidavit I'm wondering if the provider didn't take the baby upstairs and prop a bottle while he was in the car seat....... send the kid up to check on him..... the kid either didn't do it or did it too late....... and found the kid burried in whatever she used to prop the bottle.

I'm wondering if the baby suffocated in whatever was used to prop the bottle. I'm wondering if the teenager was supposed to check on him and didn't or found him buried in the cloth.

Some of the stuff just doesn't add up.

A two month old drinking a six ounce bottle.
A baby that arrived at one is eating a bottle at 3:45 but teenager said the baby was in it for two hours. Dad came an hour and ten minutes later. So that would mean the kid was already in the seat during the time the provider said she fed him a whole bottle. Six ounce feeding for a two month old would take a while.

The provider left the kid away from the other kids even after knowing he had died but remember that one of the other kids is a FOUR year old sibling who can most likely fully talk.

I don't know. I'm just guessing but there HAS to be SOMETHING more than just having a kid on the second level of the house. She HAD to have done something else wrong..... really wrong...... that caused her to want to hide what happened. She may be protecting the teen if the teen was supposed to do the feeding???

I believe that the kid was fussy. I think she wanted to get him away from her and the kids. I think she had to keep the crying away from the sibling. What I can't figure out is the feeding in the middle of this and why she would have a kid in a car seat when she had a portacrib right in the room. What's easy about hauling a car seat up to a second floor with a kid in it? If she had him awake during the feeding right before she took him up there then why wouldn't she just take HIM up to the playpen? When you are climbing stairs all day long you don't take unnecessary crap up with you.

The car seat HAD to have served some purpose in the room other than holding the kid. It makes more sense to me that she had him in the seat to FEED him but she had to be downstairs with the other kids. She or the teen was supposed to be checking on him but they didn't until it was too late.

I could be way off. It could be her not wanting to wake him and leaving him in a seat after a feeding and him dying of positional asphyxia. He was only there four hours and there isn't an accounting of where she was during the first hour and forty five minutes.

With the phone records it makes me think that the kid got to the grandpas at four... the grandpa called the provider at 4:07 so the baby most likely was found dead right before four. The provider claims she fed him at 3:45.

The feeding has something to do with this........
I agree. This is so horribly tragic and I'm thinking the infant being fed in the car seat with a bottle propped up is a very plausible scenario. He could have either suffocated from whatever was used to prop the bottle or from positional asphyxia...either way it would explain the use of a car seat, when a bed is right there in the room.

This just makes me sick.
countrymom 05:03 AM 10-29-2011
I too don't understand the feeding thing and why didn't she take the baby out to feed him and bring him downstairs with the other kids. I wonder if what they used to prop the bottle up made the baby choke, but then why wasn't the baby with her even if he was in the car seat.
Cat Herder 06:02 AM 10-29-2011
After reading the affidavit I'm wondering if the provider didn't take the baby upstairs and prop a bottle while he was in the car seat....... send the kid up to check on him..... the kid either didn't do it or did it too late....... and found the kid buried in whatever she used to prop the bottle.

I feel the same . The investigator made a point of mentioning Avin had a very full diaper. The provider said it happened after CPR was stared. That was when they began questioning her again and she changed details. It gave me chills.

During my own sons autopsy and investigation it was a very important point to investigators that he had a full bladder. That was one fact I was told that rules out suffocation on his report.

CPR had been performed on my son as well as intubation. The lead investigator told me this himself while telling me the outcome of the investigation and to comfort me that my son did not struggle or suffer.

It is possible he was trying to come up with anything to put me at peace, but it has stuck with me. I cling to that fact so I pray it is true.
Crystal 08:07 AM 10-29-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I feel the same . The investigator made a point of mentioning Avin had a very full diaper. The provider said it happened after CPR was stared. That was when they began questioning her again and she changed details. It gave me chills.

During my own sons autopsy and investigation it was a very important point to investigators that he had a full bladder. That was one fact I was told that rules out suffocation on his report.

CPR had been performed on my son as well as intubation. The lead investigator told me this himself while telling me the outcome of the investigation and to comfort me that my son did not struggle or suffer.

It is possible he was trying to come up with anything to put me at peace, but it has stuck with me. I cling to that fact so I pray it is true.

nannyde 08:25 AM 10-29-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

I missed the very wet diaper. where was that?
Cat Herder 08:58 AM 10-29-2011
I missed the very wet diaper. where was that?
Sorry for the delay, hun. We were outside carving pumpkins...

Pg. 7 lines 21-25 states she said the child was clean and dry, but assessment revealed clothing "wet and soiled".

Also line 43 discusses her changing stories after being confronted with new information.

Page 10 discusses the bloody post mortem purge around his head in the crib following death. IME, They would use the term "blood stain" instead of "wet and soiled" on the clothing.

It was very familiar wording to me.
misspollywog 09:15 AM 10-29-2011
This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach.
Michelle 08:55 PM 10-29-2011
This woman probably propped the baby with a bottle, stuck him upstairs so no one can hear him cry, planned on changing the diaper right before dad got there, and when she went to change the diaper .. that's when she found him dead, this is the worse kind of neglect... this was probably her usual practice.
Parents need to see past the expensive toys, and nice house and do surprise visits..I know these parents were awesome parents but a lot of people put too much faith in how a daycare looks, awards, college degrees and they don't do spot checks..
You can also tell if someone is propping if their car seat is always wet everyday.
I personally would never even leave my babies car seat at daycare to make sure the baby is placed in a crib.
This story makes me so sad.
Is there an article or video that shows pictures of the inside of her house?
Tags:abuse, article, saddened
Reply Up