Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Unions and Reps?
Willow 08:05 AM 02-25-2013
Does anyone else have them coming around lately?

Reason I ask is a few years ago I got a visit from one. I told them I wasn't interested in supporting the push to unionize and they asked a few questions about why. They were a bit pushy, felt like I was taking a test and my judgment was being called into question lol, but ultimately the individual respected my disinterest and moved on.

Two years ago another one showed up at my door step again and when I told them I wasn't interested they asked a few questions again. I gave the same answers, admittedly this time mildly annoyed, and then they got argumentative right on my doorstep while I had kids standing there!!!! I had to threaten to call the police to get them off my porch and they still left a crap pile of literature on my step with a parting declaration of "you obviously need to better educate yourself because you're the ONLY one not in agreement that this is what the state needs."

The whole encounter made me want to throw up and I was nervous to take the kids outside the rest of the day

I just got a notice in the mail Saturday that they will once again be making their way to my home sometime soon. To say I have major anxiety about them stepping foot onto my property is an understatement. I already fundamentally and unequivocally disagree with what they're trying to do and I'm terrified I'm going to end up arguing with another nasty individual.

Does anyone know if I put up a "NO SOLICITORS" sign if that can keep them from knocking on my door?

What do you say to them when they show up??

Birdwalk to a much larger issue - do you belong to a daycare union, why or why not? Am I missing something here with my thinking that family child care is an absolutely ridiculous thing to unionize??
Blackcat31 08:23 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Does anyone know if I put up a "NO SOLICITORS" sign if that can keep them from knocking on my door?

I have a NO SOLICITING sign. They still knock. Usually at nap time.

I opened the door and told the guy last time that I was NOT interested and go away. He told me I was ungrateful for all the work they (union reps) are doing and I should be ashamed of myself. He tossed a T-shirt on my steps and left.

He was a retired social worker from St. Louis county. Nice huh?

I get e-mails and mail from them all the time but so far no more knocking.

(Fingers crossed that it will stay that way)

I am in the process of doing this star rating thing and I heard they are kind of working together so we shall see.....
Willow 08:43 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a NO SOLICITING sign. They still knock. Usually at nap time.

I opened the door and told the guy last time that I was NOT interested and go away. He told me I was ungrateful for all the work they (union reps) are doing and I should be ashamed of myself. He tossed a T-shirt on my steps and left.

He was a retired social worker from St. Louis county. Nice huh?

I get e-mails and mail from them all the time but so far no more knocking.

(Fingers crossed that it will stay that way)

I am in the process of doing this star rating thing and I heard they are kind of working together so we shall see.....

Sounds like the same crazy that visited me! I'm SHOCKED at the attitudes! Do they really think they're going to convince anyone of anything that way???!!!!

I heard the same thing about them having something to do with the star rating. That because they weren't able to unionize the state a couple of years ago now they're trying to gain more control using that avenue?

It's INSANE how awfully pushy and nasty they are to the people they are saying they're trying to help....

Do you know BC, if they are successful in unionizing MN will it likely be statewide? County wide? Will participation be mandatory?? I'm terrified of having to deal with them on a forced basis!!!!!
Springdaze 08:55 AM 02-25-2013
We have a union here too. not sure what they do! They dont bother me, but when I used to get paid from my ccrr agency, they took out union dues. I never got around to finding out why they were charging me when Im not a member though!

All I have noticed is that they give discounts to members when you go to the annual conference that offers nothing I am interested in!

They offer between 6-8 choices of classes per 2 sessions and half are in spanish!
Blackcat31 09:05 AM 02-25-2013

Sounds like the same crazy that visited me! I'm SHOCKED at the attitudes! Do they really think they're going to convince anyone of anything that way???!!!!

I heard the same thing about them having something to do with the star rating. That because they weren't able to unionize the state a couple of years ago now they're trying to gain more control using that avenue?

It's INSANE how awfully pushy and nasty they are to the people they are saying they're trying to help....

Do you know BC, if they are successful in unionizing MN will it likely be statewide? County wide? Will participation be mandatory?? I'm terrified of having to deal with them on a forced basis!!!!!
From what little info I do know, the union will be voluntary.

However, if you accept families who use state child care assistance, participation will be autmatic as the dues will come out of the payment you receive for those families.

I also KNOW that there will be tax incentives for families who choose to use a provider who is star rated. I have heard the incentive for families on CCAP will be a huge push to choose ONLY providers who are star rated, thus making your participation in unionzation something completely unavoidable because you are serving families on CCAP.....see how that all ties nicely together?!?

Even with the use of word voluntary.

Same with the star rating system. You do not HAVE to participate but if there are incentives for families to use programs that are participating, then you can see which providers potential clients are going to choose....so again, see how this is headed?

I have heard that if the unionization does get passed, it WILL be statewide as Parent Aware and CCAP are all done on a state level with each county/area being handled by individuals...but those workers all report to someone who works on a state level.
MN Day Mom 09:27 AM 02-25-2013
Action Alert!
SF 778 will be introduced in the Senate Monday, February 25, 2013 and referred to the
Jobs, Agriculture and Rural Development Committee. Hearing and testimony will follow shorty.

SF 778 is a bill for "Representation of Family Child Care Providers"
• The bill defines Family Child Care Providers as both licensed and unlicensed providers.
• Seeks Exclusive Representation by a labor organization
• The Employer of Record will be the State of Minnesota

• Family Child Care Providers shall have the same rights to
arbitration provided under section 179A.16, subdivision 2, to essential employees. but is not intended to grant family child care providers status as public employees for any other purpose. Family child care providers shall not have the right to strike.
• authorization cards, or union membership cards of a labor organization that show a majority (50% plus 1) of family child care providers in the state desire to be represented exclusively , and no other labor organization is currently certified as the exclusive representative, shall be granted exclusive representation (no vote)
• authorization cards, or union membership cards of a labor organization adequately showing that less than a majority, but at least 30 percent of family child care providers and no other labor organization is currently certified as the exclusive representative, the commissioner shall conduct a certification election by mail ballot.
With exclusive representative, the state, through the governor or the governor's designee, shall meet and negotiate on :
1. quality standards and quality rating systems,
2. the availability of training
3. opportunities and funding,
4. reimbursement rates,
5. access to benefits,
6. changes to the state system of providing early childhood education services,
7. the collection and disbursement established dues or fees to the exclusive representative of family child care providers,
8. licensing and licensing actions,
9. the monitoring and evaluating of family child care providers,
10. and any other matters that the parties agree would improve recruitment and retention of qualified family child care providers and the quality of the programs they provide.
Exemption; federal law. the state intends that the "state action" exemption from federal antitrust laws be fully available to the state, based on the state's active supervision of family child care providers to improve the quality, accessibility, and affordability of early childhood education services in the state.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to interfere with:
• parental rights to select and deselect family child care providers or the ability of family child care providers to establish the rates they charge to parents;
• the right or obligation of any state agency to communicate or meet with any
• citizen or organization concerning family child care legislation, regulation, or policy; or the rights and responsibilities of family child care providers under federal law.
Severability. Should any part of this act be declared invalid or unenforceable, or the enforcement or compliance with it is suspended, restrained, or barred, either by the state or by the final judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction, the remainder of this act shall remain in full force and effect.

Press Conference Location & Time:
Room 125
State Capitol
1:00 p.m.

Full text of bill
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbi...l&session=ls88

Contact information for Committee Members
http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/co..._id=3060&ls=88

Learn more about both sides of the child care union effort
(listed alphabetically)

www.ccpt.org
www.childcareunioninfo.com
www.seiukidsfirst.org

Thank you for taking time to be educated and involved
Willow 09:28 AM 02-25-2013
From what little info I do know, the union will be voluntary.

However, if you accept families who use state child care assistance, participation will be autmatic as the dues will come out of the payment you receive for those families.

I also KNOW that there will be tax incentives for families who choose to use a provider who is star rated. I have heard the incentive for families on CCAP will be a huge push to choose ONLY providers who are star rated, thus making your participation in unionzation something completely unavoidable because you are serving families on CCAP.....see how that all ties nicely together?!?

Even with the use of word voluntary.

Same with the star rating system. You do not HAVE to participate but if there are incentives for families to use programs that are participating, then you can see which providers potential clients are going to choose....so again, see how this is headed?

I have heard that if the unionization does get passed, it WILL be statewide as Parent Aware and CCAP are all done on a state level with each county/area being handled by individuals...but those workers all report to someone who works on a state level.

It's all so discouraging......

Quite frankly, I'd drop all CCAP clients if it came down to mandatory union participation for anyone that takes assistance.

The Parent Aware/stars rating I'd rather achieve the highest rating I can and then fight it from the "inside." I'd hate to be labeled merely bitter just because my ratings didn't come out as high as I wanted them to. I'd rather say I conquered, and my better rating is supposedly helping my business, but I still vehemently disagree with it lol

On a side note I'd love to set up surveillance and catch the impending visit from them on video and audio. There's nothing I'd love more than to take the footage to the local media and share the outright harassment and bullying AFSCME reps are subjecting providers to!
Willow 09:34 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:
www.childcareunioninfo.com

I am so delving head first into everything in this link at nap time! Looked like phenomenal information and a way to network with lots of others who are as outraged as I am! Thank you!!!!!
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 02-25-2013

I am so delving head first into everything in this link at nap time! Looked like phenomenal information and a way to network with lots of others who are as outraged as I am! Thank you!!!!!
The facts page alone on that site will make you

I haven't read really deep into it yet, but canNOT believe some of the BS they are trying to pull.

The bill is being introduced today.

It says

"SF 778, a bill unionizing licensed family child care professionals and unlicensed providers who care for children receiving child care assistance from the State of Minnesota will be introduced Monday February 25th. This bill will allow unions to represent you and your business, even if you don't want them to. This bill also denies providers the right to a secret ballot election if the union collects more than 50% of the union authorization cards they have been collecting for the last seven years. For more information on this bill and how you can stand up and keep your rights as an independent business owner, visit the Minnesota website."
WoodOx 09:48 AM 02-25-2013
they take out union dues wether you joined or not. if you get payments from the state they deduct 2% of what you got paid.
and they say they have helped providers soo much. ugh whatever. first off yeah sure the rates were increased by 3% but then 2% is taken from you, WTH !!!? . the one time that a union folk came to my door step my licensor had by luck stoped by. they went away. and my licensor advised me not to bother opening the door for these ppl when i have kids in my care, b/c they aren taking up attention from the kids.
Country Kids 09:50 AM 02-25-2013
They are saying here for the stars system that in order to receive a higher pay for state children it will depend on how many stars you have. Also, it may possibly be if you don't want to participate in the stars program you can't accept state children.
Rubysmom 10:01 AM 02-25-2013
I have nothing to add other than I am also against unionization. I do not see any benefit to me that I do not already have available to me. I feel the Parent Aware ratings and the unions are tied together also. It is very disheartening and it feels so forced.
mema 10:26 AM 02-25-2013
I had one a year and a half ago (I think) and I don't want to see them again. Rude, mean, words I can't type because they won't show up! There is a fb page also
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Childc...292446?fref=ts
They update when there is news to go out.
I think it's ridiculous, but we shall see what will happen. Even if every rovider said no, I think it is still going to go thru-altho I hope not.
Play Care 10:27 AM 02-25-2013
I'm in NY and we are unionized. If you take state pay a percentage comes out in dues. I do not take state pay...

I never understood the push to unionize - I am my own business/boss. How are they going to shorten my hours or make me more money? Essentially it's just another agency taking money out of our pockets.

As far as them coming to the door, they did several years ago. I would just tell them nicely I was busy and they would leave their stuff.
MarinaVanessa 02:31 PM 02-25-2013
Does anyone else have them coming around lately?

Reason I ask is a few years ago I got a visit from one. I told them I wasn't interested in supporting the push to unionize and they asked a few questions about why. They were a bit pushy, felt like I was taking a test and my judgment was being called into question lol, but ultimately the individual respected my disinterest and moved on.

Two years ago another one showed up at my door step again and when I told them I wasn't interested they asked a few questions again. I gave the same answers, admittedly this time mildly annoyed, and then they got argumentative right on my doorstep while I had kids standing there!!!! I had to threaten to call the police to get them off my porch and they still left a crap pile of literature on my step with a parting declaration of "you obviously need to better educate yourself because you're the ONLY one not in agreement that this is what the state needs."

The whole encounter made me want to throw up and I was nervous to take the kids outside the rest of the day

I just got a notice in the mail Saturday that they will once again be making their way to my home sometime soon. To say I have major anxiety about them stepping foot onto my property is an understatement. I already fundamentally and unequivocally disagree with what they're trying to do and I'm terrified I'm going to end up arguing with another nasty individual.

Birdwalk to a much larger issue - do you belong to a daycare union, why or why not? Am I missing something here with my thinking that family child care is an absolutely ridiculous thing to unionize??
Those encounters would have left a bad taste in my mouth as well.
Just because this is the kind of person that I am I'd have put a big sign on my lawn ....

Warning to Daycare Union Reps

Do not bother coming to my door, I am not interested.
Apart from the fact that unionizing family child care will have absolutely
NO benefit for ME or MY business I do not agree with your SCARE tactics.

The last two times one of your daycare union reps came to my home
I was demeaned, interrogated and was called uneducated because I
do not share the same opinions that you do.

If you come to my door I will have no choice but to take this as a threat
as you have already been warned and I will call the police and press
charges for trespassing.

I'd make it big enough so that neighbors and other people could see the sign and I'd have it posted up well before the reps are due to visit my home.

My state is also pressing for the QRIS program like yours BlackCat but I don't see it as a bad thing ... yet. We will see if things change once we get more info. We are only in the pilot program steps for daycare centers and no word yet on whether it's a sure thing for FCC.

As far as the union thing goes ... CA has also been pressing for unionizing FCC but I doubt is has much steam left as I haven't heard anything in over 6 months. I wanted to get more info and contacted the group that is pushing for it several times to request information about how it work and what they would do etc but I never got a response.
Starburst 02:40 PM 02-25-2013
The next time they come to your door get a hiden video camera or a tape recorder. Try to act as nicely and as professional as possible by saying 'no thank you, I am not interested' and if they start yelling at you or saying nasty things tell them 'I am too busy running my business right now and you are interupting my work' and if they continue tell them 'I don't appriciate being harrassed', ''you are scaring the daycare children', and 'Please leave my property and take me off your list. Your union is not welcome here and if you or any other union reps come back I will consider it tresspassing and I will call the police.' If you catch them saying anything critical of you or your business you can probably take it to the local police station and tell them that a group is harassing you at your home/business.

Some unions are really janked up and can really make people act like they are more privilaged. When they had that union strike at Nob Hill at the end of last year, my local one I heard that many of them were spitting and grabbing costumers who crossed the picket line. You know what they were fighting for? Apparently because of the bad economy the company had to make some cut backs on employee spouse pension benifits after the age of 62, a cut in some health benefits, and apparently they were used to getting paid 2x more their normal wages for working on Sundays (all year; not just holidays)! Heck in this economy most people are happy to just have a job, my mom worked at Denny's for over 20 years she worked days and nights and weekends as a manager and a waitress many times for 12-16 hour shifts (always full time). She never got paid 2x her normal pay and she never had benefits! sometimes she had to work two jobs for us to get by! And yet when the strike was over they got rid of all the scabs (that were willing to work for them at less pay) they took everyone of the union brats back- even the people who spat and threw things at customers! If I was a costumer I wouldn't want to go back there knowing they are re-hiring those tyrants! (I don't shop there really because it's too expensive and there is a Safeway on the same street) The only reason I know all of this is because my mom did work as a scab during this time so she got all the insider details. I am not saying all unions are bad- but sometimes they can be because they make people think they are indisructable.
DCMom 05:16 PM 02-25-2013
Minnesota providers, if you do not want this you need to let your legislators know. I have written to all of my district legislators plus the people who are introducing the bill. Unfortunately, these meetings are always held while I am working ~ so this is all I can do without putting out 8 families.

Rather than trying to re-type all of the information, I am copying and pasting and email forwarded from our county association. All I can say is, act now. With the current make up of our state government (DFL in control of the house, senate AND governor) there is not a more perfect time for this to be passed. It nearly was implemented by executive order last time; a judge ruled that it needed to go to the legislature. Well, here we are.

In case you can't tell, I'm not for the union

Hello colleagues,

Child care unionization is now being pushed through with new legislation.
http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/me...em_id=1192&ls=

This bill would allow the union to exclusively represent all providers who accept children on the subsidy program. If the union collects more than 50% of the cards, many of which they have already collected over the last seven years, they will be counted as votes and providers will be denied the right to a secret ballot election. This bill also groups licensed child care professionals with unlicensed family, friend, neighbor providers which means that they can collect enough cards using unlicensed providers to force those of us who are licensed to become unionized. If they are not able to collect 50%, they can collect 30% and then get a secret ballot election in which over half the licensed child care professionals would be excluded from voting, even if they are willing to accept families receiving child care assistance. This vote would also include unlicensed FFN providers so they could easily tip an election in the unions favor.

I am urging you today to write the authors of this bill in the senate and urge them to withdraw this legislation. It was abundantly clear the last time this was tried that providers and the public did not support this and did not want union representation. Please consider forwarding this email to all licensed providers you know. Let's show them that we don't need a union or anyone else to speak for us, we can speak for ourselves.

Pappas's email form

http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/me...mem_id=1046&ls

Bakk's email form

http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/me...mem_id=1003&ls

Haydens email address

sen.jeff.hayden@senate.mn

Eaton's email form

http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/me...mem_id=1192&ls

One more thing, if you haven't already done so, please consider signing a deauthorization card. These can be used to counter a signed union card and can also be used down the road to show you were not in support of unionization which could help us in recovering dues taken from child care assistance payments.
Willow 05:41 PM 02-25-2013
DCMom - do you have information on where to get a deauthorization card?

Fantastic information, I am forwarding it on to all the providers I know!

ETA - I just went crazy emailing not only the four you listed but loads of others on the senate members list as well lol

We'll see if I get any sort of response from anyone :P

Going to keep tabs here....
Received an automated response from:
Senator David Hann :P
Lucy 06:14 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
They are saying here for the stars system that in order to receive a higher pay for state children it will depend on how many stars you have. Also, it may possibly be if you don't want to participate in the stars program you can't accept state children.
That's fine with me!!! I don't want to be in their stinking union, I DON'T give a hoot about the dumb stars program, and to tell the absolute truth, I really don't want to accept state paid families.

I detest all the government interference. Having health and safety rules, I get. All the other b.s. can just go away.

Lucy 06:16 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I never understood the push to unionize - I am my own business/boss. How are they going to shorten my hours or make me more money? Essentially it's just another agency taking money out of our pockets.
That was my initial thoughts too. But they they are more of a lobby group the way I see it. They did get one thing for us in my state. They made it so my First Aid Class was free. Whoopeeee.
Lucy 06:20 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
The next time they come to your door get a hidden video camera or a tape recorder.
Hidden?? Heck.... have it in your hand where they can clearly see it, and film them from the minute you open the door. That'll intimidate 'em!!! If they ask why you are doing it, tell them that you have been harrassed by them twice, and you want proof this time if it happens again.
Willow 06:31 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:

I detest all the government interference. Having health and safety rules, I get. All the other b.s. can just go away.

We were obviously separated at birth
Lucy 06:40 PM 02-25-2013
We were obviously separated at birth

Angelsj 07:33 PM 02-25-2013
So who are these people, because everyone I talk to wants nothing to do with unionization (me included), yet it just keeps going...like the energizer bunny.
Who, exactly, is pushing for it?
Childminder 08:46 PM 02-25-2013
We were forced into a union here in MI a few years ago and dues were taken from our state subsidy checks. They got us a 1% raise and the dues amounted to 1.15% of our checks so I made less after they got us the big raise.

A couple of years later they were disbanded(is that the right word?) and as far as I know there is a class action suit in Federal court that is spose to be trying to get our monies back.

I've been told that the unions, ours was the UAW(United Auto Workers), have lost so many members and strength because of the decline of the auto industry that they were doing what they could to increase members. That and they were "in bed" with politicians. All I know was that they pissed off a lot of people.
Play Care 02:49 AM 02-26-2013
That was my initial thoughts too. But they they are more of a lobby group the way I see it. They did get one thing for us in my state. They made it so my First Aid Class was free. Whoopeeee.
They did have grants avalible for the first time in years last year - I imagine everyone's dues paid for that But as for any other policy, I don't see where they helped. Our licensing period went from every 2 years to 4, but that was to allow more pop in visits...We used to be able to get a waivers for certain regs (if you had two under two and one dc parent was expecting and it was going to be a short period where you had 3 under 2 comes to mind) but then they said no more- causing in homes to lose clients who wanted to keep their kids together. It seems as if most of the things that have happened since the Union haven't been as beneficial as they would like us to believe.
Play Care 03:00 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
So who are these people, because everyone I talk to wants nothing to do with unionization (me included), yet it just keeps going...like the energizer bunny.
Who, exactly, is pushing for it?
In my area there is one in home dc provider who is on the "team" and is very union. When the union was "voted" in a few years ago some other providers who hadn't realized that they would be losing money complained. She went on the news and told them the time to have complained was before the union. Most providers are busy people and since meetings and visits are always during the work day it's a bit hard to find the time - and when I was visited they never mentioned how they would be taking money out of our pockets. Funny how that happened

I *do* think that PROVIDERS should organize and try to lobby the state agency especially when some of the regs are designed to make in home dc's more and more like centers/institutions or regs are changed based on things that happen in illegal dc's.
Sprouts 04:45 AM 02-26-2013
Unions make sense for some industries, but since most of us have our own business and make our own hours and rules, i dont see why we need a union?

I guess it could help when it comes to getting payments from government agencies or people who get paid through universal Pre-K. It does help to have a group speak on your behalf, but from the way they are doing this sounds HORRIBLE.

I am in NY and I haven't had this. Ive heard of VOICE, but dont know much about it. Anyone else from NY here?
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 02-26-2013
DCMom - do you have information on where to get a deauthorization card?
Providers who signed a card and do not wish to be automatically enrolled as a union member should request their card back.

AFCSME/Council 5
Attn: Adrienne Kern
300 Hardman Avenue South
Suite #2
So. St. Paul, MN 55075
Phone: 651-450-4990
Fax: 651-455-1311

You may email Adrienne directly to request your card back at:
adrienne.kern@afscmemn.org

http://childcareunioninfo.weebly.com...ou-signed.html

Found out last night that in order to participate in the Parent Aware stars rating program, providers MUST have atleast one family on CCAP.

and.......

although the union (if passed) will be voluntary, union dues will be taken automatically from CCAP payments so basically taking a family who is using CCAP will automatically make you part of the union.

Nice how that ties together.

Providers participating in Parent Aware will be the providers our CCR&R recommend when families call looking for child care services.

Families who choose providers who participate in Parent Aware will also receive tax incentives (?) and be eligible for scholarships to help pay for child care all through the Parent Aware program.

Participation may be voluntary and/or optional but they sure aren't making it easy to NOT participate. *sigh*
Country Kids 06:14 AM 02-26-2013
That's fine with me!!! I don't want to be in their stinking union, I DON'T give a hoot about the dumb stars program, and to tell the absolute truth, I really don't want to accept state paid families.

The whole thing with the STARS program on the meetings I've gone to, if you don't participate you will only receive a 1! The only way to get a 2 is to committ to the program then I think you have so long to get above that before going back to a 1.

I've already received the 1st revision on it last week. I'm curious how many revisions before summer of 2014.

My concern/question is why do all the stuff for the STARS if we are going to end up with Universal Preschool. No one here (in my area) seems concerned with it though so they want to really get the STARS program going.
SquirrellyMama 06:40 AM 02-26-2013
When I was visited by union reps several years ago I told them it didn't make much sense since I decide my prices. Their argument was for state pay providers. As a PP stated, that may not work out well if the dues are higher than the raise.

K
Willow 07:31 AM 02-26-2013
Got this last night at quarter after 10, I was impressed at her dedication!!!

Hi *******,

Thank you for your email. This attempt to unionize your business is a DFL move and one that I worked against last year.

This year the DFL control the House, Senate, and Gov. Mansion so it's a bit tougher. I need your help in talking to other providers about this very dangerous move to your business.

Perhaps a town hall meeting with Childcare providers in ********* County is in order?

Attached is a news clip from today....

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/0...ation/#respond

Also, I am the Chief Author of House File 846 which would protect your business from being unionized.

Contact me anytime.

Sincerely,
Mary

Representative Mary Franson 8B
211 State Office Building
St. Paul, MN 55155

email: rep.mary.franson@house.mn

office: 651.296.3201
cell: 320.304.4001

Subscribe to my email updates at:
http://www.house.mn/8B

"Like" me on Facebook www.facebook.com/RepresentativeMaryFranson

"Follow" me on Twitter @RepMaryFranson

Sent from my iPhone

I'm not sure what House File 846 is but that sure peaked my interest! I do plan to email or call her at nap time to ask more about it.

I posted to the MN providers facebook page and have gotten quite the response there, so many had no clue what all this could mean for them. It's sad this is being pushed so hard and so many providers don't have any or nearly enough information about it.

I also sent an email to the link BC provided this morning because although I don't remember signing a card I could see myself doing something like that to get more information and I DO remember getting mailings from AFSCME in the past. I don't want them to be able to use it if I did!!!
Willow 07:34 AM 02-26-2013
Found out last night that in order to participate in the Parent Aware stars rating program, providers MUST have atleast one family on CCAP.

That is just INSANITY!!!!!!!
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 02-26-2013
I also sent an email to the link BC provided this morning because although I don't remember signing a card I could see myself doing something like that to get more information and I DO remember getting mailings from AFSCME in the past. I don't want them to be able to use it if I did!!!
You probably did fill out the card.....I did because I was told it was for my name to be placed on a list of providers seeking information.

If you are getting mailings from AFSCME, you probably filled out the card.

I'm not sure what House File 846 is but that sure peaked my interest! I do plan to email or call her at nap time to ask more about it.
Here is what House File 846 says:

Section 1. [179A.015] FAMILY FREEDOM ACT.
1.6 Subdivision 1. Title. This section shall be known as the Family Freedom Act.
1.7 Subd. 2. Prohibition. A self-employed individual shall be considered an
1.8 independent contractor as provided for under the National Labor Relations Act, United
1.9 States Code, title 29, chapter 7, subchapter II, section 152, even if some or all of the
1.10 funding for any service provided to any client of the individual comes from a governmental
1.11 subsidy. Self-employed individuals may not form or join a labor or employee organization
1.12 under authority of chapter 179; the Public Employment Labor Relations Act, chapter
1.13 179A; or any other law. Individuals subject to the prohibition in this section include, but
1.14 are not limited to, child care providers and personal care attendants.

http://wdoc.house.leg.state.mn.us/leg/LS88/HF0846.0.pdf
Willow 08:04 AM 02-26-2013
Here is what House File 846 says:

Section 1. [179A.015] FAMILY FREEDOM ACT.
1.6 Subdivision 1. Title. This section shall be known as the Family Freedom Act.
1.7 Subd. 2. Prohibition. A self-employed individual shall be considered an
1.8 independent contractor as provided for under the National Labor Relations Act, United
1.9 States Code, title 29, chapter 7, subchapter II, section 152, even if some or all of the
1.10 funding for any service provided to any client of the individual comes from a governmental
1.11 subsidy. Self-employed individuals may not form or join a labor or employee organization
1.12 under authority of chapter 179; the Public Employment Labor Relations Act, chapter
1.13 179A; or any other law. Individuals subject to the prohibition in this section include, but
1.14 are not limited to, child care providers and personal care attendants.

http://wdoc.house.leg.state.mn.us/leg/LS88/HF0846.0.pdf

I stunk at social studies/political science classes....care to dumb down what the above means?

I understand the wording but not how it would pertain to being unionized....is it like, a counter bill? Is it something that would need to be passed just the same? If they both pass how would that play out for providers? Would it just wipe the unionization bill off the books or would we just be able to use it to fight the unionization bill's effects on an individual level?
Blackcat31 08:18 AM 02-26-2013
I stunk at social studies/political science classes....care to dumb down what the above means?

I understand the wording but not how it would pertain to being unionized....is it like, a counter bill? Is it something that would need to be passed just the same? If they both pass how would that play out for providers? Would it just wipe the unionization bill off the books or would we just be able to use it to fight the unionization bill's effects on an individual level?
Basically it would legally classify family child care providers as independent contractors. Meaning we would be allowed to remain operating under our own policies (within the licensing rules of course) and that any attempt to unionize family child care providers would be illegal.

I do NOT know how this pertains or effects child care centers and or workers within a center as they could possibly still form a union (which I don't necessarily think is a bad rap for them).

I am unsure how each bill being passed at the same time, before or after would work as I don't know what the laws are in regards to "bills" and executive orders from the governor or senate work as far as who gets to supercede who....kwim?

Bottom line though is this house bill would protect INDIVIDUAL child care providers to make their own choices and that much I do understand and like!
Country Kids 08:21 AM 02-26-2013

That is just INSANITY!!!!!!!
Thats what I don't like about these programs!!!! We are no longer business owners but work for the government IMO.

Its sooooooo irratating!!
DCMom 08:26 AM 02-26-2013
Providers who signed a card and do not wish to be automatically enrolled as a union member should request their card back.

AFCSME/Council 5
Attn: Adrienne Kern
300 Hardman Avenue South
Suite #2
So. St. Paul, MN 55075
Phone: 651-450-4990
Fax: 651-455-1311

You may email Adrienne directly to request your card back at:
adrienne.kern@afscmemn.org

http://childcareunioninfo.weebly.com...ou-signed.html

and.......

although the union (if passed) will be voluntary, union dues will be taken automatically from CCAP payments so basically taking a family who is using CCAP will automatically make you part of the union.

Nice how that ties together.

Providers participating in Parent Aware will be the providers our CCR&R recommend when families call looking for child care services.

Families who choose providers who participate in Parent Aware will also receive tax incentives (?) and be eligible for scholarships to help pay for child care all through the Parent Aware program.

Participation may be voluntary and/or optional but they sure aren't making it easy to NOT participate. *sigh*
I was just coming back to post that info BC, thanks!

I have also attached a de-authorization form that can be filled out and emailed per the instructions on the sheet.

About Parent Aware....I am totally LOL'ing here.

I have been on the fence about PA for quite awhile. I was involved in the initial launch years ago when it was just called 'The Quality Rating System' and questioned how far it would go then. More recently, I have participated in Launching Early Learners and other programs that involved a mentor/coach that came to my childcare regularly. My mentor/coach was also is very, very involved in PA and we would have these discussions when she was at my home about the union and PA and CCAP and mandatory vs voluntary. I'm kinda to the right and she's sorta to the left, but we would have these really great conversations.

She absolutely assured me ( a year or so ago...) 'that would NEVER happen, it is NOT the intention of PA to require any type of participation in any other program!' I said, 'OK, we'll see...". And here we are.

I say the same thing about the union. ANY gov't money you receive will be subject to union dues. I truly believe that at some point you will need to be a member of the union to be licensed. JMHO.
Attached: Union_Deauthorization_Card_-_2013.doc (26.5 KB) 
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I truly believe that at some point you will need to be a member of the union to be licensed. JMHO.
+1

I believe from the bottom of my heart that eventually ALL child cares, in every state will be regulated by the same rules and policies and family child care as we know it today will no longer exist.

Providers will eventually all hold degrees (a CDA at minimum) and will have to adhere to and follow the same guiding principals as the Head Start programs.

After all, PA touts Head Start as "the model of success" ( ) and to me that simply means another way for the government to step in and insist that we do things "their way", which to means we will be working for them, there will be NO support; monetary or otherwise, in return as the money will be used up in unnecessary grants and super big salaries for those folks that over see us working folk.

Our education system is a failure as it is and I am truly saddened by the fact that any educated person knows that the early years before school entrance are the most important one but yet the caregivers and teachers of these young children are given the least amount of respect and the least amount of pay for their services.

....and now the government wants to step in and ask more of us?

I don't know about you, but I barely have time to do the paperwork I have and I barely live over poverty level so again, until someone can tell me how a union or star rating system is going to benefit me or change those things, I am NOT on board.
DCMom 08:59 AM 02-26-2013
+1

I believe from the bottom of my heart that eventually ALL child cares, in every state will be regulated by the same rules and policies and family child care as we know it today will no longer exist.

Providers will eventually all hold degrees (a CDA at minimum) and will have to adhere to and follow the same guiding principals as the Head Start programs.

After all, PA touts Head Start as "the model of success" ( ) and to me that simply means another way for the government to step in and insist that we do things "their way", which to means we will be working for them, there will be NO support; monetary or otherwise, in return as the money will be used up in unnecessary grants and super big salaries for those folks that over see us working folk.

Our education system is a failure as it is and I am truly saddened by the fact that any educated person knows that the early years before school entrance are the most important one but yet the caregivers and teachers of these young children are given the least amount of respect and the least amount of pay for their services.

....and now the government wants to step in and ask more of us?

I don't know about you, but I barely have time to do the paperwork I have and I barely live over poverty level so again, until someone can tell me how a union or star rating system is going to benefit me or change those things, I am NOT on board.

Agree completely. The government wants to provide cradle to grave 'education'.

This union thing is nothing but a money grab. Think about it ~ they are going to collectively bargain to raise the re-imbursement rate, then they are going to take 2% back out? Who's the winner here? Hint: not the provider, not the parent and not the taxpayer. That right, the union.
KnoxMom 09:16 AM 02-26-2013

Ditto!
KnoxMom 09:17 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by DCMom:

This union thing is nothing but a money grab. Think about it ~ they are going to collectively bargain to raise the re-imbursement rate, then they are going to take 2% back out? Who's the winner here? Hint: not the provider, not the parent and not the taxpayer. That's right, the union.
Hello!
Heidi 09:24 AM 02-26-2013
Thats what I don't like about these programs!!!! We are no longer business owners but work for the government IMO.

Its sooooooo irratating!!
Yeah...without government employee benefits!

In our state, we must be WILLING to care for state funded kids. There is really no way they can say you must have some enrolled...what if there is no demand in your area?
Lucy 11:06 AM 02-26-2013
The whole thing with the STARS program on the meetings I've gone to, if you don't participate you will only receive a 1! The only way to get a 2 is to committ to the program then I think you have so long to get above that before going back to a 1.

I've already received the 1st revision on it last week. I'm curious how many revisions before summer of 2014.

My concern/question is why do all the stuff for the STARS if we are going to end up with Universal Preschool. No one here (in my area) seems concerned with it though so they want to really get the STARS program going.
Ok, so what exactly will it harm me to only have a 1? Where does this come into play anyway? Is how many stars I have only known if parents go to a state website and look me up? Because if they don't, then I could care less how many stupid stars I have. I don't take state paid families, and I don't give a hoot about moving up the ranks education-wise. So where exactly will the extra stars benefit me?

Is summer of 2014 the target date for all this to start? I honestly know NOTHING about it. I mean, I went to that focus group thing, but that was just for the 50 bucks!! It was Christmas time, ya know!

Is our state looking at Universal Preschool? I'm obviously very un-informed!!!
Play Care 11:09 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Yeah...without government employee benefits!

In our state, we must be WILLING to care for state funded kids. There is really no way they can say you must have some enrolled...what if there is no demand in your area?
Exactly!! I want health bennies and retirement!!!
wahmof3 11:16 AM 02-26-2013
My state recently unionized. The first year title xx (state paid childcare) had to pay fair share dues. I was p**sed!

Then a new governor was elected and eliminated the fair share dues so now its optional... YAY!!

I don't see the need for union and I am finding out they side with the state anyway

Really its not a laughing matter and there are many many changes in the near future where I live--- universal preschool is probably one of them.
Country Kids 11:55 AM 02-26-2013
Ok, so what exactly will it harm me to only have a 1? Where does this come into play anyway? Is how many stars I have only known if parents go to a state website and look me up? Because if they don't, then I could care less how many stupid stars I have. I don't take state paid families, and I don't give a hoot about moving up the ranks education-wise. So where exactly will the extra stars benefit me?

Is summer of 2014 the target date for all this to start? I honestly know NOTHING about it. I mean, I went to that focus group thing, but that was just for the 50 bucks!! It was Christmas time, ya know!

Is our state looking at Universal Preschool? I'm obviously very un-informed!!!
No, your stars will be known through the state, CCR&R, possibly on your registration, DHS. From what I'm understanding is if a parent asks for providers with XX amount of stars those will be the ones referred to? Possibly the higher the stars the more referrals you will get. Maybe someone who has it in their state already could explain-

I have heard that it will go into full effect the summer of 2014.

All states would do the Universal Preschool from my understanding of it. There was just an article again about it in the newspaper last night.
Willow 12:20 PM 02-26-2013
Ok seriously, one of us needs to become disgruntled enough to quit and run for governor.

Even better yet president?

Any takers? Because I'm sure that would sort this out right quick.

Ask not what your fellow providers can do for you, but what you can do for your fellow providers......you can sacrifice your life of wiping booger noses and butts for fantastic digs and great food!!! And you'll be helping all the rest of us to boot!!!
mema 12:26 PM 02-26-2013
Ok seriously, one of us needs to become disgruntled enough to quit and run for governor.

Ask not what your fellow providers can do for you, but what you can do for your fellow providers......you can sacrifice your life of wiping booger noses and butts for fantastic digs and great food!!! And you'll be helping all the rest of us to boot!!!

No thanks, unless you could do it just long enough to straighten this out and then quit-I don't want to deal with the rest of the "issues" I have enough stress!
snbauser 02:32 PM 02-26-2013
No, your stars will be known through the state, CCR&R, possibly on your registration, DHS. From what I'm understanding is if a parent asks for providers with XX amount of stars those will be the ones referred to? Possibly the higher the stars the more referrals you will get. Maybe someone who has it in their state already could explain-
Here our star ratings are listed on the child care website and are right on our license that we have to have posted. Our stars also can determine whether we can get any type of grants. Our state assistance reimbursment rate is based on your star rating and you can't get reimbursement if you aren't at least 3 stars.
Country Kids 03:20 PM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Here our star ratings are listed on the child care website and are right on our license that we have to have posted. Our stars also can determine whether we can get any type of grants. Our state assistance reimbursment rate is based on your star rating and you can't get reimbursement if you aren't at least 3 stars.
Thank you for responding! I was thinking I had heard the same thing was going to be for our state.
Lucy 05:31 PM 02-26-2013
I just got a new Avatar. I wasn't sure what to pick, then I saw one that was titled "One Star". Perfect. Enough said. LOL
Lucy 05:37 PM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I just think that's a bunch of b.s. (Not you... the state ruling about it!) Since when is "just babysitting", which is what I consider myself to do and am perfectly happy with, a job that requires me to take hours and hours and hours of classes and get piles of certifications? I took recognizing and reporting child abuse and neglect. I took infant and child CPR and first aid, I get inspected every other year. Is that not enough?

Kudos to anyone who really WANTS their job to be one where they achieve higher levels of education. I have absolutely NO problem with that. I just choose to be a "dummy" and provide safe, reliable, loving, caring "babysitting". I don't need a government grading me and telling parents that my neighbor on the next block is somehow better than me because she has a flippin' star on her license. Call me an under-achiever... I'm fine with it!

Sorry to sound so negative about this, but -- well, I AM!!
Sunshine74 07:03 PM 02-26-2013
This is completely OT, but every time I scroll down the lists of threads I read this one as "Daycare Unicorns..." It's been that kind of day, and I only worked a half day today.

I hadn't heard of any union here in NY, but apparently we have one because I looked it up. They are just starting a star program here, but we haven't heard much about it yet.
Springdaze 05:54 AM 02-27-2013
I totally see what you are saying lucy. most of the classes they offer are useless anyway. if you want to babysit, then why not! If the parents were home with them, they wouldnt have to "teach" them and probably wouldnt. Child safety, cpr, I get it.
sammie 08:48 AM 02-27-2013

Willow for President!!
Tags:qris, soliciting, solicitors, solisiting, solisitors, star program, stars, unions
Reply Up