Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Need a Fast Response to a Biter Form Please

I had an incident today where a child was bitten by another child on the finger. The biter is almost 19 months. The child bitten is 4. The 4 yr old put his finger in the other childs face pointing at him instructing him to drive the car a certain way. The biter immediately bit his finger as I was redirecting the 4 yr old to not put his finger in the childs face and give him space. Anyways the bite did not leave a mark or break the skin. An incident report was filled out for the 4 yr old. What form needs to be completed for the 19 month old. Also this 19 month old is very aggressive hitting, throwing toys, throwing himself down screaming pretty much off and on during the day here and at home. Does anyone have a form that states the negative behavior of a child and what the consequence is ( warning, probation, behavior plan). I haven't had to deal with this before and want to be prepared if it gets worse. Thanks everyone
Old 02-18-2015, 01:00 PM
Daycare.com Member

I generally don't use a form for that....I talk to the parent face to face. Maybe I'm in the minority?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
I generally don't use a form for that....I talk to the parent face to face. Maybe I'm in the minority?
I plan to speak to the parent face to face as well. I guess I was wondering if there needs to be a form filled out for both kids or just the one that was bitten. I will jot it down in the childs file that he bit another child but for licensing is there a requirement to have a parent sign that they were informed there child bit another child?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

CYA.....cover your a$$ document documnet

Do you have a disciplinary plan of action?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

Yeah, I can see that documentation would be smart. Weren't the old days great? "Johnny, I guess you won't be sticking your finger in Jimmy's face again, huh?"
Old 02-18-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
Yeah, I can see that documentation would be smart. Weren't the old days great? "Johnny, I guess you won't be sticking your finger in Jimmy's face again, huh?"
lol have you ever seen this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBlgSz8sSM
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
lol have you ever seen this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBlgSz8sSM
Haha, yes--love that!
Old 02-18-2015, 01:41 PM

sorry, in all seriousness of the situation I would make sure to document for each child's file.

I would tell the parent of the biter what you are doing to help the child and what they will need to do at home as well. Do you have a 3 strikes policy?

Like if it happens two more times no matter what you will have to term the child???? Give the parents tips on what they can do to help the child curb biting. Look on-line for print outs

As for the child that was bit, I would do the same thing. Let the parents know what happened and how you are going to try to prevent it from happening again in the future. DOn't use childs names, but make certain that the parents are reassured that you are doing all you can to diminish the behavior.

then have both parents sign off and place in their individual files
Old 02-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
sorry, in all seriousness of the situation I would make sure to document for each child's file.

I would tell the parent of the biter what you are doing to help the child and what they will need to do at home as well. Do you have a 3 strikes policy?

Like if it happens two more times no matter what you will have to term the child???? Give the parents tips on what they can do to help the child curb biting. Look on-line for print outs

As for the child that was bit, I would do the same thing. Let the parents know what happened and how you are going to try to prevent it from happening again in the future. DOn't use childs names, but make certain that the parents are reassured that you are doing all you can to diminish the behavior.

then have both parents sign off and place in their individual files
I don't have a 3 strikes policy. My disciplinary policy basically states that after 3 times of needing to be separated from the group in one day the child is sent home for the day. If the behavior doesn't improve then the child is on a one week probation. At the end of the probation if the behavior has not improved then care is terminated. I think that I need to make some changes to the plan and possibly incorporate a 3 strikes policy. Is anyone willing to give an example of what there's is like? Thank you for al the responses, so quickly, I know you all are busy and I appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz View Post
I don't have a 3 strikes policy. My disciplinary policy basically states that after 3 times of needing to be separated from the group in one day the child is sent home for the day. If the behavior doesn't improve then the child is on a one week probation. At the end of the probation if the behavior has not improved then care is terminated. I think that I need to make some changes to the plan and possibly incorporate a 3 strikes policy. Is anyone willing to give an example of what there's is like? Thank you for al the responses, so quickly, I know you all are busy and I appreciate it.
I don't have a 3 strikes policy, but I know some that do.

I think for me, I go case by case. however, I do have something written in stone, so that they are not surprised if I need to use it.

let me get mine...hopefully someone will chime in with theirs...
Old 02-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Honestly, I think a 2 strikes policy is at all appropriate for a 19 month old. That is barely out of baby hood, and while behaviors are undesirable, they are not capable of self-control at that age.

A four year old, honestly, that's "stupid enough" (I mean that kindly) to put his finger in another child's mouth would get minimal sympathy from me. Obviously, I wouldn't tell him "it's your own fault, dummy", but I know my mom would have said that!

I would document, I guess, although if there is no mark what-so-ever, I'd question even that. Maybe only because there are other behaviors with this child. None of it sound that unusual, but sometimes it's not the behavior, it's the quantity of the behavior that raises those red flags.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Honestly, I think a 2 strikes policy is at all appropriate for a 19 month old. That is barely out of baby hood, and while behaviors are undesirable, they are not capable of self-control at that age.

A four year old, honestly, that's "stupid enough" (I mean that kindly) to put his finger in another child's mouth would get minimal sympathy from me. Obviously, I wouldn't tell him "it's your own fault, dummy", but I know my mom would have said that!

I would document, I guess, although if there is no mark what-so-ever, I'd question even that. Maybe only because there are other behaviors with this child. None of it sound that unusual, but sometimes it's not the behavior, it's the quantity of the behavior that raises those red flags.
I so agree. I told the 4 year old that he needs to make better choices and not put his fingers in anyone's faces. If it was my child I would have told them its their fault for doing something that dumb.(maybe in a nicer way but, the same thing). 4yr old DCB's dad told him that's what he gets for doing something so dumb. He also spoke to him about me having to tell him constantly to stay out of the 19 month olds face. 19 month old dcb's mom was very apologetic and told him he can not bite. I feel like that long after the fact he doesn't get what he did wrong. I had planned not to enforce a 3 strikes and your out policy for him given his age....but dcm dropped off this morning and said that he bit his 6 month old sibling last night before bedtime, because he was upset. So I told her that yesterday was his 1st strike and he has 2 more before care is terminated. I understand biting is not always something that can be fixed that easily, but I don't want the liability of him biting anyone, especially the infant.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I so agree. I told the 4 year old that he needs to make better choices and not put his fingers in anyone's faces. If it was my child I would have told them its their fault for doing something that dumb.(maybe in a nicer way but, the same thing). 4yr old DCB's dad told him that's what he gets for doing something so dumb. He also spoke to him about me having to tell him constantly to stay out of the 19 month olds face. 19 month old dcb's mom was very apologetic and told him he can not bite. I feel like that long after the fact he doesn't get what he did wrong. I had planned not to enforce a 3 strikes and your out policy for him given his age....but dcm dropped off this morning and said that he bit his 6 month old sibling last night before bedtime, because he was upset. So I told her that yesterday was his 1st strike and he has 2 more before care is terminated. I understand biting is not always something that can be fixed that easily, but I don't want the liability of him biting anyone, especially the infant.
Well, if you end up terming, give her my number. I am not afraid of a biter, and I have an opening...
Old 02-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Well, if you end up terming, give her my number. I am not afraid of a biter, and I have an opening...
I absolutely will.