Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Little Tricks of The Trade
crazydaycarelady 08:58 AM 12-10-2012
The haircut thread got me thinking of ways that we, as DCPs, have adapted to get things done. Like putting a clip in a dcboys hair to prompt a haircut. I thought it might be fun to share other tricks of the trade.

~ If I have a family that will never provide an extra outfit I will put the wrong gender clothes on when a kid has an accident, like a boy will go home in pink sweatpants. I usually have a spare set of clothes after that!

~ If a family keeps forgetting diapers I will write "X needs diapers" on the diaper the kid goes home in.

~ (This is a recent one) If a family keeps bringng their kid without a coat (in December in Montana for crying out loud!) I post pictures on my dc facebook page of the other dckids havng a blast outside in the snow.

I know these ploys are passive-agressive but seriously, reminders go unheard and sometimes the point needs to be brought home before the parents will act on it.
Blackcat31 09:14 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
The haircut thread got me thinking of ways that we, as DCPs, have adapted to get things done. Like putting a clip in a dcboys hair to prompt a haircut. I thought it might be fun to share other tricks of the trade.

~ If I have a family that will never provide an extra outfit I will put the wrong gender clothes on when a kid has an accident, like a boy will go home in pink sweatpants. I usually have a spare set of clothes after that!

~ If a family keeps forgetting diapers I will write "X needs diapers" on the diaper the kid goes home in.

~ (This is a recent one) If a family keeps bringng their kid without a coat (in December in Montana for crying out loud!) I post pictures on my dc facebook page of the other dckids havng a blast outside in the snow.

I know these ploys are passive-agressive but seriously, reminders go unheard and sometimes the point needs to be brought home before the parents will act on it.
In this business you gotta do what you gotta do as long as it works for you.

For me personally, I choose NOT to let anything that isn't MY personal responsibility be MY problem to fix. For example here is how I handle the list of issues you mentioned above.

~ If I have a family that will never provide an extra outfit I do NOT allow them to stay. ALL children are required to have spare clothing as outlined in the contract. (I used to send them home in clothing that said "STOLEN from XX's Child Care" on them really big but decided it NOT my problem and the parent can simply bring the necessary items.

~ If a family keeps forgetting diapers their child will again, be turned away at the door. I require parents to bring a supply of diapers and I let them know when they are half way through their supply. They have plenty of time to remember to bring them. If not, no services are provided. Again, NOT my problem....it is a parental responsibilty.

~ If a family keeps bringng their kid without a coat Showing up without the required supplies, means they cannot stay. period.

Other ways I have learned to deal with thing sin this profession are to really be thorough about my expectations during the interview process and make sure parents fully understand the consequences of not following my policies.

My job is to provide care for their children. Their job is to provide their child with the necessay requirements without fail as that is what parenting is all about.

I am NOT a nanny, a babysitter or a family friend who does favors or goes above and beyond what I agreed to provide in my contract without monetary gains.

You said "I know these ploys are passive-agressive but seriously, reminders go unheard and sometimes the point needs to be brought home before the parents will act on it" which I fully understand but I just can't go the passive-aggressive route as to me that is just as bad as parents who do the same rather than just be clear about your needs and expectations.
Solandia 09:22 AM 12-10-2012
Thick tights are awesome. I required them from all my daycare families for the kids (i have only had 2 daycare girls in my 10.5yrs, so this was primarily for boys).

I use them under snowpants instead of jeans & socks. NO bunched up socks in the toes of the boots. No bare ankles. For the crawlers during spring/fall the tights go OVER their pants and socks to add a layer and to keep their clothes from being snagged up/dirty or otherwise ruined. I can put tights on toddlers arms/over their hands under mittens (worn like a shrug, so the 'seat' part of the tights is across the back). It keeps mitten on, little wrists warm.
melilley 09:56 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by Solandia:
Thick tights are awesome. I required them from all my daycare families for the kids (i have only had 2 daycare girls in my 10.5yrs, so this was primarily for boys).

I use them under snowpants instead of jeans & socks. NO bunched up socks in the toes of the boots. No bare ankles. For the crawlers during spring/fall the tights go OVER their pants and socks to add a layer and to keep their clothes from being snagged up/dirty or otherwise ruined. I can put tights on toddlers arms/over their hands under mittens (worn like a shrug, so the 'seat' part of the tights is across the back). It keeps mitten on, little wrists warm.
Great idea! Did any of the families give you problems because they didn't want their boys wearing the tights?....in the past I have had military families (mostly the dads) get very mad at their boy wearing girl items...even when just playing in the pretend center!
Solandia 11:52 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by melilley:
Great idea! Did any of the families give you problems because they didn't want their boys wearing the tights?....in the past I have had military families (mostly the dads) get very mad at their boy wearing girl items...even when just playing in the pretend center!
i was surprised, I only have had a couple dads say "really?", but then got over it really quickly when they realized it wasn't an option. I take your kid out in the snow almost every day....deal with my quirks on this. It is very easy to find solid black or navy tights at Walmart...they have the bulk bins of them for like $2 a pair. All the boys had navy or black. One 4yo called them his "dancing socks", and absolutely insisted on having some at home, for outside play. He didn't like his jeans under his snowpants (they scrunched up his most important parts, he said. lol). I think almost any dad will understand the not pinching the junk part of it.
Scout 05:59 PM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by melilley:
I picked up my little guy a Calliou doll...dh didn't care. Looked at me like I was nuts but, didn't say no. 2 of my dcbs see commercials on tv for & say "that's for girls". I tell them "yes, it is but, boys can play with it too." They still don't get it!
Scout 06:01 PM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by Solandia:

I also like this. I am too new to give any suggestions, but love the ones I am seeing!
Fruitloops1 12:41 PM 12-11-2012
I dont mess around with diapers. If I am out and they forget then the kid cant stay. I told a few parents that they will be turned away from the door if they come w/o diapers. I give parents quite a few reminders. When they are halfway, then after that I do a count down. "Johnny only has 20 diapers left" On and on. Usually at about half way they bring more. Some parents () bring supplies every month on the same day w/o me asking.
I don't have extra clothes. But just yesterday I sent a little one home in poopy pants because they had an explosion and they didn't give me extra's like I asked. It happened later in the day and they were laying on a puppy training pad. I didn't give the training pad to the parent.
JenNJ 12:50 PM 12-11-2012
- I take their shirts off for meals when it is something really messy like yogurt or marinara sauce.

- I do the opposite gender clothes trick too.

- If you give your kid nasty food all weekend and I deal with gross, stinky, nasty diapers on Monday -- I make sure we have Mexican Friday. Black beans, corn, spices, etc. I follow it with blueberries for snack.

- If you continually pick up at the very.last.second, I will wait on the porch for you and leave my home while you are still in the driveway. I close at 5pm, that doesn't mean you can show up at 5pm, it means you must be GONE by 5pm.

- If you don't nap your kid all weekend and they are miserable on Monday, I will call you to pick up if they are mean and nasty because they are tired.
crazydaycarelady 12:53 PM 12-11-2012
Haha.....I sometimes beat my parents out of my driveway too!
Reply Up