Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Posting While During the Day
Unregistered 11:26 AM 05-30-2015
I'm signed out because I think this might get some heat, but I've been wondering this and a training my state required made me think of this. The presenter said we should never be on our phones or surfing the web while children our in our care, even if the parents are early or late. You know, something could happen in a second even during nap. I notice when I post at night, there's there's always a ton of posts from the day time. Do you post on here when you have children in your care? I don't.
Heidi 11:45 AM 05-30-2015
I'm self employed. As long as there is no regulation baring me from being on my phone or online during the day, I will continue to do so. If I wanted someone micro-managing everything I do, I could have stayed in banking.

Honestly, I realize there's some liability. There's also risk in doing ANYTHING other than sitting and literally watching the children every second. Doing dishes, throwing in laundry, attending to paperwork, watching TV during nap, reading a book. If something happened to a child, we would be asked what we were doing. Probably, no answer short of "I was sitting in the semi-dark, observing the children as they slept" would be acceptable in someone's eyes.

My friend had 2 children strip and check each other out while she was helping another in the bathroom. She self-reported and still got cited for lack of supervision.

Personally, no outside contact at all for me during the day would put the children in MORE danger than me being on the phone or online. I'd go bananas, and probably "lose" it. Especially in February or early March in WI.
nannyde 11:52 AM 05-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm signed out because I think this might get some heat, but I've been wondering this and a training my state required made me think of this. The presenter said we should never be on our phones or surfing the web while children our in our care, even if the parents are early or late. You know, something could happen in a second even during nap. I notice when I post at night, there's there's always a ton of posts from the day time. Do you post on here when you have children in your care? I don't.
Tell the presenter when she is willing to pay my self employment tax and my unemployment insurance she can tell me what I can do while I work as a self employed provider.

There's ALWAYS been available distractions to parents and child care providers while caring for kids. The cell phone isn't any different than books, talking on the phone, tv, or better yet, the provider or parents own children.

If these kids need a dedicated adult that only foes them then the price for only doing them must be paid. You don't get that for two to four dollars an hour.

If it's unsafe for providers to be on their phones then it's unsafe for parents. Make laws for both and then we will talk.

If a kid is injured under my care I am responsible. If I'm making lunch and the kid gets hurt... it's on me. If I'm conferencing with a parent and a kid gets hurt, it's on me. If I'm cleaning a massive blow out and a kid gets hurt, it's on me.

The state isn't in the business of ensuring I'm never distracted or they would do inspections off hours. If it's ok for them to come in and tax my attention while I'm caring for kids then me being on my phone is ok. It's WAY less distracting to be on my phone than hosting parents or inspectors.
Leigh 12:05 PM 05-30-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Tell the presenter when she is willing to pay my self employment tax and my unemployment insurance she can tell me what I can do while I work as a self employed provider.

There's ALWAYS been available distractions to parents and child care providers while caring for kids. The cell phone isn't any different than books, talking on the phone, tv, or better yet, the provider or parents own children.

If these kids need a dedicated adult that only foes them then the price for only doing them must be paid. You don't get that for two to four dollars an hour.

If it's unsafe for providers to be on their phones then it's unsafe for parents. Make laws for both and then we will talk.

If a kid is injured under my care I am responsible. If I'm making lunch and the kid gets hurt... it's on me. If I'm conferencing with a parent and a kid gets hurt, it's on me. If I'm cleaning a massive blow out and a kid gets hurt, it's on me.

The state isn't in the business of ensuring I'm never distracted or they would do inspections off hours. If it's ok for them to come in and tax my attention while I'm caring for kids then me being on my phone is ok. It's WAY less distracting to be on my phone than hosting parents or inspectors.

Amen.
CraftyMom 12:08 PM 05-30-2015

Exactly! They could be here for an hour or more and just keep talking away like I have nothing else to do....but THAT is ok?
Controlled Chaos 01:10 PM 05-30-2015
I try to limit my phone and computer play to nap time. BUT sometimes I need to feel connected to other adults for a second.
Play Care 01:12 PM 05-30-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I'm self employed. As long as there is no regulation baring me from being on my phone or online during the day, I will continue to do so. If I wanted someone micro-managing everything I do, I could have stayed in banking.

Honestly, I realize there's some liability. There's also risk in doing ANYTHING other than sitting and literally watching the children every second. Doing dishes, throwing in laundry, attending to paperwork, watching TV during nap, reading a book. If something happened to a child, we would be asked what we were doing. Probably, no answer short of "I was sitting in the semi-dark, observing the children as they slept" would be acceptable in someone's eyes.

My friend had 2 children strip and check each other out while she was helping another in the bathroom. She self-reported and still got cited for lack of supervision.

Personally, no outside contact at all for me during the day would put the children in MORE danger than me being on the phone or online. I'd go bananas, and probably "lose" it. Especially in February or early March in WI.

I typically refuse to come to my "work site" when I am "off" (I was bored today during a rain delay at the little league field )
Now, are the kids running wild while I Facebook and email? No. I typically post during naps (not sure what is expected? The day I'm told have to sit with napping kids and watch them sleep is the day I turn in my license)
Are there providers who probably should be watching the kids and they are not? Sure. But then, that would be the case regardless of what the distraction was...
mommyneedsadayoff 01:24 PM 05-30-2015
I go online and read threads, post, or surf pinterest whenever I feel like it and have the time. If the kids are busy playing, eating, doing art projects, or whatever and I have a minute to check out what is going on here and on FB, I do it and I don't feel bad about it. My computer (and my phone) are right in the middle of everything, so the children are always supervised, but I am not going to literally sit and stare at them all day to ensure their well being. And the funny thing is whenever I check FB, almost all of my friends who work regular office jobs are online too. They are not just sitting at their desk all day crunching numbers...they need a minute to disconnect from their job too, and while we cannot totally disconnect, since we work with kiddos, scrolling online for a few minutes is sort of like my water cooler break
Thriftylady 01:24 PM 05-30-2015
If I have a need, or it is during a time when I am hands on with the kiddos, then no I am not online. But if things are quiet at nap time or other times I see no need to restrict me. Such as when my SA kids do homework and they are the only kids here. If they need my help, I help them but if they are working on homework independently who says I can't post here? I do not accept someone telling me how to do my job or run my business unless or course they are paying me, and even then I can tell them to move on if I choose.
Josiegirl 01:43 PM 05-30-2015
I surf the internet during naptime. I make phone calls if I have to while they're here. Most doctors' offices, etc. close by the time kids leave. I even go to the bathroom while they're here. He!!, you can turn to look at 1 dck and something happens to another in that instant. That whole mindset of constantly having your attention on everybody every single second is absurdly unrealistic. I'll bet even if the ratio was 1:1, something would happen. Unless you carried each child all day long.
Yes, things do happen. It's called life. I'm not saying we can neglect them or ignore them or just send 'em all outside during the day while we sit on our butts and eat Ben and Jerry's(which I prefer over bon-bons).

As with a lot of the regulations the state holds over our heads nowadays, I feel this one to be unrealistic.

I feel the majority of us here do the very best we can with what we have. We're always striving for new ideas, suggestions, ways to do this or that that's better for the children we can for. Look at us, a lot of us are here on weekends still thinking, working, living child care. The state wants us to become sterile higher learning institutions, teaching their child geometry by kindergarten and brushing their teeth after every single time they eat anything. Do parents do this? Do the schools do this? And they've all got staff, aides, partners to help them. Lots of us are alone doing it ourselves. Most places of employment grant their employees breaks during the day. Isn't that a law? Do we get any breaks? No, so we have to look for the quietest moments in our day to make a call, breathe a little, reach out for support.

Going back to read this over, I'll probably sound like a Class A bit@h but it's nothing against the OP question. It's because I'm getting so sick of the state always breathing down our necks, telling us how to run our business, what exactly we have to do, what's not allowed, You have to feed the kids certain things, you even should hang certain posters of pictures(if you're in STARS). I even went to a training once where the presenter suggested when we sing Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, we change it to something else because of the usage of monkeys. Gimme a break. At least it isn't a rule yet.

Things were oh so different back 30 years ago. And I don't feel I did a bad job of teaching my firstborn without all these rules and regulations. He graduated 4.0 and is a very intelligent, honorable, respectable human being. And I don't teach the dcks anything less now.

*sigh* I might be done venting about the state now.
Silly Songs 02:11 PM 05-30-2015
As center employee I can tell you that we will be in major trouble if we are using our phones , even during nap !
That makes sense for us . We are being paid by the center and have to abide by their rules . Their rules are usually set by licensing / state guidelines for centers . Yes , some co workers sneak to look at their phones . They do allow us to leave the room if we want to make a phone call , but someone else comes in our room to cover for us . ( if we aren't in ratio )
Controlled Chaos 02:19 PM 05-30-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I surf the internet during naptime. I make phone calls if I have to while they're here. Most doctors' offices, etc. close by the time kids leave. I even go to the bathroom while they're here. He!!, you can turn to look at 1 dck and something happens to another in that instant. That whole mindset of constantly having your attention on everybody every single second is absurdly unrealistic. I'll bet even if the ratio was 1:1, something would happen. Unless you carried each child all day long.
Yes, things do happen. It's called life. I'm not saying we can neglect them or ignore them or just send 'em all outside during the day while we sit on our butts and eat Ben and Jerry's(which I prefer over bon-bons).

As with a lot of the regulations the state holds over our heads nowadays, I feel this one to be unrealistic.

I feel the majority of us here do the very best we can with what we have. We're always striving for new ideas, suggestions, ways to do this or that that's better for the children we can for. Look at us, a lot of us are here on weekends still thinking, working, living child care. The state wants us to become sterile higher learning institutions, teaching their child geometry by kindergarten and brushing their teeth after every single time they eat anything. Do parents do this? Do the schools do this? And they've all got staff, aides, partners to help them. Lots of us are alone doing it ourselves. Most places of employment grant their employees breaks during the day. Isn't that a law? Do we get any breaks? No, so we have to look for the quietest moments in our day to make a call, breathe a little, reach out for support.

Going back to read this over, I'll probably sound like a Class A bit@h but it's nothing against the OP question. It's because I'm getting so sick of the state always breathing down our necks, telling us how to run our business, what exactly we have to do, what's not allowed, You have to feed the kids certain things, you even should hang certain posters of pictures(if you're in STARS). I even went to a training once where the presenter suggested when we sing Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, we change it to something else because of the usage of monkeys. Gimme a break. At least it isn't a rule yet.

Things were oh so different back 30 years ago. And I don't feel I did a bad job of teaching my firstborn without all these rules and regulations. He graduated 4.0 and is a very intelligent, honorable, respectable human being. And I don't teach the dcks anything less now.

*sigh* I might be done venting about the state now.
What's wrong with monkeys?!
Unregistered 03:30 PM 05-30-2015
I'm not being sarcastic: seriously, what is wrong with monkeys ?? What!?
Unregistered 04:03 PM 05-30-2015
We r only allowed to use our phones during naptime unless it is an emergency.
Laurel 05:32 PM 05-30-2015

If I sat in the semi dark watching children sleep, I would fall asleep myself even sitting up.

I actually had my computer in the nap room. I would put youtube lullaby music on and once they fell asleep, I could surf.

As long as I kept checking on them I felt free to go in other rooms also.

I can't imagine not answering the phone. What if it is a parent or doctor's office and you can't get them in the evening? Dumb rule if there is such a rule.

Laurel
Unregistered 05:54 PM 05-30-2015
The presenter said we should have a separate line for childcare use only. The presenter has said seeing posts from facebook has helped prove things. If the parents say a provider is doing something, the state can say the provider is posting something on facebook while the child is there and it proves they are negligent.
Josiegirl 06:00 PM 05-30-2015
I'm not being sarcastic: seriously, what is wrong with monkeys ?? What!?
Because it could be considered slang and derogatory for African-Americans.
bklsmum 06:23 PM 05-30-2015
I post and surf when I have the time during the day and I think that is perfectly fine.
e.j. 06:42 PM 05-30-2015
The presenter said we should have a separate line for childcare use only. The presenter has said seeing posts from facebook has helped prove things. If the parents say a provider is doing something, the state can say the provider is posting something on facebook while the child is there and it proves they are negligent.
I do read and sometimes reply to posts on this forum during nap time and will continue to do so for all of the reasons stated by everyone else. I can see where the highlighted info above makes sense, though.
nannyde 06:56 PM 05-30-2015
That is if a child is harmed. Then whatever the caretaker, be it parent, provider, auntie, granny, etc is responsible.

There can't be an assumption that if a provider is on the computer, phone, watching tv, reading a book etc that the children are being neglected. If that were the case then that would go for ANYONE supervising children. Money being exchanged doesn't make an identical action negligent.

If adults supervising kids can't do anything that distracts them from the constant visual, proximal, auditory supervision of the kids because it is neglectful then it has to apply to ANYONE who has ANY child at ANY time.

There isn't a single statistics I know of that correlates child care injuries with cell phone usage. I'm not aware of that statistic with tv, talking on the phone, book reading etc. If there are actual research statistics that show this then why aren't they being taught in child care classes?

Where's the beef? Where is the trainer getting her information?

New York state banned all electronics from providers except for emergencies. They found CENTER workers were on their phones DURING inspections and then punished HOME providers for their actions. They banned center workers too BUT the center owners wanted it. They couldn't KEEP employees unless they allowed the phones. Now they have the state banning them so when they fire the employee they can win the unemployment claim.

They had no right banning them from SELF employed home daycare providers. I promise you no home provider would be playing candy crush during an inspection.

I've always had something else to do while I took care of kids. I would go nuts if I didn't. I watched CNN for years, then Court TV, then the internet came along and now cell phone. I've ran a cookie dough business, sold kids clothes on Ebay, and ran a consulting business while I watched kids.

I have NEVER had a kid injured in my care in my entire career. Not once has a kid gone from my house to a doctor because of something that happened under my care. Never once. I have the original pack of band aids I started with in 93. I have a virtually untouched first aid bag I got when I was a school nurse in the early nineties that I used for my daycare.

I don't need the state telling me what I need to do to supervise kids. I know what I can and can't do to keep them safe.
Movingforward 10:08 PM 05-30-2015
I see what you are saying but in our break-less day, I feel like it's ok to use the phone. I use my phone to log children's activities for parents so I use my phone for work and personal use when children are resting. If you don't use the phone during working hours, great! but coming onto this forum helps me decompress during the day
Play Care 05:14 AM 05-31-2015
The average home provider nets less than $15,000 a year. Having a separate line isn't feasible for a good majority of us. I think its another example of a training where the presenter is completely out of touch with the reality of most in home providers.

And I also in the camp of so what if a provider happened to post on Facebook during the day? Why do they need to "prove" anything if a child wasn't injured while in their care?
I have a DC Facebook page that I do update thoughout the day. To get to it, I have to log on to Facebook. So by the presenters train of logic, I'm facebooking during the day - even though I not really on for personal reasons. Slippery slope.
Luvnmykidz 06:25 AM 05-31-2015
The thought that providers should be held to a complete different standard than parents is growing more ridiculous each day. There are a ton of rules "They" would like to enforce, but it's saddening to me. A local provider mentioned to me her specialist stated in a few years there would be some major changes in regs for us. Some of them are no electronics, social networks, or phone use (except for emergencies ) during daycare hours. We must brush teeth 2 times a day because the rate of children with dental issues has increased. Parents will need to be contacted when a child hasn't shown up for the day, to ensure the child is safe. We already sttay on parents to keep their child's physicals and shot records up to date. Smh. There are a few others as well. My thing is when is anyone going to hold the parents responsible for anything. Kids come in from the weekends with bumps, bruises, diaper rashes, on extreme sugar highs, poor nutrition on the weekends, and sometimes teeth look like they haven't been brushed since Friday. Why must we check on parents when they haven't placed a child in to care for the day. Are parents that bad off that they need an adult to micromanage them as well? If we put the responsibilities back on the parents I'm sure things will change, but as long as we keep taking the responsibilities away and putting them on providers it will continue to worsen. It's contradicting as well. No phone use, but check on kids who haven't shown up. No Internet use, but stay focused on your specialist who comes to do an inspection during the middle of a group activity where it's clear attention shouldn't be diverted. Its just bogus to me, that so much is blamed on providers, and so much is expected of providers. And it's all supposed to be done for less than minimum wage. Wow ! Sorry this is so long. There's so much more I want to say but I will stop now.
Josiegirl 06:43 AM 05-31-2015
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
The thought that providers should be held to a complete different standard than parents is growing more ridiculous each day. There are a ton of rules "They" would like to enforce, but it's saddening to me. A local provider mentioned to me her specialist stated in a few years there would be some major changes in regs for us. Some of them are no electronics, social networks, or phone use (except for emergencies ) during daycare hours. We must brush teeth 2 times a day because the rate of children with dental issues has increased. Parents will need to be contacted when a child hasn't shown up for the day, to ensure the child is safe. We already sttay on parents to keep their child's physicals and shot records up to date. Smh. There are a few others as well. My thing is when is anyone going to hold the parents responsible for anything. Kids come in from the weekends with bumps, bruises, diaper rashes, on extreme sugar highs, poor nutrition on the weekends, and sometimes teeth look like they haven't been brushed since Friday. Why must we check on parents when they haven't placed a child in to care for the day. Are parents that bad off that they need an adult to micromanage them as well? If we put the responsibilities back on the parents I'm sure things will change, but as long as we keep taking the responsibilities away and putting them on providers it will continue to worsen. It's contradicting as well. No phone use, but check on kids who haven't shown up. No Internet use, but stay focused on your specialist who comes to do an inspection during the middle of a group activity where it's clear attention shouldn't be diverted. Its just bogus to me, that so much is blamed on providers, and so much is expected of providers. And it's all supposed to be done for less than minimum wage. Wow ! Sorry this is so long. There's so much more I want to say but I will stop now.
I soooo agree with you!!! Some of the regs.(and new ones coming) are terribly unrealistic it's not even funny.
And now all the local providers are getting calls encouraging them to offer prek in their daycare homes. "It's just something to think about" we're told. Wonder when it will be required.
Are they even thinking about what's best for the kids themselves anymore? Or just want to earn their money by creating more regulations and rules that are almost impossible to follow?
Oh and I heard our new regs(which are predicted to go into effect fall 2016)will require brushing teeth 3x a day or after every single time they eat anything.
Please, all you state officials, THROW THE BOOK AWAY and just let us care for, teach, love, all these lil kiddos. We already teach them all day long but endless regulations are stressing out the majority of providers and keeping us from doing what's important here.
Family Day Care is equivalent to caring and helping to raise others' children as if they were your own. And I sure as he!! don't remember my mom bleaching the dinner table before we all sat down to eat, or washing the floor every single night, rushing into the bathroom after breakfast, lunch snack, dinner to brush our teeth. If anything it probably hardened up my immune system.

Well dang, ya got me started again.
Josiegirl 06:49 AM 05-31-2015
And as far as injuries, yes I've used bandaids, kids have gotten goose eggs, black and blues, scratches, scrapes, normal day to day playing boo-boos.
On their parents' time?? They've gotten broken bones, sprained ankles, burns, etc.
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 05-31-2015
OP, does your trainer say you can't go to the bathroom during the day too?
talk with parents?
prepare meals/snacks?
change a diaper?
hug/talk with an individual child?
answer the door or phone?
record meals (because that's a requirement for food program participants)
document observations?
turn your back for anything while kids are present?
breath?

I'm sorry but this isn't even a topic worth discussing IMO.

If you (personally, as an individual provider) do not feel that you can multi-task a million and one things at the same time, then this is the wrong line of work for you.
Unregistered 08:03 AM 05-31-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
talk with parents?
prepare meals/snacks?
change a diaper?
document observations?
breath?

If you (personally, as an individual provider) do not feel that you can multi-task a million and one things at the same time, then this is the wrong line of work for you.
The presenter did cover these things. About parents, we are to stand facing the children and have a brief conversation and if it goes over a certain time say that we appreciate their concern, but we have other children to monitor and must focus on them. If something else needs to be addressed feel free to call/email/came in person after (whatever time the last child leaves). That was the primary message. Always find a way to be viewing all of the children even if it means rearrange your whole center. Like if your diaper table is where you can't see someone, move it and don't have it in the bathroom. Also, to wash the children's hands after you diaper them. They also said make everyone sit by the bathroom when one has to go, because if the state comes in and sees you helping one in the bathroom they say no one is watching the other children.
MarinaVanessa 08:42 AM 05-31-2015
They also said make everyone sit by the bathroom when one has to go, because if the state comes in and sees you helping one in the bathroom they say no one is watching the other children.
OMGosh, the ridiculous of this all .

"Okay little Suzie, Jimmy and Timmy ... I need you all to sit here by the bathroom so Samantha can go to the bathroom. No no Suzie, sit here. I know you're only 16 months old but remember, licensing said you must sit here and not move until Samantha is done. Timmy I know you want to play with the trucks honey and I know that you're 3 years old and developmentally wise you're still unable to sit still in the same spot unless you're distracted or playing with something but remember, licensing said so. "

I mean, come on. Really? This might work in a center classroom or a family child care home that has two or more caregivers but it's not realistic to think that a mixed age group of kids that range from ages infants to 5 years old will sit still in the same spot while the child takes 5-7 minutes in the bathroom.

Of a presenter told me this in a training I would seriously laugh and I know I wouldn't be the only one either. Then I'd ask her to show me where in the regulations this was. You won't find it there by the way, because it doesn't exist. It's a recommendation of everything wonderful they want us to be but unless they hand us magic wands or our incomes go up by at least double so that we can hire an extra set of hands these "recommendations" are unrealistic and down right impossible if you ask me.

I'd much rather have the children playing and focused on something while I help someone in the bathroom rather than have them bored while I'm occupied. It just seems more likely to be disastrous to force them to sit still with nothing to do which developmentally they aren't prepared to do until they're well into their school age years.
Josiegirl 09:06 AM 05-31-2015
Haha yeh, I can picture all my littles sitting waiting for a dck to go potty, ain't gonna happen.

OP how do YOU feel about all those recommendations and how did it go over in the training you attended?

I will admit I don't use my computer unless they're all laying down during quiet time. But that's as good as it gets for me.
nannyde 09:36 AM 05-31-2015
The presenter did cover these things. About parents, we are to stand facing the children and have a brief conversation and if it goes over a certain time say that we appreciate their concern, but we have other children to monitor and must focus on them. If something else needs to be addressed feel free to call/email/came in person after (whatever time the last child leaves). That was the primary message. Always find a way to be viewing all of the children even if it means rearrange your whole center. Like if your diaper table is where you can't see someone, move it and don't have it in the bathroom. Also, to wash the children's hands after you diaper them. They also said make everyone sit by the bathroom when one has to go, because if the state comes in and sees you helping one in the bathroom they say no one is watching the other children.
Wow that would be a significant amount of time outside of the bathroom every day sitting.

I don't know what else to think other than somehow the value of the children just rises to heavenly heights when someone is getting three bucks an hour to house them, feed them, supervise them, and do all the housekeeping things for them... but when they are with ANYONE else their value just plummets.

Why does money make these kids safety so high that they literally have to have an adult within feet of them looking directly at them all day long? Where in any other society does this happen?

Once the kid goes to kindy they are in a group of hundreds of kids on the playground with a few adults. What happens when it's free? Their value plummets again.

This kind of care is NANNY care. It is not group care. If the government wants this they can't pay a state paid kid at $2.22 an hour like they do in Iowa. They are asking us to do this level of care for FREE.

NO

We are not in the business of doing EVERYTHING we can do to keep kids safe. We allow them to be transported in cars. That's not safe. We allow them to ride in airplanes.. that's not safe. We allow them to ride in strollers with their backs to whoever is pushing them... that's not safe. We allow them to sleep at night without laws that REQUIRE the parent have SOMEONE awake every minute watching their chest rise and fall... that's not safe. We allow parents to drive them in cars without someone watching them in the back seat of the car... that's not safe. We allow them to climb play equipment... that's not safe. We allow them to skateboard and ride bikes.. that's not safe. We allow them to eat food that has to be chewed... that's not safe.

If we are going to set the standard of safety that they must have adults eyes on them EVERY minute of their life then we need to expect parents and SCHOOLS to do the same thing. Have an adult outside for EVERY kid on the playground so they can be spotted every minute. None of this three adults to a hundred kid ratio. Require parents have an adult for EVERY kid they take to the playground to spot them and be within inches with every trip down the slide and up the stairwell. Require it for their entire minute to minute NOT just when the caretaker is getting a couple of bucks an hour.
Unregistered 11:43 AM 05-31-2015
I don't think the point is how do you feel about it, the point is that's the law in my area. If not being on the computer keeps me from losing my license or going to jail, I'm for it. A few of the elderly providers complained, but the presenter made it very clear the state is for the family/children. We're not going to be cut any slack even if the parent is no angel. Some asked something about parents and gave examples of bad behavior. One including eating junk food that the parents brought and the presenter wasn't phased.
Annalee 11:51 AM 05-31-2015
talk with parents?
prepare meals/snacks?
change a diaper?
document observations?
breath?

I think "multi-task" is the key word here! Child care providers know their limits and can multi-task like no one in any other profession. And YES, I did NOT think this needed discussed when I read it yesterday but wanted to say a HEARTY AMEN to your post!
Laurel 12:11 PM 05-31-2015
I don't think the point is how do you feel about it, the point is that's the law in my area. If not being on the computer keeps me from losing my license or going to jail, I'm for it. A few of the elderly providers complained, but the presenter made it very clear the state is for the family/children. We're not going to be cut any slack even if the parent is no angel. Some asked something about parents and gave examples of bad behavior. One including eating junk food that the parents brought and the presenter wasn't phased.
I think yours is the case of either an overzealous presenter/inspector/laws or bad laws.

I had an inspector once (called monitors here) who said the same thing about the bathroom. When I asked her how it was possible to take everyone with me when we went to the bathroom she suggested that I keep the door open (which I did anyway) and have all the other toddlers sit outside the door in the hallway. Then sing a song and supposedly they would all sing along while I was helping someone potty. Well, #1 they are not usually allowed in that hallway (that leads to the bedrooms as well) so they were up exploring where the hall went, trying to open bedroom doors, etc. It was a virtual free for all. So was I supposed to keep them all sitting down (which was next to impossible anyway) or let the potty child fall in the potty or dip their hands in it or unroll the toilet paper roll. Hey I'm only one person lady!!!!

One thing you could do is form a group of providers and fight bad/unfair regulations. That is how our provider's child care association was started. It was started because we needed to fight unfair regulations and it worked.

I wouldn't post on facebook because it could be traced. So could this site but much more hard to do. How is an inspector to know that I don't have my sub watching the kiddies while I am online???

Another thing another provider told us at our provider meeting was to ask to see a regulation in writing. Usually that stops them in their tracks if they are just interpreting something their own way. Although I wouldn't recommend challenging them too much if it is really important and you feel you are being wronged you can ask them to put in writing what they want you to do and you can go over their head. That is risky but I've known providers that did and the guy in charge was really very fair so it worked out. Risky though.

Laurel
Heidi 02:02 PM 05-31-2015
OP-

I'm not sure what state your in, but I would check your actual regulations. ANY time someone tells you "this is the rule....", speak up. "I wasn't aware of this regulation, can you show it to me, please?"

Then, either they will, or they will say "this is a suggestion". In either case, smile, nod, and say "thank you".

If it's a regulation, you'll have to follow it or risk the consequences. If it's not, use your own judgement.

In WI, family childcare requires sight OR sound supervision. If something actually happens to a child, they will question lack of supervision every time. You could literally be watching a child climb on a chair, say "please sit down", and as they fall, run across the room trying to catch them as they whop their lip on the chair. Call the parent, parent takes child to doctor, doctor say's lets put a couple stitches in there since it's the lip, and we would be cited for lack of supervision.

I don't base my every moment of every day on the idea of that possibility. I supervise children, I guide children, and I even allow them to take risks (within reason). It could cost me something in the long run, but to deny them the opportunities to learn from their mistakes will most certainly cost THEM in the long run.

As far as how I spend my time; my business, my decision (just like everything else around here, including following regs). I choose to follow regulations; but the day they make these things regs is the day I either go down to legally unregulated or just go underground. Oddly enough, that is one thing our state doesn't seem overly concerned about; illegal providers.

On a side note, if I owned a center, I would not allow my employees to use phones or electronics. First of all, I am not employing someone to play around. Second, my brief experience with an assistant who does not have the investment I do in my business has shown me that people who have access to "play" of any sort during work hours tend to be much more focused on that than their jobs. I thought only teenagers would actually try to sweep one handed while texting, but apparently, I was wrong.
Josiegirl 02:04 PM 05-31-2015
I would really like to know how they handle such supervision requirements in the school system? Especially now that prek will be more the norm rather than exception? I realize they'll probably have an assistant or 2 but still, you're never going to get their amount of required supervision unless you get one on one. And on the playground??? Can you imagine??

I feel it has all gotten way out of hand.

I can see where computer time or tv or yacking all day on the cellphone isn't good work conduct. For anyone. But there has to be a happy medium that makes good common sense.
nannyde 02:06 PM 05-31-2015
You must be in New York. I'm not aware of any other state that has these regs.
Blackcat31 03:00 PM 05-31-2015
Like if your diaper table is where you can't see someone, move it and don't have it in the bathroom.
Move it where? Sanitary rules state changing areas need to be next to running water... I don't have a garden hose in my living room and changing areas should NEVER be near food prep or eating areas so where does this presenter suggest it get moved too?

They also said make everyone sit by the bathroom when one has to go,
Making everyone sit next to the bathroom and wait while Baby Joey gets his diaper changed is ridiculous and in some states could be considered "confinement" as I don't know many kids under age 5 that would enjoy sitting next to the bathroom and waiting multiple times a day.

If I had 5 kids in diapers and changed them 5 times a day that is 25 diaper changes and if each diaper change took say 5 minutes, then my kids would spend a total of 2 hours and 5 minutes "waiting".

Then add in the amount of time I have to have them wait while my toilet trained kids all use the bathroom....they'd have to wait there too because I would have to be supervising the one using the bathroom....

The kids would pretty much spend all day waiting and not doing anything else.

At that rate, they might as well just go to work with their parent and sit in the corner with the i-pad for company... it seems like it would be more fun....and cheaper for the parents.

because if the state comes in and sees you helping one in the bathroom they say no one is watching the other children.
Thank goodness I don't live in your state.

Honestly, I am not trying to be rude but this presenter is a whack-a-doo and (you can tell her I said that too) because I challenge her to spend a single day doing what any of the providers on this board do WHILE observing her/his "suggestions".

He/She wouldn't make it until lunch time let alone nap.

If you paid for that class/training, I'd ask for my money back.
Blackcat31 03:03 PM 05-31-2015
I don't think the point is how do you feel about it, the point is that's the law in my area. If not being on the computer keeps me from losing my license or going to jail, I'm for it. A few of the elderly providers complained, but the presenter made it very clear the state is for the family/children.
Can you post the link showing where this is the state LAW.

If you don't want to post your state openly, PM me.

I'd like to read how they phrased all this in the state licensing rules/regulations.
Heidi 04:39 PM 05-31-2015

I'd like to read how they phrased all this in the state licensing rules/regulations.
Me too.
Josiegirl 04:42 PM 05-31-2015
Me too.
I'd certainly be interested also. It simply isn't logical.
Sunshine74 05:30 PM 05-31-2015

I haven't commented, but I've been following, and I am also interested. Even if you just copy the section of the regulations that state this.
LysesKids 05:35 PM 05-31-2015
I'd certainly be interested also. It simply isn't logical.
I would also like to know how they could try and enforce it for legally license exempt providers... something just doesn't add up
Febby 07:53 PM 05-31-2015
Inspectors in my state have been known to cite centers for staff using their phones. But I've also heard of them citing centers because there was a child behind a staff members back. They it's covered by the reg of children needing to be within range of sight AND sound. So their logic is that if the children are behind your back (or if you're looking at something), then they're not within range of sight. Of course, that's completely impractical, but...

That reg doesn't apply to home daycares so I'm not sure whether or not they would still get in trouble with licensing for cell phone use.
Unregistered 08:45 PM 05-31-2015
Because it could be considered slang and derogatory for African-Americans.
Seriously? What. is. wrong. with.people? Constantly being offended by stupid crap is not helping the government stay out of our business. If you're calling an African American person a monkey to be nasty to them, I could see it. But singing about monkeys on a bed (and the book illustrates actual animals) hardly has ANYTHING to do with the African American race, and anyone who thinks so needs serious help. This PC crap is out of hand. Free speech when it isn't even directed at anyone in a derogatory way should NOT be interferred with.

Rant done.

I used to get online at nap. If anyone told me not to, I would have been done right then and there. What is someone supposed to do? Stare at the kids and don't move? And honestly, there was NO WAY
I was...
bringing someone else's kid into the bathroom while I pee
going in after an 8yo using the restroom (they can do this themselves!)
facing the kids while changing a diaper for the sake of pleasing the state
and putting the kids on the counter so I could be sure to see them, while cooking on the stove

I would have to also refuse all guests, including the food lady, state licensing office, and anyone else, because my attention would not be focused 100% on the child(ren). Therefore, entertaining these people would be 'neglectful'.

Give me a break. This overstepping has to stop. Myself and several friends quit daycare for these types of overstepping things that was going on in our state. It just was making it impossible to ENJOY the work we were doing. It got so bad, the state wanted all HOME daycares to do a preschool curriculum. Um, no. If the kids want to be in a curricula based program, then they can pay for it at a center or a home that WANTS to do this. Of course, we did play-based learning, and we had SOME days where we did a circle-time, flash cards, letter learning, etc. but I don't think anyone should have told us we would be required to do this M-F when we had kids and that this was done for at least 6 hours of each day. NO way. IDK if they actually enforced this because I left the industry before the state's deadline to implement this.
childcaremom 01:54 AM 06-01-2015
While I applaud the idea that, generally speaking, the children should be our primary focus during the day, I do think it's almost impossible in a home daycare (where there is usually only one worker) to keep ALL children supervised 100% of the time. Others have pointed out very good examples above.

This seems more in line with a centre, where I would expect to not be able to use my phone during work hours. In fact, I did work in an after school program and we were not allowed to use our phones. As an employee in a centre, I had coworkers to cover if I needed to use the bathroom, etc so no one was ever left unattended. Much easier to accomplish when there is more than one employee. I also had paid meetings where we did our planning, usually before our shift started, with no children in attendance.

But in my home, during my 10 hour day? Where I work by myself?

The children in my charge are supervised either by sight or sound. If I need to be away from the group (diaper changes, bathroom assistance, meal prep, etc) the children are set up in a safe setting where I can still hear what is going on and where I am not too far that I can be there quickly if needed.

I do use the computer during rest times and will continue to do so. That's when I do all my prep and planning. I try to get as much 'work' done during the day so my evenings and weekends are free for my own kids.

I get the idea behind this regulation, I do, but it seems highly impractical in a home setting.
nannyde 05:35 AM 06-01-2015
I have seen so many times when trainers tell providers what they SHOULD do for best practice and the attendees believe it is regulation.

Back in the day I attended a child net series where the concept of us being responsible to educate the kids was seven of the ten trainings. With each one I asked..."who is going to pay for this? This is a lot more work."

I explained that I offered preschool for x dollars per hour and didn't get a SINGLE parent willing to pay for it. They wants it but they can't haves it for free.

Her response was "build it into your fees". My response was "I'm already maxing the highest rate my area supports with offering a low adult to child ratio, being a RN, and offering fully home cooked meals and a 100 sq foot of space per kid with a huge toy collection." There isn't a market for higher fees. I already hit that.

Then her response was you should just DO because it's in the best interest of the kids. When do you expect a business to do the HARD work of something like educating kids and expect them to do it because someone told them it's best for kids. Too pricey for me. I will do it for money but not for a contribution to society.

Then I asked her why the parents can't educate their kids for free? That seems the most economical way. How about Child Net doing free parent as teachers classes so parents can be taught best interest? Put YOUR money where your best interest is.

The point is that trainers have beliefs but when time to pay for them they have no answers. Getting someone to have their eyes on your kid every second they are in care and not doing ANY movement that doesn't serve that minute for the kids is VERY expensive. You want me to work THAT hard and do THAT boring job... you gots to pay me WAY more than three bucks an hour which includes housing and business expenses. It's just not enough money to get people to do it.

We won't do it for free. You wants it but you can't pay for it. Pop me up to $6/7 bucks an hour per kid and I will gladly stare at them all day. I won't do it for three/four bucks an hour before expenses
Stephnrich 05:36 AM 06-01-2015

👍. This is spot on!
Unregistered 06:54 AM 06-01-2015
Not sure I'm believing this thread.

A home is a home and functions as such, and if a presenter, licencor, mandated that I adhere to their ridiculous rules I would happily tell them where to stick their license. Of course I wouldn't get licensed to begin with if those kinds of rules existed.

Even if those rules, laws exist they may not be legally enforceable in a court if something did happen.
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
Inspectors in my state have been known to cite centers for staff using their phones. But I've also heard of them citing centers because there was a child behind a staff members back. They it's covered by the reg of children needing to be within range of sight AND sound. So their logic is that if the children are behind your back (or if you're looking at something), then they're not within range of sight. Of course, that's completely impractical, but...

That reg doesn't apply to home daycares so I'm not sure whether or not they would still get in trouble with licensing for cell phone use.
This brings up an interesting point...

There has been some really big discussions/situations in my state about this...
....licensors (inspectors/analysts) have cited providers for what "they" (licensors) believe the reg to be or sometimes for things they "think" the regulation means but when providers started appealing these citations it has come to light that just because you are cited for something, it doesn't mean it IS the law.

There are several counties that have had some massive uproar about this and there are a few licensors that have been "re-assigned"

When asked to produce the written words dictating a specific law or regulations, most licensors can't because they cited a provider simply based on their belief of the reg or interpretation of the regulation NOT based on the actual written law.

I've seen it happen to a lot of providers. I've also seen a lot of those providers appeal citations and have them overturned so again like I posted before.....
I'd like to see the written LAW that says what the OP is stating.

Interpretation is not the law.
Words spoken by a licensor, analyst, inspector or presenter is not law.

The written words (in state regulations) are law and until I see first hand what the LAW states, I do not for one minute accept what someone tells me to be true based on their words.
Annalee 07:20 AM 06-01-2015
This brings up an interesting point...

There has been some really big discussions/situations in my state about this...
....licensors (inspectors/analysts) have cited providers for what "they" (licensors) believe the reg to be or sometimes for things they "think" the regulation means but when providers started appealing these citations it has come to light that just because you are cited for something, it doesn't mean it IS the law.

There are several counties that have had some massive uproar about this and there are a few licensors that have been "re-assigned"

When asked to produce the written words dictating a specific law or regulations, most licensors can't because they cited a provider simply based on their belief of the reg or interpretation of the regulation NOT based on the actual written law.

I've seen it happen to a lot of providers. I've also seen a lot of those providers appeal citations and have them overturned so again like I posted before.....
I'd like to see the written LAW that says what the OP is stating.

Interpretation is not the law.
Words spoken by a licensor, analyst, inspector or presenter is not law.

The written words (in state regulations) are law and until I see first hand what the LAW states, I do not for one minute accept what someone tells me to be true based on their words.
I am in one of the toughest states for rules/regulations and there have been citations for texting, etc. Providers have been warned to know where your kids are, be conscious of ratio, etc...BUT I feel I can use the bathroom, answer a call, or occasionally text/post and still KNOW where my kids are and what they are doing. I do the same thing as when licensing makes an unannounced visit which is frequent in my state....I visit while still keeping close eye/listening to sounds of the kids in my care! Some providers may not be as good at multi-tasking and I feel that is the reason for the citations....the texting citations happen mostly in centers here???? Home providers, in my opinion, are very conscious of their surroundings. I keep tab on vehicles and know when a new one goes by...I notice if a car stops on the highway in front of my house.....I notice if a siren goes by....I KNOW my surroundings and protect the children in my care accordingly.
Heidi 07:52 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I am in one of the toughest states for rules/regulations and there have been citations for texting, etc. Providers have been warned to know where your kids are, be conscious of ratio, etc...BUT I feel I can use the bathroom, answer a call, or occasionally text/post and still KNOW where my kids are and what they are doing. I do the same thing as when licensing makes an unannounced visit which is frequent in my state....I visit while still keeping close eye/listening to sounds of the kids in my care! Some providers may not be as good at multi-tasking and I feel that is the reason for the citations....the texting citations happen mostly in centers here???? Home providers, in my opinion, are very conscious of their surroundings. I keep tab on vehicles and know when a new one goes by...I notice if a car stops on the highway in front of my house.....I notice if a siren goes by....I KNOW my surroundings and protect the children in my care accordingly.
That's because of your level of investment. This is YOUR business, and so your "buy-in" is much greater than that of (most) employees. Of course, there are excellent center staff people out there-and most of those wouldn't pull their cellphone or laptop out on their employer's time. They'd wait until break.

On the other hand, most center employees in my state probably make minimum wage. I don't think anyone "buys in" to a minimum job.

Oddly enough, most of us family providers net close to that, but our motivation is different; like having the freedom to throw in laundry, start dinner, or call a friend now and then.
Annalee 08:52 AM 06-01-2015
That's because of your level of investment. This is YOUR business, and so your "buy-in" is much greater than that of (most) employees. Of course, there are excellent center staff people out there-and most of those wouldn't pull their cellphone or laptop out on their employer's time. They'd wait until break.

On the other hand, most center employees in my state probably make minimum wage. I don't think anyone "buys in" to a minimum job.

Oddly enough, most of us family providers net close to that, but our motivation is different; like having the freedom to throw in laundry, start dinner, or call a friend now and then.
True The only citations I found for texting listed online was a provider standing outside on the playground at a center..????
daycarediva 09:20 AM 06-01-2015
I am in NY, and as far as I am aware, we are the only state to implement the electronic free rule. Here are the regs: http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/childcare/re...e%205.1.14.pdf

(u) If television or other electronic visual media is used, it must be part of a planned developmentally appropriate program with an educational, social, physical or other learning objective that includes identified goals and objectives. Television and other electronic visual media must not be used solely to occupy time.
(v) Television and other electronic visual media must be turned off when not part of a planned developmentally appropriate program activity.
(w) Children must not watch television or other electronic visual media during meals.
(x) Television and other electronic visual media must be turned off while children are sleeping, and during established nap times. This is not to prohibit a program from using electronic visual media for business purposes
daycarediva 09:24 AM 06-01-2015
There is another section, but my computer is acting glitchy and wont let me copy and paste. 417.8 (m)
Country Kids 09:24 AM 06-01-2015
If we participated in the QRIS program in our state, we are to do no technology during the day-nada, nothing, zip.

We have to even have it in our handbook. That is why I'm hardly on here anymore. If we have to do something for business-minute menu we need to let the parents know in our handbook what we will be doing.

I have a feeling it will become a rule sooner then later.
daycarediva 09:28 AM 06-01-2015
Anyway---the use of any type of device for social or entertainment purposes, listening to music on headphones, playing screen games, using the internet, or making personal calls by caregivers while supervising children is prohibited. Use of any device for brief and necessary communications or purposes directly related to the child care program, such as communication with parents or the Office and it's representatives is allowable.
daycarediva 09:33 AM 06-01-2015
I actually ran the use of this site and pinterest (I use it for daycare....mostly) by my registrar. I use it at nap, and it's daycare related. She also said that NOBODY is going to cite me unless my lack of supervision (I'm staring at all 6 sleeping kids as I type this) created a safety issue. I also post to my business facebook, update my business website, etc.

I recently heard of a parent trying to get a registered provider into trouble with the state. She knits (crochets?) during nap, and she sells her items on etsy. It's against regs to do ANYTHING for another business during daycare hours. The state just said as long as she isn't taking orders, answering questions or taking kids to the post office to mail them out- she's fine.
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I actually ran the use of this site and pinterest (I use it for daycare....mostly) by my registrar. I use it at nap, and it's daycare related. She also said that NOBODY is going to cite me unless my lack of supervision (I'm staring at all 6 sleeping kids as I type this) created a safety issue. I also post to my business facebook, update my business website, etc.

I recently heard of a parent trying to get a registered provider into trouble with the state. She knits (crochets?) during nap, and she sells her items on etsy. It's against regs to do ANYTHING for another business during daycare hours. The state just said as long as she isn't taking orders, answering questions or taking kids to the post office to mail them out- she's fine.
Its countable in T/S % so I would consider it "business use".

If I lived in a state that micro-managed to the point of it being debatable, I'd happily take them on.

It's ridiculous the regulations some areas want to have....
CraftyMom 09:53 AM 06-01-2015
Haha! So not only can they not use any electronics or watch tv, they also can not knit or crochet. I would assume that would go for crossword puzzles or reading as well. (according to these parents). So they want the provider to literally sit and stare at the sleeping children and nothing else?
Country Kids 09:58 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Haha! So not only can they not use any electronics or watch tv, they also can not knit or crochet. I would assume that would go for crossword puzzles or reading as well. (according to these parents). So they want the provider to literally sit and stare at the sleeping children and nothing else?
Actually when our state was coming out with QRIS and the whole technology thing came out we asked "why about naptime". We were told we need to watch them sleep.
Blackcat31 10:03 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Actually when our state was coming out with QRIS and the whole technology thing came out we asked "why about naptime". We were told we need to watch them sleep.
...but so far, QRIS is voluntary.

It has nothing to do with state licensing regulations/laws.

Providers don't HAVE to participate in QRIS.

Thankfully, QRIS in my state isn't that rigid....if they were I would NOT be participating with it.
Annalee 10:07 AM 06-01-2015

Thankfully, QRIS in my state isn't that rigid....if they were I would NOT be participating with it.
QRIS is mandated here as well. I have answered the phone before during my QRIS ASSESSMENT but I kept it brief. Many of QRIS guidelines are unrealistic. During my QRIS interview each year they will ask what I do during nap but I would never say I texted or was on the phone. However, licensing has been known to issue citations due to texting, but I wonder if the texting is going on continuously during their observation/visit ???? Like I stated earlier, the citations were made toward center employees.??
KiddieCahoots 10:19 AM 06-01-2015

Making everyone sit next to the bathroom and wait while Baby Joey gets his diaper changed is ridiculous and in some states could be considered "confinement" as I don't know many kids under age 5 that would enjoy sitting next to the bathroom and waiting multiple times a day.

If I had 5 kids in diapers and changed them 5 times a day that is 25 diaper changes and if each diaper change took say 5 minutes, then my kids would spend a total of 2 hours and 5 minutes "waiting".
Wouldn't you get dinged for this with the QRIS? I thought we weren't suppose to have children waiting for anything!?

Tricky catch 22 if you ask me.

I also take sate subsidy that are sometimes provided a bus for transportation. I am given a policy from the state to give to all parents, "Supervision Requirements While Accompanying a Child to and from a Vehicle", that allows me to leave the children unsupervised to get other children on or off a vehicle. Yet I can't go online about work realted issues while in the same room with children......go figure! ........
Country Kids 10:20 AM 06-01-2015

Ours will be mandatory sooner then later if you take state paid children. At the moment I don't but never sure about the future. I went from a full house the last 5 years to 3 children the last year. I've started a facebook, website and business cards. Nothing! So I'm either going to need to do something more drastic to get clients or start looking for a job in the outside world.
Country Kids 10:21 AM 06-01-2015

Also, some of our rules are lining up with QRIS rules or vice versa. So for our state it does have things to due with licensing/laws.
Blackcat31 10:34 AM 06-01-2015
Ours will be mandatory sooner then later if you take state paid children. At the moment I don't but never sure about the future. I went from a full house the last 5 years to 3 children the last year. I've started a facebook, website and business cards. Nothing! So I'm either going to need to do something more drastic to get clients or start looking for a job in the outside world.
It will be for everyone.
I've been saying that to everyone here for a long time now.

Also, some of our rules are lining up with QRIS rules or vice versa. So for our state it does have things to due with licensing/laws.
Aligning with state laws/regulations is not really the same thing.
QRIS makes that very clear. QRIS follows state laws and may advocate or support certain regulations and regulation changes but they are not the law.

QRIS does not dictate rules/regulations or laws as "required" for child care licensing. Only for participation in QRIS.

ONLY the state can enforce or mandate a law and unless something is written in the state laws, it is nothing more than a suggestion when coming from a source other than your state statutes.
Annalee 10:38 AM 06-01-2015
It will be for everyone.

QRIS makes that very clear. QRIS follows state laws and may advocate or support certain regulations and regulation changes but they are not the law.

QRIS does not dictate rules/regulations or laws as "required" for child care licensing. Only for participation in QRIS.

ONLY the state can enforce or mandate a law and unless something is written in the state laws, it is nothing more than a suggestion when coming from a source other than your state statutes.
In my state, the QRIS Assessment is mandated by law. All center/fcc must be assessed annually with the QRIS tool FCCERS-R. Providers may choose not participate but they have to go through the process due to the law. The N/P is placed online but when you click it it reveals the star information so what is the point of not participating???? Plus all components rely on the assessment score?? NOT FAIR but is the way it is here!
Country Kids 10:51 AM 06-01-2015
It will be for everyone.

What I'm saying is some of the rules for QRIS are now becoming rules for childcare so yes they are alligning. To be a certified family childcare here, you have to have to have so much education/be on a certain step in our registry system. This aligns with our QRIS having a so much education/be on a certain step in our registry system. So they are now going hand in had with some things. I have noticed some of the rules for our QRIS is becoming rules for our childcare. The above is just one of them. So I see that if we aren't doing something for QRIS that we are suppose to be doing and it is a QRIS Rule and State rule either agency can report us to the other one.
Annalee 11:00 AM 06-01-2015
What I'm saying is some of the rules for QRIS are now becoming rules for childcare so yes they are alligning. To be a certified family childcare here, you have to have to have so much education/be on a certain step in our registry system. This aligns with our QRIS having a so much education/be on a certain step in our registry system. So they are now going hand in had with some things. I have noticed some of the rules for our QRIS is becoming rules for our childcare. The above is just one of them. So I see that if we aren't doing something for QRIS that we are suppose to be doing and it is a QRIS Rule and State rule either agency can report us to the other one.
What state are you in? If you do not want to post this....please pm me. Thanks!
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 06-01-2015
Unless QRIS can cite you (as in a written citation that affects your ability to hold a license. or is a fineable offense) they are NOT the law.
Having to reporting to the legal agent is not the same thing.

We're mandated reporters too but we do not hold the power to actually charge a parent with something we report.

The food program is also required to report to my licensing agent but the food program is not the law (in regards to licensing).

"Aligning" is not the same thing as an agency that has the power to cite or fine you in the eyes of the law.

There is a huge difference between reporting to the authorizing agency and being the authority.

I think the confusing lies in WHAT agency actually has the LEGAL authority over you.
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 06-01-2015

You said earlier that in order to take state assisted children, you must participate in QRIS. Are you saying in your state you can not be a child care provider at all...(uncertified or legally unlicensed or licensed exempt) unless you participate in QRIS and follow their rules?

Does QRIS have the power to take your license or certification away from you?

NOT the agency they (QRIS) reports to but QRIS itself...are they the ones that decide if you are certified or licensed as a child care provider?
Annalee 11:19 AM 06-01-2015
You said earlier that in order to take state assisted children, you must participate in QRIS. Are you saying in your state you can not be a child care provider at all...(uncertified or legally unlicensed or licensed exempt) unless you participate in QRIS and follow their rules?

NOT the agency they (QRIS) reports to but QRIS itself...are they the ones that decide if you are certified or licensed as a child care provider?
Here they do! If a provider does NOT complete the QRIS report card, they lose their license.
Blackcat31 11:23 AM 06-01-2015
Here they do! If a provider does NOT complete the QRIS report card, they lose their license.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...your state is weird.

...and one of the ONLY ones that is that rigid.

.....yet.
Country Kids 11:34 AM 06-01-2015

1. At this time it is all voluntary but they are trying to get as many STARed because it will roll out soon that if you don't have STARs you will not be able to have state paid children. You will still be a childcare just not take state paid children.

2. No, but they would have the power to take your STARs away. In the future if you relied on State Paid children, you wouldn't be able to have them if you had your STARs taken away and possibly lose your income.

3. QRIS doesn't report to anyone. They are their own system. No they don't decide if we receive our registration or certification. The Department of Education does which as you see, with the Department of Education as our head they will more then likely go hand in hand with QRIS.
Country Kids 11:37 AM 06-01-2015

.....yet.
I almost didn't get my STARS because one of the pieces I didn't "word" correctly was how I potty train children! There were a couple other things that had crossed in the mail but if I hadn't got it because my wording wasn't correct I would have been fuming. I still can't figure out what they want on that piece.
Annalee 11:38 AM 06-01-2015

.....yet.
YET.....being the key word!
LysesKids 11:48 AM 06-01-2015
and the reason I still stay legally license exempt here
Annalee 11:57 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
and the reason I still stay legally license exempt here
Yep, I look for the number of licensed facilities to keep going down in our state.
Blackcat31 12:08 PM 06-01-2015

3. QRIS doesn't report to anyone. They are their own system. No they don't decide if we receive our registration or certification. The Department of Education does which as you see, with the Department of Education as our head they will more then likely go hand in hand with QRIS.
You just said in another post that either agency (licensing or QRIS) reports to the other if you aren't following a rule.

1. At this time it is all voluntary but they are trying to get as many STARed because it will roll out soon that if you don't have STARs you will not be able to have state paid children. You will still be a childcare just not take state paid children. .
So after all that back and forth.... I will repeat the statement I made earlier...

"QRIS is not the law. They cannot tell you as a child care provider that you cannot use the internet or other forms of electronic media while providing care to children"

I understand that by participating in QRIS, you VOLUNTARILY agree to that but it is not a state law set forth for ALL child care providers. Same as the food program. You (the provider) are voluntarily agreeing to their policies.

The OP is implying the use of electronics/technology is a state licensing rule.

I would like to read what her state's rules specifically say about that.

Like the rules in DaycareDiva's state. However, even the rules in her state read as if the are talking about the daycare kids not the provider. So again, open to interpretation.
Country Kids 12:21 PM 06-01-2015
Yep, I look for the number of licensed facilities to keep going down in our state.
Many of our 5 STAR facilities in our state are already out of business! This is in the span of 12-15 months at the most. Why do all that if your going to shut your doors right after. We did receive monies for improvements but why take those recourses from someone else. It had to be improvements childcare related-no building, painting, etc.
Heidi 12:25 PM 06-01-2015
You just said in another post that either agency (licensing or QRIS) reports to the other if you aren't following a rule.

So after all that back and forth.... I will repeat the statement I made earlier...

"QRIS is not the law. They cannot tell you as a child care provider that you cannot use the internet or other forms of electronic media while providing care to children"

I understand that by participating in QRIS, you VOLUNTARILY agree to that but it is not a state law set forth for ALL child care providers. Same as the food program. You (the provider) are voluntarily agreeing to their policies.

Like the rules in DaycareDiva's state. However, even the rules in her state read as if the are talking about the daycare kids not the provider. So again, open to interpretation.
This is exactly how I read that reg! Diva said it was also mentioned elsewhere, but the reg she shared said, to me, that the CHILDREN couldn't be in front of a screen accept for educational purposes.
Country Kids 12:28 PM 06-01-2015

What I meant in the one post was if I'm not following a QRIS rule and it is also the same as a rule from the Dept. of Education I can see them being able to report us to each other even though they are two seperate agencies.

Our food program turns providers in all the time to Dept. of Education here.

I guess I'm really confused why you think QRIS can't tell us that we can't use electonic media? That is the rules they set forth and we have to abide by if we are in the program. It would be the same as the food program, they have rules and we have to abide by them.
Play Care 12:29 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by :
Like the rules in DaycareDiva's state. However, even the rules in her state read as if the are talking about the daycare kids not the provider. So again, open to interpretation
Exactly. The ironic thing is that I do not even need to be in the same room as my napping kids (I have to have parents sign off stating they are aware of this)My thought was that this is for those providers who leave the tv on for two + hours in the nap room... And as we've seen, even facebook, this site, etc can all be considered doing "business" which is allowed...
I've said before and I'll say it again - if I need to take care of personal business during my work day (talking to my kids teachers, making a doctors appointment, etc) I will do it. And they can site me for it.
Play Care 12:33 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by :
I guess I'm really confused why you think QRIS can't tell us that we can't use electonic media? That is the rules they set forth and we have to abide by if we are in the program. It would be the same as the food program, they have rules and we have to abide by them.
I think what Black Cat means is that if you get caught violating QRIS or the FP, they can boot you from the program, but that won't necessarily mean any licensing repercussions. For instance, I could get kicked off the food program for being late submitting my menus (I think it's 3 times?) But that doesn't mean I'm no longer a provider. Just means I can't be on the FP.
The one issue I can see is state's where QRIS and licensing are one in the same - and I think that so far there is only one provider with that...
Heidi 12:40 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I think what Black Cat means is that if you get caught violating QRIS or the FP, they can boot you from the program, but that won't necessarily mean any licensing repercussions. For instance, I could get kicked off the food program for being late submitting my menus (I think it's 3 times?) But that doesn't mean I'm no longer a provider. Just means I can't be on the FP.
The one issue I can see is state's where QRIS and licensing are one in the same - and I think that so far there is only one provider with that...
In WI, if you are kicked off the food program, they will yank your license.

If the FP or QRIS person sees you break a licensing rule, they can and will most likely report you to licensing. Probably depends on the rule. If they see an outlet unplugged, they'd probably just point it out. If they saw you discipline a child roughly, they'd call it in, and licensing would come investigate. The QRIS people can't actually cite you for something, but they can suggest things that are against their standards. FP can only enforce their own rules or report licensing violations to licensing. Licensing can only cite you for licensing violations. If they saw you break a FP rule, they would inform the FP. If they saw you do something against the QRIS standards, they'd most likely be clueless.

So...they all know the licensing rules (regulations), licensing knows the licensing rules and most of the FP rules but not the QRIS standards. Oh, and we're supposed to follow them all, but the QRIS ones are really a suggestion, not a regulation. As long as you followed them during your observation..whew...
Blackcat31 01:06 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I am NOT saying QRIS can't dictate rules to you/your program.

The OP implied it was a state licensing rule that said they cannot use electronics while kids were present.

The original post wasn't at all about QRIS...but state rules.

...I'm not sure when QRIS was brought in to the discussion.
AmyKidsCo 01:14 PM 06-01-2015
In WI, if you are kicked off the food program, they will yank your license.
Actually, I think it's the other way around - you can be licensed and not on the food program, but you can't be on the food program unless you're licensed.
Play Care 02:00 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Actually, I think it's the other way around - you can be licensed and not on the food program, but you can't be on the food program unless you're licensed.
I think Heidi is saying that if, for some reason you get kicked off the FP, you will lose your license.

I know that my FP sponsers are mandated reporters, so if they see things going on they will report. They make that clear.

But I'm speaking more to paperwork errors (ie: submitting forms late) things that you've agreed not to do, but have nothing really to do with regulations, KWIM?
NightOwl 02:11 PM 06-01-2015
Someone mentioned no electronics at all can be used in their state. What about the daily connect app? You have to have a device to use that, so is our banned? What about my Bluetooth speaker and cell phone that I use to play kids music from? What about a cd player? Is music banned because electronics are? I don't see how this could be legal.
LysesKids 03:05 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
Someone mentioned no electronics at all can be used in their state. What about the daily connect app? You have to have a device to use that, so is our banned? What about my Bluetooth speaker and cell phone that I use to play kids music from? What about a cd player? Is music banned because electronics are? I don't see how this could be legal.
I would be sunk... my only electronics are a phone & my computer which plays music all day; parents expect to be able to text me to check on their babes (all under 18 months).
NightOwl 05:25 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I would be sunk... my only electronics are a phone & my computer which plays music all day; parents expect to be able to text me to check on their babes (all under 18 months).
Me too. I text with the parents whenever needed, so it would be a hard adjustment to make for everyone.
Onawhim 05:27 AM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
As center employee I can tell you that we will be in major trouble if we are using our phones , even during nap !
That makes sense for us . We are being paid by the center and have to abide by their rules . Their rules are usually set by licensing / state guidelines for centers . Yes , some co workers sneak to look at their phones . They do allow us to leave the room if we want to make a phone call , but someone else comes in our room to cover for us . ( if we aren't in ratio )
As a center employee you also get breaks and lunches. As self employed we do not.
Play Care 08:00 AM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
You can use electronics for business purposes, so that wouldn't be an issue.
Margarete 10:17 AM 06-02-2015
The QRIS standards say you should NEVER be on the phone?? That would be against licensing rules. You are required to notify parents if a child becomes sick, so that they can be picked up within a certain time frame, and not have continued contact with other children. This is a very common situation. How do they expect you to notify parents, telepathy? put a letter in the mail box?

What about an emergency... I'm sorry I can't call 911 I'm not allowed to use the phone while children are in my care.

Do they also expect you to notify parents if a child who is supposed to show up does not, in case they were left in a car by a parent also?
Country Kids 10:38 AM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by Margarete:
The QRIS standards say you should NEVER be on the phone?? That would be against licensing rules. You are required to notify parents if a child becomes sick, so that they can be picked up within a certain time frame, and not have continued contact with other children. This is a very common situation. How do they expect you to notify parents, telepathy? put a letter in the mail box?

What about an emergency... I'm sorry I can't call 911 I'm not allowed to use the phone while children are in my care.

Do they also expect you to notify parents if a child who is supposed to show up does not, in case they were left in a car by a parent also?

You are not allowed to use any media for personal use.
kitykids3 11:12 AM 06-02-2015
Yeah, not going to happen. I would give up my license before they can tell me that I can't have some quiet time on my laptop while the kids all take their nap. Plus I use my phone for texting parents or sending them pics, etc. And I need to be able to use the phone to call and set up doctor appts. etc. during the day because they aren't open when I'm off work. They can't make that a law, not for how little we make and long 10 hour days with no breaks. Ridiculous.
Annalee 11:23 AM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
Yeah, not going to happen. I would give up my license before they can tell me that I can't have some quiet time on my laptop while the kids all take their nap. Plus I use my phone for texting parents or sending them pics, etc. And I need to be able to use the phone to call and set up doctor appts. etc. during the day because they aren't open when I'm off work. They can't make that a law, not for how little we make and long 10 hour days with no breaks. Ridiculous.
I am not saying banning electronics will become law but I do feel licensing has to monitor it. That being said, as a provider, I am NOT going to text just anyone nor answer just any call if licensing or QRIS are in my home. I have answered the phone during an assessment but I kept it brief. I was NOT discounted nor was I turned in to licensing. I think all things are good with moderation. Now if something happened in my daycare that caused a negligence charge, I can see where licensing or whomever may track my electronic use to support their case for my negligence. BUT as I stated earlier, quality providers know their limits and home providers, in particular, are very aware of their surroundings. I am in one room.....I can keep tabs on many things during the day!
Play Care 11:30 AM 06-02-2015
The regulations in my state (New York) make it clear they mean personal use media not business. And really, anyone with an ounce of brain can spin media use towards business purposes

But honestly, that's common sense. Of course they expect you to keep in touch with dcp's should the need arise. Of course you're expected to call emergency services should the need (God forbid) arise.

You're not going to be cited for texting a parent during the day about something regarding their child. Or updating forms, etc. or probably even being on some social media during the day/nap time (again, it's all in the spin)

You would be cited for texting your friends/candy crushing/ tweeting, etc while you're sitting in your yard ignoring the dck's and your licensor is standing there watching (and you have no idea because your face is buried in your phone.)
Or perhaps cited for watching inappropriate shows in view of the dck's because "it's nap time!" (here's a hint, if your dck's go home telling their parents all about the teacher making drugs in his garage or can tell you all about Game of Thrones because they watch it at your house, this means you )

Granted, I don't believe we needed new regulations to deal with these issues as we already have ones regarding appraise supervision and television viewing. They need to enforce what they have... but they don't call New York the "nanny state" without good reason
crazydaycarelady 11:48 AM 06-02-2015
This presenter is another in a long line of people telling us how to do our job who have never done our job!

I do my menus, add pictures of the kids so the parents can see them, etc. during the day. That is a part of my job and I am not going to devote anymore time to it (by doing those chores at night) than I do already.

Originally Posted by :
And I also in the camp of so what if a provider happened to post on Facebook during the day?
When I do post pictures of the kids or announcements on my fb page almost all of the dcparents have "liked" it while at work, before they come get their child that night.
daycarediva 08:53 AM 06-03-2015
Here was the second regulation I posted re: electronics and social media.

the use of any type of device for social or entertainment purposes, listening to music on headphones, playing screen games, using the internet, or making personal calls by caregivers while supervising children is prohibited. Use of any device for brief and necessary communications or purposes directly related to the child care program, such as communication with parents or the Office and it's representatives is allowable.

-this includes rest time.
-this includes ANYTHING personal.

My registrar doesn't even agree with these, and wouldn't cite me if she saw me pick up a phone call from my kids school (what parent wouldn't?)

It is more to crack down on the providers with public facebook pages posting about facebook games ALL DAY. Providers talking on their phone to friends while doing childcare ALL DAY. Providers texting, playing screen games, on facebook, twitter, etc ALL DAY.

I answered an email from my sons teacher while the kids were eating breakfast. I was sitting next to them. Yes, it's a citable offense, but I would fight it, because it was BRIEF and NECESSARY.

The kids nap in my daycare room, and I bring my laptop in the room and sit facing all of them (screen faces away). My registrar has come in during nap, seen my headphones plugged in, this website and pinterest and my email up (I leave one earbud out) and not said a word.
Tags:2015, distractions during daycare, safety issues, unrealistic expectations
1 2 
Reply Up