Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Killing People
cara041083 08:07 AM 05-22-2014
I have a 6 year old SA kid that I don't normally watch but I have him today and tomorrow until his new care starts. I caught him whispering in the smaller kids ears that he kills people. After getting the little ones settled down because they started to freak out, I explained to him why that wasn't ok and asked him why he did it and after talking to him for 10 min he still thinks he kills people. I have him sitting on the couch, and I called dad and left him a message and have yet to hear back from him. Is there anything else I need to do? How long do I keep him on the couch? Im not really sure how to handle this one
Second Home 08:16 AM 05-22-2014
I would keep him seperated as long as he is there . A seperate place to play alone with toys. The last thing you need is for the little ones to tell their parents what he said (and I bet they will) and to still let them play together .

I once had a dcb who was always saying he was going to burn down my house, kill my dogs etc... It started to affect my dd so I spoke to the parents . They felt it was just kids being kids . I didn't and gave them two weeks notice . This child was kept seperate from the others for those last 2 weeks , he was not allowed to play with any kids except his sibling .
spinnymarie 08:31 AM 05-22-2014
Yep, I'd keep him apart from the others all day. He can't say that to kids, period. That's disturbing to me as an adult.
llpa 08:38 AM 05-22-2014
I agree you can separate him or call his contacts and send him home.
Meeko 08:39 AM 05-22-2014
Keep him separate from the other kids.

Several years ago, we had a "strange" child in care for a while. He would talk the same way. He was 4/5 years old.

If he was in trouble, he would sit in time out and tell my son and I all the different ways he was going to kill us. We ignored it and he would eventually smile, apologize and be as good as gold for the rest of the day. But it was very weird. He was with us for about 6 months. Had been kicked out of other daycares. His family moved and his mother quite her job to be home with the kids.

I saw his father last year. The child is now 9. His dad told me the boy is in a mental facility after having tried to hurt his little sister by throwing her down the stairs (she's OK) and trying to kill himself several times. The reason he gives for both hurting his sister and himself is
"Because I wanted to see what it was like".
cara041083 08:40 AM 05-22-2014
Ok. and I agree it was disturbing. I have had boys playing and say stuff they shouldn't and I handled it and that was that. This kid got down on there level and whispered it into there ears. I just happened to see one of the little girls reactions and asked him what he said. He is strange kid to begin with. His dad works with my husband and the dad has told people at work that as a kid he heard voices in his head telling him to kill people and was put on meds and then it went away as he got older. Well if that's true, Im wondering if the something is going on with this boy. It almost worries me to keep this kids. I have him on rare occasions, but I have the 1 year old full time. It has been over an hour and I still have yet to hear from the parents.
ihop 09:10 AM 05-22-2014
I have a friend who's dck told her he liked to scoop eye balls. He was 6 so she didn't read a whole lot into it and he never elaborated or said other dark thing. A year later we came to find out that he does indeed like to scoop eyeballs. From all the cats in the neighborhood. A dozen in all.

I think you handled this perfectly. Its not normal or anything you need the littles to repeat.
Second Home 09:13 AM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
I have a friend who's dck told her he liked to scoop eye balls. He was 6 so she didn't read a whole lot into it and he never elaborated or said other dark thing. A year later we came to find out that he does indeed like to scoop eyeballs. From all the cats in the neighborhood. A dozen in all.

craftymissbeth 09:20 AM 05-22-2014

I think you handled this perfectly. Its not normal or anything you need the littles to repeat.
I just can't.... like he scooped them OUT?!
ihop 09:28 AM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I just can't.... like he scooped them OUT?!
He killed the cats (strangled or stabbed most) the cut out there eyes. He progressed with the mutilation as he killed more. Needless to stay he is living in a mental facility.
Annalee 09:29 AM 05-22-2014
He killed the cats (strangled or stabbed most) the cut out there eyes. He progressed with the mutilation as he killed more. Needless to stay he is living in a mental facility.
WOW!!!!
drseuss 09:39 AM 05-22-2014
It breaks my heart into pieces to learn of such little ones struggling with mental illness. They can't help it. It's not their fault. It's not their parents' faults. They don't understand it. Just the cross they have been handed to bear. So sad.

For several years, I had one child in my care that seemed and still seems to have a very slight bit of this going on, not to the extremes any of you have described. But something is most definitely off in him. You can see it in his eyes, in photographs of him...I will not be surprised if the poor little guy ends up in some trouble down the road.
cara041083 09:41 AM 05-22-2014

OH WOW!!!! I have 4 kids of my own and and my husband already doesn't want me watching this boy because of the way his dad acts at work. He says that something about the dad just rubs him the wrong way and really doesn't even like that im alone when this guy pics up the DCG. Im scared if I tell him about what happened today that will be the end of them coming.
NightOwl 10:00 AM 05-22-2014
Oh wow. Wow we wow wow.... Just.... No.
TwinKristi 10:17 AM 05-22-2014
This is freaking me out ladies!! Another reason I prefer infants and toddlers!!
I had a SA DCB who was my best friends son and he said that he did inappropriate things to his sister & mom (I won't elaborate!!) and I know it's not true but the fact that he would even say it disturbed me greatly. I haven't had him over since. He told my kids and another friends daughter and we were so I just didn't know what to do.
But if he said he kills people I would separate him from the others and call the parents and say this is NOT ok and he's scaring the other kids.
GKJNIGMN 10:18 AM 05-22-2014
I have had a 3 year old threaten to kill himself. I termed the same day. I literally called DCM and told her I didn't have time to be on suicide watch and that she should really really consider getting him evaluated quickly. If I tried to stop him from doing something dangerous he would go into a rage and call me a stupid b**** and actually referred to me using a racial slur. The parents failed to tell me that their kids had just been returned from foster care. Not that I blame them for not volunteering the information.

The worst I have with regards to behavior towards others is one who constantly screams that she hates me and everyone else when she is upset lol She is 1 week into her 2 week probation today.

I would never in a million years take a kid like the first one I described again. The second they make a threat I am going down the list and somebody is picking up that kid.
Kabob 12:36 PM 05-22-2014
Wow these stories are an eye opener...it is so sad...makes my aggressive 5.5 yo dcb seem like a saint....
cara041083 02:57 PM 05-22-2014
So his dad NEVER called me to talk about it and at pick up just blew it off like it was nothing. I told him exactly what he did and that I felt it was it was pretty serious. The dads response was that hes a kid and he probley just had a dream about it or something. I think maybe something is going on that they don't want to share with me. The dad was way to ok with it. But if something is going on, I certinly don't want him around little kids. Tomorrow is the last day I have him and I will be watching him very close.
Bookworm 02:59 PM 05-22-2014
Sweet Jesus! The DCB (4at the time ) that I had was kicked out of 2 elementary schools after he left me for drawing horribly explicit photos of women getting killed. He was 5-6 at the time. Not long after being kicked out of the second school, he found his uncle, who'd committed suicide in DCBs bed, when he came home from school. He was disturbed when I had him and he's gotten worse over the years.
Reply Up