Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If Given a 1 Week Notice...WWYD?
Unregistered 11:55 AM 06-11-2015
I notified my families that I would be closing about 8 weeks ago. I also sent home a note to let me know their last day, or 30 days prior, I will assume July 2nd is their last day. I now close 3 weeks from today, and require a 30 day notice if a parent chooses alternate care. One parent just told me next week is their last week, since they decided to take vacation the week following. Do accept it, charge for 2 weeks, or tell them tomorrow is their last day since that's when they are paid.
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I notified my families that I would be closing about 8 weeks ago. I also sent home a note to let me know their last day, or 30 days prior, I will assume July 2nd is their last day. I now close 3 weeks from today, and require a 30 day notice if a parent chooses alternate care. One parent just told me next week is their last week, since they decided to take vacation the week following. Do accept it, charge for 2 weeks, or tell them tomorrow is their last day since that's when they are paid.
If you close in 3 weeks, why do they need to give you 30 days (4 weeks) notice?

Honestly, it's up to you if you accept the notice for next week being their last week or if you want to call it done tomorrow?

Maybe you could say tomorrow is their last day UNLESS they pay for the next two weeks up front. NO services after tomorrow without payment for final two weeks...
AmyKidsCo 12:30 PM 06-11-2015
I don't understand either. Do your policies require 2 weeks notice? Do parents normally pay to hold their space while on vacation?

I require 2 weeks notice and payment whether the child is in attendance or not, so I'd need them to pay for the next 2 weeks, whether the child was there or not. But it depends on what's in your policies.
Controlled Chaos 12:36 PM 06-11-2015
If I was closing in three weeks, and parents were going to come for one more week, then take a vacation and then start with a new provider (if I understood right) I would be fine with it. I don't see enforcing little policies at this point to make a huge difference. I would be most concerned with the children transition to their new daycare. I week off the mom and dad and then a fresh start at a new place makes sense.

Though there is always a chance I am way off base
Unregistered 12:44 PM 06-11-2015
Here is what went out in the closing notification about 8 weeks ago:

"I would love for everyone to be able to stay until the last day, but understand if you are unable to do so. I do want to remind everyone that I still require a 30 days notice as stated in the contract, and if notice has not been given by June 2nd, 2015, I will assume your child’s last day of attendance will be July 2nd, 2015."

So with 3 weeks, left, I have planned on most of the children staying, except ones that have given notice awhile ago that are leaving during this time.
Unregistered 12:49 PM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't understand either. Do your policies require 2 weeks notice? Do parents normally pay to hold their space while on vacation?

I require 2 weeks notice and payment whether the child is in attendance or not, so I'd need them to pay for the next 2 weeks, whether the child was there or not. But it depends on what's in your policies.
Parents pay tuition regardless of attendance...vacations, illnesses, or just taking a day off.
Blackcat31 12:57 PM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Here is what went out in the closing notification about 8 weeks ago:

"I would love for everyone to be able to stay until the last day, but understand if you are unable to do so. I do want to remind everyone that I still require a 30 days notice as stated in the contract, and if notice has not been given by June 2nd, 2015, I will assume your child’s last day of attendance will be July 2nd, 2015."

So with 3 weeks, left, I have planned on most of the children staying, except ones that have given notice awhile ago that are leaving during this time.
Oh, that makes sense now....

In that case, what I said originally is what I would do.

Be done completely tomorrow OR bring payment for two FULL weeks and attend until you close.
AmyKidsCo 12:59 PM 06-11-2015
Yup, I agree with Blackcat.

Since you require 30 days notice you could be hard-nosed, but since you're closing anyway I'd just let them make the choice and if they're done now they're done now.
childcaremom 01:03 PM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh, that makes sense now....

In that case, what I said originally is what I would do.

Be done completely tomorrow OR bring payment for two FULL weeks and attend until you close.

Tags:closing notice, notice of closure
Reply Up