Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Poor, Uncomfortable Toddler
SilverSabre25 02:28 PM 01-24-2014
His dad buys and dresses him in rather...hipster....clothing. It's tight, stylish, fashionable, and the shoes especially are annoying to the max. But today's outfit...

It doesn't fit! This child is 20 months old and is BIG. I can hardly lift him! I think he weighs more than my 31 month old son does. He's a tank, to put it succinctly. He's not fat, or overweight....just solid.

He's wearing a 24month long sleeved T-Shirt with a 12 month short sleeved shirt on top of it. He came in a super tight fleece jacket...size 18 months (the sleeves reach hardly halfway to his wrists). His pants are 24 month but are cinched SO tight (adjustable waist) that they are hard to fasten. His shoes are these stupid boots that are like....toddler hiking boots. They're solid and stiff and impossible to deal with.

He looks so uncomfortable. His stuff is usually so tight. I don't get it. Dad has a lot of money and buys the kids stuff all the time....but it's so TIGHT. He can't move properly. He has a hard time stretching and bending and twisting and moving.

WHY DO PEOPLE DRESS TODDLERS THIS WAY?! I don't get it
cheerfuldom 02:37 PM 01-24-2014
he is dressed this way because he looks cute for the few minutes that mom and dad have to see and deal with him in the morning. they are not seeing this child struggle to play, diaper, eat, and everything that you are seeing. you may have to start a dress code of sorts and insist on a change of clothing so you have a back up option each day. you can also have a spare pair of sweats for this boy and change him upon arrival and right before leaving. I know several providers here have gone to "daycare uniform" and invested in sweat sets and plain tennis shoes and just changed kids at arrival.

i had one child start last week that came in a new dress, white tights and dress shoes plus accessories. just made me laugh. what did this mom think this toddler was going to be doing all day? I would have insisted on different clothing if they would have stayed past the trial week. clearly we were not the right fit. child came mostly in brand new name brand clothing and ridiculous shoes every day.
sharlan 02:48 PM 01-24-2014
I ask myself that same question every single day.

I have a 35 lb 2 yo that often comes in size 9 mo pants. She probably hasn't worn 9 mo sizes since she was born. Most of her clothes are either way too big or way too small. I often take off the too small clothes and hide them so she doesn't wear them again.

She came in African leather boots a couple of times that are so stiff, I can't bend them with my hands. I pointed it out to Mom and she quit putting them on.
daycare 02:56 PM 01-24-2014
and who in the world invented skinny jeans for babies.......find me a skinny baby.............ok that does not live in a 3rd word country.

Ugh I hate those.....I can never get them off or on
BumbleBee 03:36 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
and who in the world invented skinny jeans for babies.......find me a skinny baby.............ok that does not live in a 3rd word country.

Lil Chunk (as her mom & I lovingly call her) got a pair of skinny jeans from one of mom's co-workers. Mom & I put them on her and laughed so hard we almost cried. Lil Chunk was 6 months old at the time and was, well, a Lil Chunk. Mom said it was like a before picture on one of those diet program commercials.
Evansmom 05:20 PM 01-24-2014
Maybe DCD is totally clueless and thinks that since his kid is 20 months that he would fit in 24 month size clothes? Like that the size corresponds with age? I don't know, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here.

I have had kids in clothes too big, too small, too tight, shows bum, in shoes too big, too small, flip flops so big they trip the kids when they walk. It's crazy. How hard is it to buy and use clothes that fit? (For families that can afford to that is, I used to be very poor so I realize it's sometimes hard to find things at a thrift shop. But all my clients have been middle to upper class)
MotherNature 05:13 AM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:

My son is a preemie & skinny jeans would fall off him. We used to have a very hard time finding clothes for him, even in a big city. Thankful for adjustable waistbands. He still only weighs 22 lbs at age 3. He doesn't gain weight & is under the care of a geneticist, endocrinologist, and nutritionist to find the root cause. Skinny babies exist in America too.

More on topic-had a baby girl whose mom worked at h&m. She showed up in new clothes every day, white leggings/tights, & new shoes. Kid could barely crawl. Once her shoes were nb size & they had just crammed them on her feet. I couldn't even get them back on they were so tight. And every day, some hair bow. This baby spat up every time she ate, so I don't know why they didn't just send her in some stained outfits...
SilverSabre25 08:11 AM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Maybe DCD is totally clueless and thinks that since his kid is 20 months that he would fit in 24 month size clothes? Like that the size corresponds with age? I don't know, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here.

I have had kids in clothes too big, too small, too tight, shows bum, in shoes too big, too small, flip flops so big they trip the kids when they walk. It's crazy. How hard is it to buy and use clothes that fit? (For families that can afford to that is, I used to be very poor so I realize it's sometimes hard to find things at a thrift shop. But all my clients have been middle to upper class)
He fits the 24 month stuff okay...the pants only are tight because the adjustable waist is cinched sooooo tight. What's the point of an adjustable waist if you don't freaking adjust it?! And the 24 month long sleeved shirt would have fit fine...if it didn't have a 12 month on shoved on top of it.
daycarediva 01:00 PM 01-25-2014
My completely potty trained 3.5yo dcg who is CRAZY TALL for her age (same height as my 5.5yo) comes in infant sized onesies under her clothes every single day. Every single day I have her take them off in the bathroom. Even in summer. They are SOOOOO TIGHT and stretched to the max, the neck hole scoops down to chest level in the front and it leaves marks on her shoulders.

I just do NOT get it.

After the first few ruined outfits, ALL of my parents now send in play clothes. I refer them to a friend of mine who owns a consignment shop, and she gives them a discount if they come in with my business card.
treyes 04:47 PM 01-25-2014
I have a parent who dresses her child super cute and expects her to be spotless at pick up. We use large napkins as bibs at lunch but she sometimes gets dirty. Mom refuses to bring extra clothes we can let her get dirty in she expects me to leave her in a diaper only all day. Friday she accused me of ripping her daughters sweater (it has a small string that is looped and it hooks over a button, the string came loose) she showed me a picture of it saying she has to get a seamstress to fix it. I looked at her with my "are you serious?" face and asked her if I needed to reimburse her. She quickly said no. She's full of it.
LaLa1923 06:40 PM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
His dad buys and dresses him in rather...hipster....clothing. It's tight, stylish, fashionable, and the shoes especially are annoying to the max. But today's outfit...

It doesn't fit! This child is 20 months old and is BIG. I can hardly lift him! I think he weighs more than my 31 month old son does. He's a tank, to put it succinctly. He's not fat, or overweight....just solid.

He's wearing a 24month long sleeved T-Shirt with a 12 month short sleeved shirt on top of it. He came in a super tight fleece jacket...size 18 months (the sleeves reach hardly halfway to his wrists). His pants are 24 month but are cinched SO tight (adjustable waist) that they are hard to fasten. His shoes are these stupid boots that are like....toddler hiking boots. They're solid and stiff and impossible to deal with.

He looks so uncomfortable. His stuff is usually so tight. I don't get it. Dad has a lot of money and buys the kids stuff all the time....but it's so TIGHT. He can't move properly. He has a hard time stretching and bending and twisting and moving.

WHY DO PEOPLE DRESS TODDLERS THIS WAY?! I don't get it
I would tell his dad his clothes don't fit and he needs bigger clothing
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 01-26-2014
I had a family in care a few years ago that were from over seas.

The way they dressed their child was brilliant! I loved it! Think Hannah Andersen...

The kids all wore layers but the basic "uniform" was tights for bottoms, well-fitting socks over the tights/leggings and a snug, well fitted top with long sleeves.

The kids could move, were NEVER restricted and no buttons, zippers, snaps or Velcro closures to irritate the kids or the provider.

From what I gather it is pretty common for families to dress their children this way everywhere other than America.

Seriously, what could be easier? And more child-friendly?

WImom 04:45 PM 01-26-2014
I don't have a child with too small of clothes but a child that is potty trained that wears belts every day that she can not do herself. Her jeans are all adjustable waist but mom doesn't use them and instead gives her a belt. WHY?? I did tell mom once that DCG took off the belt since she didn't like it and we just put the adjustable waist smaller. Hoping to hint! NOPE, still comes in belts. I just take them off now and put them on after nap. DCG also comes in skinny jeans.

I love the kids that come in sweat pants and leggings! So much easier and great for playing in.
Mike 09:08 PM 01-26-2014
Clothes size is one topic I'm prepared for. I have 3 families with kids who know I'm starting daycare in a few months that have been giving me some outgrown clothes. I have some nice clothes for spare in practically all sizes from 0-3m to size 12. My handbook will mention my having spare clothes in case they're needed. That way parents won't be surprised if their child is wearing something different when they pick them up. It will also say that if they come in wearing poor fitting clothes, I can change them.
nannyde 06:09 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Mike:
Clothes size is one topic I'm prepared for. I have 3 families with kids who know I'm starting daycare in a few months that have been giving me some outgrown clothes. I have some nice clothes for spare in practically all sizes from 0-3m to size 12. My handbook will mention my having spare clothes in case they're needed. That way parents won't be surprised if their child is wearing something different when they pick them up. It will also say that if they come in wearing poor fitting clothes, I can change them.
Just be prepared for them to keep anything you send them home in. If it is nice fitting and easy on they will keep for themselves. Getting them to return the clothes is nearly impossible. You will hear every excuse from "we can't find them" "we haven't done laundry" to "the dog ate them".

The only chance of getting them back is if Dad dresses the child for day care and doesn't realize it's clothing from day care.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have had clothing returned in twenty years. Some providers put "property of X day care on them" which often just becomes a souvenir and some put opposite gender colors to encourage return.
Evansmom 06:17 AM 01-27-2014
Yep what nannyde said.
I used to buy my extra clothes at the thrift shop because I know I'll never see them again. Well, I'd see them again, when the parents dressed their child in the clothes I had lent them but I'd never get them returned.

One person I read about wrote with permanent marker on the front of shirts, down sleeves and along legs of pants Property Of....(name of their daycare) that way the item is easily identified and the parent is less likely to reuse them.
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Just be prepared for them to keep anything you send them home in. If it is nice fitting and easy on they will keep for themselves. Getting them to return the clothes is nearly impossible. You will hear every excuse from "we can't find them" "we haven't done laundry" to "the dog ate them".

The only chance of getting them back is if Dad dresses the child for day care and doesn't realize it's clothing from day care.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have had clothing returned in twenty years. Some providers put "property of X day care on them" which often just becomes a souvenir and some put opposite gender colors to encourage return.
I've heard of providers requiring the items back within a certain amount of time or charging the parents for replacements.

Like anything else in this business, money can alter the outcome of unwanted behaviors.
sally 06:33 AM 01-27-2014
I had the oppositeproblem. I had a little boy who used to come in pants that were too big. I watched from from 18 months until he was 2. He was so thin and his legs were like pipe cleaners. They wouldn't put him in pants that fit him. They believed that since he was close to 24 months he had to wear 24 months pants. When he walked his pants fell down to his ankles after the first step. I ended up putting adjustible waist 12 month pants on him after drop off and i changed him back right before pick up.
Mike 07:26 PM 01-27-2014
I'm not too concerned about getting them back. If the parents want them, fine. I don't expect to be needing to do that very often, plus, I have a few sources for free replacements.
Nebula 10:45 AM 01-28-2014
There must be a murphy rule that the cuter the clothing is, the more troublesome and annoying it is to deal with. You know what I have? Onesies with no snaps, or generally anything which requires you to completely undress a child to change their diaper. but even more annoying is shoes that are too tight and hard to get on.......

Now as far as loaner clothes, I tend to wash the kids soiled clothes and put them back on, and if it is a size issue I put them in my spares until pickup time, then change them back. I also have in my handbook that I charge $1 per item per day of loaned clothing that is not returned, and that after $25 days the item is theirs to keep. I always have returned clothes lol
Nebula 10:50 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I tend to dress them in my clothes and before pickup put them back in their own clothes. If they soil their clothes I will wash them and put them back on them, I realize loaned clothes never come back.
TaylorTots 02:07 PM 01-28-2014
I don't do spare clothes. If your child has a accident(s) and you have not provided enough spare clothing, you will be called to come pick up. I let parents know when I am low on clothing for their child and one of my preschooler's parents refuse to bring any. Her one accident is a pick up call.
Nebula 02:52 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
I don't do spare clothes. If your child has a accident(s) and you have not provided enough spare clothing, you will be called to come pick up. I let parents know when I am low on clothing for their child and one of my preschooler's parents refuse to bring any. Her one accident is a pick up call.
If they bring you clothes when you call, can the child stay? Or is it an automatic gone for the day?
SilverSabre25 09:24 AM 01-31-2014
so what do i say? he's back from Dad's today and once again....TIGHT 24 mo pants that barely fit even after loosening them, 18 mo onesie with a 12 mo t-shirt on top.

Do I address mom (with whom I have the contract and most of the contact and relationship)? Do I address dad? And what the crap do I say? "Hey you dress your child like a moron, get a clue?"
Nebula 09:39 AM 01-31-2014
so what do i say? he's back from Dad's today and once again....TIGHT 24 mo pants that barely fit even after loosening them, 18 mo onesie with a 12 mo t-shirt on top.

Do I address mom (with whom I have the contract and most of the contact and relationship)? Do I address dad? And what the crap do I say? "Hey you dress your child like a moron, get a clue?"
LOL maybe not that harsh. How about Writing a list of local charities and saying "I noticed dcb has been wearing too small and uncomfortable clothes. There are lots of charities to get free clothes if you need help buying clothes".

I know it isn't neccesary, but might play on the embarassment factor for the dad and spark him to action.?
Meyou 09:46 AM 01-31-2014

I would say something like, "Hey DCM, junior is getting bigger and is much more agile that even a few months ago. He's getting frustrated attempting various things because his pants are a little snug for play. Super cute though! Maybe you could grab a couple of pairs of joggers for him to wear for play here?"
Tags:appropriate clothing, hipster, toddler
Reply Up