Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"But You CAN'T Be Out Of Diapers Yet!"
Pestle 02:08 PM 06-27-2017
I'm switching to providing my own. Partly because I don't want to deal with arguing with parents over whether or not I could possibly have used all the diapers they brought. I had a text fight with a parent over whether or not they were going to make me wait until the right size diapers arrived in the mail later in the week!

It's coming from two of my parents at this point. Anybody else have parents react with incredulity that you've run out of diapers?
Leigh 02:18 PM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I'm switching to providing my own. Partly because I don't want to deal with arguing with parents over whether or not I could possibly have used all the diapers they brought. I had a text fight with a parent over whether or not they were going to make me wait until the right size diapers arrived in the mail later in the week!

It's coming from two of my parents at this point. Anybody else have parents react with incredulity that you've run out of diapers?
I have. It's why I have started providing EVERYTHING myself. I raised my rates by $17.50 per week and buy it all myself. I figured that everything comes to about $7 per child when I spread it across the group, so I profit $10.50 per week, per child, and I no longer fight with parents over diapers, wipes, sunscreen, etc.
finsup 02:26 PM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have. It's why I have started providing EVERYTHING myself. I raised my rates by $17.50 per week and buy it all myself. I figured that everything comes to about $7 per child when I spread it across the group, so I profit $10.50 per week, per child, and I no longer fight with parents over diapers, wipes, sunscreen, etc.
Yup, I did the same for the same types of reasons. Got tired of the arguments and threats of turning away at the door, then the rude attitudes etc. Raised rates and covered it myself, much less stress on my part!
Pestle 02:28 PM 06-27-2017
So are they just leaving their kids to stew at home, or do you think they change diapers reasonably often at home but don't pay as close attention to how many they're using? I wouldn't consider "my child's genitalia" a good place to cut costs. Rash treatment isn't exactly cost-effective, if you're going to be THAT utilitarian.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:34 PM 06-27-2017
I have never had this issue. They OVER supply with me diapers and I have to find a space to store them!

There is usually an estimated number of diapers you will go through each day/week, so it should not be so surprising when they need to be refilled. If it is an issue, I would tell them you will begin providing diapers at $$ extra per week. And then you get to control the type and amount you use and they don't have to worry about it! Win Win!

For infants, I average about 4-5 per day. For toddlers, it is closer to 3-4. This is in a 9-10 hour time period. Of course, I change them in between if needed.
Cat Herder 02:43 PM 06-27-2017
I had more issues with parents providing the wrong size.

The smaller size you buy, the more that are in the pack.

Yep, we are all on to those parents, too.
Pestle 02:59 PM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

And the poop stains that result don't seem to be a deterrent.
Silly Songs 07:09 PM 06-27-2017
In childcare centers, we are required to change infants and toddlers every 2 hours. We went through many diapers per day. If we ran out, after reminders, we would use another child's stash and then replace them when a parent finally brought them in. Naturally, the supply would get low quickly after giving back the ones we borrowed.
bklsmum 07:14 PM 06-27-2017
I used to have parents that would complain until I changed my policy to one large sleeve per month dropped of the last Friday of the month before they are being used. Last time I raised my rates I figured in the cost of extra diapers for each kid and I just supply if they go over the sleeve but most don't, usually I have extra and we change every two hours or more as needed.
AmyKidsCo 08:04 PM 06-27-2017
No, but my policies state that I will provider "consumable" items like diapers, wipes, etc, for an "extra fee." So far I haven't had to charge it, but it's there if I need it.

I wouldn't want the expense of providing them, but if you don't mind, go for it.

Or you could offer to provider them on a week by week basis for an extra (super high) fee, charged ahead of time. Then if a parent doesn't bring the diapers, charge the fee and provide them for the next week. That'll give them a week to bring the diapers or pay the fee again next week.
Leigh 09:46 PM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
No, but my policies state that I will provider "consumable" items like diapers, wipes, etc, for an "extra fee." So far I haven't had to charge it, but it's there if I need it.

I wouldn't want the expense of providing them, but if you don't mind, go for it.

Or you could offer to provider them on a week by week basis for an extra (super high) fee, charged ahead of time. Then if a parent doesn't bring the diapers, charge the fee and provide them for the next week. That'll give them a week to bring the diapers or pay the fee again next week.
I understand wanting to avoid the expense. I thought long and hard about that, too. However, I come out over $100/week AHEAD by providing these things (because of raising rates when I started providing), and I load up on diapers when they're on sale. I have 3 big boxes of Pampers Swaddlers, size 5 (372 diapers) coming July 6th, and I paid $34.49 for those boxes. That's just over 9 cents each! I change every 2 hours, barring a need in between, and average 4 changes a day (most of my kids get dropped off late AND picked up early these days!) per child. This means that I take in $325.50 for the 18.6 weeks these should last, and my cost was only $34.49 for ALL THREE boxes! That's $291 in PROFIT and money I'd have never seen before I started providing diapers. My parents love it, and I think that when I tell them at interviews that I provide EVERYTHING, they think that my rate being higher than other childcares is totally worth it because they're using MY diapers, wipes, etc. When I figured my rates, I figured an average of 25 cents per diaper. I'm not paying anywhere near that. I charged ALL of my families my increased rate, so the 8 kids that I have that are NOT in diapers pay that increased rate, as well. I figured that it costs me about $7 per child to provide everything, and I upped rates by $17.50. I truly doubt that I ever come close to that $7 per child that I had estimated it to cost.
Leigh 09:52 PM 06-27-2017
Tried to edit, but I was too slow (dang 5 minute limit!). I'm just going to copy and past my edited response:

I understand wanting to avoid the expense. I thought long and hard about that, too. However, I come out over $100/week AHEAD by providing these things (because of raising rates when I started providing), and I load up on diapers when they're on sale. I have 3 big boxes of Pampers Swaddlers, size 5 (372 diapers) coming July 6th, and I paid $34.49 for those boxes. That's just over 9 cents each! I change every 2 hours, barring a need in between, and average 4 changes a day (most of my kids get dropped off late AND picked up early these days!) per child. This means that I take in $325.50 for the 18.6 weeks these should last, and my cost was only $34.49 for ALL THREE boxes! That's $291 in PROFIT and money I'd have never seen before I started providing diapers. This is the profit for ONE child. Take that times 4 other kids who are in diapers, then, the 8 kids who are NOT in diapers still pay the extra $17.50 per week. I'd guess (I'm not doing math at midnight!) that I come out $5000-$7000 ahead every year because of this switch. I do also provide and that's My parents love it, and I think that when I tell them at interviews that I provide EVERYTHING, they think that my rate being higher than other childcares is totally worth it because they're using MY diapers, wipes, etc. When I figured my rates, I figured an average of 25 cents per diaper. I'm not paying anywhere near that. I charged ALL of my families my increased rate, so the 8 kids that I have that are NOT in diapers pay that increased rate, as well. I figured that it costs me about $7 per child to provide everything, and I upped rates by $17.50. I truly doubt that I ever come close to that $7 per child that I had estimated it to cost. I buy sunscreen on the cheap, too, from Amazon or Jet.com (just bought a bunch of BIG-like, the double sized-cans on Jet.com for $4.58 per can).
LysesKids 05:00 AM 06-28-2017
Tried to edit, but I was too slow (dang 5 minute limit!). I'm just going to copy and past my edited response:

I understand wanting to avoid the expense. I thought long and hard about that, too. However, I come out over $100/week AHEAD by providing these things (because of raising rates when I started providing), and I load up on diapers when they're on sale. I have 3 big boxes of Pampers Swaddlers, size 5 (372 diapers) coming July 6th, and I paid $34.49 for those boxes. That's just over 9 cents each! I change every 2 hours, barring a need in between, and average 4 changes a day (most of my kids get dropped off late AND picked up early these days!) per child. This means that I take in $325.50 for the 18.6 weeks these should last, and my cost was only $34.49 for ALL THREE boxes! That's $291 in PROFIT and money I'd have never seen before I started providing diapers. This is the profit for ONE child. Take that times 4 other kids who are in diapers, then, the 8 kids who are NOT in diapers still pay the extra $17.50 per week. I'd guess (I'm not doing math at midnight!) that I come out $5000-$7000 ahead every year because of this switch. I do also provide and that's My parents love it, and I think that when I tell them at interviews that I provide EVERYTHING, they think that my rate being higher than other childcares is totally worth it because they're using MY diapers, wipes, etc. When I figured my rates, I figured an average of 25 cents per diaper. I'm not paying anywhere near that. I charged ALL of my families my increased rate, so the 8 kids that I have that are NOT in diapers pay that increased rate, as well. I figured that it costs me about $7 per child to provide everything, and I upped rates by $17.50. I truly doubt that I ever come close to that $7 per child that I had estimated it to cost. I buy sunscreen on the cheap, too, from Amazon or Jet.com (just bought a bunch of BIG-like, the double sized-cans on Jet.com for $4.58 per can).
See providing diapers here makes no sense for 2 reasons; 1st all but one family uses cloth lol, 2nd I have no space to store diapers because of limited storage in my small home. I do supply wipes, but never had issues with parents running short
Jupadia 05:14 AM 06-28-2017
So far all my familys are good about bringing them when requested. They all buy diffrent kinds depending on what they like best so I find its easier to let them supply their own. I actually have a family who will just bring some if they think I may have gone threw their supply and bring a big box each time. I uselly try too give parents a least a week heads up that I need a resupply that way they can bring a whole case in after going shopping that week.
daycarediva 05:20 AM 06-28-2017

I understand wanting to avoid the expense. I thought long and hard about that, too. However, I come out over $100/week AHEAD by providing these things (because of raising rates when I started providing), and I load up on diapers when they're on sale. I have 3 big boxes of Pampers Swaddlers, size 5 (372 diapers) coming July 6th, and I paid $34.49 for those boxes. That's just over 9 cents each! I change every 2 hours, barring a need in between, and average 4 changes a day (most of my kids get dropped off late AND picked up early these days!) per child. This means that I take in $325.50 for the 18.6 weeks these should last, and my cost was only $34.49 for ALL THREE boxes! That's $291 in PROFIT and money I'd have never seen before I started providing diapers. My parents love it, and I think that when I tell them at interviews that I provide EVERYTHING, they think that my rate being higher than other childcares is totally worth it because they're using MY diapers, wipes, etc. When I figured my rates, I figured an average of 25 cents per diaper. I'm not paying anywhere near that. I charged ALL of my families my increased rate, so the 8 kids that I have that are NOT in diapers pay that increased rate, as well. I figured that it costs me about $7 per child to provide everything, and I upped rates by $17.50. I truly doubt that I ever come close to that $7 per child that I had estimated it to cost.

yes, yes yes.

I just increased rates and supply everything.
Blackcat31 05:52 AM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I have never had this issue. They OVER supply with me diapers and I have to find a space to store them!
This is the experience I've had too. I have one mom in particular that I've actually had to tell her to stop buying diapers for here . She buys cases on sale in the current size and the next size and then thinks I'm going to store 4 cases of diapers for her....um no.

I have parents that mostly feel I change too often or more often then they themselves do. One commented, "I always know when I get to half way in a package that you will have used up a full package"...maybe because your kid is here MORE than half the time they are at home.

Mostly though the only comments I've gotten is that I sometimes change too much but changing every two hours whether wet or soiled or not at all works for me. I, of course change in-between the 2 hour time frame if necessary but I will admit there are times in which I've changed a perfectly dry diaper. However, routine and consistency is my guide so it is what it is.
Leigh 07:17 AM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is the experience I've had too. I have one mom in particular that I've actually had to tell her to stop buying diapers for here . She buys cases on sale in the current size and the next size and then thinks I'm going to store 4 cases of diapers for her....um no.

I have parents that mostly feel I change too often or more often then they themselves do. One commented, "I always know when I get to half way in a package that you will have used up a full package"...maybe because your kid is here MORE than half the time they are at home.

Mostly though the only comments I've gotten is that I sometimes change too much but changing every two hours whether wet or soiled or not at all works for me. I, of course change in-between the 2 hour time frame if necessary but I will admit there are times in which I've changed a perfectly dry diaper. However, routine and consistency is my guide so it is what it is.
If you're sending them home in a fresh diaper at 5:30, they get a bath and ready for bed sometime around 7:30-8:00, the parents are changing ONE diaper before bed and (hopefully) one upon waking. They don't see their kids for as many waking hours as we do during the week. Honestly, I think that because we take care of most of those changes during the week that some parents just don't make it a habit to keep diapers dry.

Then you have parents like me, who told the pediatrician that my child was sleeping alright, and that I thought he could sleep through the night but that he often woke up while I was changing his diaper. I remember the instructions from the hospital: Change diaper about every 2 hours. I took it too seriously and would set an alarm to change him in the middle of the night to keep that 2 hour interval! I've had those moms, too, who would ask me to change their child at every pickup because they felt wet (even though they had been changed, literally, 4 minutes before mom picked up). If the child truly needs a change, I'll do it-some kids like to poop as soon as their parent pulls into my drive. If not, I hand Mom a diaper.
nannyde 09:17 AM 06-28-2017
When they bring diapers I just write on the sleeve the date and count. When they say I went thru too many I can show them the packaging and tell them the date and number used per day.
laundrymom 09:59 AM 06-28-2017
My policy:::

Parents provide all diapers, diaper wipes, diaper creams, lotions, sunscreen, etc. I will inform you when an item
needs replacing and if parent chooses not to replace I will purchase item for child and charge actual cost plus a
$15.00 convenience fee.

And if they cloth diaper and dont send enough I replace w disposables. I get that they're expensive. But KIDS are expensive. It's a fact of life.
Here they go through more because they eat more, drink more, and are here more.
It's just the way it is.
Renae82 01:42 PM 06-29-2017

Mine tend to buy them too big lol
Miss A 08:30 AM 06-30-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
When they bring diapers I just write on the sleeve the date and count. When they say I went thru too many I can show them the packaging and tell them the date and number used per day.

I do this too. I have never had an issue with parents not supplying diapers though. I change on average 4-5 diapers pet day for 18 months and younger, 3-4 per day for toddlers. I tell parents to expect to use 20-25 diapers while in care each week. Most all parents provide me with a case of diapers that last a little over a month, and are always happy to replenish.
daycare 08:48 AM 06-30-2017
I should be lucky I have not had this issue yet. But I also have the rule that if the child doesnt have the supplies they can't be dropped off.
BrynleeJean 09:46 AM 06-30-2017

Here Here!
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 10:58 AM 06-30-2017
I'm in the "charge more and supply everything" boat. The one thing that keeps me there is not having to remember who needs more diapers and rememberin to remind parents. I'm the worst in that department and it's just one less thing I have to remember to remember. I tend to be super talkative with parents about how our day was and then forget to tell them the boring stuff, like needing diapers, lol. Then I would spend the evening trying to remind myself to text theme about it. By providing my own I can avoid this whole situation, for me this happened a lot. I would tell parents all about activities, food, behaviors, what was actually in thE diaper, and completely space on telling then I needed more.
Pestle 11:09 AM 06-30-2017
I have a family that keeps sending their kid with not quite enough of anything--diapers, formula, clean clothes, etc. And they're still trying to put her into the clothes that match her age, not her actual size. So today's theme song (to the tune of "Hungry Eyes") is:

Thunder thighs
Don't take a genius to realize
Your pants are
The wrong size
I tug and tug but they just won't slide

Leigh 11:33 AM 06-30-2017
I have a family that keeps sending their kid with not quite enough of anything--diapers, formula, clean clothes, etc. And they're still trying to put her into the clothes that match her age, not her actual size. So today's theme song (to the tune of "Hungry Eyes") is:

Thunder thighs
Your pants are
The wrong size
And, the Grammy goes to:........PESTLE! Best Songwriting!
Unregistered 11:59 AM 06-30-2017
I tell the parents I change diapers every 2 hours. I change them right when they arrive because you never know if they are wearing the diaper from last night. So on average its about 4 - 5 diapers a day. I actaully have the opposite problem and parents bring me too many.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 12:13 PM 06-30-2017
Technical difficulties.
Bookworm 06:51 PM 07-06-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
This is what I do. I have a form that I fill out telling the date I sent home a diaper and/or wipe request. When the bring in diapers, I then count them and document the amount on my form. I can tell you from experience that once the patents know you have a system for maintaining "inventory", they usually back off.
LysesKids 07:25 PM 07-06-2017

Thunder thighs
Your pants are
The wrong size
I have the twin family, but the dck is a 6 month old boy ( he is 25 pounds & mom is squeezing him into 6-9 month clothes)... I'm trying to replace them for numerous reasons, but no takers on a spot yet
284878 08:18 PM 07-06-2017
My system is to count the diapers and other supplies I have left on the child's last day for the week. If I do not have enough to last me another week (and a day) I send a note home saying I need the following (diapers, wipes, clothes)

I had one DCM that did question me needing diapers, she came on Monday without them and asked are you sure you need more, I just brought some last Monday. (which was true) I explained that I had enough for most of the week but I would run out mid-Thursday (their last day). I then explained that I always do a count and request more at the end of the week so they have the whole weekend to get the supplies together, instead of having to rush to the store at night for the next day. She understood and never questioned my supply again.

I do like bookworms inventory list, I attempted to do that when I first opened but could not find a good flow to do it.
renodeb 09:40 PM 07-06-2017
I started out having the parents provide diapers and wipes and I had nothing but problems. Parents forgetting to bring more (for sometimes days) complaining that I used to many wipes. The list goes on. Finally I sent out a notice saying that I was going to start providing everything. Problem solved.
I actually had a parent complain that I was wasting wipes. (that child had some bad bms) One time of her witnessing a nasty diaper change and she never said anything again!
Deb
Tags:diapers provided
Reply Up