Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer Break
CityGarden 01:02 PM 02-09-2018
I am revising my policies and was wondering what you all do for summer.

How much time do you take off for summer?

Is the time paid/unpaid?

When do you take off? (i.e. one week in June and one week in August, the entire summer, the month of August, whenever you plan to vacation with family, etc.)
Homebody 01:08 PM 02-09-2018
Last year we took off the first full week of July, and are doing it again this year. We also take off from Christmas Eve Day through New Years Day.
MissAnn 01:20 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
Last year we took off the first full week of July, and are doing it again this year. We also take off from Christmas Eve Day through New Years Day.
I usually take off the week of 4th of July. It’s my unpaid vacation. Most of my kids go down to part time in the summer. I am really poor in the summer. Teachers kids.
BrynleeJean 04:25 PM 02-09-2018
I take a full week paid sometime during the summer depending on vacation plans, but have considered closing for a few months , finding clients that will work with and not charging of course, just to reset and be able to enjoy those sunny days out and about not stuck in the house.
storybookending 05:02 PM 02-09-2018
I take off July 4th paid and last year I also took off the 3rd unpaid just because I didn’t want to open for one day (my slow day anyways) and then be off. I spent the morning with my niece while her mom was at work and we met her for lunch and had a girls day.

This year I am also taking my birthday off. It has been on a weekend since I’ve opened and I wrote that in as a paid day for my 2018 contracts.
Josiegirl 05:45 AM 02-10-2018
Last year I took a couple extra long weekends. But usually I save my longer vacation for during Christmas when all my kids are home from far away. This year I might opt for a 3 day weekend somewhere but have no plans as of yet, except July 4th I'll be closed, closing early the day before for a dental appointment. Woo-eee.
I charge 52 weeks a year. All dcfs know that going in so if they complain, I close my ears to it. I don't abuse time off.
CityGarden 08:37 AM 02-10-2018
Last summer I took 3 weeks in August paid....

I am debating my options this summer.
CityGarden 12:20 PM 02-12-2018
bumping to see what more of you do with summer.
Mom2Two 02:24 PM 02-12-2018
I usually lose a family at the end of the school year and I take a week off unpaid in June. I start interviewing again in July, and I take another week off unpaid at the beginning of August.

I am also very poor in Summer, but it's a trade off, because I love our easy-going Summers. Last Summer I did quite a few field trips for DD and her 4/5/6 yo daycare friends.

Poor...but worth it for me.
Blackcat31 03:01 PM 02-12-2018
I always take Memorial Day weekend off Friday and Monday.
Labor Day weekend as well (Friday and Monday) but I also take a full week off over the 4th of July.

Those are set in stone.

Some summers I take a day or two here and there and other summers I don't take any more than the above days.

It depends on my current group of families/kids and my plans for the summer.

I set aside X amount of days per year to be used as I see fit. I don't assign "vacation" or "sick" to any of them and just take them for whatever reason(s) I feel I need to.

I will credit or refund parents for any days above and beyond my allotted paid closed days per year.
Cat Herder 07:36 AM 02-13-2018
I take less time off in the summer. Just the federal holidays. Summer heat and I are not friends, anymore, and lawn/garden/home maintenance takes up the majority of my free time, then.

I take most of my vacation time in Mid Spring and Early Fall. I also (usually) take the week of Christmas.

I "don't charge" for my vacations, but that amount is already figured in to the annual tuition rate. When I cancel a vacation I actually make extra income.
momofsix 12:04 PM 02-13-2018
The past three years I've closed completely for the summer (mid june- mid August). I had mainly teacher families, and those that weren't teacher families found summer care. I LOVED it! This year I'll be working the summer so I can rebuild up our savings after a kitchen remodel last summer.
I'll be down a couple of kids for the whole summer, and most families are taking at least one week vacation so I'll definitely have less kids.
CityGarden 11:25 PM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by momofsix:
The past three years I've closed completely for the summer (mid june- mid August). I had mainly teacher families, and those that weren't teacher families found summer care. I LOVED it! This year I'll be working the summer so I can rebuild up our savings after a kitchen remodel last summer.
I'll be down a couple of kids for the whole summer, and most families are taking at least one week vacation so I'll definitely have less kids.
I really really want to take August off and not charge tuition but I am not sure my parents can handle it. They are all SAHMs expect two one of which is a WAHM with lots of family close by, the other is in an office without much help.
Tags:summer - closed, summer rates, tuition breakdown, vacations
Reply Up