Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Let Your Children Sleep As Long As They Want?
Breezy 06:49 AM 06-05-2012
Today is DCG's second day and it is a very tough transition for her. She came in all smiles but as soon as she realized that her mom was leaving, she started crying and clinging. Mom said she was like this every day for her old sitter too. Makes me wonder if maybe thats why the old sitter didn't want to do it anymore.

ANYWAY, She is scared, I know that. And I understand and I am not frustrated at all with her. The only thing that gets her to stop crying and warm up is if I get my DS up to play with her. He usually sleeps 'til 7-8 but DCG gets here at 6am. Today I woke him up at 630 and I can tell he is still sleepy but will be fine 'til nap time.

Tomorrow I am thinking maybe I will get him up a few minutes before she gets here so he is up playing when she arrives. Would that be selfish of me?

Poor girl keeps walking to the door and saying bye bye...
Countrygal 06:53 AM 06-05-2012
I make sure dgs gets to bed early enough to get up before dck get here. Even when they got here at 5:30. VERY occasionally, if he's had a late night for some unavoidable reason, I will let him sleep in, but that has probably only been twice in the last 6 months.

I'm not really being selfish, I don't think. It's just what works best for everyone, including dgs. We get a few moments of "alone" time before the kids come for hugs and kisses and "good mornings" and he isn't rushed to get ready so he can go play. It works for us.
Kiki 06:56 AM 06-05-2012
I let my kids sleep until they wake up in the mornings, but, I have mostly older kids here, so they don't really notice if my girls aren't awake yet. They'll ask on some days if they are still sleeping, at school, what not, but they don't really bug me to wake them up.

Maybe instead of waking up your own son so you don't throw off his routine, you can think of an activity that DCG can do in the morning that is special and just for her? How old is she? Depending on how old she is that might be tough, but it still might be a better option than throwing off a routine for someone else.
Breezy 06:59 AM 06-05-2012
Thats exactly what I was thinking! That it would be so nice to get him up when the house is quiet and there are no other kids because I feel sooooo guilty when he wakes up to kids already playing in the living room. Or being woken up by crying or screaming from my screamer.

It would be so much better to be woken by mommy and to give kisses and hugs and get dressed in a quiet house. Maybe see daddy before he goes to work and get kisses from him!
Breezy 07:01 AM 06-05-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
I let my kids sleep until they wake up in the mornings, but, I have mostly older kids here, so they don't really notice if my girls aren't awake yet. They'll ask on some days if they are still sleeping, at school, what not, but they don't really bug me to wake them up.

Maybe instead of waking up your own son so you don't throw off his routine, you can think of an activity that DCG can do in the morning that is special and just for her? How old is she? Depending on how old she is that might be tough, but it still might be a better option than throwing off a routine for someone else.
She is 16 months. All she wants to do before DS is up is go outside. Im not sure if its to play or because she thinks her mommy is out there.. I considered taking the monitor out and letting her play in the yard.
spud912 07:38 AM 06-05-2012
I let my kids sleep in as late as possible. It is best for their moods and my sanity . That is why I try to not take in any children before 7 am (although right now everyone comes after 7:30). For the earlier children, I give them quiet activities (either resting, reading books, puzzles, play dough, etc.). If I were you, I would snag the monitor and take her outside!
sharlan 08:00 AM 06-05-2012
Yes, I let my grandson sleep as late as he wants.

It is not his responsibility to entertain the other kids, that's my job.
Kim 08:10 AM 06-05-2012
My kids sleep as late as they want. Sometimes I have to wake DS up at 8 so he isn't late for school. Sleeping late is a perk for them of having a mom that works from home. My daycare area is downstairs/separate area so they come down and join us when they are ready. I don't want my kids to feel like they are working like me and resent the daycare kids.
Kiki 08:28 AM 06-05-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
She is 16 months. All she wants to do before DS is up is go outside. Im not sure if its to play or because she thinks her mommy is out there.. I considered taking the monitor out and letting her play in the yard.
It might be because she thinks her mom is there, but who knows, maybe she likes being outside a lot or something. Try taking her out tomorrow and see how it goes!
Breezy 08:35 AM 06-05-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
It might be because she thinks her mom is there, but who knows, maybe she likes being outside a lot or something. Try taking her out tomorrow and see how it goes!
I was thinking the same because all she does is stand near the door. When ever anyone else drops off and its not her parent at the door she gets very upset. I feel so bad for her.
daycare 08:49 AM 06-05-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:

ditto on this..

I do feel bad sometimes that my child has to wake up to someone playing toys in his house, but that is why I made him his own special spot and toy closet in the house that is only his. I don't think he feels upset about the situation as much as I do.

I would not wake up a sleeping child in the morning, unless I had somewhere I had that I had to leave to.
Breezy 08:59 AM 06-05-2012
Yep you ladies are right. Never doing it again!! He is definitely cranky now and ready to nap.
Hunni Bee 10:29 AM 06-05-2012

I agree. And she's gotta find her own happiness, not depend on you or other kids.
mema 11:37 AM 06-05-2012
I let mine sleep however long unless it interferes with getting ready for school

DS is getting to the preteen I wanna sleep stage. He knows that even if he sleeps in, bedtime is still bedtime.

DD doesn't sleep in as often, but she also doesn't entertain the kiddos. In fact, most of the summer she is only "around" during rest time and meals. She doesn't really like to hang with the kids most days. When certain ones are gone, then she likes it, but I'm not going to make her stay in the dc area in her own house.

If they were littler, I still wouldn't wake them. Who wants to deal with a crabby toddler? Not me, at least if I can avoid it. She needs to be able to entertain herself. I would just let him be.
countrymom 11:44 AM 06-05-2012
I would put her back down to sleep. That is really early for her to be up. I would also do quick drop offs too, I have 3 of little that are 14,15 and 16 months. they all took over a month to get use to my house and they all started at a year. I also find that i have a special spot where I keep some crackers for the littles. The minute they get here they all go to the spot to get a snack and moms leave without a problem.
Breezy 12:06 PM 06-05-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I would put her back down to sleep. That is really early for her to be up. I would also do quick drop offs too, I have 3 of little that are 14,15 and 16 months. they all took over a month to get use to my house and they all started at a year. I also find that i have a special spot where I keep some crackers for the littles. The minute they get here they all go to the spot to get a snack and moms leave without a problem.
Good suggestions! The first day we went to look at the doggies but that made her want ro play outside. Today we went to the toys and that upset her.

I asked dad today at pick up if she went outside right when she got to her old DC and he said yes. So i bet you anything she is used to that routine! Fine by me, the next 3 days I will only have her and DS so DS can sleep til his heart desires and I will grab the monitor and head outside with her right away. Then when DS wakes up we can have breakfast since she has a small breakfast before leaving home.

I have been napping her at 815-830 and she has been sleeping until 10 or later and then up for lunch and stuff. Her schedule is somewhat opposite everyone else but thats ok since she leaves so early.
jojosmommy 12:17 PM 06-05-2012

I agree! I wouldnt want her being dependent on my child. Plus I don't use my kids for other peoples pleasure.
Countrygal 12:55 PM 06-05-2012
Actually, I don't usually have to wake dgs up. In fact, on the weekends when I'd love to sleep in, he's up and at 'em anyway....

As for it being a routine it IS a routine, and routines change throughout life to accomodate our lives. I don't think it's being mean at all. But we have always been ones to get up early and get at our days! Used to drive one of my own kids nuts!

Honestly, Breezy, I'd do what works best for you right now. If you think it's best he gets up and has that alone time with the family, it won't be hard to change his routine. In a week or two he'll be waking up all on his own. You may, however, want to put him to bed that much earlier at night, tho!

My personal opinion here is that most of you are being too hard on Breezy. Terms like "use my own kids for other people's pleasure" and "it's not his responsibility to entertain the other kids" seem pretty harsh. This is not what she said nor what she intended. My dgs LOVES getting up before the other kids come. Noone forces him. If I had a job I'd have to get him up even earlier. We all have to find what works for our own family, our own dckids and our own lives.

I'm glad that your routines work good for you. You should have that option. So should Breezy. If you want to help her explore the pros and cons fine, but I think some of you were being too harsh.

OK, I"ll shut up now.
Reply Up