Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Does The Average 18 Mo Sleep?
sahm2three 01:21 PM 11-02-2012
I have an 18 mo dcb who sleeps about 30 minutes on a good day. Is that normal?
Michael 01:24 PM 11-02-2012
Some related threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...sleep+-+length
cheerfuldom 01:51 PM 11-02-2012
It might be normal for them but that doesnt mean it is healthy. I would tuck them into nap and have them rest whether they actually sleep or not, for at least 2 hours a day. Most of my kids do at least 3 hours a day up to 3 years old. I would imagine this little one does not know how to self soothe to the next sleep cycle and has built some bad habits. Just because they are up does not mean that they are not tired still.
Heidi 07:00 PM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
It might be normal for them but that doesnt mean it is healthy. I would tuck them into nap and have them rest whether they actually sleep or not, for at least 2 hours a day. Most of my kids do at least 3 hours a day up to 3 years old. I would imagine this little one does not know how to self soothe to the next sleep cycle and has built some bad habits. Just because they are up does not mean that they are not tired still.

First of all, wait a good 5 minutes to go in. Then, go into the room (hopefully you have a seperate space...dark and quiet...white noise) and whisper "It's still nap time. I will come get you when nap time is over". Then...leave and come back when it's officially over.

Day one will be a scream fest
Day 5 he will sleep 2 hours
Day 7 (following Monday) will be another scream fest
Then, all the sudden, he'll get it and sleep a couple hours each day

You know he's "done" when you hear him singing or talking upon waking vs. screaming. Crib-talk equals enough sleep. Cranking and crying means he's still tired.
Tags:sleep - length
Reply Up