Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Worker Respect From Kids
daisymae31 01:08 PM 01-22-2013
I work at a daycare center. I've been a preschool teacher there since August. My boss, the owner of the daycare, continues to tell me that my classroom management is lacking and that I don't make a connection with the parents as they drop off their kids. I don't know what else to do. I feel like I am busting my hump at trying to get the kids to behave during circle time, and I am not a type A personality, so just meeting and greeting the parents each day is an effort for me. Frankly, I'm tired of always being told that it's never enough what I do. I feel I am saying hello, asking them how their weekend went, talking about the weather...I don't know what else I am supposed to say to parents as they drop off their kids. I also think it is rather difficult, that I am supposed to have some kids and helping them learn things at one table, while I am supposed to be monitoring kids who are having breakfast at the table behind me (and they constantly get up and down and wander around the room, and I have to direct them back to finish eating their breakfast), while I am also supposed to keep kids on the carpeted area playing whatever center I pulled out (Barbies, lego's, etc). So it's like I have 3 things going on, PLUS, I am supposed to talk to the parents. I feel I do an ok job, but my boss keeps telling me that my warm and fuzzy with the parents isn't enough, that I don't make a connection, and that my classroom management is something I still need to work on. I've been a preschool teacher since last August. I don't know what else to do, to get the kids to respect me, and to be a type-A personality to greet the parents. Any suggestions?
Bkind 01:45 PM 01-22-2013
WATCH A LOT OF SUPER NANNY I found this very helpful
I have been doing care for about 12 to 16 kids not including my own now for about 17 yrs not including my younger days b4 doing this professionally

and as far as those parents be Mary Poppin's (watch this movie)
remember 1 or 2 things they r interested in or their child really depends if it's a parent that would rather talk about them-self or their child like r they into going out to eat, movies,good deals on items, take note so when you r out & about and something in ur life & what u were doing connects you to them important "U 2 THEM ",,,ppl like to think you get get them at a personal level but NEVER get personal outside of your job a must rule to keep to till u no longer care for their child
kids and respect make promises not threats keep to ur word this will go along way
if they like to get up from their seats the next day remember this and start ur day with if u choose to get out of ur seat today while blah blah then u will not blah blah make it ez so u can stick to it

and tone is everything but u have to be careful in ur case but when they r good make sure u tell them often what they did good in low soft kind drown out voice (might look silly but works)& when notty use a deeper quick snapping voice but be careful this could get u in trouble if not done right

also I would ask my boss if i could shadow someone for a day or 2 so you have a good idea what they r looking for have them pout u with someone they think is just great and then copy cat hope this helps best of luck after 3yrs it will come to you like the back of ur hand b/c u will draw ur own lines in that sand how u will deal with things by trial and error I still change how i do things 17yrs later b/c society change and we have to get creative and change with them to communicate effectively to get what we need from ppl
cheerfuldom 02:42 PM 01-22-2013
It is your boss' responsibility to train you appropriately. If they are seeing that you lack some skills, THEY should take the initiative to train you correctly!

"Hey boss, I'd like to talk to you about the recent feedback you have given me. I am doing my best but I do seem to need some help to reach your expectations. What training or hands on help can you give me in order to make sure I do my job correctly?"
heyhun77 03:51 PM 01-22-2013
The thing that helps me with parent relationships is to start a conversation, make a note of things you learn about the family and then bring it back up the next time you see them. For instance, if I learn that they are going to grandmas house for dinner I will ask in the morning how dinner went and did they have fun seeing grandma.

As for the classroom management, can the class have breakfast as a group so everyone is focused on one activity at the same time? Can you start a routine of them asking to be excused from the table when they are done so you know if they are playing or actually done? Overseeing all that activity at the same time is almost an artform and something that is experienced rather than taught/read in a book (IMO). As for getting their attention/respect during group times like circle time are you telling them what behavior you expect? I start my circle time with quiet lotion (permission slips for each child to apply it) then we find our story bodies and start with an opening song that is the same every day. I remind them that we use our story bodies throughout circle time and I'll run down the parts that need attention (pretzel legs, turn up our ears, turn off our voices, eyes on the teacher and warm up our story glue and glue our hands to our legs). If they start to get wiggly we remind them to find their story bodies. Also, keep group times short and sweet until things are under control.

Hopefully this makes sense. I had a tough group that I took over last February and it took us at least 2 months before things were more under control. We have our moments but for the most part we can reign them in pretty quickly. Most of it has to do with reading the room and knowing when it's time to switch things up.
daisymae31 06:24 PM 01-22-2013
I am not allowed to change the morning routine. Some kids are at the breakfast table (which is behind me) while I am with some kids in the worksheet table, and then if kids are done with breakfast, then they go to the worksheet table, then they get to go to the carpeted area and play with centers. While on the carpet, some kids will start arguing over a toy, creating chaos while I am trying to talk to a parent, or helping another child with their worksheet. Some kids on the carpet, in particlar one girl (age 4), will go to the carpet straight from breakfast instead of proceeding to the worksheet table. And once she is on the carpet, will sometimes leave the carpet to wander around the room. There are 18 kids in my room. So I am the only teacher in there. But usually I have no more than 12 at drop off.
Bookworm 06:55 PM 01-22-2013
I'm in SC too. What age are you teaching? If you work with 4 yr olds, then you are out if ratio. What exactly are your classroom rules and why can't you change routine? Please don't take my questions as criticism, just curious.
snips&snails 12:10 AM 01-23-2013
I don't mean this unkindly, but it really sounds like a lot of the necessary elements of the job are very unpleasant to you!! Maybe you should look into a different career path? Or at least a different area of education/chilcare?
My3cents 04:07 AM 01-23-2013
I think that when your boss is around your showing her that you are overwhelmed. Kind of like..........see boss, see what I am dealing with. You probably do fine with greeting parents and taking the children in. I make it known to my parents that my kids come first. I tell them this on interviews. Detailed conversations can be done at a separate time arranged. My eyes need to be on the kids. I have stopped conversations mid way so that I can address the children's needs. My parents understand. It's a balancing act but in this case the kiddo's win every time. Parents see that I am busy and scoot out the door, then at pick up we chat about how sorry we had chopped conversation this morning. They get it. I think a Center is different then home daycare, all depends.

I disagree with the snail icon ( sorry bad with names but great with pictures) saying that you should consider a different career path. I think this is workable. I agree with the person who said to put it back on your boss and ask her to train you in this area that you are struggling with. I also wonder if you have to many kids at this time of day to be able to keep track of them on your own. Sounds like you need an assistant to help you keep the breakfast kids in one place for eating and a 2nd pair of eyes at this time. You are being torn in about 4 places and that can easily multiply out to about 6 or 7 places.

Chin up, sounds like you like your job and are needing help in this area. This is a great place to ask for helps and advice. Take what you can and leave the rest. Best-
My3cents 04:09 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
It is your boss' responsibility to train you appropriately. If they are seeing that you lack some skills, THEY should take the initiative to train you correctly!

"Hey boss, I'd like to talk to you about the recent feedback you have given me. I am doing my best but I do seem to need some help to reach your expectations. What training or hands on help can you give me in order to make sure I do my job correctly?"

melilley 07:27 AM 01-23-2013
I agree with My3cents. I used to work in a center setting (for 14 years) and I think that sometimes directors take for granted that the teachers that work for them know exactly what they want or how they want things done. I would take My3cents' advice and ask your director what you can do to improve to meet her expectations. I know it can be difficult to work with that many kids of that age, but you have to be firm with them and I have found that if you give choices, it is easier to manage the classroom; by that I don't mean give them a choice to do whatever, what I mean is to take the areas that are open. If a child goes to an area that is not open, say something like "James, that area is not open, you may either go here or here. If they still don't listen, firmly but gently say You may either play in the block area or go to the table to color", something along those lines. Also, I was once like you, I found it very difficult to go up to parents and greet them and talk, but I had to get over it, trust me, I am a quiet person and that was very difficult for me to do, but over time I came out of my shell and could talk to them about anything, even the parents that I didn't know very well. Over time you will develop relationships with them, I still talk to some of my parents from years ago. It gets easier the more you do it! Good luck!
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by daisymae31:
I work at a daycare center. I've been a preschool teacher there since August. My boss, the owner of the daycare, continues to tell me that my classroom management is lacking and that I don't make a connection with the parents as they drop off their kids. I don't know what else to do. I feel like I am busting my hump at trying to get the kids to behave during circle time, and I am not a type A personality, so just meeting and greeting the parents each day is an effort for me. Frankly, I'm tired of always being told that it's never enough what I do. I feel I am saying hello, asking them how their weekend went, talking about the weather...I don't know what else I am supposed to say to parents as they drop off their kids. I also think it is rather difficult, that I am supposed to have some kids and helping them learn things at one table, while I am supposed to be monitoring kids who are having breakfast at the table behind me (and they constantly get up and down and wander around the room, and I have to direct them back to finish eating their breakfast), while I am also supposed to keep kids on the carpeted area playing whatever center I pulled out (Barbies, lego's, etc). So it's like I have 3 things going on, PLUS, I am supposed to talk to the parents. I feel I do an ok job, but my boss keeps telling me that my warm and fuzzy with the parents isn't enough, that I don't make a connection, and that my classroom management is something I still need to work on. I've been a preschool teacher since last August. I don't know what else to do, to get the kids to respect me, and to be a type-A personality to greet the parents. Any suggestions?
"Hey Boss, Like the children I learn best from role modeling or a visual lesson.
Could you take over the mornings for a few days and SHOW me how it is done? That way I can clearly see what it is that I am suppose to be doing. Thanks!"

That's how I would handle it.

I doubt very much that your boss realizes or understands how difficult it is to multi-task so many things at once and if she is going to be that strict about what she expects from you, she should be able to demonstrate that it can be done and how it should be done.
Tags:daycare center, respect
Reply Up