Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Times Are Tough...May Have To Call It Quits
providerandmomof4 09:41 PM 08-24-2013
The plan was to go back to working outside the home when my youngest went to KG. My youngest is now starting the 1st grade. Well, plans changed and my grand baby came along. I decided that I would continue dc for a few more years so I could keep my dgd with me while my oldest dd works. The thing is; I don't know if I'll be able to continue to do dc. I lost two when school started and that left me with my dgd and one dcg. So I've been advertising like crazy, fliers, cragislist ad, and just telling everyone I know that I have spots....and nothing. Only one call for a 12mth old and truthfully, I don't think they liked my rates. I thought the interview went well but looking back, I think I may have come across as desperate...ugh! I don't know, they told me they would think it over, and I did hear another word from them. It seemed like for a while there, everyone I interviewed wanted to sign on, and now, I can't even get a call! I think I may have to throw in the towel and start looking for work, then my dgd will have to go to dc with someone else....I'm so sad.
Rachel 10:03 PM 08-24-2013
I'm sorry you are having a rough time! I didn't have a full group this year until the last minute, it sure is stressful. Are you in line with other people in the area? Can you fill a niche? Don't worry about sounding desperate, that's how I got my last kid. Told everyone I knew and one person I knew decided to switch to me. She had no idea I even had a spot. On the side maybe start feeling out for other jobs outside the home, and keep pounding at the daycare, and just see where life takes you. Good luck
Michael 10:38 PM 08-24-2013
I left you a Private Message.
Maria2013 04:48 AM 08-25-2013
I'm sorry you're having a tough time!
I wish you all the good in the world!
MsLaura529 04:50 AM 08-25-2013
It is tough and scary waiting to fill spots. I received my license in April, didn't have my first kid enrolled until May, and just within the last 2 weeks have filled my last 2 spots. (and of course now that I'm full, I've gotten a bunch of calls, go figure). Hang in there, and it will happen.

Like PP said, while you have the time you can start looking around for other jobs in your area, do your research and figure out what would suit you the most. Good luck!
Maria2013 05:01 AM 08-25-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
(and of course now that I'm full, I've gotten a bunch of calls, go figure). Hang in there, and it will happen.
that happens to me too, I wonder why that is

this might sound crazy but has anyone watched the movie "The Secret"?
....what if calls come in when we no longer need them, because we no longer have the fear that we will not fill those spots

just a thought
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 08-25-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
that happens to me too, I wonder why that is
IMHO, calls come in when you are full because it seems people all search for child care at specific times of the year. I suppose it's different in every area but here the last weeks of summer are crazy and the calls pour in.

I rarely get calls during the months of October-December and then it picks up again in the early Spring.

In the last month alone, I received more than 50 calls looking for care. ALOT of them were looking for infant care. Seems in the winter months around here...people are "busier" (if you know what I mean.. ) than in other months so calls for infant care are crazy in the Fall months...

I have been full with a wait list for years but I still interview with callers interested enough to want to be on my wait list. In this business, it's hard to plan when you'll need to fill a space so I rarely turn down an interview with a family that has potential....you just never know...
Crazy8 07:53 AM 08-25-2013
I have been in that position a few times in the past and then some how, some way I end up getting a kid or two and it all works out. I am in a really tough spot right now too where it seems its all I think about 24/7 so I totally sympathize with you!!!
Maria2013 08:11 AM 08-25-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I am in a really tough spot right now too where it seems its all I think about 24/7 so I totally sympathize with you!!!
so sorry
Familycare71 08:54 AM 08-25-2013
I am there with you! I've been here before tho and it always works out so I'm keeping the faith!! I just got a call from a grandma who watches her one year old grandson but he now needs care... Normally something I would run from but ya do what ya gotta do .
Keep plugging along and I hope it works out for You!
Laurel 09:23 AM 08-25-2013
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4:
The plan was to go back to working outside the home when my youngest went to KG. My youngest is now starting the 1st grade. Well, plans changed and my grand baby came along. I decided that I would continue dc for a few more years so I could keep my dgd with me while my oldest dd works. The thing is; I don't know if I'll be able to continue to do dc. I lost two when school started and that left me with my dgd and one dcg. So I've been advertising like crazy, fliers, cragislist ad, and just telling everyone I know that I have spots....and nothing. Only one call for a 12mth old and truthfully, I don't think they liked my rates. I thought the interview went well but looking back, I think I may have come across as desperate...ugh! I don't know, they told me they would think it over, and I did hear another word from them. It seemed like for a while there, everyone I interviewed wanted to sign on, and now, I can't even get a call! I think I may have to throw in the towel and start looking for work, then my dgd will have to go to dc with someone else....I'm so sad.
In our area it all started when the economy tanked. It isn't just me it is all providers. Our inspector said she has half the number of daycare homes open than when she started. She has been the inspector for as long as I can remember. We are even closing our provider association (I am one of the officers) because no one is interested in coming and we used to have 70 plus members. Now we can't even get enough to ask a speaker to come because we are embarrassed that they only have 5 or 6 members to talk to. So we are closing it down this year. A few other associations have closed in our state.

It could just be your area or maybe not. I hope not for you. During good times (for many, many years) I've had slow spells. It is tough.

Laurel
Laurel 09:30 AM 08-25-2013
Also when times are tough my provider friends and I have had to do some things we wouldn't have had to do otherwise.

You might consider lowering your rates. In the past I've advertised on Craigslist for $135 a week rather than $150 (which was the going rate here). I got two children. You can always gradually raise the rates after about a year. My friends said they wouldn't have done that but hey I say some money is better than none.

My other provider friend had to change her hours. Her strictly close at 5:30 changed when a nurse mom need till 7:00 a few days a week. She only used to take full time or charge full time rates for part time but now she has agreed to watch a child part time. Again, something is better than nothing.

Just letting you know, we've been there. I also watch my grandson so wouldn't want to quit till he is ready to leave.

Good luck.

Laurel
cheerfuldom 12:21 PM 08-25-2013
when times got tough here, I definitely had to make concessions as working outside the home is not an option for us. i do not have the education to work a job that would pay for four kids in daycare plus an income. so i did take part timers, lower my rate, accept teachers kids, opened earlier in the morning. I still have that reduced rate ($10 less per week), still have one of those part timers (she's a jewel!) and I find that I am really enjoying working for teacher's. I have no idea what I will do during the summer because I do not charge for summer (again, another concession I made). I can either take one or two school agers for the summer or get a little part time job and figure out childcare for my kids....not sure yet but so far, everything has worked out just fine and we are staying afloat. for me, making these concessions was way better than putting my own kids in daycare and trying to piece together two or even three jobs to pay for it all.
providerandmomof4 12:28 PM 08-25-2013
Well I am pretty psyched! Received a call today for two children! The schedule is early...5-2, but I would much rather have an early schedule that a late...so I will take it if all else is on track...We'll see! I'm excited! It's from someone who happened to see my sign...? That rarely happens to me. Interview tonight! Keep your fingers crossed for me please!
Maria2013 01:01 PM 08-25-2013
Well I am pretty psyched! Received a call today for two children! The schedule is early...5-2, but I would much rather have an early schedule that a late...so I will take it if all else is on track...We'll see! I'm excited! It's from someone who happened to see my sign...? That rarely happens to me. Interview tonight! Keep your fingers crossed for me please!
I;m soooo happy for you!!!
Think positive and all will go well!

Blackcat31 03:09 PM 08-25-2013
Awesome! I hope it is only the beginning of a slew of callers interested in care!

You mentioned the potential clients seeing a sign of yours... how are you currently advertising?

Maybe everyone here can give you some fresh new ideas for advertising ...or maybe some ways of getting your name out there that you haven't tried yet.

Here are some threads about adverting ideas.
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=advertising
Jack Sprat 04:34 PM 08-25-2013
I am there with you all as well! I was full most of the summer and then school started and all my kids left except one! I did get(if mom gets a job she applied for) two. They are full time school age. Meaning they are here very early but both are gone by noon. I charged her full time rates so that she has a spot on breaks etc.

I also raised my rates on drop-ins and now require pre-payment. It is so stressful!! I know it will pick up. But the wait it the hardest part! I feel ya chin up!
MyAngels 06:24 PM 08-25-2013
Good luck with the interview! Let us know how it goes. I totally get not wanting to leave daycare because of the grandkids. I watch my granddaughter and just couldn't even imagine her going to a stranger.
WImom 09:11 AM 08-26-2013
Yay!!
providerandmomof4 05:07 PM 08-26-2013
Well my daycare confidants...my interview was a no call/no show last night After 30 mins, I called her to see if she was coming; she acted completely at a loss as to why I would be calling....Really? Then proceded to say that she completely forgot about our appt. I'm soooo tired of this crap!! It was very awkward and I was pissed but didn't show it. Maybe I should've. She acted desperate when I spoke to her on the phone Sunday morning and that's why I agreed to have an interview on Sunday evening. I don't usually ever give an interview the same day as a call, much less on a Sunday. Gave up my whole day cleaning...Ugh! I'm so frusterated. Well, I guess that's all about that. I told her she could call me today and we could try to reschedule, but she didn't. What a flake. I wish people could just be honest, I mean, if she made other arrangements or whatever the case may be. Just be honest and tell me! Oh well, I am just really having some bad luck lately. I'm not giving up though. We'll see what happens this week.
Familycare71 05:11 PM 08-26-2013
Well my daycare confidants...my interview was a no call/no show last night After 30 mins, I called her to see if she was coming; she acted completely at a loss as to why I would be calling....Really? Then proceded to say that she completely forgot about our appt. I'm soooo tired of this crap!! It was very awkward and I was pissed but didn't show it. Maybe I should've. She acted desperate when I spoke to her on the phone Sunday morning and that's why I agreed to have an interview on Sunday evening. I don't usually ever give an interview the same day as a call, much less on a Sunday. Gave up my whole day cleaning...Ugh! I'm so frusterated. Well, I guess that's all about that. I told her she could call me today and we could try to reschedule, but she didn't. What a flake. I wish people could just be honest, I mean, if she made other arrangements or whatever the case may be. Just be honest and tell me! Oh well, I am just really having some bad luck lately. I'm not giving up though. We'll see what happens this week.
I just don't get people sometimes!! Is it really so hard to make a phone call! On the bright side your house is clean
Hang in there!!!
nannyde 05:39 PM 08-26-2013
I require they call by noon the day of the interview to confirm the interview. If they don't call by noon the interview is cancelled. That way if they do nothing the interview is cancelled.

This is the way to test their compliance with the daycare policies. If they can't manage a one minute call they won't be able to manage my policies.
Maria2013 06:45 PM 08-26-2013
sorry
look at the bright side, at least you got to see what kind of relationship you would have had, don't think you want to work for someone like this and have endless problems later on
Tags:quitting daycare
Reply Up