Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling Bad About DCG
SunshineMama 11:02 AM 02-12-2014
I've posted about this before- 3 year old dcg whose mom wanted her to stop napping.

We are on week 3 of this. The first week, DCG laid down in her cot anyway, and went to sleep. Mom did NOT want her to sleep. So I removed her cot. I think the poor girl is tired, but mom wants her to go to bed at 7:30 every night.

Lately, DCG has been sitting in the room where she is to have her "quiet time." Despite all of the books and toys she can play with, she prefers to sit in the recliner, with a blanket, for the entire duration of everyone else's naptime. She's a sweet girl and doesn't wake anyone else up, so I have allowed her to get up and quietly play, or read during this time. She is instead choosing to just sit and stare off into space.

I am feeling badly that she just sits up there in the recliner for 2 hours. I know she is choosing to do so, but it makes me sad a little, bit. I went in to check in on her and she was just sitting, staring into space with a blanket. I told her she can play quietly or read, and she just said, "I know," and didn't move. I think she is very tired. Maybe she is missing nap time? It just doesn't feel right to me. I wouldn't want my child doing that, but then again, my dd is the exact same age as her and takes 2-3 hour naps everyday because she needs the sleep.

Do you think it's okay to let her just sit there? I told mom I am not waking her up if she falls asleep. I firmly believe that if a child falls asleep, their body needs it, but I know not everyone shares that opinion.
Blackcat31 11:05 AM 02-12-2014
What would happen if you told her it was ok to fall asleep?
melilley 11:09 AM 02-12-2014
She's only 3, it doesn't seem fair that mom would make her stay awake. Here, we have to have rest time and if they fall asleep, they fall asleep. I could see maybe limiting nap time, but if this child is wanting to nap, I don't see how anyone can make her stay awake. It just seems mean. (not on your part, but moms).
CraftyMom 11:14 AM 02-12-2014
Maybe suggest she lay down instead of sitting up. Inevitably she would fall asleep if she were laying down, poor girl is tired! "Dcg you look uncomfortable, would you like to lay down?" Then you can hold up your end of the bargain with not waking a sleeping child
providerandmomof4 11:15 AM 02-12-2014
I think that if she has other options and chooses to just sit...I wouldnt feel bad for her. Sounds like she is like some of mine in that if she doesnt have someone or something to entertain her, then she is lost. I'd let her sit and she couldfall asleep or she couldplay quietly by herself, but I definately would not entertain her. She is supposed to be resting right?
SunshineMama 11:33 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What would happen if you told her it was ok to fall asleep?
Undoubtedly, she would fall asleep.
SunshineMama 11:34 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4:
I think that if she has other options and chooses to just sit...I wouldnt feel bad for her. Sounds like she is like some of mine in that if she doesnt have someone or something to entertain her, then she is lost. I'd let her sit and she couldfall asleep or she couldplay quietly by herself, but I definately would not entertain her. She is supposed to be resting right?
Yes, she is also one of those children who want to be entertained all the time.
jenboo 11:50 AM 02-12-2014
Does she get in trouble with mom if she falls asleep?
Just a thought but maybe mom gets upset with her. She could be super tired but scared to fall asleep. Just a thought.
Tdhmom 11:55 AM 02-12-2014
I'm more bugged by the bed time of 7:30. I'm sure mom doesn't pick up until 5-5:30 probably and then spend a whopping 2 hours with her child before she puts her to bed for the night?! I have my kids all day and we have a hard time putting ours in bed before 9 just because when daycare is done we feel like we don't have enough time with each other.
My3cents 12:02 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I've posted about this before- 3 year old dcg whose mom wanted her to stop napping.

We are on week 3 of this. The first week, DCG laid down in her cot anyway, and went to sleep. Mom did NOT want her to sleep. So I removed her cot. I think the poor girl is tired, but mom wants her to go to bed at 7:30 every night.

Lately, DCG has been sitting in the room where she is to have her "quiet time." Despite all of the books and toys she can play with, she prefers to sit in the recliner, with a blanket, for the entire duration of everyone else's naptime. She's a sweet girl and doesn't wake anyone else up, so I have allowed her to get up and quietly play, or read during this time. She is instead choosing to just sit and stare off into space.

I am feeling badly that she just sits up there in the recliner for 2 hours. I know she is choosing to do so, but it makes me sad a little, bit. I went in to check in on her and she was just sitting, staring into space with a blanket. I told her she can play quietly or read, and she just said, "I know," and didn't move. I think she is very tired. Maybe she is missing nap time? It just doesn't feel right to me. I wouldn't want my child doing that, but then again, my dd is the exact same age as her and takes 2-3 hour naps everyday because she needs the sleep.

Do you think it's okay to let her just sit there? I told mom I am not waking her up if she falls asleep. I firmly believe that if a child falls asleep, their body needs it, but I know not everyone shares that opinion.
no way- sorry Mom. Parent your child! My kids take long naps here and they all go to bed right around 7:30-8 Let her figure out at home why she won't go to bed. Prob wants Moms attention that she is not getting and routine. No way would I even entertain this idea- Rest time is for all the kids, and for me to regroup. This child needs sleep Mom just wants to make it cozy on her end of things and not parent her own child. Mom might not want this but its your home, your rules, your daycare- No way would I go for that.
SunshineMama 12:08 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Does she get in trouble with mom if she falls asleep?
Just a thought but maybe mom gets upset with her. She could be super tired but scared to fall asleep. Just a thought.
I don't think she gets in trouble....

Mom said that she stopped taking naps at their house a couple of months ago. DCG only comes here 3 days a week, so maybe she is just catching up on needed sleep while here? Mom says she sleeps 7:30-7:30, if she doesn't take a nap here. If she does, she has a harder time falling asleep.

I think that dcm will get upset with me if dcg naps here, since it keeps her awake at bedtime. (As I write, my dd, the exact same age, is on 2.5 hours of nap, and she sleepsabout 11 hrs at night). I think 3 year olds need to sleep!

Dcg gets her blanket out, and cuddles on the recliner and sits. Maybe she is trying to stay awake but really needs to sleep. It makes me feel sad. Mom looked disappointed the last time I told her that dcg chose to sleep during rest time.

I wish that I wasn't desperate to keep clients and didn't need the money so badly...
Tags:demanding, no naps, parent request - no nap
Reply Up