Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Annoying 13 Month Old
melissa ann 03:03 PM 04-19-2010
I have a 13 month old that doesn't stay anywhere! IF I put him in the exersaucer while I go to the bathroom or prepare lunch, he climbs out. He tries to climb out of his booster seat at the table. I even have a tray for the seat. Now, today, he tried to get out of the pack n'play. He had his arms on top of the packn'play and his legs were halfway up. I know this topic just came up about when moving toddlers out of the packn'plays to the floor(or whatever) for their naps. But I can't do that at 13 months. He'll just mosey all over the floor. Help!
mac60 03:29 PM 04-19-2010
When he crawls out of whatever or attempts to crawl out, I would place him in a highchair and strap him in. And everytime he does it, the highchair he will go. That is awful young to be climbing out of pnp. Good luck.
jen 05:06 PM 04-19-2010
I agree with Mac, the first thing I thought was HIGH CHAIR!
QualiTcare 11:08 PM 04-19-2010
wow - i'm appalled - BABY TRAPS is what i call things like high chairs and bouncy seats.

my infants (when i have them) don't even sleep in a crib, but they sleep in a "nest." Google it if you don't know.

i'm here to care for the children and cater to their needs - not force them to sit still and/or take naps if they aren't ready.

afterall, i do get paid to do this.

highchairs are for feeding, not restraining, but i don't even like the traditional highchairs.

i say if you consider a child "annoying" then you be honest with the parents that you aren't the right fit - so they can find a provider who doesn't find their child annoying.
melskids 03:22 AM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
wow - i'm appalled - BABY TRAPS is what i call things like high chairs and bouncy seats.

my infants (when i have them) don't even sleep in a crib, but they sleep in a "nest." Google it if you don't know.

i'm here to care for the children and cater to their needs - not force them to sit still and/or take naps if they aren't ready.

highchairs are for feeding, not restraining, but i don't even like the traditional highchairs.

i say if you consider a child "annoying" then you be honest with the parents that you aren't the right fit - so they can find a provider who doesn't find their child annoying.
not to start a war.....i'm not for restraining them ALL the time either....but.....

how do you get anything done? how would you change others' diapers if this little one is getting into something he's not supposed to? how are you in the kitchen cooking when little johnny is roaming free and swimming in the toilet bowl? like i said, i don't like to restrain them all the time, and for no reason....but there are times when you HAVE to get stuff done, and keep the little ones SAFE at the SAME time. when i'm in the kitchen, you'd better believe the 2 year old are in high chairs coloring while waiting for lunch. and when the very active school agers come home from school the baby gets put in a p'n'p or a saucer for a little while so the big kids don;t trample him until they all settle down. we get paid to keep them SAFE.

JMHO
GretasLittleFriends 03:23 AM 04-20-2010
Assuming (yes I know I shouldn't) you do daycare out of your home, Tennessee Rule 1204-04-04-04 1c states "Babies and toddlers shall have additional equipment for comfort and safety, such as
cribs, high chairs, etc."

Originally Posted by :
Tennessee Rule 1204-04-04-05 3c states that "Each child under 15 months of age and any child unable to walk shall have his/her own
crib or playpen and bedding for napping."

If my licensor saw an infant in my care not sleeping in a crib, I could be and would be reprimanded.

Originally Posted by :

A child care providers main duty is to ensure the child is cared for in a safe environment while the parents are away.

To me it sounded like Melissa Ann was trying to figure a way to keep this child safe while he is in her care. Whether it's a quick trip to the bathroom, hot items in the kitchen, or other daily activities the child needs to stay safe.

As far as finding the child annoying, I think there is nothing wrong or offensive about it, and is definitely not grounds for immediate termination. Children can be annoying, frustrating, trying, irksome, bothersome, irritating, handfuls or bundles of energy. It doesn't matter which word you use to describe, those can all be used interchangeably. Just because a person finds another person annoying, it doesn't mean that the second person is ALWAYS annoying.

If I couldn't use the bathroom for two minutes because a child in my care was a bundle of energy and I couldn't be assured of his safety, even though I was doing everything I could think of to keep him safe for those few moments, I'd probably be annoyed too. That doesn't mean I'd terminate him, I'd seek advice and suggestions from others.
melskids 03:36 AM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
If I couldn't use the bathroom for two minutes because a child in my care was a bundle of energy and I couldn't be assured of his safety, even though I was doing everything I could think of to keep him safe for those few moments, I'd probably be annoyed too. That doesn't mean I'd terminate him, I'd seek advice and suggestions from others.
agreed....and would like to add....

although we all have different opinions, we are on here as fellow providers to seek and give support in a positive manner.
mac60 03:42 AM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
agreed....and would like to add....

although we all have different opinions, we are on here as fellow providers to seek and give support in a positive manner.

Based on a lot of post throughout this forum lately, some have really big egos. If you don't agree with what someone says, there are nice ways to wirte it.
Unregistered 05:52 AM 04-20-2010
My own daughter started climbing out of her crib at 7 months (YES 7 MONTHS)!!!!! She didn't start walking until 8.5 months, but was climbing on everything at about 6.5/7 months, it was absolutely INSANE!!! She is also small for her age, so alot of people got alot of laughs, seeing this what looked like 6 month old child walking around! LOL Anyway, I was in a complete loss of what to do with her!! She is 3 now and she is just as busy as ever!! I remember telling my husband that I need to quit daycare just to watch her and keep her safe!! She is a busy, busy bee!!! I am not sure if she has calmed down, gotten better at climbing or if I am just use to her antics! LOL Anyway I started putting her in a toddler bed, I had too! It was very interesting and I spent the entire nap time for several days putting her back in her bed, but it finally worked and she learned that when it was time to sleep she needed to stay in her bed!! Just be consistent with him and it should pay off, just stinks because it is going to interrupt everything for about a week or so!! Well I hope this helps and good luck!! I would also talk to his parents and see if they are willing to make the transition at home at the same time as well!!! Plus make sure no matter where you sit him make sure he is BUCKLED!! : P
Crystal 07:51 AM 04-20-2010

For the most part, I agree with this. I don't use them either. PnP's I use until they are able to pull themselves up, then they go away and the child learns to sleep on a npamat. I use a highchair for feeding only....as soon as mealtime is over, it goes in the garage, and once the child can sit in a child-sized chair, they go away. Two reasons....1.) they are not necessary, there are many ways to keep a child occupied without having to restrain them. and 2.) I cannot stand them taking up space in my home.

I would say though, that you clearly have a different philosophy than many on here (careful about that )....do you practice the Reggio Emilai Approach? If you do, I'd love to talk with you further, as I do appreciate the Reggio approach and apply the philosophy in many aspects of my program.
Crystal 08:04 AM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Based on a lot of post throughout this forum lately, some have really big egos. If you don't agree with what someone says, there are nice ways to wirte it.
Just curious, why would someone having a differing philosophy of care indicate that they have a "big ego" We all have different ways of practicing care. Just as you have your own approach....would you sharing your opinion indicate that you have a "big ego"?
jen 08:20 AM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Just curious, why would someone having a differing philosophy of care indicate that they have a "big ego" We all have different ways of practicing care. Just as you have your own approach....would you sharing your opinion indicate that you have a "big ego"?
I believe she explained that in her post...there are nicer ways to write it...

All this "I am appalled" crap and "baby trap" comments aren't being presented as a different philosophy, but as a "better" one. These comments are rude.

How about simply, "I don't believe in using a high chair as a safety device." No need to appalled.
MarinaVanessa 08:25 AM 04-20-2010
How fortunate for others to be able to use highchairs and pack n plays as safety equipment but for others like myself that isn't even an option. State regulations vary from state to state and sometimes even county to county.

In my case (CA) a highchair is only to be used during mealtimes and snacktimes and only when and if a child is eating. If a child isn't eating anymore we have to remove them immediately. This is an automatic citation for us. Same thing goes for pack n plays. Here they can't be used to confine a child that is awake. If the child is not sleeping, the child cannot be in the p'n'p. Bouncers, swings, bouncy chairs, baby chairs (that help a baby sit up on their own on the floor) etc. are not even allowed in daycare centers or homes. I'm pregnant now and my license worker is a little wishy washy about me having a swing even for my own infant that would be kept in the nursery which is not a part of the daycare at all.
mac60 08:43 AM 04-20-2010
it has nothing to do with a different philosophy, but what is said and how it is said.
momofsix 10:47 AM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
not to start a war.....i'm not for restraining them ALL the time either....but.....

how do you get anything done? how would you change others' diapers if this little one is getting into something he's not supposed to? how are you in the kitchen cooking when little johnny is roaming free and swimming in the toilet bowl? like i said, i don't like to restrain them all the time, and for no reason....but there are times when you HAVE to get stuff done, and keep the little ones SAFE at the SAME time. when i'm in the kitchen, you'd better believe the 2 year old are in high chairs coloring while waiting for lunch. and when the very active school agers come home from school the baby gets put in a p'n'p or a saucer for a little while so the big kids don;t trample him until they all settle down. we get paid to keep them SAFE.

JMHO
Very well said. What we hope to have things be like, and what happens in real life aren't always the same--safety is the top priority!
melissa ann 04:18 PM 04-20-2010
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word Annoying. But, I just don't know what to do about this little guy. There are times when he can't be roaming all around when, I need to use the restroom, change another's diaper and preparing meals. Most of the time, he does have free roam in the two daycare rooms. I never thought to have terminate over this. That is totally ridulious.
QualiTcare 08:14 PM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Assuming (yes I know I shouldn't) you do daycare out of your home, Tennessee Rule 1204-04-04-04 1c states "Babies and toddlers shall have additional equipment for comfort and safety, such as
cribs, high chairs, etc."

Tennessee Rule 1204-04-04-05 3c states that "Each child under 15 months of age and any child unable to walk shall have his/her own
crib or playpen and bedding for napping."

If my licensor saw an infant in my care not sleeping in a crib, I could be and would be reprimanded.

A child care providers main duty is to ensure the child is cared for in a safe environment while the parents are away.

To me it sounded like Melissa Ann was trying to figure a way to keep this child safe while he is in her care. Whether it's a quick trip to the bathroom, hot items in the kitchen, or other daily activities the child needs to stay safe.

As far as finding the child annoying, I think there is nothing wrong or offensive about it, and is definitely not grounds for immediate termination. Children can be annoying, frustrating, trying, irksome, bothersome, irritating, handfuls or bundles of energy. It doesn't matter which word you use to describe, those can all be used interchangeably. Just because a person finds another person annoying, it doesn't mean that the second person is ALWAYS annoying.

the two best daycare centers i've seen in my life (in my opinion) use nests - which is where i got the concept, and there is nothing illegal about them.
Daycare Mommy 03:23 AM 04-21-2010
I agree with some of the previous posters. I'd strap him into the high chair and give him some toys to play with when you have to take a potty break. I don't see the issue with doing this for all of a minute or two to get a bathroom break in. The last thing any of us wants to see when coming out of the bathroom is a toddler swan diving off the back of their couch.

For cooking, if your daycare room can't be seen from your kitchen then that's a safety issue as well. When I'm cooking I set all of my kids up at the table (in my eat in kitchen) drawing or doing some other activity. So if I kept a toddler he'd go into a high chair doing the activity or another age appropriate activity too. Also I'd get some seperate toys and activities that are only for high chair time to keep his interest. And just because he's in a high chair and we are cooking doesn't mean we aren't interacting with him. It's a good time to talk to him, sing songs, Mother Goose rhymes, etc.

As for nap, I think I'd sit next to him and rub his back and make sure he stays down until he is asleep. While you're doing that anyway it may be a good time to transition to a mat or cot since you just do the same thing for that as well. In my state we have to do the transition at 12 months, so I know it can be done. It may be challenging at first, but should pay off in the end.

Good luck with this little guy!
jen 07:12 AM 04-21-2010
the two best daycare centers i've seen in my life (in my opinion) use nests - which is where i got the concept, and there is nothing illegal about them.
We need a varience just to use a pack and play...nothing illegal in your area doesn't mean nothing illegal in someone elses!
Daycare Mommy 09:16 AM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
nothing illegal in your area doesn't mean nothing illegal in someone elses!
True. We aren't allowed to use pack n plays for sleep here at all. We have to go straight from cribs to cots or mats.
momma2girls 09:41 AM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
True. We aren't allowed to use pack n plays for sleep here at all. We have to go straight from cribs to cots or mats.
WOW!!! WHEre do you live???
Crystal 12:37 PM 04-21-2010
We need a varience just to use a pack and play...nothing illegal in your area doesn't mean nothing illegal in someone elses!
I cannot imagine that the "nests" would be illegal in any state. They are simply a basket that is floor level that the children can crawl into and sleep/rest in whenever they feel like it.
jen 02:02 PM 04-21-2010
I cannot imagine that the "nests" would be illegal in any state. They are simply a basket that is floor level that the children can crawl into and sleep/rest in whenever they feel like it.
We would need a varience for a child under 12 months of age to sleep in ANYTHING other than a crib...actually we no longer need variences for pack-n-plays but a nest would be a no go without a varience. Heck, I needed a varience and a note from a doctor for an infant to sleep in a medical device that propped him up for acid reflux.
QualiTcare 12:27 AM 04-22-2010
thank you - it's nice to have someone that knows what they are talking about on multiple issues.
jen 06:58 AM 04-22-2010
thank you - it's nice to have someone that knows what they are talking about on multiple issues.
LOL! Are you assuming that I wouldn't know what the regulations are in my state??? OMG! You seriously need to get over yourself.
QualiTcare 01:30 PM 04-22-2010
LOL! Are you assuming that I wouldn't know what the regulations are in my state??? OMG! You seriously need to get over yourself.

i wasn't even talking to you, or about you for that matter. i didn't say anything about anyone (other than crystal) and you are not the only commenter on this thread. seriously, get over yourself.
booroo 02:05 PM 04-22-2010
QualiTcare-- I have read several of your post and you really do think you are above everyone else!!! Everyone has a diifernet way of doing things every state is different.. You can state your opionions without sounding like your way us the only way...
Chickenhauler 12:05 AM 04-28-2010

Consider it a "time out" chair for kids that won't behave then.
Chickenhauler 12:09 AM 04-28-2010
So they're kinda like a dog bed?

What happens when a clumsy kid steps on an infant or toddler in their doggie bed on the floor?
Chickenhauler 12:11 AM 04-28-2010
i wasn't even talking to you, or about you for that matter. i didn't say anything about anyone (other than crystal) and you are not the only commenter on this thread. seriously, get over yourself.
You inferred (and quite plainly) that you and Crystal are the only ones who knows what they are talking about in this thread.

Crystal 05:53 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
So they're kinda like a dog bed?

What happens when a clumsy kid steps on an infant or toddler in their doggie bed on the floor?
LOL! No, not like a dog bed...why don't you try doing a bit of research, if you really want to know. It is a very common practice to use these in Reggio or Montessori programs. It is repsectful of the child to be allow them to rest as they choose, rather than tell them when they will rest. Just as you and I like to lay down when we choose to, so do infants and toddlers. And, a practitioner with any common sense would certainly not place it in a line of traffic where a clumsy child might step/fall on it. In fact, it would be placed in a space that is conducive to rest and not placed in an active play space.
Golden Rule 07:55 AM 04-28-2010
To the op, I actually set up my indoor playroom for the different age groups. I used pre-constructed deck railing attached to walls to separate my playroom (400+ sq ft) into 3 sections. One section for infants, one for toddlers, and one for arts/crafts/meals/etc. All with safety gates to allow me to move freely between the groups, and lose no personal interaction. (I do not keep children over 4, and only keep 6 at any time) I did this about 13 years ago to resolve the exact problem you are describing. (along with sibling issues)

The entire room is open air, but the children are unable to injure one another or get into things not safe for their age range even if I am in the restroom. We do come together for stories/activities etc. Infants (under 12 months, not climbing) are moved into an adjacent, quieter, room to sleep in their porta-cribs.(they tend to sleep at different times, here) The 13 month old would be placed on a mat in his respective area, if he gets up simply lay him back down like you would anyone else. He would also be spending more and more time daily in the toddler section since not all developmental stages are solely age based, as we well know...lol!!!

During the times when there are no infants here, we use that padded area as a reading/puppet/soft toy/quiet time center. I also swap things around a bit to keep things exciting. I have climbers, slides, cars, etc that "rotate out" every couple months.

I am sure some will not like this setup, but IMO they will continue to be separated like this throughout their lives. My outdoor playgrounds are set up in a similar way. It has been the best improvement I could have imagined. My house is peaceful and we rarely have "fights", anymore. I also pass inspection every year with flying colors so am confident this SHOULD? not be against any rules. Good luck, whatever you do!!! This is the hardest/best job in the world....
misol 08:23 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
To the op, I actually set up my indoor playroom for the different age groups. I used pre-constructed deck railing attached to walls to separate my playroom (400+ sq ft) into 3 sections. One section for infants, one for toddlers, and one for arts/crafts/meals/etc. All with safety gates to allow me to move freely between the groups, and lose no personal interaction. (I do not keep children over 4, and only keep 6 at any time) I did this about 13 years ago to resolve the exact problem you are describing. (along with sibling issues)

The entire room is open air, but the children are unable to injure one another or get into things not safe for their age range even if I am in the restroom. We do come together for stories/activities etc. Infants (under 12 months, not climbing) are moved into an adjacent, quieter, room to sleep in their porta-cribs.(they tend to sleep at different times, here) The 13 month old would be placed on a mat in his respective area, if he gets up simply lay him back down like you would anyone else. He would also be spending more and more time daily in the toddler section since not all developmental stages are solely age based, as we well know...lol!!!

During the times when there are no infants here, we use that padded area as a reading/puppet/soft toy/quiet time center. I also swap things around a bit to keep things exciting. I have climbers, slides, cars, etc that "rotate out" every couple months.

I am sure some will not like this setup, but IMO they will continue to be separated like this throughout their lives. My outdoor playgrounds are set up in a similar way. It has been the best improvement I could have imagined. My house is peaceful and we rarely have "fights", anymore. I also pass inspection every year with flying colors so am confident this SHOULD? not be against any rules. Good luck, whatever you do!!! This is the hardest/best job in the world....
goldenrule your setup sounds fabulous. I had been envisioning something like this for my daycare area and had not considered deck railing. Do you have any pics that you could post of your setup?
Golden Rule 10:23 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
goldenrule your setup sounds fabulous. I had been envisioning something like this for my daycare area and had not considered deck railing. Do you have any pics that you could post of your setup?

I was uploading pictures when it occurred to me that there were children in the photos and I do not know the general etiquette of this. Can I upload them to an album on my profile so that contacts/other providers can see them...would that be ok, here? This is my first childcare forum...

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic....
Chickenhauler 11:40 AM 04-28-2010
LOL! No, not like a dog bed...why don't you try doing a bit of research, if you really want to know. It is a very common practice to use these in Reggio or Montessori programs. It is repsectful of the child to be allow them to rest as they choose, rather than tell them when they will rest. Just as you and I like to lay down when we choose to, so do infants and toddlers. And, a practitioner with any common sense would certainly not place it in a line of traffic where a clumsy child might step/fall on it. In fact, it would be placed in a space that is conducive to rest and not placed in an active play space.
You did describe this 'nest' as being a basket on the floor, which is exactly what my dog sleeps in.

How do you monitor a child that is 'in a place of rest' (another quiet, dark room) when they have the ability to get up and wander around unattended?

And please leave the snide condescending comments out if you can. How about you write your posts like we were sitting face to face? I highly doubt that you speak to people in person using ad hominem attacks like you do here.
Crystal 12:06 PM 04-28-2010
So am I supposed to respond nicely to you when you are being a wise guy, as in your post to me asking "So they're kinda like a dog bed?". I just responded in kind.

Generally if you use the nest type of bed, you wouldn't necessarily have the child in another room, but perhaps in a "cozy corner" of the main room. Also, it would more likely be seen in an infant/toddler only program, not one with infant-school-age children.

I do not use the nests, as I have a wide range of ages and none small enough for the beds, but I do have cozy corners, with soft rugs, books and sheer curtains that can be drawn to create space conducive to relaxing and resting as the children choose to. Same idea, and the children are visible to me at all times, but have the ability to rest.
Chickenhauler 11:38 PM 04-29-2010
So am I supposed to respond nicely to you when you are being a wise guy, as in your post to me asking "So they're kinda like a dog bed?". I just responded in kind.

Generally if you use the nest type of bed, you wouldn't necessarily have the child in another room, but perhaps in a "cozy corner" of the main room. Also, it would more likely be seen in an infant/toddler only program, not one with infant-school-age children.

I do not use the nests, as I have a wide range of ages and none small enough for the beds, but I do have cozy corners, with soft rugs, books and sheer curtains that can be drawn to create space conducive to relaxing and resting as the children choose to. Same idea, and the children are visible to me at all times, but have the ability to rest.
Stop and ask yourself, after reading the descriptions given here, does that not sound an awful lot like a doggie bed?

I didn't see where anyone had stated (until now) that this would be used in a toddler only grouping.

As for my comments, they weren't directed at you, and IDK how they wound up in that post, that was meant for someone else in this thread.

One guess as to whom.
Unregistered 04:01 AM 04-30-2010
Could someone post a picture of one of these nests? I tried to do a search and all I could find were motessori beds, which are mattresses on the floor in a child proofed room. I am trying to educate myself before judging, but could not find anything to give me a visual.

In our state we are required to use a crib or pnp until 24 months of age. It is not our choice. The other problem is that many children "choose" not to rest and become overstimulated, cranky and unable to rest even at night. Every child I've had that mom or dad let them eliminate naps because the child didn't want them now has a 7 yr going to school with behavior problems because they are overtired and believe they can choose what and when they will do things. Being tired, they are more likely to be frustrated with the new schedule requirements. Some early learning programs cater to this, but most do not, and the issue still rears it's head when they become adults. In school, in the work place, in life - schedules happen. We need to accept that someone else will be in control of our activities at some point and rest time is one small way to introduce this to children. I see nothing barbaric in choosing our child's rest time. This is a hard lesson to learn when you have never been expected to follow a group schedule. Sure it feels good to let your child make choices, but I think that allowing too many completely encourages a self-endulgent attititude that will hurt a child socially and in the workplace later in when the real-world where they aren't protected from people that expect compliance without question.

I don't think the nests are necessarily going to cause future tantrum throwers, but pack n plays certainly aren't scarring them either.
QualiTcare 11:46 PM 05-02-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Stop and ask yourself, after reading the descriptions given here, does that not sound an awful lot like a doggie bed?

I didn't see where anyone had stated (until now) that this would be used in a toddler only grouping.

As for my comments, they weren't directed at you, and IDK how they wound up in that post, that was meant for someone else in this thread.

One guess as to whom.
we can call a nest a doggie bed...

if we can call cribs a dog crate.

sounds fair to me.
GretasLittleFriends 08:25 AM 05-04-2010
we can call a nest a doggie bed...

if we can call cribs a dog crate.

sounds fair to me.
Sure, why not?! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Is this what a nest looks like?

I tried to research it, but this is the only thing I could come up with. (Ok, well other pics didn't have the infant roll things in them, same thing otherwise.)

This is the mental image with the description of the "nest" that has been given. I can easily understand how one can think from previous descriptions that it sounds like what a dog bed looks like.

Personally, considering the children in my care, I'd much rather have my child crawl and sleep in the brown one as opposed to the green one. I feel the sleeper would be safer and better protected.
DBug 10:07 AM 05-04-2010
That brown bed looks SO comfy!

So I gather that the philosophy behind nests is that babies can rest whenever they choose. I think it's probably alot like my mealtime philosophy -- kids will eat when they're hungry, and no one should force them to when they're not hungry.

I do have a couple of questions though. What about babies that refuse to go to sleep when they're tired, and just get more and more cranky? Or do they eventually get past that, and start recognizing the need to go to their nest? Also, does it affect their night-time sleep at all? And what ages are the nests for? I would assume just crawlers (ie. 6 mos to 12 mos.), but that seems like a pretty short time span.

It's a very intriguing concept, one that I'd never heard of before. I'm too Type A to go without a routine, but it's an interesting method to consider ...
QualiTcare 03:19 PM 05-04-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
That brown bed looks SO comfy!

So I gather that the philosophy behind nests is that babies can rest whenever they choose. I think it's probably alot like my mealtime philosophy -- kids will eat when they're hungry, and no one should force them to when they're not hungry.

I do have a couple of questions though. What about babies that refuse to go to sleep when they're tired, and just get more and more cranky? Or do they eventually get past that, and start recognizing the need to go to their nest? Also, does it affect their night-time sleep at all? And what ages are the nests for? I would assume just crawlers (ie. 6 mos to 12 mos.), but that seems like a pretty short time span.

It's a very intriguing concept, one that I'd never heard of before. I'm too Type A to go without a routine, but it's an interesting method to consider ...
google lalapanzi beds.

lots of infants sleep in "moses baskets" and it's basically the same thing, except for bigger. a lot of people DO say they look like dog beds. you probably could actually use one of those huge/wicker beds for big dogs and put moses basket bedding in it - it would be cheaper.

as far as kids refusing to go to sleep - that's another story. that happens on rest mats, toddler beds, and some kids can climb out of cribs. that has to do with how you handle it more than the furniture they sleep in.
slpender 05:54 PM 07-03-2013
I googled the nest I am in Florida and I would not be able to use those my regs clearly state in family child care homes children need to sleep in a crib or pack n play until they are 1 year old and centers must use a crib not pack n plays
daycare 06:14 PM 07-03-2013
This post is 3 years old
slpender 06:45 PM 07-03-2013
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I have a 13 month old that doesn't stay anywhere! IF I put him in the exersaucer while I go to the bathroom or prepare lunch, he climbs out. He tries to climb out of his booster seat at the table. I even have a tray for the seat. Now, today, he tried to get out of the pack n'play. He had his arms on top of the packn'play and his legs were halfway up. I know this topic just came up about when moving toddlers out of the packn'plays to the floor(or whatever) for their naps. But I can't do that at 13 months. He'll just mosey all over the floor. Help!
Could you put this child in a play yard where there are toys and a bit of room to move around that way he is safe but still has a little freedom at the same time
MyAngels 08:10 PM 07-03-2013
Originally Posted by slpender:
Could you put this child in a play yard where there are toys and a bit of room to move around that way he is safe but still has a little freedom at the same time
Hopefully this is resolved by now, since the child is now 4 years old .
Hunni Bee 09:22 PM 07-03-2013
Phooey.

I googled the Lalapanzi beds and thought they sounded lovely. I actually started researching getting one for my little one coming soon...

What I found out is these were more of a fad item that was popular 3-5 years ago (around the time this thread was started). They can only be ordered from their website now, which seems quite outdated. Also, most of their products are no longer available and what is available is significantly more expensive, and can only be ordered months in advance of when you need it. And like I said, the website looks suspect and abandoned, and I'm leery of ordering from it.

Kind of disappointed.

Just thought I'd warn anybody who might have not heard of these til now and were interested in them, like I was.
Tags:13 month old, bouncy seats, exersaucer, high chair, nests, pack n play
Reply Up