Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Deposit Question
Lilbutterflie 11:43 AM 04-14-2011
I am going to have two open spots starting the last week of August. I have not advertised yet, wanting to wait at least until June to start looking to fill the two spots.

I got a call from someone who got my name from a website that has the names and numbers of all listed, registered and licensed providers with the state. Newborn baby due in June, and needing care in September.

They want to interview next week, I agreed. It will be nice to fill at least one of the spots so far in advance! The spot doesn't open until the last week of August, but if I have them sign a contract without any sort of deposit and then they back out last minute I'll be in trouble. Deposits aren't really the norm here, and I usually don't do them. But then again, I have never had a client sign a contract so far in advance.

Should I do a two week deposit due at the contract signing that can be used towards the first two weeks of care? That way, if they do back out; I'll still be paid for at least two weeks. As a parent, I think this would sound reasonable since it can be applied toward the first two weeks. What would you all do?
Abigail 12:03 PM 04-14-2011
You certainly can interview now for a newborn to get it out of the way. I also wouldn't apply the deposit to the first two weeks of care, but the last. My contract states if either party decides not to continue care during the two-week trial period that the deposit is refundable.

If someone wants me to hold a spot and spots are limited, I will require a set dollar amount holding fee per week or else they can chance the opening when the time comes. The holding fee (what you should ask for) is NOT refundable. If you really want this family and it is so far out in advance, you should have a low dollar amount holding fee that is not refundable to be paid monthly since it's so far in advance.
Tags:deposit, filling spots, interview
Reply Up