Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Out Door Time
brookeroo 12:49 PM 07-18-2012
I have two drop in kids for a week and a half ages (almost) 3 and 5. They are my cousin's kids.

On a regular basis I have the following

17 week old
20 week old
1 year old
9 month old (my daughter)
19 month old
2.5 year old (new as of 2 weeks ago) although this week he had a surgery and has been out.

So most of my kids are relatively young. I have a son who is also 5 years old who I kept home to keep my cousin's children entertained a little better. I guess I'm wondering how you handle outdoor time?

Between the infants and the older kids I'm having a difficult time getting the days to work out so that I can be outside with the bigger kids. I think they are ok as long as the 1 year old (and lower) are not out with them but the bigger kids are wanting in and out constantly. If it's too hot out I don't let them out. They want in about 10 minutes after they go out and then they want back out 10 minutes later and it's a continuous circle.

They will say they are hot but it's really not that hot if and when I'm letting them out. It's usually in the morning. They seem to enjoy the change more than anything and I think they are doing it because they know by using that excuse they are getting away with it. Then some want in and others want out. When it changes and the others want in, the ones that were in, want out. They seem to swap. I feel like they should all be doing the same thing. They all get a long well.

I just feel like a meanie for saying "no". I do have a lot of rules because I have a lot of babies and also because I like things a certain way. I don't want to force them to be outside but I don't want them bored inside either so I feel like it's a continuous circle...

How do you guys handle it? Just wondering how long you make them be outside. Do you make them all be out at once? Are you out with them?
Country Kids 01:00 PM 07-18-2012
Thats why I don't take babies. I love being outdoors and everyone not being able to be outside would drive me bonkers!

We go outside as a group and stay outside from 1-3 hours in the mornings. Usually we take an hour walk and then play a couple hours. We only come in for a bathroom break.

I did try to keep a baby for a drop in day and we had no outside time-. When we should have been outside, the baby was sleeping and then when the big kids where sleeping, baby was awake. I had no break for 10.5 hours! Never again-
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by brookeroo:

On a regular basis I have the following

17 week old
20 week old
1 year old
9 month old (my daughter)
19 month old

2.5 year old (new as of 2 weeks ago) although this week he had a surgery and has been out.
Holy moly! You dont have ALL those kids under 2 at one time do you?

Honestly if I were in your shoes and had that many littles I would leave outdoor time to the parent.
My Lil' Monkeys 03:11 PM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Thats why I don't take babies. I love being outdoors and everyone not being able to be outside would drive me bonkers!

We go outside as a group and stay outside from 1-3 hours in the mornings. Usually we take an hour walk and then play a couple hours. We only come in for a bathroom break.

I did try to keep a baby for a drop in day and we had no outside time-. When we should have been outside, the baby was sleeping and then when the big kids where sleeping, baby was awake. I had no break for 10.5 hours! Never again-
Just wondering, what you do when one of your current parents has a baby?
I do understand why you only take older kids. I have a new baby and I work 11 hrs a day now!! He use to sleep in the afternoon and I would get a 3 hr break.... now he's teething (cut 2 teeth in a couple days) and I barely get to eat lunch (as he screams during lunch wanting to be held)
Country Kids 03:21 PM 07-18-2012
I actually have two moms with new babies! Upon signing they knew I didn't take babies and were fine with it. One will be taking her little one to work with her till he gets mobile (her company actually encourages it) and the other one is a SAHM that only works one day a week. Her child comes for preschool only so dad will watch baby on the one day or she may take it with her (another one who is able too).

My parents know upon signing that I do only two and over. Everyone has always been wonderful with it and little one goes to another provider till they are ready for me. I actually have always had the little one enroll once they turn to! Its never been a problem in the 17 years that I have done this-
Breezy 04:06 PM 07-18-2012
All mine are under 2 as well. I usually have my DS 17 months, 4 month old drop in, 12 month old part time, and starting 6 month old full time this month. It is sooooo hot so we rarely get to go outside which is fine because the babies don't need it as much especially when its 90 degrees by 9:00. My DS goes out in the evening but wishes he could go out during the day.
dave4him 04:12 PM 07-18-2012
i cant stand it being so hot outside, im looking forward to cooler weather so we can return to the great outdoors and not be cooped up!
Country Kids 04:40 PM 07-18-2012
I just googled out current tempature-71 degrees!

Last night it was so chilly that I joked with hubs that we should start a small fire. I actually have had children wear long pant/shirt/light jackets the last two day-

I JUST WANT SUMMER!!!!!!!!
pootmcgoot 05:24 PM 07-18-2012
I have a 18 month old and 17 month old right now. My yard is unfenced and for the most part they play pretty well in my yard. My daughter is a bolter though. We go out every morning from 9-10 for an hour. It wears them out for nap time. I'd go nuts with out this outside time.
melissa ann 05:49 PM 07-18-2012
I had an infant in my care. He was a sibling of one of my dck. I do not want to do that again. If I start back up again, I will only accept kids 2 yrs-kindy.
brookeroo 06:57 PM 07-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Holy moly! You dont have ALL those kids under 2 at one time do you?

Honestly if I were in your shoes and had that many littles I would leave outdoor time to the parent.
I DO! I'm glad you all understand! I was starting to think maybe I was just really bad at this time management thing and couldn't get it together. I feel like some of my parents just aren't understanding how tough it is. They act like I shouldn't have any problems with all this...which I guess I took it on but still....

I guess I was blessed with my own two children. I thought the babies were going to be cake since my own two were so easy! They weren't fussy at all. Slept well... happy.. Just really easy babies.

The two infants I have here are super fussy so it's been kind of a curve ball for me. They are both breast fed. One has really bad acid reflux and it doesn't help that despite that, his mom eats whatever she wants. Has admitted to drinking caffeine and eating spicy foods (jalapenos ect.) without a care in the world. He has gotten much better over the weeks temperament wise and he does sleep a lot more now so it's not as bad. She's been putting cereal in his milk.

The other infant however is more spoiled. He is the youngest 17 weeks and he is as heavy as my 10 month old daughter. His dad has dropped him off a few times and said that mom fell asleep with him feeding on her so he ate all night...therefore is probably not hungry. Naturally this boy has been a handful since he wants that all day too. I suspect they co-sleep regularly based on how fussy he is and how much attention he expects...he cries all...day...long...everyday.

My schedule
17 week old - 7:45am - 5:30pm

20 week old - 7:15am - 5:30pm almost every night even though it was supposed to be 4:30pm as told in the interview

1 year old - his dad (my brother) is a teacher and coach so right now he's part time 7:15 - 12:30 but he will be going to 6:30am - 4pm when school is back in session.

9 month old (my daughter) all day, however I'm lucky because we live next door to my grandmother who loves to take her. She comes to get her often.

19 month old - 9am - pretty much 5:30 most nights even though it was supposed to be 4:30pm as told in the interview

2.5 year old (new as of 2 weeks ago) although this week he had a surgery and has been out. Usually there between 8:30 and 9:30 depending on dad's schedule. Picked up anywhere from 3-5 depending on mom's schedule.

So for now I kind of like having a couple older kids here because my 19 month old's mom and dad have made it more than clear that their expectations are that their child has to have outdoor time every single day (weather permitting). Unfortunately that just doesn't feel realistic so many days. Sometimes it works out but only for a short time. I'm sure as they age it will get easier...

It's just tougher than I thought having such a mix of ages. I have pedal gates to keep them quarantined in the playroom out of the kitchen and living room. I have a basement they like to play in although they are constantly up and down the stairs and leave the door open as well as the gates which is frustrating. It's a great play area but I have babies sleep down there too so it's off limits part of the day. Whether in the playroom or basement they have to be able to get to the bathroom upstairs and so they leave the gates and doors open which is a hazard obviously because of the bathroom and also the stairs in the living room as well as to the basement. So having the big kids have it's pluses and drawbacks.

I'm just having a hard time deciding am I off for telling them they have to stay outside for a certain amount of time or should I let them be going in and out as they wish?
EchoMom 07:00 PM 07-18-2012
How are you allowed to have so many under 2 at one time?? Whoa!
brookeroo 06:02 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:

One is my daughter and one is my nephew.
KEG123 06:12 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
I was thinking that too. I can have something like 5 under 5 with only 2 being under 2. (or something like that, I only check when I'm enrolling) and personally will only take 1 child under 1.
KEG123 06:14 AM 07-19-2012
One is my daughter and one is my nephew.
And here, family or not, all children (even if they are at school) are counted into the ratio.

Are you licensed?
KEG123 06:16 AM 07-19-2012
And so, since I only take 1 under 1, if I was you I'd be letting go some of the littles.

And I just noticed you're in IL too. Where abouts? And seeing as how we have the same state licensing regulations, it's clear you're over capacity.
brookeroo 06:45 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
And so, since I only take 1 under 1, if I was you I'd be letting go some of the littles.

And I just noticed you're in IL too. Where abouts? And seeing as how we have the same state licensing regulations, it's clear you're over capacity.
I am in Indiana. I'm not sure how my state got set to Illinois. I have not been able to find anything on any government website regarding ages for Indiana. I have only been able to find the number of children I am allowed to take. Like I said, the two extra's I have are drop in's. It is only for a few days and my son is usually at a different daycare because they will not hold a spot for him in their school unless he attends. So traditionally he is not usually here.

I only have 5 here that are not my own on a regular basis and one of those 5 is my nephew. If I feel like I need a less certain days I send my daughter to my grandmother's house next door.
Jessie 07:00 AM 07-19-2012
I've got all littles too, and outside time is a challenge, but I make sure it happens every day, it's so important for the toddlers to have time to run around.

Basically, having a set routine is really important. Every morning, the ones who still take a morning nap sleep from 8:30 to 10, then snack, then we all go outside until around 11:40, so I can have time to prep lunch. It's tricky since 2 are not walking, so right now, to get us all out there, I've got one on my back, one in the stroller, and my 17 month old daughter and the boy who just turned two walk to our play area. Nobody is old enough to say they want to go in yet, but even if they did, it wouldn't matter - we're out there until it's time to go in. The afternoon is less important to me - if we make it outside, especially after the early pick-ups go home, great, if not, just free play in the playroom.

As far as baby sleeping - if they fall asleep outside, great. They can either nap in the carrier on me, or doze on the blanket under the umbrella. I also have a little pop-up screen tent if it's too buggy or I want to keep the toddlers from poking them while they sleep. With the littlest (3 months), if I get the sense that she's going to doze off before we all get out the door, I let her drop off in her car seat, then I put the car seat on the stroller as we're leaving so she can stay asleep - but I haven't had to do that in several weeks (I would never let her do that if we weren't going outside).

It does sound like you have a LOT of littles though. In my state, I'm only allowed to have 3 under 2, and one of them has to be at least 15 months and walking. It might be worth a check - you may find that you are out of compliance, which would make you feel like you aren't crazy for being so wiped out!
DCBlessings27 07:37 AM 07-19-2012
I called licensing in Indiana because I was confused about the information on their website and since OP said she couldn't find any information on ages. As far as I can tell, Brookero is within legal limits. The lady on the phone said that I could (hypothetically) watch 5 infants (in Indiana legally exempt means that you can watch less than 6 unrelated kids), have 2 infants of my own and watch 3 infants of my cousin's and still be in compliance. *I called them because I'm interested in how other states do child care licensing. We can't even watch children in KS without being licensed, and our own children count against us until age 12.

When I had infants in care, I only had my daughter and took her outside and held her. I did take on an older infant (8months) while dd was young. I would place the older infant in an exersaucer outside while the kids played. I've heard of providers taking pack n plays outside too for infants to be in while the older children are playing. Or, they have an outside gate thing and lay infants on a blanket while the older children play.

Another provider said that she lets the infant sleep in a carrier, but I couldn't do that here due to Safe Sleep policies.
Country Kids 07:43 AM 07-19-2012
We can only have 2 under the ages of 24 months!!! Our own count with us through the age of 13. I'm checking on this because I don't understand if that means until they turn 13 or through the entire age until they turn 14.
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 07-19-2012
I am in Indiana. I'm not sure how my state got set to Illinois. I have not been able to find anything on any government website regarding ages for Indiana. I have only been able to find the number of children I am allowed to take. Like I said, the two extra's I have are drop in's. It is only for a few days and my son is usually at a different daycare because they will not hold a spot for him in their school unless he attends. So traditionally he is not usually here.

I only have 5 here that are not my own on a regular basis and one of those 5 is my nephew. If I feel like I need a less certain days I send my daughter to my grandmother's house next door.
Age Range Ratio For Family Child Care in Indiana State
Birth to 24 months (1:6) two of the 6 children must be at least 16 months and walking. Otherwise the ratio is 1:4

Birth to 6 years (1:10) No more than 3 of the 10 children may be under sixteen months of age and must be walking

3-10 years (1:12)
All ages (1:12) the maximum capacity in a child care home is 1:12 plus 3 children during the school year who are enrolled at least in Grade 1

I also found this: http://www.in.gov/fssa/files/purduevalidityfinal.pdf

Where it says: Family child care providers who operate small homes may care for 6 to 11 children, plus 3 school-aged children. The maximum number of infants/toddlers to one provider is six children under the age of 2, with 2 or more 16 month olds and walking.

In large family child care homes, providers may care for 13-16 children. The maximum number of children per one provider in large family homes is 4:1 for infants; 6:1 for birth–2-years, with 2 or more 16-month old and walking; 10:1 for birth–6-year olds, with no more than 3 under 16-months; and 12:1 for 3 year olds and older.

So if I am interpreting it all correctly, you are within your ratios since a couple of the kids are related to you. I am not 100% sure though as the rules/regulations for each state are always written in such a round about way.

Back on topic though, I really do think the parents need to be the ones in charge of their child's outside time when you have so many littles. I don't think I would feel comfortable taking that many little ones outside and still keep them safe.

NOT saying anything against you, just that we already care for, love and nurture the kids we have in care, we can't always be the ones to pack everything in to one day.

Parents can surely spend some outside time with their children on off days and after work. Besides, infants don't really need that much outside play....just fresh air which parents can help them get by taking walks and such after work. HTH
Tags:outdoor activities, outside play
Reply Up