Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone NOT Use Cubbies at the Entryway?
MARSTELAC 07:29 AM 05-26-2011
I want to do away with my cubbies. I want to reclaim my front closet (where the cubbies are) for my own family items. I have room elsewhere in the home (off limits to daycare parents) where I can put the back-up clothes. My entryway is quite small but has plenty of hooks for coats and room for shoes (I do not allow shoes in my home).

The other reason I want to remove the cubbies is that they seem to be a source of drama for several parents/kids. Last week someone had food in theirs (I didn't know about it) and one of the kids took it out and almost got it all over my carpet.

I do not allow food from home. I cannot stand the drama. Just wondering if anyone else has NO cubbies? I don't even want bags from home, just school backpacks and ONLY if the child is a school-ager.

Thoughts? What is your entryway like?
sharlan 07:35 AM 05-26-2011
I don't have anything at my doorway. I have coat hooks in my playroom for the kids jackets and backpacks. I keep diapers, wipes, and spare clothes in a plastic 3 drawer container in my family room.
jojosmommy 07:36 AM 05-26-2011
I have a set of 6 hooks right when you walk in and behind the door a small bench for dressing/undressing. I have a TINY entryway so coats are hung, backpacks are on the bench or on the floor behind the door and everything else is put away. All extra clothes are downstairs. In the winter I hang two baskets from ikea on the hooks and mittens/hats go in there and coats can still be hung over them.

At the end of the day my entryway looks just like anyone elses.
MARSTELAC 07:43 AM 05-26-2011
for back-up change of clothes...do you require just of infants/toddlers (in diapers or training)? I really don't think we need extras here for school-agers and those who are fully potty trained....

I was thinking of just grabbing some things from a garage sale to keep as back-up...it's just that I have families leaving tons of things here.

Thanks providers!!!
JenNJ 08:04 AM 05-26-2011
I don't. Kids leave their shoes in the foyer and I keep cubbies in my walk in closet in the daycare room. You wouldn't know I have a daycare unless you go in there.
bgmeyers 08:14 AM 05-26-2011
I just have hooks in the play area. I don't want them leaving a bunch of junk here. I have storage elsewhere for diapers, wipes and a change of clothes. They arent to bring anything unless I ask for it, like refills on diapers.
nannyde 08:16 AM 05-26-2011
No cubbies

The only thing that comes back and forth is the kid and their outer clothing. I just pop their shoes into their coat sleeves and put them on a table downstairs. In the summer it's just shoes.
KEG123 08:19 AM 05-26-2011
My parents have a need to bring the diaper bag. Not sure why, as I already have diapers, wipes and change of clothes here... but whatever. The bags sit in my kitchen, and shoes by the front door. (or on the steps if the kids are in the mood to play with them in bring them into the main living space)
lil angels 08:22 AM 05-26-2011
I don't have them either I just have hooks for coats and they also take their shoes off there also. My cubbies for them are down stairs when people come in with things they sit on my counter till the end of the day and everything goes right back home with them.
youretooloud 08:22 AM 05-26-2011
No cubbies anywhere. I confiscate shoes and put them all in a bucket on the kitchen counter, and they all bring a large bag of diapers and anything they need on a daily basis once a month or so.

If I leave the shoes where they can get to them, I'll never be able to find them at the end of the day.
morgan24 08:45 AM 05-26-2011
I just have a kids size coat rack and a rug by the door for their shoes. I put the coat rack in the coat closet at the end of the day.
MamaBear 08:46 AM 05-26-2011
I dont have cubbies or anything in the doorway. Just coat hooks for their jackets. Nobody really brings things to store during the day, other than coats.
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:52 AM 05-26-2011
I dont have cubbies in my foyer. I put the kids shoes on my boot mats at the front door, their jackets in the front closet, I have cubbies in my basement (dayhome) for the diapers, wipes ,and spare clothes. I do allow the younger kids to wear shoes upstairs, because my hardwood floors are slippery and we all know how the toddlers love to run everywhere!
SilverSabre25 09:06 AM 05-26-2011
No cubbies, just coat hooks by the door. Everyone's coats, even my family's, get stashed on the coat hooks. Shoes are left under the coats, and everything else that needs kept here is in plastic bins on the changing table.
JenNJ 09:45 AM 05-26-2011
Just to clarify, the cubbies are for my use. I keep the children's spare clothes, diapers/pull ups, and sunscreen/bugspray in there. Parents only bring kids in my door.
Cat Herder 09:58 AM 05-26-2011
No cubbies. I have a locked storage closet in the playroom.

No bags, toys, carseats, linens, food or drinks from home.

The only thing in and out each day is the child/ren and coat/jacket when needed.

Diapers and formula are brought in by the case to be kept here. I supply everything else.

One complete change of clothing to include shoes and socks are required to be kept on site as well.

Simplifies my life and theirs.
snbauser 10:08 AM 05-26-2011
I love my cubbies. They are right by the entranceway. Parents come in and put their kids shoes and coats if they have on into their cubbies. Every child has a change of clothes in there (you never know when one will spill something at lunch or get too wet from the water table). I keep their naptime blankets in a bucket on the bottom of the cubby. The top part is for any papers I have for them. It's much easier to just put all of the monthly newsletters or parent reminders, etc in each cubby instead of trying to remember to give it to each parent as they drop off or pick up. When they finish a project to take home they just put them in their cubbies and they aren't forgotten for days on end.
WImom 10:58 AM 05-26-2011
I have cubbies but it's to store the items that stay here (diapers, extra clothes, etc). The kids just come everyday with a bag to put their papers to take home and their lovey back and forth. I have hooks up for the bags and coats and then shoes go underneath.

I like my cubbie though since it's low enough for the sign In and out board.
The kids leave them alone, the kids I have so far anyway.
boysx5 11:12 AM 05-26-2011
no cubbies here I hate clutter and would go nuts with stuff in my foyer. I keep everything in the basement nobody brings a bag I have everything here and keep it in my basement closet out of the way.
Live and Learn 11:14 AM 05-26-2011
No cubbies here.

Shoes off at front door. Diaper bags on front hall bench. Lunch boxes on the kitchen table.

Then we head downstairs to play!!

(I keep their backup outfits and diapers in a tote box in the family room closet where we play.)
NiNi.R. 11:15 AM 05-26-2011
I have a very small entry way, so I began using cubbies for organizational purposes and LOVE THEM. Children keep their shoes and coat there. I also use their cubby as a "mail box" to send home any paperwork or crafts the kids made.Anything in bulk that is brought (diapers/wipes/formula) is stored in the linen closet. In the toy room I turned an old desk into a changing table. The top shelves carry a tote for each diapered child. In the tote I store a small stack of diapers, wipes, and extra outfits. The desk drawers are used for the older children to store their nap time blankets and extra outfits in.

After all that I still had a mom bring a diaper bag for her 3 year old potty trained child. Not sure why but I finally just told her I had no need for it and it would be better if she just left it at home.
countrymom 11:19 AM 05-26-2011
I don't have cubbies either, I do have a closet that has hooks in it. So my own kids put their back packs on and when they leave the dck's hang their coats on, shoes are in the closet. My entry way is small so I don't allow anything that doesn't fit in the closet.

Now I would love cubbies for my own kids, it would be so less stressful for me, but that won't happen ever.

as for the diapers and spare clothes, I have the rubber maid cart on wheels in the daycare room and it stores everything. But I need to get a bigger bin for daycare stuff, like sunhats, hoodies, extra shoes
countrymom 11:20 AM 05-26-2011
anyone have pictures of their cubbies, esp. if you have a small area.
SunflowerMama 11:20 AM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
No cubbies anywhere. I confiscate shoes and put them all in a bucket on the kitchen counter, and they all bring a large bag of diapers and anything they need on a daily basis once a month or so.

If I leave the shoes where they can get to them, I'll never be able to find them at the end of the day.
I'm starting this tomorrow! I was leaving their shoes under their little coat hooks but then shoes end up everywhere and people are wearing other dck's shoes, etc.

I'm just going to take them all when they get here. Same with socks.
SandeeAR 11:21 AM 05-26-2011
No cubbies, No diaper bags. I have a two foot rack with 6 hooks behind my door. I have small canvas bags that hang on the hook. The bag is for their shoes. All diapers and extra clothes are kept in the changing table shelves.
lpperry 11:22 AM 05-26-2011
I don't have cubbies. In our basement, where our main play area is, I have a changing table with a hanging organizer. That is where I keep diapers, wipes, change of clothes, etc.

We have a pool table and that is where I put all of the diaperbags, backpacks, art projects, daily reports, etc. When parents pick up, they grab all of the stuff off the pool table. If I didn't have the pool table, I probably would have to get some kind of cubby system.
WImom 11:44 AM 05-26-2011
countrymom - Here is a photo of my entry area.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h359/sproutswi/
countrymom 01:43 PM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
countrymom - Here is a photo of my entry area.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h359/sproutswi/
thanks so much. I love your daycare room. Its such a nice soothing color, I love it. I love your hooks with their pictures, thats a good idea, and I like the cubbies, I think they sell a six drawer one. I need one that houses extra clothes, I will have to look into that. My layout is a bit wierd, if I have a chance I'll take a picture of it.
Unregistered 06:40 AM 06-01-2011
Hi all...Marstelac here....didn't want to take the time to log in :-(
I did away with the cubbies over the weekend and couldn't be happier!
Thanks for all of your input! I put the kids' stuff elsewhere (off limits to parents & kids) and am one happy camper!
You all are the best!
Tags:cubbies, entry way
Reply Up