Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well That Came Back to Bite Me!
Lil_Diddle 08:22 PM 03-30-2020
My handbook is ever evolving. And now I’m trying to figure out how to address any future epidemics in my handbook. I’ve now learned, and will put it into writing that deposits can not be used when discounts are offered. That the full deposit will be used towards the last two weeks and no refunds.

I watch teachers kids, and because they are all home and keeping the kids at home I dropped the tuition to 50% and called it a holding fee. All parents are still working and getting paid. Anyways, I had two families put in their two weeks today, one family that has three kids. And because I’m offering the 50%, not only am I losing substantial income and money to pay my employees. I also have to pay back $600 in deposits. Deposits always go towards paying the last two weeks of care, so I never pay money back, I just don’t get paid.
Lil_Diddle 08:43 PM 03-30-2020
I’m wondering if I could use this to save myself. He is an excerpt from my handbook about deposits

Upon Enrollment a deposit or $200 will be required per child. This deposit may be paid in full or in weekly installments with the maximum time allowed being eight weeks at $25/per week. The first payment towards deposit must be paid the first day the child is in care. In order to hold and guarantee a future spot the deposit must be paid in full. This deposit will not be refunded but used towards the last two weeks of care. (see discharge)

Notice it says the deposit will not be refunded, but used towards the last two weeks of care. One of the families we are parting on a good note, the other with three kids not so much. I’m wondering if I should just pay and be done with it. I’m also aggravated though that I offered a 50% discount when I didn’t have to and now they are taking advantage. This family is bitter I refused to keep their kids during this virus. Both parents are with the school district. One is a para, and taking with friends that a paras. They aren’t expected to do any work but are still getting paid per their contract. They wanted to bring me their kids 40 hours a week, and when I confronted them about why they were so full of lies. So I’m actually relieved they put in their notice, they have been a stress inducing family the entire time they have been with me... kids included. One part of me is bitter about the money, the other part is just not up for the battle.

I’m hoping schools open when they are currently scheduled for at the end of April and they are beating themselves up about not having childcare for the last month.
Cat Herder 03:32 AM 03-31-2020
If your contract says deposits are non-refundable the 50% tuition offer is irrelevant.

One is a special circumstance. Termination of contract is not.
rosieteddy 05:50 AM 03-31-2020
Cat Herder is right.I would not give a refund.They choose last two weeks so be it.
Ms.Kay 06:07 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
I’m wondering if I could use this to save myself. He is an excerpt from my handbook about deposits

Upon Enrollment a deposit or $200 will be required per child. This deposit may be paid in full or in weekly installments with the maximum time allowed being eight weeks at $25/per week. The first payment towards deposit must be paid the first day the child is in care. In order to hold and guarantee a future spot the deposit must be paid in full. This deposit will not be refunded but used towards the last two weeks of care. (see discharge)

Notice it says the deposit will not be refunded, but used towards the last two weeks of care. One of the families we are parting on a good note, the other with three kids not so much. I’m wondering if I should just pay and be done with it. I’m also aggravated though that I offered a 50% discount when I didn’t have to and now they are taking advantage. This family is bitter I refused to keep their kids during this virus. Both parents are with the school district. One is a para, and taking with friends that a paras. They aren’t expected to do any work but are still getting paid per their contract. They wanted to bring me their kids 40 hours a week, and when I confronted them about why they were so full of lies. So I’m actually relieved they put in their notice, they have been a stress inducing family the entire time they have been with me... kids included. One part of me is bitter about the money, the other part is just not up for the battle.

I’m hoping schools open when they are currently scheduled for at the end of April and they are beating themselves up about not having childcare for the last month.
same here. ..parents are dropping like flies ...saying they cant afford 50%...even though they're both working from home. Im thinking its gonna be another month.. if the parents that left...want back at that point....they'll be getting a new very "special rate"!!! I've come to peace with starting over.
Snowmom 06:49 AM 03-31-2020
In my eyes, you are covered too.

"DCM, as your contract states, deposits are not refundable. You are required to give notice, which your initial deposit will cover. If you wish to wait until the pandemic and stay at home order (if applicable) is released, you can continue to pay the 50% holding fee, which I generously offered families and attend the 2 week termination period when the order is released OR put in your written notice now and the deposit is forfeited to use as the notice period. Thank you and good luck!".
Lil_Diddle 09:08 AM 03-31-2020
Thank you all for your responses
AmyKidsCo 02:23 PM 03-31-2020
Tom Copeland says to not use the word "Deposit" because it implies refunds. I use "Final Payment" and "Holding Fee"

http://tomcopelandblog.com/how-would...rs-program-and
Lil_Diddle 03:25 PM 03-31-2020
Good idea, my husband found a flaw in my wording as well. Definitely things to take a look at again. I always say my handbook is ever changing and evolving as I learn through circumstance or learn through others. I do always have parents sign off on changes so they can’t come back and say they didn’t know. In my current cases I did pull out the families signed contracts stating that they are aware that deposits are not refundable, it also states that they are aware that they pay in full even when schools are closed. I wrote up some very nice letters and noted those two agreements. I mentioned that what they are paying now is a holding fee and that I have been generous when I could have been charging. Both families that are leaving pay monthly so they did over pay in the previous month since the 50% was added and the shut in occurred and schools were closed. So I will be returning that. So in total about $300. But that sure helps over the $600. As of yet the difficult family has yet to respond. That was 6 hours ago.
I should note I also put the temporary policy in place about deposits during this time on our group Facebook page. Most families have liked it, I even had one mother send me a private message at how much they appreciate me and more than happy to pay the 50% so that was nice. I do notice both parents from the difficult family have seen it and did not acknowledge it and choosing not to respond. I’m really hoping they will just take it as it and not try to argue. They have been the only family to cause stress
Tags:coronavirus - handbook, coronavirus - liability waiver, coronavirus - management, covid-19, deposit, deposit - forfeited, handbook - revisions, illness policy - coronavirus
Reply Up