Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Shoes Rule?
mamadaycare 09:07 AM 11-11-2020
So I recently started a no shoes rule with the spike in covid cases in our area. I have one mom who CAN NOT follow the rule. Even after I sent a note home and she signed it saying she understood I don't allow shoes past my entryway. Does anyone charge parents for carpet cleaning if they continue to abuse the rule?
Cat Herder 09:12 AM 11-11-2020
IMHO, It would be easier and much more effective to simply not allow them in.
Unregistered 10:08 AM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
IMHO, It would be easier and much more effective to simply not allow them in.
100% Agree. Drop offs and pickups at door! Makes it easy to transition the kids from/to the child care too.
nanglgrl 10:16 AM 11-11-2020
I’ve been doing drop off and pick up at the door for so long because of advice from this site and the difference in illnesses is insane. I also took advice from this site and extended time children have to be home if they get sick at childcare vs. home at about the same time so I’m not sure which policy has been most effective but so know that before those policies it seemed like we always had something making it’s way through the group and now illness is much less common aning individual children and rarely spreads.
mamadaycare 10:32 AM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I’ve been doing drop off and pick up at the door for so long because of advice from this site and the difference in illnesses is insane. I also took advice from this site and extended time children have to be home if they get sick at childcare vs. home at about the same time so I’m not sure which policy has been most effective but so know that before those policies it seemed like we always had something making it’s way through the group and now illness is much less common aning individual children and rarely spreads.
Thats good to know! I will have to switch over to door drop off! What is your sick policy?
nanglgrl 10:39 AM 11-11-2020
I don’t know if it originated with nannydee or blackcat but basically it’s a 24/48 rule. They get sick at home and can return 24 hours after last symptom, no meds etc. they get sick at daycare and it’s 48 hours after symptoms, no meds etc. I did have to add on to it because I noticed I had parents that would bring sick kids on Friday since they would already be gone 48 hours by Monday so any Friday illness is an automatic exclusion on Monday.
Cat Herder 10:57 AM 11-11-2020
I don’t know if it originated with nannydee or blackcat but basically it’s a 24/48 rule.
It originated with me. It has served me well for many years.
Diane P 01:59 PM 11-11-2020
I bought a shoe rack and I put it 6 feet from my door. Parents take shoes off and put shoes on at drop off and pickup. Works great!
sunshst 03:08 PM 11-11-2020
I have a shoe bench outside the front door. Kids sit and take their shoes off before they enter the house. All drop offs and pick ups are conducted outside. My door only opens to let kids in/out. Parents do not come inside, and on occasions when they do, shoes must be take off outside before they enter. This was a rule even pre-covid. I also have it as a rule in my handbook so no one can complain about it.
LysesKids 05:19 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by sunshst:
I have a shoe bench outside the front door. Kids sit and take their shoes off before they enter the house. All drop offs and pick ups are conducted outside. My door only opens to let kids in/out. Parents do not come inside, and on occasions when they do, shoes must be take off outside before they enter. This was a rule even pre-covid. I also have it as a rule in my handbook so no one can complain about it.
I wish I could have done that while I was open, but my front door area is uncovered & in pouring rain/bad weather & having babies in hand it wasn't feasible; of course all my littles were actually under 24 months so it was no shoes past the front door to start with because the kids were crawling on the floor all the time...

I had a shoe rack literally next to a stool on the wall by the front door. Parents handed me the babes, sat down & took off shoes (some nursed at drop-off) or they stood at the door. Sometimes I had 2-3 arrive at one time so that was crazy (only 4 kids all together), but it worked well for many years
nannyde 03:52 AM 11-12-2020
I don’t know if it originated with nannydee or blackcat but basically it’s a 24/48 rule. They get sick at home and can return 24 hours after last symptom, no meds etc. they get sick at daycare and it’s 48 hours after symptoms, no meds etc. I did have to add on to it because I noticed I had parents that would bring sick kids on Friday since they would already be gone 48 hours by Monday so any Friday illness is an automatic exclusion on Monday.
That would be cathearder
mamadaycare 06:43 AM 11-12-2020
I love all this feedback! I have a long covered front porch so I love the idea of them taking their shoes off out there! I also added the 48 hours to my sick policy! I am currently revamping my contract, is there anything that you guys think I should add for next year to save myself some hassle? It is 1000x better than my first contract this year. I am just so hesitant to send it out because I always feel like something is missing.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by mamadaycare:
So I recently started a no shoes rule with the spike in covid cases in our area. I have one mom who CAN NOT follow the rule. Even after I sent a note home and she signed it saying she understood I don't allow shoes past my entryway. Does anyone charge parents for carpet cleaning if they continue to abuse the rule?
I also do drop offs and pick ups outside. Parents don't enter the house at all so that helps alot!

However if parents do enter the house, I would maybe try to intercept her at the door and physically stand so that you can tell her to stop and take her shoes off.

Maybe addressing it at the point that it happens will help get the message across.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by mamadaycare:
I love all this feedback! I have a long covered front porch so I love the idea of them taking their shoes off out there! I also added the 48 hours to my sick policy! I am currently revamping my contract, is there anything that you guys think I should add for next year to save myself some hassle? It is 1000x better than my first contract this year. I am just so hesitant to send it out because I always feel like something is missing.
Haha! I hear you there! I feel like I get everything written out and presented to parents and then there is always one that does or says something that tells me I clearly forgot to include something in my policies

I try to put out a "newsletter" every 3 months that reminds parents of rules that are being broken as well as mentioning new things that I may have forgot to include in my policies or things that have simply presented themselves as a problem that weren't before.

Its a nice way to communicate seasonal issues too as it seems every season presents it's own set of issues or concerns.

This profession is constantly changing so don't ever feel like you're doing something wrong if you don't cover everything right away. I've been doing this for almost 30 years now and I am still learning and growing every day.....
Cat Herder 07:18 AM 11-12-2020
Every time you think your contract is complete, someone will do something that completely blows your mind.

I recently had to send out a notice that it is not ok to let children relieve themselves on my property.

I did not see that one coming.

Allowing kids to pick my flowers, toss my garden rocks, push over landscape ornaments, toss garbage in my driveway, go into my barns, etc, etc, etc, .... all happened, too.

Parenting has changed, for sure.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 11-12-2020

no truer words have been spoken!

I just had a 4th conversation with a parent about their child needing shoes/boots. I mean it's only 25F here and we have several inches of snow but I can see how shoes/boots would be optional.
Cat Herder 10:03 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
no truer words have been spoken!

I just had a 4th conversation with a parent about their child needing shoes/boots. I mean it's only 25F here and we have several inches of snow but I can see how shoes/boots would be optional.

I have the opposite issue, today. The storms brought some crazy, humid, heat with them (82) and my kids are all in thermal, long sleeves, sweats and boots. I have the A/C down to 66 just to keep them comfortable. All they have in their cubbies is winter stuff because yesterday was, you know, winter....
CountryRoads 01:32 PM 11-12-2020
Every time you think your contract is complete, someone will do something that completely blows your mind.

I recently had to send out a notice that it is not ok to let children relieve themselves on my property.

I did not see that one coming.

Allowing kids to pick my flowers, toss my garden rocks, push over landscape ornaments, toss garbage in my driveway, go into my barns, etc, etc, etc, .... all happened, too.

So funny you say this! I've had 2 parents who let their kids pee outside the fence. We live in a rural area...but still I make sure they go potty before pick-up so this is no longer an issue.

I've also had to send out a very blunt letter regarding where children can and can't go. Dcm would let dck pick tomatoes off my plants, run on our deck, jump on the railing, etc.

Some people
rosieteddy 11:05 AM 11-15-2020
I do not understand why some people allow peeing outside.
Cat Herder 07:16 AM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I do not understand why some people allow peeing outside.
Because it is easier......
Pestle 09:12 AM 11-19-2020
Childless Boomers are on the internet going on about how the kids these days have their every move controlled by their parents and have no freedom to explore and are manipulating their parents into prepping Instagram-ready meals three times a day, and we're over here like "Did you know your son is half a block down the street?" and "If your child doesn't let go of my dog's throat, I will not be responsible for my actions" and "ACTUALLY, children need to eat or they will die and leaving a bowl of lemons sitting out doesn't cut it."
Tags:24/48 rule, buh-bye outside, bye bye outside, covid-19 and daycare
Reply Up