Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holidays and Covid
LeslieG 07:12 AM 11-09-2020
Are any of you nervous about the holidays coming up with Covid? Are you taking more time off or changing your policies?

I'm in MN, which is having a surge in covid cases right now. I know that MY family will not be going to Thanksgiving gathering this year and will be staying home for Christmas too.

I asked one of my daycare parents this morning what their plan for Thanksgiving is this year, and he replied by saying they will be hosting 15 people at their house. That just makes me so nervous. I do not feel comfortable with them bringing their kids back to daycare afterwards. Would you say something?

I'm also thinking of closing Dec 23 - Jan 15 out of an abundance of caution, as I'm sure some families will be around more people during Christmas/New Years.

How do you all feel about doing daycare during the holidays during Covid?
Snowmom 07:32 AM 11-09-2020
Yes, it makes me nervous.
But I also know there not much we can do to avoid getting cases in daycare in the grand scheme. You can tighten your policies, require isolation or close for extended periods. But- you're still relying on families being honest about what they do and to me- that will likely never truly happen.

You may get one or two families who are focused on being truthful and looking out for the group as a whole. But most are just out for themselves. As they always have been.

I've heard from many other business owners about a possible shut down here (MN) again. It will likely happen due to the rising numbers. But I truly don't think it will affect family gatherings.
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Yes, it makes me nervous.
But I also know there not much we can do to avoid getting cases in daycare in the grand scheme. You can tighten your policies, require isolation or close for extended periods. But- you're still relying on families being honest about what they do and to me- that will likely never truly happen.

You may get one or two families who are focused on being truthful and looking out for the group as a whole. But most are just out for themselves. As they always have been.

I've heard from many other business owners about a possible shut down here (MN) again. It will likely happen due to the rising numbers. But I truly don't think it will affect family gatherings.
I agree with Snowmom.

Also in MN. I wrote a letter telling parents that I fully expect them to do their part in preventing the spread of COVID as it impacts us all and while I can't stop anyone from gathering or traveling I will make note of those that do so when ANY symptoms present themselves in even the smallest form I will be excluding from care.

In a perfect world we could trust parents 100% but since that is really not the reality, I can only control what I can control. However I did make mention of the following things in my newsletter for the upcoming holidays.

CenterTeacher20 11:49 AM 11-09-2020
North Dakota here, numbers also surging like crazy. I agree with everyone, I'm nervous. Sooner or later my center will have a shutdown from COVID and I'm gonna be so upset if its because people couldn't just be responsible over Thanksgiving or the holidays.. ugh. Even I cancelled the 20 person Thanksgiving day that I host every year. Honestly, not going to lie, I am sort of excited to be able to just relax over Thanksgiving.

What's really going to upset me is if I see a bunch of DCPs on facebook Black Friday Shopping
dolores 01:31 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
  • I am requiring ALL kids to have their flu vaccines
  • I am excluding for EVERY symptom on my illness policy list regardless of the parent guesses as to what their kid has.
  • Exclusion is now anywhere from 72 hours to 10 days instead of the normal 24-48 hours.
  • I expect open/honest communication in regards to a family's holiday plans as far as large gatherings and/or travel plans and if I suspect or learn a family lied I will terminate care as my family's health and well being (and other DC families) depends on their honesty.
Are you requiring a doctor's note for any symptoms, even let's say a runny nose, for them to return to you?
sahm1225 02:44 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree with Snowmom.

Also in MN. I wrote a letter telling parents that I fully expect them to do their part in preventing the spread of COVID as it impacts us all and while I can't stop anyone from gathering or traveling I will make note of those that do so when ANY symptoms present themselves in even the smallest form I will be excluding from care.

In a perfect world we could trust parents 100% but since that is really not the reality, I can only control what I can control. However I did make mention of the following things in my newsletter for the upcoming holidays.
  • I am requiring ALL kids to have their flu vaccines
  • I am excluding for EVERY symptom on my illness policy list regardless of the parent guesses as to what their kid has.
  • Exclusion is now anywhere from 72 hours to 10 days instead of the normal 24-48 hours.
  • I expect open/honest communication in regards to a family's holiday plans as far as large gatherings and/or travel plans and if I suspect or learn a family lied I will terminate care as my family's health and well being (and other DC families) depends on their honesty.
BC Can you send me your letter? I want to create one too and was hoping for ideas
Blackcat31 04:34 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
Are you requiring a doctor's note for any symptoms, even let's say a runny nose, for them to return to you?
Either a Drs note OR full exclusion until symptom free

Originally Posted by sahm1225:
BC Can you send me your letter? I want to create one too and was hoping for ideas
Absolutely! I値l PM you tomorrow
Meadow 01:57 PM 11-11-2020
Blackcat, could you also send me a copy of your letter?
dolores 07:58 AM 11-13-2020
News about spikes, school shut downs, curfews, and my clients asking if I will be closing are ramping up my anxiety for sure!

I've sent my clients the CDC's recommendations for Thanksgiving & Holidays as well as the Travel Advisory and hope they follow.

I hate that this situation has us policing parents' whereabouts and activities. (Their chatterbox kids give them away every time anyways). I'm just over this part of it.

Screenings, staggered arrivals/pickups, door drop off/pick ups, hand hygiene, sanitizing, exclusion for all symptoms and a doctor's note to return will have to suffice.
Pandaluver21 09:17 AM 11-13-2020
I figure the people that are going to get together with a bunch of people for the holidays, probably already are
I do drop off at the door with masks and have kids remove shoes right away, and wash hands. Not much else I can do... parents are going to do what they want.
LeslieG 06:35 PM 11-14-2020
I've decided to close for the week after Thanksgiving and Dec 23-Jan 15. I may end up not opening back up between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm just too nervous and would rather be safe than sorry! My state had 8,703 confirmed cases just TODAY!!!
xosta 06:32 AM 11-16-2020
We are going to have a big holiday with the whole family, but 2 weeks before we go to a hard lockdown (fortunately, work allows us to do this) and leave the city until the end of the holidays, and then again we get down on a lockdown.
Sunshine69 07:53 AM 11-18-2020
I知 no more nervous about it than any other day of the year.

All my DCPs except one have school aged-kids that have missed so much school due to school sick-policy and quarantine, they are in fear of losing their jobs. I trust they値l make reasonably smart decisions to protect their kids health and their livelihoods.

My state just sent us updated information on travel and mandatory quarantine. I resent that they expect providers to police our clients that way.

On a happier note, I知 looking forward to a less chaotic holiday. I知 just doing a small meal with my children instead of the usual feast with 20 side dishes and five desserts that takes two days to prepare and a day to clean up. It値l be a rare opportunity for quality time with my kids.
Unregistered 05:23 AM 11-20-2020
This year we celebrate only with family, no friends or relatives. We celebrated birthdays in the same way, the children were a little upset, but they understand that health is more important. Since we don't spend much money on holidays, we will save it for travel after quarantine.
Tags:illness policy - coronavirus
Reply Up