Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question on Hiring Assistants/Nannies
PeanutsGalore 09:58 AM 07-15-2011
I'm looking to hire someone to assist me for about 12 hours/month, some nights, some afternoons. I'm having a heck of a time finding reliable people. My best option at the moment is someone who provided me with references I can't get in touch with. One of the numbers doesn't accept phone calls from unknown numbers; and I've left repeat messages on the other number, which rolls into an automated vm box, so I don't even know what the person sounds like.

My instincts say this person is good enough, safe, and might work out really well, but the reference thing is an annoying red flag. I asked her about it, and she said the numbers work for her, so she doesn't know what to say.

Should I move forward or scrap it? I've never hired someone to work with children before, so I kind of need some experienced input.
cheerfuldom 10:28 AM 07-15-2011
She needs to provide different references then. If she has a good reputation, there are more than 2 people that will know about it.
laundrymom 10:30 AM 07-15-2011
I would contact her and give her 3 days for her references to contact you or you will move to the next candidate. You are giving them a job, not asking their opinion on draperies. They either provide you with reachxble references or move on. If they want the job, they will be certain you are called. Good luck
wdmmom 11:06 AM 07-15-2011
I agree with the previous posters. If she's a credible candidate, she will have another couple of references she can provide.

Run a background check and ask her for previous employers to contact as well!
Tags:assistant, nanny, part time help
Reply Up