Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Closing Times...
Angelwings36 10:00 AM 07-19-2011
Alright so my regular opening and closing time is 7:30am - 5:15pm. However, the way it works out all but one client picks up by 4:30pm on Fridays. The one client that doesn't pick up by 4:30pm on Fridays doesn't come until 5:15pm. I did the math and I figured out I am only making $1.17 for the 45 minutes that I remain open for the one client. I run an 8 child daycare. Would you tell the one client that the child has to be picked up by 4:30pm on Fridays...no exceptions? She has EDO's that she can use (instead of taking every third friday off she can use the time to get off early on fridays) and even then if I lost the client over the early closing on Friday I would not be overly upset considering I am offering 3 hours of my time per month at a total of $4.68.

Thoughts....
DaisyMamma 10:51 AM 07-19-2011
If you can afford to lose her and you think she will agree then tell her you are closing early. You are Lucky. My kids leave at 6. All of them! And I had a hard time getting one family to do it. She was picking up some nights at 645.... Way too late!
wdmmom 03:01 PM 07-19-2011
If you only have 1 family that would have an issue with closing up early, I say close early. Either they will accommodate or find a new provider. Keep in mind that if you are going to continue with a 430pm closing time, that may prevent you from getting any new clients that would need a later pick up time. KWIM?!
nannyde 03:12 PM 07-19-2011
That can happen with that big of a group of kids. Staying open for that much time for that little money is enough to make you change policies.

You can offer that the pick up time be by four thirty OR have the parents pay for all eight slots for that day and that time.
cheerfuldom 05:57 PM 07-19-2011
I agree with everyone else but don't tell her you are closing early, just that your closing time has changed.....I know its the same thing but its all about how you word things with some parents.
Crazy8 07:23 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
If you only have 1 family that would have an issue with closing up early, I say close early. Either they will accommodate or find a new provider. Keep in mind that if you are going to continue with a 430pm closing time, that may prevent you from getting any new clients that would need a later pick up time. KWIM?!
this. Right now you can close at 4:30 on Fridays, but will it always be that way? If you can afford to lose the client over it then I'd give her a little notice and make the change. But if you know its just temporary I'm not sure I'd lose the client over it.

I changed my hours from 5:30 to 5:00 a while back. I only had two kids till 5:30 two nights a week, but I really needed to cut back to 5pm due to my own kids activities as they got older. I started only taking new clients until 5pm and manged the few 5:30 nights but when their jobs changed and they needed different days, etc. I told them I couldn't accomodate the 5:30 on any other night. So I just worked with those nights until they moved on to school. I wouldn't give up families I had for 3-5 years for a half hour, but I needed to make the change for my family too.
MARSTELAC 11:09 AM 08-12-2011
My ds has a great opportunity to be on a sports team in another town. I will need to close at 5:15 instead of 5:30. I am going to send home a letter today changing my hours to be open 10.25 hours per day instead of 10.50. Shouldn't be too much of an issue....BUUUUUUTTTTTT (and that's a big but)....How do I word it nicely so they are not hanging around once they arrive at 5:14 and 45 seconds? I will need to be able to get out of my driveway and I have some putsy families.....Can I just tell them I will be leaving my driveway promptly at 5:20? I don't know a nice way to say it!!!! This is going to be a permanent change. I am giving 3 1/2 weeks notice. I posted this on another thread as well cause I couldn't find this one when I needed it. Hope that was okay.
wdmmom 11:28 AM 08-12-2011
Dear families:

Effective (date) I will be changing my closing time from 530pm to 515pm.

By closing at 515pm, departures will need to brief and for insurance purposes, everyone must be departed and off the property no later than 520pm.

Thank you.
MARSTELAC 12:50 PM 08-12-2011
is that what you have on your policy? I have used that insurance line for other things but not for the closing time. I will try it though. Thank you so much!
jojosmommy 01:39 PM 08-12-2011
I have the same issue. I have one client who gets off work at noon on Friday and they always pick up at 5:30 Fridays- which is my closing time. So every Friday I am stuck with just one family. It sucks but I just use the time to get other things done for the weekend. I am not willing to lose the client over it however if it were a different client I might think differently. I guess it depends on if you can part with them or not.
Tags:closing time
Reply Up