Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It's Already Starting ...
MsLaura529 09:34 AM 02-25-2013
So, I have some local moms in the area (aquaintances more so than friends) who know that I'm opening up a daycare. One of them has 2 kids - a 4 year old and an 8 month old. She works retail and is interested in having her kids come to my daycare soon. The thing is, she doesn't have a set schedule and sometimes they would be arriving at 8 am, other times they would be arriving not until 12:30. This would be 2-3 days a week.

I also have another person (I don't know her) who wants me to call her as soon as I get my license, because she wants part-time care for her one year old.

I would be stupid NOT to take part-timers just because I want room for full-time, right? I am only licensed for 6 and have 2 of my own (3.5 and 2 yrs)...

help?
kathiemarie 09:45 AM 02-25-2013
When I first started I took who ever I could. You have to get your name out there. Then as time went on I was able to change what needed to change and now I have a DC that works for me, my family and my DC families. I'll be honest it took maybe 2-3 years to fine tune it. But now its very rare for me to have an opening.
NeedaVaca 09:59 AM 02-25-2013
I think a lot of us made mistakes when starting, taking kids when the hours were not ideal, part timers instead of full time just to fill up, etc...I guess part of it depends on how desperately you need the money

I have a flat rate per week and I love it because I have 2 part time kiddos that pay my weekly rate. The parents love what I offer and had no problem paying that amount!

The DCK with the schedule that will change often, it's up to you if you think it's something you can work with? Maybe start thinking about what you are and are not willing to do. ie: drop offs during lunch, nap time, etc...If you and mom are able to work thru those issues it might not be too bad.

The main thing is set yourself up for success! If you are taking kids that are not a good fit you may end up resentful and miserable with kids that can't get on your schedule, you may feel pulled in too many directions and get burned out fast...
lovemykidstoo 10:00 AM 02-25-2013
I know alot of people dont' like part timers. I am open 4 days a week and only 1 of my 7 kids comes all 4 days. All the others come 2/3 days a week and I am full each day. I have never had a problem filling my days with part time kids. I kinda like it because if a particular child is a pain, it's nice knowing that I don't have him/her every single day
canadiancare 10:08 AM 02-25-2013
If you can afford it don't rush to compromise your ideal situation.
Willow 10:11 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
So, I have some local moms in the area (aquaintances more so than friends) who know that I'm opening up a daycare. One of them has 2 kids - a 4 year old and an 8 month old. She works retail and is interested in having her kids come to my daycare soon. The thing is, she doesn't have a set schedule and sometimes they would be arriving at 8 am, other times they would be arriving not until 12:30. This would be 2-3 days a week.

I also have another person (I don't know her) who wants me to call her as soon as I get my license, because she wants part-time care for her one year old.

I would be stpid NOT to take part-timers just because I want room for full-time, right? I am only licensed for 6 and have 2 of my own (3.5 and 2 yrs)...

help?

I think it really depends on what you're after and how busy your area is.

If you don't need a heftier income and families are tough to come by you should probably take what you can get right off the bat especially.

If however you're after a stable and heftier income stick with full time and let anyone interested know that's all you will be offering regardless of how many calls you're getting. Minimum hours a week attendance if you're charging hourly, or a simple flat rate regardless of hours. Don't even put a part time rate out on the table as an option.

I think a lot of people don't understand that most licensed home providers are really limited as to the number of children they can take, especially if they already have small children of their own.

Blame it on schedules and group cohesion if they still don't grasp the numbers. Kids that come everyday, and have the same schedule, are typically better adjusted, better behaved and will keep the days running far more smoothly.

Personally - the grief and headaches my part time kids brought with them were never worth the minimal amount of income they provided.
melilley 11:07 AM 02-25-2013
First off, congrats on the interest in your daycare before you are even open! I just opened a month ago and finally have 3 full time positions filled! In my experience, all the part time inquiries (I have gotten quite a few) that I have had were pretty much the same as what you have gotten. Part time families who don't have a set schedule for hours or days. I just don't want to deal with that. I told myself I would take only 1, maybe 2 part time children if their schedules coincide where they can be here on different days. I also have a minimum of 2 days at a higher rate per day vs coming full time and they have to be set or they have to pay a higher drop in rate and have to call ahead so there may or may not be an opening.
It's crazy how people want care, but they want us to do what ever days they want. I had one call where the woman wanted 2-3 days, but she didn't know what days and some weeks no days. Crazy to me! It would be nice though if people who want part time would pay the full weekly rate like some pp's have!
MsLaura529 11:21 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
First off, congrats on the interest in your daycare before you are even open! I had one call where the woman wanted 2-3 days, but she didn't know what days and some weeks no days. Crazy to me! It would be nice though if people who want part time would pay the full weekly rate like some pp's have!
Thank you And I posted in your other thread, too, but congrats to you as well!

This particular mom asked about half-days vs part-time, and I told her her kids would definitely not be half-days because either way they would be here for lunch/naps so that would put her at a part-time rate. SHe is going in to talk to her new boss (she just got a promotion, which is giving her more hours) on Wednesday and then she said she'll know more about her schedule then, but she doubts it would be consiistent week to week.

And thank you to everyone for your responses. I think I'll talk tomy husband tonight and get it figured out.
canadiancare 11:36 AM 02-25-2013
if it isn't consistent then you'll be holding a fulltime spot for her to drop in as needed. You'd need to factor in a rate you were willing to live with in that case, in my opinion.
cheerfuldom 11:56 AM 02-25-2013
figure out what you want and stick to that as closely as possible. for most of us, part time kids with random schedules are the most annoying kids to have. if one of these kids is an infant, you are setting yourself up for disaster. its pretty rare that an infant will tolertate a random schedule well at all. a young toddler might do a bit better but even then, it can get pretty hairy. i would recommend NOT working with people that do not have a set schedule unless you absolutely have to. there are numerous issues that come up with this type of family and its not pretty.
WDW 12:37 PM 02-25-2013

I would be stpid NOT to take part-timers just because I want room for full-time, right? I am only licensed for 6 and have 2 of my own (3.5 and 2 yrs)...

help?
Would the kids of the mom who works retail be there everyday, and just come at 12:30 a couple days, or would they only be there 2 or 3 days total? If they were coming everyday, just late sometimes, I would consider that, but just tell them you don't do half days. Give them the option to come full days, or late, but they are paying for a spot. If they were only coming 2 or 3 days total, I would probably hold off on that... esp. if they aren't set days each week. My BIL needed daycare for his son for 2 or 3 rotating days and ended up having to pay full time because that is basically the spot that has to be held. That is in a bigger city, but even here in a smaller town, I don't do half days, and it has worked fine for me. It's hard but you have to start off doing what works for you, and your family.
BumbleBee 04:23 PM 02-25-2013
I just opened in August of 2012 and as of today I have 8 enrolled.

Every single one is part time right now.

This summer I will have 2 full timers and 6 part timers.

In September 2013 I will have 1 full timer & 8 part timers.

Honestly I'm making what I need to cover the bills, run the daycare, pay myself & pay taxes. The schedules are a little crazy sometimes BUT I have some days w/6 kids and some days w/just 2. Secretly I kind of like NOT having 6 kids all day every day but that's just me.
TheGoodLife 04:41 PM 02-25-2013

help?
One thing to consider about a 12:30 DO- what time is lunch is naps going to be? That tends to be a crazy time, and if you do decide to accept her I would maybe tell her that she needs to bring the child before then so it doesn't interrupt. Just a suggestion Congrats on getting the word out so quickly and good luck with the decision- keep us posted!
MsLaura529 05:06 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
One thing to consider about a 12:30 DO- what time is lunch is naps going to be? That tends to be a crazy time, and if you do decide to accept her I would maybe tell her that she needs to bring the child before then so it doesn't interrupt. Just a suggestion Congrats on getting the word out so quickly and good luck with the decision- keep us posted!
Once I hear back from her, and if she wants to go forward with this, I will talk to her more about the schedule - I know her son goes to preschool on tues/thurs mornings, until noon. So if she drops them off after that, which would be by 12:30 at the latest (he goes to preschool very close to me), then that would work out very well.

I think I'm going to go ahead and take her kids ... despite the cray schedule they may be - with her work, she could end up going into full time ... her youngest is only 8 or 9 months, so I could end up having him for the long run. Her son is 4, but a late 4, so he will be going to kindergarten fall of 2014. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she can keep it narrowed down to a specific 3 days each week and that will help with my planning more...

Thank you again for all the differeing view points. Now just to hear back form the licensing agency about when to go to my orientation and I get this thing rolling!
Tags:part time care
Reply Up